BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auction JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auction
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
MikeTRP
MikeTRP
Melbourne, Australia
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
190 registered members (1xfatboy), 1,751 guests, and 605 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
iansouthoz, Lightning Sim, Simon.Holyfield, Bushcreature, Gary Shackleton
10035 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 144
kommando 105
Stuart 67
Popular Topics(Views)
476,705 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,721
Posts635,225
Members10,035
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: what do the English think of Americans? in general...... [Re: rusty] #241122
03/04/09 8:50 pm
03/04/09 8:50 pm
Melbourne Fl
T
Terry_tr6 Offline
BritBike Forum member
Terry_tr6  Offline
BritBike Forum member
T
Melbourne Fl
Rusty, CMP still has M1's for $495 and $595, carbines for the same. Andy you will know that it is from the US Gov, not something someone slapped togeather from spare parts.
I'd guess between the CMP, DCM and importers like Century arms and Blue Sky, there are several million M1's and carbines in citizens hands. Of course, lots of Enfields, AK's and SKS's too. Don't we have something like 450 million guns in civilian hands?

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Re: what do the English think of Americans? in general...... [Re: rusty] #241136
03/04/09 9:51 pm
03/04/09 9:51 pm
Elko, Nevada USA
dave - NV Offline
BritBike Forum member
dave - NV  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Elko, Nevada USA
Scene I:
You and your pals are riding the Goldies 'just a little bit' over the A Road speed limit ignoring the speed camera flashes.
(along a US country highway, these pole mounted radar controlled cameras would have a life expectancy measured in days!)

You quickly come up on 5-6 cars at the limit (speed camera shy you know). Bear in mind the car drivers aren't aware we are USrs, just motor bike guys.

All of the cars ahead of us move in unison to the far left verge inviting us to 'ride the line' past them.
But there's more ...
The oncoming traffic sensing what's happening also move over to their verge also welcoming us to 'ride the line'!

Folks this ain't never happened in Oklahoma or Joisey !! ever

Scene II:
You and your GSr pals are on the (hateful) motorway.
We're Tuned up and in survival mode. Here's where you will change your mind about polite UK drivers. I believe it may be because there's no 'speed cameras' on the M roads? There are many 'ricky racer' agressive driver types in their fast little sports sedans 'being sporty' in amoung the mix.
The safest drill is to ride in the 'slow' lane next to the verge as we do in the states, so to have an escape path out of traffic if 'things' happen.
Unlike the US drivers they pay lots of attention to Not passing on the left.

Anyhow .............. My worst M road experience.
One early evening we were riding through some heavy traffic. I had moved into the faster lanes passing trucks and against my plans ended up at 85-90 per moving with the traffic in the far right lane next to the ARMCO. hmmm. I'm riding along and hear engine noise ...
The Beemers front bumper was about a foot away from my leg and he than passed me Sharing My Lane between me and the ARMCO. ooohh. The @##$% Jerk!
But that's OK. Things happen.

Scene III:
Nearly every time we stayed over night at a English or Whales B&B or Pub, the owner at least gave us locked fence and sometimes parking in his garage. Nice, very nice.
Yanks on olde Brit Bikes are well taken care of!
I like that..

Scene IV:
Tipping a male bar tender in the UK seems to insult him and I made that mistake a couple times. However this doesn't apply to the young lady pub workers who appreciate a tip.

Now please don't call me an 'ugly American'...
If you leave a US Gold Dollar coin or two tip for the serving ladies, you will be pleasantly surprised at the extra nice service you will receive then and every time you stop by!

BTW the gold dollars should be available for the asking at most US banks.

Last edited by dave - NV; 03/04/09 10:03 pm.

dave - NV
Re: what do the English think of Americans? in general...... [Re: Barb] #241146
03/04/09 11:13 pm
03/04/09 11:13 pm
British Columbia
hh Offline
BritBike Forum member
hh  Offline
BritBike Forum member
British Columbia
Originally Posted By: Barb
To be serious for a second: Rusty, it's my opinion that the English people are responsible for saving western civilization from September, 1939 until we saw fit to help them. We were indeed the arsenal of democracy, because Nazi bombers couldn't reach us...

Since you're being serious, is this the kind of help you're talking about:

http://reformed-theology.org/html/books/wall_street/

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin
Re: what do the English think of Americans? in general...... [Re: hh] #241149
03/05/09 12:14 am
03/05/09 12:14 am
Western Washington State (USA)
Barb Offline
BritBike Forum member
Barb  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Western Washington State (USA)
.......oh, please. sleep

Barb (Three MustGetBeers)
"Midnight girl in a sunset town.."

Britney the B44
Bella the '69 T120
Pip the Triumph (I have "Great Expectations!")
Jaelith the '77 XS650/chair
The unnamed '79 XS650 with...potential
Millie the R80 BMW--she's "Thoroughly Modern"
Re: what do the English think of Americans? in general...... [Re: Kent Shaun] #241153
03/05/09 12:25 am
03/05/09 12:25 am
New Hampshier USA
MikeG Offline
BritBike Forum member
MikeG  Offline
BritBike Forum member
New Hampshier USA
Rusty
I agree with Barb about English resolve but while we preached isolationism we were really more deeply involved. My father joined the Army Air Corps in Jan 1940 and by Jan. 1941, 12 months before Pearl Harbor, was stationed in Iceland protecting the convoy routes. His unit was credited with being the first US marked and piloted aircraft to down a German plane after Dec.8th 41.He was never considered part of a combat air crew but was placed in harms way enough times, and he was away from home and family for 4 1/2 years. Not as glamorus as flying a Spitfire or Hurricane in the Battle but he did what he was asked to do and did it proudly. And lets not forget all those civilian merchant seamen who lost their lives on those convoy routes.
On another note I too have an Arisaka Type 99 manufactured in 43. Still has the mum but the upper fore stock is broken which makes me think it was a battle field pickup and not taken from the home island after the war. Have you shot yours? Ran a few rounds through mine and it's pretty good out to about 70 80 yards or so. Any ideas on where I can get a stock would be greatly appreciated.
MikeG

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
Re: what do the English think of Americans? in general...... [Re: MikeG] #241154
03/05/09 12:48 am
03/05/09 12:48 am
milton iowa USA
R
rusty Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
rusty  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
R
milton iowa USA
Originally Posted By: MikeG
Rusty
I agree with Barb about English resolve but while we preached isolationism we were really more deeply involved. My father joined the Army Air Corps in Jan 1940 and by Jan. 1941, 12 months before Pearl Harbor, was stationed in Iceland protecting the convoy routes. His unit was credited with being the first US marked and piloted aircraft to down a German plane after Dec.8th 41.He was never considered part of a combat air crew but was placed in harms way enough times, and he was away from home and family for 4 1/2 years. Not as glamorus as flying a Spitfire or Hurricane in the Battle but he did what he was asked to do and did it proudly. And lets not forget all those civilian merchant seamen who lost their lives on those convoy routes.
On another note I too have an Arisaka Type 99 manufactured in 43. Still has the mum but the upper fore stock is broken which makes me think it was a battle field pickup and not taken from the home island after the war. Have you shot yours? Ran a few rounds through mine and it's pretty good out to about 70 80 yards or so. Any ideas on where I can get a stock would be greatly appreciated.
MikeG

by my markings mine was made anywhere from 1939 to 1945, im guessing closer to 1939. as mine is not a "last ditch" rifle. the mum on mine has been ground off, but not a good job of it, i can still see it, i have not shot mine yet. ammo is hard to find, just one company makes it. i have a couple boxs tho. waiting for a nice day. i just won on eBay an bayonet for it.

Re: what do the English think of Americans? in general...... [Re: rusty] #241183
03/05/09 5:33 am
03/05/09 5:33 am
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content

Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member
Central Virginia
Be CAREFUL CAREFUL CAREFUL about shooting old war-surplus bolt action rifles, first time around. Most of them are fine old pieces of equipment, BUT a co-worker of mine in 1991 bought a Carcano at a show not realizing the firing pin was jammed open, loaded it, shoved the bolt forward and the cartridge fired before the bolt went "into battery", came back out of the receiver into his face and killed him instantly.

If you're not a gunsmith, have one check it out before shooting it!

I've got several Mausers and an Enfield and had them all checked ...

Lannis

We're approaching the tipping point ... where those who vote for a living will outnumber those who work for a living .....
Re: what do the English think of Americans? in general...... [Re: Lannis] #241214
03/05/09 11:24 am
03/05/09 11:24 am
New Hampshier USA
MikeG Offline
BritBike Forum member
MikeG  Offline
BritBike Forum member
New Hampshier USA
Rusty-From what I've found out the last ditch wepons were really junk and not very safe to fire even when new. The fact that they existed however gives a real insight to the Japanese mindset of the time and why the US did what it did to end the war.

http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html

Go to this site for info on when yours was made. If the bore on yours is chromed it is probably not a last ditch
Lannis-good advice. I probably should have had it checked but instead I tied it to the bench and fired the first round with a piece of clothsline from ten feet away.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
71 Norton Commando
Re: what do the English think of Americans? in general...... [Re: MikeG] #241346
03/06/09 2:36 am
03/06/09 2:36 am
Elburn, Ill. USA
I
Irish Swede Online content
BritBike Forum member
Irish Swede  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I
Elburn, Ill. USA
The firearms talk is interesting. I have been told by G.I who was in the USA occupation of Japan that Arisaka rifles turned over to the USA Army there came off the barracks rifle racks, and the bolts in them were only for show - they were "soft", not hardened, and the REAL bolts were held under lock-and-key to prevent the rifle from being used (more than ONCE)in case of theft. I would not even think of firing one unless it was first inspected by an expert.
My knowledge of the English people comes kinda second-hand, as my wife is full-blooded English (all four grandparents came from there) My mom-in-law was born in the USA, but when she speaks everyone thinks she came from the U.K. because she grew up hearing her parents speak that way. She still does.
As I am part Irish but married to a girl of English descent, arguements can get interesting. And my mom-in-law has some odd (to me) ways of looking at life, but that is another story.
What is the line? "The British and the Americans are one race, separated by a common language."
And YES, Barb, my mom-in-law knows the English art of making peas into green mush, and soaking bread in warm milk and calling it "dinner."

Re: what do the English think of Americans? in general...... [Re: Irish Swede] #241352
03/06/09 2:52 am
03/06/09 2:52 am
milton iowa USA
R
rusty Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
rusty  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
R
milton iowa USA
not all of these rifles was turned in in the "home land" the japs had lots of troops on lots of occupied islands and other countrys, the japanese troops turned them in at where ever they was when japan surrendered. some was turned over in the phillipes, (sp).

here some info that alot of people dont know..... in ww2 the japs invaded alaska, and held it for a few months, i small part of it anyway. until we made a big push there and got them out, you know that harber on that tv show "deadlest catch" about the crab fishing boats, thats where the japs landed. and spread out abit from there.

Re: what do the English think of Americans? in general...... [Re: Irish Swede] #241353
03/06/09 2:53 am
03/06/09 2:53 am
milton iowa USA
R
rusty Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
rusty  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
R
milton iowa USA
not all of these rifles was turned in in the "home land" the japs had lots of troops on lots of occupied islands and other countrys, the japanese troops turned them in at where ever they was when japan surrendered. some was turned over in the phillipes, (sp).

here some info that alot of people dont know..... in ww2 the japs invaded alaska, and held it for a few months, i small part of it anyway. until we made a big push there and got them out, you know that harber on that tv show "deadlest catch" about the crab fishing boats, thats where the japs landed. and spread out abit from there.

Re: what do the English think of Americans? in general...... [Re: rusty] #241412
03/06/09 2:16 pm
03/06/09 2:16 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content

Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member
Central Virginia
Originally Posted By: rusty

The Aleutian Islands of Attu and Kiska are the two the Japanese took, nothing there originally but a coast guard stations and a weather station and a fishing port, my Dad was there later in the war in the Navy. 15 year later when I were a lad, we lived on Kodiak Island for two years.

Also little known is the fact that a Japanese pilot did a wheels-up landing in his out-of-fuel Zero fighter on an Aleutian island in 1942, the plane wasn't damaged but the pilot was killed when his head hit the canopy. We found it, took it apart to find out why the Japanese Navy pilots were kicking our behinds so hard with our sailors and Marines flying F4F Wildcats, and designed the F6F Hellcat based on some of the principles they used. That was the beginning of the end of Japanese naval air power in the Pacific.

My father, father-in-law, and uncle were all in the Pacific in that war, and I get it (or got it) first hand ...

Lannis

We're approaching the tipping point ... where those who vote for a living will outnumber those who work for a living .....
Re: what do the English think of Americans? in general...... [Re: Lannis] #241443
03/06/09 5:31 pm
03/06/09 5:31 pm
milton iowa USA
R
rusty Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
rusty  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
R
milton iowa USA
im a history and milatary channel freak... im all the time watching shows on these kind of stuff

Re: what do the English think of Americans? in general...... [Re: rusty] #241483
03/06/09 9:29 pm
03/06/09 9:29 pm
Belgium
79x100 Offline
BritBike Forum member
79x100  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Belgium
Rusty, you should be OK in Britain as long as you avoid talking about the war which strangely enough if you recall 'Fawlty Towers' used to be the advice given to the British when dealing with Germans.

The Germans have been pretty well rehabilitated now. Those born since the war can't be blamed for it.

The position regarding the US though seems to have been getting steadily worse thanks to the efforts of authors like Steven Ambrose and Hollywood films like 'U-571. Quite honestly the ignoring of British and Candian efforts in Normandy does rankle a bit

Perhaps to the average cinema audiences these films are just entertainment but to those with half an interest in the subject, they seem like yet another attempt at re-writing history.

You'll find nothing but respect for US veterans and their sacrifices but something less for the modern propagandists.

Anyway, you'll be alright, you deal with the British on internet forums so you'll know straight away when they're taking the piss (Between 90% and 95% of the time, depending on how much ale has been consumed).

'39 WD16H
'75 850 Commando
Re: what do the English think of Americans? in general...... [Re: 79x100] #241485
03/06/09 9:35 pm
03/06/09 9:35 pm
Kent UK
Blapper Offline
BritBike Forum member
Blapper  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Kent UK
Us? Take the piss? Oh, how could you say that! shocked

wink redwine

Re: what do the English think of Americans? in general...... [Re: Blapper] #241543
03/07/09 4:40 am
03/07/09 4:40 am
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content

Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member
Central Virginia
Originally Posted By: 79x100

The position regarding the US though seems to have been getting steadily worse thanks to the efforts of authors like Steven Ambrose and Hollywood films like 'U-571.

Exactly right, what a horrible movie and historically inaccurate in every respect.

It implied that American sailors boarded a U-boat and acquired an Enigma machine, when in fact it was the British who acquired the first Enigma machine, and the U-571 was sunk by a BRITISH patrol bomber in 1944, with no American involvement at all. If I was British I'd be pissed off too. People make these movies for a reason, and it doesn't smell good.

For real heroics, though, it's hard to beat the taking of the U-505 in the Atlantic off the coast of Africa, the first time an enemy man-of-war was taken by a boarding action since the War of 1812 and probably the last time it will ever happen. An American task force including a carrier and destroyers forced the U-505 to the surface, and the carrier planes specifically tried to shoot up the conning tower so that the submarine would not sink, but could not dive. After taking a lot of damage, the German crew abandoned ship, first opening the sea-cocks for scuttling but failing to destroy the ships papers and codes.

American sailors and divers boarded the sinking submarine, dove down into the guts of the boat, found the sea cocks, and closed them before the boat sank. They then pumped out the water, recharged the batteries by towing the U-boat behind the carrier with the propellers turning, and the motors rewired as generators, and got it moving again.

I just can't imagine doing that. My worst nightmare would be to be trapped down inside a pitch black sinking ship trying to find the right valve to turn. Amazing what people can do ...

Lannis

Re: what do the English think of Americans? in general...... [Re: Lannis] #241560
03/07/09 11:41 am
03/07/09 11:41 am
Kent
KarlB Offline
BritBike Forum member
KarlB  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Kent
Really it's a pity they just didn't make a movie about what really happened, much more interesting IMHO:

http://users.telenet.be/d.rijmenants/en/enigmauboats.htm

They were apparently after the codebooks not the machines. They had older machines and had worked out how to mimic the new ones using what was the first real computer.

Don't forget we had National Service here till 1963 so a lot of our dads (for those of us over forty) served in the military...

KarlB
Big day has come and gone and still no idea what Project 50 will be!
Re: what do the English think of Americans? in general...... [Re: KarlB] #241582
03/07/09 1:43 pm
03/07/09 1:43 pm
New Hampshier USA
MikeG Offline
BritBike Forum member
MikeG  Offline
BritBike Forum member
New Hampshier USA
For a good insight into what the U boat war was like read the book Operation Drumbeat. The author did extensive interviews with the captain and crew of U123. No wonder it was called the coffin service in the early days.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
71 Norton Commando
Re: what do the English think of Americans? in general...... [Re: MikeG] #241585
03/07/09 2:05 pm
03/07/09 2:05 pm
milton iowa USA
R
rusty Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
rusty  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
R
milton iowa USA
The real U-571 was never involved in any such events, was not captured, and was in fact sunk in January 1944, off Ireland, by a Short Sunderland flying boat from No. 461 Squadron, Royal Australian Air Force.

it was British personnel from HMS Bulldog who first captured a naval Enigma machine, from U-110 in the North Atlantic May 1941, before the United States entered the war.

Re: what do the English think of Americans? in general...... [Re: rusty] #241591
03/07/09 2:18 pm
03/07/09 2:18 pm
UK
J
Janet Offline
BritBike Forum member
Janet  Offline
BritBike Forum member
J
UK
Janet tries to bring this back on topic.

What do the English think of Americans?
That their feather head-dresses look really pretty.

Re: what do the English think of Americans? in general...... [Re: Janet] #241594
03/07/09 2:31 pm
03/07/09 2:31 pm
, Lower -Lower michigan
Bob S Offline
BritBike Forum member
Bob S  Offline
BritBike Forum member
, Lower -Lower michigan
Man...................i thought i got off topic!!!!

Bob S
Street Rods, Kustom Kars,A BSA,Cushmans,H.Shadow ACE, Now a 2004 triumph america . "More than enough!!!!
Re: what do the English think of Americans? in general...... [Re: Janet] #241597
03/07/09 2:54 pm
03/07/09 2:54 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content

Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member
Central Virginia
Originally Posted By: Janet
Janet tries to bring this back on topic.

What do the English think of Americans?
That their feather head-dresses look really pretty.

I was disappointed, myself. When I was in the UK I looked for native Britons, but mostly found Angles and Saxons and Normans. Not a blue painted face in sight. What's this world coming to? What did you do with them?

Lannis

Re: what do the English think of Americans? in general...... [Re: Lannis] #241601
03/07/09 4:13 pm
03/07/09 4:13 pm
New Hampshier USA
MikeG Offline
BritBike Forum member
MikeG  Offline
BritBike Forum member
New Hampshier USA
Lannis-perhaps you Pict the wrong time to go.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
71 Norton Commando
Re: what do the English think of Americans? in general...... [Re: Lannis] #241604
03/07/09 4:19 pm
03/07/09 4:19 pm
UK
J
Janet Offline
BritBike Forum member
Janet  Offline
BritBike Forum member
J
UK
They were banishedto Scotland where they keep hidden most of the time, hunting the wild haggis and trainingtheir killer midges to attack foreign invaders. They do come out with their blue and white painted faces when they hear the skirl of the pipes, often at the battlefields of Hampden Park or Murrayfield. Occasionally they make an understandable mistake and emerge when a cat is wailing.

Re: what do the English think of Americans? in general...... [Re: Kent Shaun] #241641
03/07/09 9:05 pm
03/07/09 9:05 pm
hampshire, england
T
t120mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
t120mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member
T
hampshire, england
I met a lot of American collegues in the cold war days; they were all great guys but you would expect that they would be; We didn't let OUR idiots loose on the Americans, or anyone else for that matter! We kept them at home where we could ensure they didn't start a war or something.
I kept hoping that the Queen would send me to America for a meeting or something so I could see for myself but she never did. Maybe I was one of those being kept at home by my lot in case I started a war or something.....
So I actually PAID money and went to the States all on my own for two months to see for myself. I was treated with the utmost kindness by (almost) everyone I met. Their generosity was extraordinary and I was rarely, if ever, lonely. Although travelling entirely on my own, I never felt insecure. I only met two a$$holes. They were both park rangers who had an attitude problem in re sports bikes. Never have I met two people more unsuitable to carry pistols. But then that's a peculiarly American solution. We're different sides of the same coin.

(One thing I must say is how asonished I was at the reaction I got from the girlfriend of a 19-year-old US Marine who had just come home from Gulf War 2, when I offered him a beer in his own home! Now THAT was culture shock!)

Last edited by t120mike; 03/07/09 9:06 pm. Reason: spelling!

mike
Member #: 147
1960 T120 Bonneville
1999 H*%^a VFR 800 FI
V4 Triton Project (still keeping me sane (Ha-Ha!))
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership