BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
tombeau
tombeau
Finland
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
31 registered members (Adam M.), 314 guests, and 402 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Biscuits, DT 150, DamienE, vietnammotorbike, Lennart Liljedah
10291 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 95
Lannis 66
Mori55 64
Popular Topics(Views)
638,117 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,396
Posts654,367
Members10,291
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Best Triumph Clutch [Re: Blapper] #234237
01/24/09 3:53 pm
01/24/09 3:53 pm
Ontario Canada
S
Snakepitt Offline
BritBike Forum member
Snakepitt  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Ontario Canada
I have to take back my suggestion of the Bunn breather. I just put one on my bike. Just running it in the shop the exhaust checkvalve blew. This was a waste of money. It cost me $126 CDN shipped from BCS. I don't have the airbox any more so I just ran the crankcase vent straight out the back fender. I'll see how it works.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Best Triumph Clutch [Re: Snakepitt] #234309
01/24/09 9:37 pm
01/24/09 9:37 pm
Kent UK
Blapper Offline
BritBike Forum member
Blapper  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Kent UK
Hi Snakebit,

Sorry to hear that, but BLEW the exhaust checkvalve? Did you put them in line the wrong way round so the crankcase pumped up or summat? They should take reasonable pressure, I'm confused (nothing unusual there then)!

Blapper redwine

Re: Best Triumph Clutch [Re: Jack Adams] #234319
01/24/09 10:32 pm
01/24/09 10:32 pm
East Bethany New York
Dick Harris Online content
BritBike Forum member
Dick Harris  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
East Bethany New York
Well Blap,our only difference of opinion on belt vs. the original is the difference between "want" and "need" I'm sure the belt drive(set up properly) will work just fine on a road bike as many have, and are. As far as your sticking clutch plates are conserned,that is a different issue and can be rectified with a great deal less money than changing to beltdrive with the accompanying breathing problems. Dick

Re: Best Triumph Clutch [Re: Dick Harris] #234343
01/25/09 2:35 am
01/25/09 2:35 am
spfld vt
P
phantom309 Offline
BritBike Forum member
phantom309  Offline
BritBike Forum member
P
spfld vt
Regardless if it was my street bike or race bike i would make my timing cover breather mods so I could seal up the prymary oil so it stays only in the prymary. That dirty clutch oil need not see the rest of the motor imo.

Tim Joyce
sponsors
D@D cycles
Works shocks
Glass from the past
Re: Best Triumph Clutch [Re: phantom309] #234347
01/25/09 3:20 am
01/25/09 3:20 am
Ontario Canada
S
Snakepitt Offline
BritBike Forum member
Snakepitt  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Ontario Canada
Quote:
Sorry to hear that, but BLEW the exhaust checkvalve? Did you put them in line the wrong way round so the crankcase pumped up or summat? They should take reasonable pressure, I'm confused (nothing unusual there then)!

Yes...It was installed correctly with crankcase pressure flowing out. The valve just became full open in both directions

Re: Best Triumph Clutch [Re: Snakepitt] #234364
01/25/09 8:30 am
01/25/09 8:30 am
Kent UK
Blapper Offline
BritBike Forum member
Blapper  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Kent UK
Hey Dick,

Thanks, I unnerstand now.

Well, I had the 'want' you talk about, and I also had a clutch that just didn't work (at all) and when stripped was completely horrible (every single part), crank cases that had a bit busted out of the hole where the tensioner is adjusted so it would always leak without a difficult repair (oh, how I hate leaks), a dislike of the 'floppy when lever pulled in' clutch design, and - as Tim says - a dislike of clutch debris getting thrown up the bores and onto cams and followers.

Given that all, I had no option but get the MAP deluxe belt kit and in fact was going to 'stick' (pardon the pun) with an updated wet clutch until I saw the sealed bearing jobbie and that did it. I would have had to change all the parts anyway, so I would have gone for an alloy basket, MAP plates, MAP pressure plate and all new everything else anyway and also done the breather mod, so the belt drive part is almost a detail. A little bonus though is that it should be quieter than a chain - Tim?

Boy how I wish there had been room for them to put an extra bearing in the door plate...

Snakebit,

Although I am sure you either put them in wrong like I said above or it is your (sorry, but I think wrong also) back to front breathing system. My recollection of the Bunn system isn't yours. IIRC it is in through restricted rockerbox to purge gasses and out though large TDC tool hole. Anything else is not well thought through IMHO.

Why not send it back? It must be faulty if you put it together OK. You could either put the money into a quality designed neat valve like a KrankVent, or try one of those B*W ones - at that price you could do both!

Blapper redwine

Re: Best Triumph Clutch [Re: Blapper] #234398
01/25/09 3:37 pm
01/25/09 3:37 pm
Ontario Canada
S
Snakepitt Offline
BritBike Forum member
Snakepitt  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Ontario Canada
Quote:

Snakebit,

Although I am sure you either put them in wrong like I said above or it is your (sorry, but I think wrong also) back to front breathing system. My recollection of the Bunn system isn't yours. IIRC it is in through restricted rockerbox to purge gasses and out though large TDC tool hole. Anything else is not well thought through IMHO.

Why not send it back? It must be faulty if you put it together OK. You could either put the money into a quality designed neat valve like a KrankVent, or try one of those B*W ones - at that price you could do both!

Blapper redwine

Now how can you be sure that I put it in wrong. I've been working on bikes for forty years. It was in right. I do not run a belt and was venting out the primary and intake through the TDC hole. Rockerbox left as stock. Quite alright according to Mr Bunn who I discussed it with beforehand.
If it was installed wrong pressure would have built up (the only exit being the rocker box), with oil leaks probably occurring all over.
I was just passing along my experience with the plastic exhaust valve which I think inferior and probably cannot handle the exhaust vapor without failing. (at least in my case)
According to Bunn you can do a bottom/bottom, bottom/top, or top,bottom vent design.
Personally I feel to exhaust out the TDC hole is not the way to go because of the extra oil fling there. Especially if you are running the stock primary vent (not sealed off).
BTW, I am going to check for a refund and have looked into a Krankvent but still not sure and looking for feedback from those who have used it.

Last edited by Snakepitt; 01/25/09 3:41 pm.
Re: Best Triumph Clutch [Re: Snakepitt] #234427
01/25/09 6:17 pm
01/25/09 6:17 pm
chatham kent UK
john toghill Offline
BritBike Forum member
john toghill  Offline
BritBike Forum member
chatham kent UK
I've got a Krankvent ready to fit on my T140V when I get enough parts back to start reassembly mad
They are pricey, but very well made and I've had experience of fitting one on my Sunbeam S7. On the Beam the factory fitted breather is in the front of the rocker box-cam cover and on a lot of Beams it's prone to failure and difficult to fix. I'm not convinced they ever worked well which is why you see many Sunbeams that have been ridden at all hard with engines smothered in oil. A new breather can be fitted in the dipstick cover and I attached my Krankvent there. It works really well and has done a few thousand miles since, keeping the engine clean. All I ever get out of the end of the vent pipe, which is run to the rear of the bike, is a little emulsion where oil mist has mixed with condensation. I did try adding a smaller intake valve on the cam cover at one time, but found small oil seepage's occurred at high speeds, yes my Beam will do a tad over 80 mph but I don't make a habit of it, it's a rare occasion. All these older engines are far from air tight and are quite capable of drawing in air to replace some that is pumped out of the breather. You're not after a vacuum, just trying to obtain negative pressure and the Krankvent does a good job and seems to be very reliable and long lasting. So far I've not heard of one failing. The only downside apart from the price is the noise, you can hear the thing working.
A Couple of pics to show how clean it keeps my Beam and I don't clean the engine very often, no need.The second pic shows where I've re-postioned the device to allow oil to drain back down the outlet pipe, not that there has ever been any evidence of oil being blown out, just thought it made sense.
John

the trouble with the world today is apathy; but I don't care.
British Motorcycles, built to last, till worn out.
Re: Best Triumph Clutch [Re: john toghill] #234450
01/25/09 8:07 pm
01/25/09 8:07 pm
Ontario Canada
S
Snakepitt Offline
BritBike Forum member
Snakepitt  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Ontario Canada
Thanks John...I've ordered one from www.et-performance.com

Re: Best Triumph Clutch [Re: Blapper] #234478
01/25/09 11:19 pm
01/25/09 11:19 pm
, Lower -Lower michigan
Bob S Offline
BritBike Forum member
Bob S  Offline
BritBike Forum member
, Lower -Lower michigan
BLAP--------YOU CAN'T PLEASE ALL THE PEOPLE ALL THE TIME OR SOME OF THE PEOPLE PART OF THE TIME OR NONE OF THE PEOPLE ANY OF THE TIME. i think a belt would be aquieter way to go........but hey what the heck do i know,All
i have ever seen on bikes is chains, so i'm inclined that way no big grin deal. I stand on the fifth amendment.
bob s

Bob S
Street Rods, Kustom Kars,A BSA,Cushmans,H.Shadow ACE, Now a 2004 triumph america . "More than enough!!!!
Re: Best Triumph Clutch [Re: john toghill] #234495
01/26/09 1:40 am
01/26/09 1:40 am
Houston Texas
Britbodger R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
Britbodger R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance
Houston Texas
Lovely bike!

I've always liked them Sunbeams. grin

P.S. I have a Krankvent on my AHRMA Triumph. Seems to work bigt

Re: Best Triumph Clutch [Re: Britbodger R.I.P.] #234530
01/26/09 9:42 am
01/26/09 9:42 am
Kent UK
Blapper Offline
BritBike Forum member
Blapper  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Kent UK
I have one on mine too. They are quality items.

$126 for a $15 K&N filter two plastic valves and some tube? Looks like $25 worth to me, and that is if it works! laughing

redwine

Re: Best Triumph Clutch [Re: Blapper] #234891
01/28/09 10:53 am
01/28/09 10:53 am
Gnashville
DavidP Offline

BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Offline

BritBike Forum member
Gnashville
1. So what's wrong with using a $4 PCV valve in the breather line?

2. How the heck is clutch debris going to get into the engine through ducts which experience only positive pressure relative to the clutch housing?

3. Aren't you belt-drive dudes afraid of one day having to admit that your bike's rubber band broke?

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
Re: Best Triumph Clutch [Re: DavidP] #234892
01/28/09 11:08 am
01/28/09 11:08 am
Kent UK
Blapper Offline
BritBike Forum member
Blapper  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Kent UK
1. You can do that on your bike if, in your understanding of what happens, you think that is good enough. No problem.

2. Really? Only positive pressure?

3. laughing

Blapper redwine

Re: Best Triumph Clutch [Re: Blapper] #234997
01/28/09 9:16 pm
01/28/09 9:16 pm
Newport, Rhode Island
C
Clinton Duffy Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Clinton Duffy  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
C
Newport, Rhode Island
Haha Boy did this topic go way off course. Has anyone seen "The Motorcycle Diaries" about Che Guervara? Good movie besides the subtitles but they ride an old Norton single through South America.

Re: Best Triumph Clutch [Re: Blapper] #235751
02/02/09 3:20 pm
02/02/09 3:20 pm
Texas
D
DH Offline
BritBike Forum member
DH  Offline
BritBike Forum member
D
Texas
Blapper:
Whose belt drive are you showing in the photo? I have used Tony Haywards and it is very difficult to fit. Tony blames Triumph for poor and inconsistent machining!!

Dave

Re: Best Triumph Clutch [Re: DH] #235765
02/02/09 5:45 pm
02/02/09 5:45 pm
Kent UK
Blapper Offline
BritBike Forum member
Blapper  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Kent UK
Dave,

Tony Hayward does have some very 'unique' ideas - especially involving oil and belts....

Mine is the MAP Deluxe with stabilised double bearing assembly. There is 3/4" slop cold with this belt so you can throw it on from across the room.

HTH

Blapper redwine

Re: Best Triumph Clutch [Re: Blapper] #236061
02/04/09 8:38 pm
02/04/09 8:38 pm
Texas
D
DH Offline
BritBike Forum member
DH  Offline
BritBike Forum member
D
Texas
Thanks....
What do you think the price is at MAP??

Dave
T120C

'65 T120C
'65 TT Special
'67 TR6c
'69 Bonnie
'70 Bonnie
'98 Trophy 1200

Re: Best Triumph Clutch [Re: DH] #236063
02/04/09 8:52 pm
02/04/09 8:52 pm
Kent UK
Blapper Offline
BritBike Forum member
Blapper  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Kent UK
Aw heck - I paid pounds at 2:1( ish) so I have no idea. It wasn't cheap, but then it's good.

Blapper redwine

Re: Best Triumph Clutch [Re: Blapper] #236833
02/09/09 5:49 pm
02/09/09 5:49 pm
Newport, Rhode Island
C
Clinton Duffy Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Clinton Duffy  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
C
Newport, Rhode Island
Hey all, could someone be kind enough to give me measurements on a MAP belt? I want to see if they sell a belt that is compatible with my belt drive, I would like to buy a new one if I could before I put it together. Measurements like width, tooth height, tooth count, etc. Thanks in advance.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership