BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
kboyd
kboyd
Kansas
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
210 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,648 guests, and 563 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery
9959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 193
koan58 99
Stuart 83
NickL 73
Popular Topics(Views)
438,871 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,289
Posts632,443
Members9,959
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#217887 - 10/09/08 1:20 pm '59 Velocette Venom  
Bry Offline
Bry  Offline

Scotland
I've just taken delivery of my next project, a 1959 Velocette Venom (I believe). I have ordered a set of workshop manuals, spare parts lists and various books. First step is to get it up on the bench and take lots of pictures for reference. Then I'll remove the engine and start the strip down.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton (project)
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#217893 - 10/09/08 1:51 pm Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: Bry]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
That sounds like a lot of fun. How much of a "project" is it? Does it look complete or is it in a basket? It would be tough for me to start on a unknown bike not knowing if parts were there or not.

The Velocette Yahoo list is a good resource. I've read about 6000 back posts on the list going back a year or two to try to learn something about Velos just in case I might want to try the same thing as you're doing some day ....

Lannis

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#217905 - 10/09/08 3:04 pm Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: Lannis]  
wade-o Offline
BritBike Forum member
wade-o  Offline
BritBike Forum member

nowhere
?

Last edited by wade-o; 12/02/08 5:46 pm.
#218026 - 10/10/08 8:58 am Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: Lannis]  
Bry Offline
Bry  Offline

Scotland
Hi Lannis, it will be a complete strip down and rebuild. It seems mostly complete, but of course you never really know what you've got until its all apart and everything has been correctly identified.

According to the documented records and tax disc that is fitted to the bike it was last used on the road in 1969/1970, so it will be a pretty big project to get it back into shape again.

Thanks for the information on the Yahoo forum, I had already discovered this about a year ago thanks to a link on this forum and have done a similar thing as yourself in reading back through a lot of the considerable number of good posts on there.

1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton (project)
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120
#219690 - 10/20/08 12:29 pm Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: Bry]  
Bry Offline
Bry  Offline

Scotland
Not too much progress to report in the last week, I have been spending a lot of time reading and reviewing the various workshop manuals, spares catalogues and other Velocette literature that I have been able to obtain. I also joined the Velocette Owners Club.

After taking a bunch of pictures and some notes, I removed the engine and gearbox and made a stand to support the engine on my bench.

Next I will start the engine strip down to see what I�ve got and what I�m going to need.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton (project)
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120
#219704 - 10/20/08 2:33 pm Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: Bry]  
Dawg Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dawg  Offline
BritBike Forum member

England
Hey Bry - I went to look at that Venom and whilst I was there, you rang Lawrence. It wasn't what I was really after though.

I'm looking to do a MKI clubman project, but I want a genuine early '60's clubman in a non running condition as the frames were different to take the bigger tank - although people do fit them to earlier bikes. If you've joined the V.O.C then you'll see my article in perhaps the next issue about why and what i'm looking for. I've already started looking for the harder to source bits and pieces - in fact i've just got a renovated manual B.T.H Mag. It's the actual bike I need next! (they are around)

Good luck with this one though! - you must keep the original Velocette dealer L. Stevens badge on it too!

Last edited by Steve Buckley; 10/20/08 2:41 pm.

1958 Velocette Venom
1960 Norton Dominator 99
1964 Velocette Venom Clubman Mk1
#219713 - 10/20/08 3:28 pm Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: Dawg]  
Bry Offline
Bry  Offline

Scotland
Hi Steve, small world eh! I must admit that I was also originally looking for a later model with the bigger tank, but after a bit of research I really liked the look of the 3 gallon tank of the late 50's Venoms and Vipers with the chrome side panelling, that is how I am planning to finish this one. Good luck in finding the Clubman, if I hear of anything I will let you know. Bry

1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton (project)
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120
#219763 - 10/20/08 8:21 pm Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: Bry]  
Dawg Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dawg  Offline
BritBike Forum member

England
Yes the chrome tank ones look the business. That's how I did my '58, which came as an incomplete basket case! so your '59 will look the same as it;

1958 Velocette Venom
1960 Norton Dominator 99
#219833 - 10/21/08 8:46 am Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: Dawg]  
Bry Offline
Bry  Offline

Scotland
Very nice Steve, that's how I want mine to look. Did you restore it? I may be bugging you in the future for information and maybe some more pictures of some of the details, hope that's OK. Bry

1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton (project)
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120
#219895 - 10/21/08 4:05 pm Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: Bry]  
Dawg Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dawg  Offline
BritBike Forum member

England
It's actually assembled from two bikes - the engine and gearbox were put in a Norton wideline frame and used for a year by my Father in about 1969. The big end and flywheel assembly was actually done by Velocette - apparently it's a bit of a pain to line them straight. However he did the main bearings himself - which can be a pantomime.

So when I decided to do a Venom aout 10 years ago, I got most of the other parts from a chap in Lincolnshire - he had the original engine + gearbox too which I frequently kick myself for not getting as well. Most of the bits were in the same sort of condition as yours - I junked the mudguards and got new ones from 'renovation spares'. The petrol tank was a wreck - dented and rusty, so I sent it to Alan Templeton at Lewis Templeton and he did an incredible job on it.

There were bits missing from the lump I bought from Lincolnshire - I was told it was all there apart from the engine + gearbox. It wasn't!

If you want any details, just shout.

Last edited by Steve Buckley; 10/21/08 5:36 pm.

1958 Velocette Venom
1960 Norton Dominator 99
#221006 - 10/28/08 5:17 pm Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: Bry]  
Bry Offline
Bry  Offline

Scotland
Reasonable progress this week, I got the engine apart and the main parts checked. In general things look pretty good and everything seems to be there.

The bore is 0.020 oversize and in pretty good condition except for some local scoring around the top above the ring line where it looks like a previous owner has done a decoke with some course abrasive paper. The barrel is the alloy Alfin type (probably original) so it should be good for another rebore to 0.040, but I will first check for distortion around the base (apparently a common problem with this type of barrel).

Head looks OK also but I will strip this later for closer inspection and replace valves, guides and springs.

Bottom end was sound, I will split the press fit crank assembly for closer inspection but hopefully should only need new big end and main bearings and a rebalance if necessary.

Timing gears and cams seem to be OK. Oil pump seems OK, but I will strip to check internals later when I have made the special tool required for alignment on reassembly. Crankcase housing for the oil pump was also OK, apparenty this can be a big problem on Velocette singles if the proper procedure of heating the alloy case for removal of the pump is not followed and the pump is driven out of the interference fit cold damaging the crank case, but mine is OK.

I have been identifying each part from the spare parts book, marking with identification and checking what parts need to be replaced, repaired, refinished etc.

Next steps are to clean the crankcases and check/true the mating faces on a glass plate, check the existing crank balance factor for reference then split the crank assembly.

Also - I am researching the requirements and merits of modifying the crank case breathing arrangement to allow breathing via the timing chest so that the necessary machining can be done now; does anyone have any experience or opinions on this that they can share?

1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton (project)
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120
#224819 - 11/22/08 7:31 pm Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: Bry]  
Dawg Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dawg  Offline
BritBike Forum member

England
I'd say leave well alone - pretty sure it was only on the Thruxtons that the breathing was modified in 1965, but up until then Velocette thought the breather near the end of the crankshaft going into the primary chaincase was sufficient. They were like that for the best part of 40 years, so i'd say stay with it.

1958 Velocette Venom
1960 Norton Dominator 99
#225055 - 11/24/08 12:26 pm Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: Dawg]  
Bry Offline
Bry  Offline

Scotland
Originally Posted By: Steve Buckley
I'd say leave well alone - pretty sure it was only on the Thruxtons that the breathing was modified in 1965, but up until then Velocette thought the breather near the end of the crankshaft going into the primary chaincase was sufficient. They were like that for the best part of 40 years, so i'd say stay with it.

Thanks for your advice on this Steve; the reason I was thinking of making the modification to the later breather design was to prevent/reduce what I have read is a problem with oil being passed through the DS main bearing and overfilling the primary drive case. In your experience with your 58 (I assume that this is running on the standard breathing arrangement) is this a problem that you have experienced?

I have also read that this can be more as a result of blow-by from a worn bore and piston rings than crank case breathing problems.

Bry

1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton (project)
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120
#225152 - 11/24/08 11:28 pm Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: Bry]  
Dawg Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dawg  Offline
BritBike Forum member

England
No problems in this department on my Venom.

I think i've read some problems occur when the motor is worn, but over the 11 years as a V.OC member I can't recall anyone i've actually met who suffered from this; or even brought it up in conversation as a 'Velocette' problem. Next meeting i'll ask around.

The chaincase filling up - it's never been a problem for me but it's only a fine mist that comes through the breather, hardly pouring out.

I've heard of oil coming through the bearing after the bike has stood for a while and has wet sumped - the ball valve under the oil tank should solve this but, it's normally good practice to drain the crankcase before starting if the machine has stood for a long time - like over winter. The crankcase area inside is so tight around the flywheel, any oil that gets in becomes a source for problems - mainly drag when starting - but if you take a ruddy good swing and it fires - it's got to go somewhere!

(Some say that a possible source is from the gearbox if the oil thrower hasn't been put in on reassembly!) When i've checked my primary chain through the inspection hole, the chain is always wet, as per the 'oilbath' design but i've never experienced problems with it 'overfilling'. Still, better wet than running a dry chain! If you are rebuilding the engine completely then this chaincase problem should not really exist.

I've got a feeling the different breather was introduced on the Thruxton purely because of its racing intentions, not for any breather design flaws of a standard road-going bike.

Just out of interest - my Father fitted a return breather direct to the oil tank on his Norton Dominator in the 1960's. I always remember him saying that because of the nasty gasses, the inside of the oil tank actually started to go rusty! He went straight back to an open breather.

Last edited by Steve Buckley; 11/24/08 11:49 pm.

1958 Velocette Venom
1960 Norton Dominator 99
#225161 - 11/25/08 12:09 am Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: Dawg]  
Dawg Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dawg  Offline
BritBike Forum member

England

Last edited by Steve Buckley; 11/25/08 11:05 pm.

1958 Velocette Venom
1960 Norton Dominator 99
#225505 - 11/26/08 9:56 pm Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: Dawg]  
Bry Offline
Bry  Offline

Scotland
You've certainly got me rethinking this one Steve, thanks for sharing your experience on this.

I was of the opinion that this is a pretty simple modification to make while I have the crankcases separated and that there would be no detrimental result at worst. But based on what you are saying, and what I am also reading elsewhere, I may be trying to fix a problem that won't exist if the engine is not worn and is propery run in. Also, the potential for corrosive gases entering the oil tank may be a problem that would be created.

By the way, how's your hunt for a MKI Clubman going?

Bry

1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton (project)
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120
#225674 - 11/28/08 12:04 am Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: Bry]  
Dawg Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dawg  Offline
BritBike Forum member

England
I've not really started searching yet Bry - realistically it'll be next April/May before I can do anything; I need to clear space. However, i've managed to get a reconditioned manual B.T.H magneto from Clive Repik in Devon. Clive's excellent to deal with - very clued up chap.

Some recommendations for Velocette bits - always try Nick Payton first. He's based in London and is an absolute gent and fountain of knowlege. Seymours in Thame, near Oxford are great - speak to Liz, she knows a hell of a lot. Also Grove Classics are very good for spares.

1958 Velocette Venom
1960 Norton Dominator 99
#226070 - 11/30/08 3:11 pm Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: Bry]  
Dave Beef Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dave Beef  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Great Britain
Lookin good. A lot of work required but will be worth it in the end. Similar condition to '60 Viper i've just bought to join the Stevens built Thruxton sittin' in the garage. Pickin it up next weekend. Where are you in Scotland Bry? I come from Motherwell in Lanarkshire.

Regards
William.

1958 Ariel FH650 Huntmaster
1960 Velocette Viper (Project)
1970 Stevens Built Velocette Venom/ Thruxton
1974 Triumph Trident T150V

'Enjoy your life as it ain't no dress rehearsal!'
#226331 - 12/02/08 11:31 am Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: Dave Beef]  
Bry Offline
Bry  Offline

Scotland
Originally Posted By: Dave Beef
Lookin good. A lot of work required but will be worth it in the end. Similar condition to '60 Viper i've just bought to join the Stevens built Thruxton sittin' in the garage. Pickin it up next weekend. Where are you in Scotland Bry? I come from Motherwell in Lanarkshire.

Regards
William.

Thanks William, best of luck with the Viper restoration, I am in Aberdeen. Bry

1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton (project)
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120
#226332 - 12/02/08 11:32 am Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: Bry]  
Bry Offline
Bry  Offline

Scotland
Unfortunately I have not spent enough time in the shed over the last few weeks due to a hectic travelling schedule with work.

However some progress has been made.

I checked the crank case gasket faces on a plate glass and they were found to be pretty good but gave them a bit of a rub with some wet and dry stuck flat to the glass to be sure. I then cleaned up the crankcases by first degreasing with a light solvent in my cleaning tank, glass bead blasting, then a covert session in Mrs Brys dishwasher, pressure wash then finally a scrub in hot soapy water. They have come up a treat. I know that there are valid concerns about the potential dangers of dry bead blasting crankcases if any of the media gets left behind. I therefore spent a couple of hours carefully checking and cleaning all the oil ways, crevices and threaded holes using blasts of WD40 and an airline, then a final prod about with tobacco pipe cleaners (hard to get these days but I find ideal for this purpose).

I checked the existing balance factor of the crank, a bit academic really as I will be fitting a new piston but I wanted the practice on the method and set-up I will use for this when it comes to the real thing on rebuild. BF worked out at 67% which sounds about right from what I have read.

Main bearings were then removed from the crank, this involved cutting and splitting using a die grinder as per the manual, but I have later learned of a tool that can be made to pull these off (oh well, I will know the next time). Crank was then split using a hydraulic press (latest tool addition to the shed) and the big end checked and measured, this was all OK really but I will replace the rollers on rebuild.

I also took another look a the cylinder bore and gave it a light hone to remove some small scratches and it measured 0.004 over size and in taper from top to bottom, front to back. This is still within tolerance, manual says 0.008 is allowable, but I have decided to get it rebored anyway as I plan to put a bit of mileage on this bike when finished. So the barrel will be sent to SRM in Wales for this work in the next few weeks, I will probably also get them to vapour blast the alloy outer part while it is there.

I have just about finished the replacement parts list for the bottom end so will get that done and some parts on order later this week.

1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton (project)
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120
#226359 - 12/02/08 3:54 pm Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: Bry]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By: Bry
Unfortunately I have not spent enough time in the shed over the last few weeks due to a hectic travelling schedule with work.

However some progress has been made.

I checked the crank case gasket faces on a plate glass and they were found to be pretty good but gave them a bit of a rub with some wet and dry stuck flat to the glass to be sure. I then cleaned up the crankcases by first degreasing with a light solvent in my cleaning tank, glass bead blasting, then a covert session in Mrs Brys dishwasher, pressure wash then finally a scrub in hot soapy water. They have come up a treat. I know that there are valid concerns about the potential dangers of dry bead blasting crankcases if any of the media gets left behind. I therefore spent a couple of hours carefully checking and cleaning all the oil ways, crevices and threaded holes using blasts of WD40 and an airline, then a final prod about with tobacco pipe cleaners (hard to get these days but I find ideal for this purpose).

I checked the existing balance factor of the crank, a bit academic really as I will be fitting a new piston but I wanted the practice on the method and set-up I will use for this when it comes to the real thing on rebuild. BF worked out at 67% which sounds about right from what I have read.

Main bearings were then removed from the crank, this involved cutting and splitting using a die grinder as per the manual, but I have later learned of a tool that can be made to pull these off (oh well, I will know the next time). Crank was then split using a hydraulic press (latest tool addition to the shed) and the big end checked and measured, this was all OK really but I will replace the rollers on rebuild.

I also took another look a the cylinder bore and gave it a light hone to remove some small scratches and it measured 0.004 over size and in taper from top to bottom, front to back. This is still within tolerance, manual says 0.008 is allowable, but I have decided to get it rebored anyway as I plan to put a bit of mileage on this bike when finished. So the barrel will be sent to SRM in Wales for this work in the next few weeks, I will probably also get them to vapour blast the alloy outer part while it is there.

I have just about finished the replacement parts list for the bottom end so will get that done and some parts on order later this week.

Two things - That's more work than I typically get done on my projects in SIX MONTHS, so enough with the showing away "I haven't spent enough time in the shed!" Jeez! grin

Secondly, you sound like the sort of guy that Velocettes were made for. Splitting cranks on hydraulic presses, checking balance factors, honing cylinders ... man, I'd love to know how to do all that in my home shop. My happiness is all in my own control though, nothing is keeping me from learning. I wish I had your priorities!

Keep us up to date!

Lannis

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#228542 - 12/17/08 11:58 pm Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: Bry]  
billy banger Offline
BritBike Forum member
billy banger  Offline
BritBike Forum member

england uk.
hello bry, i also have a 1959 velocette venom which is a genuine clubman which came from mellerstain in scotland and it belonged to a lord john, charles, james binning who was also a lord in the house of lords. it was registered on my birthday when i was two years old. it has dunlop alloy rims, close box, rev-counter/tacho, clip ons etc. he sent the bike back to velocette in 1964 and they fitted a thruxton petrol and oil tank thruxton toolbox plus a thruxton seat and it had the big bore swept back pipe fitted. they also fitted the thruxton head and 1 and 3/8 gp carb. i bought this bike back in 1984 and i also had a 1960 venom clubman at that time as well. my 1960 was on the road and the 59 hadnt been rode for some years. the 1960 clubman that i had also had a close box fitted and it went like a rocket. it would often put up an indicated 105mph on the crono when in the prone position. i got the 59 going and i got it on the road. i really thought that this bike would take off with all the go faster bits fitted. it was as dead as a door nail. it was 30mph slower than the 1960 one that i had. something had to make that bike slow as something had to make the other fast. investigation revealed that the 59 had a thruxton head with a venom barrel fitted which is 90 thou longer giving it a low compression and i also suspected that the cam had crept in the camwheel giving a retarted cam timing and making the cam marks on the cam wheels meaningless. this also makes velos bad to start. closer inspection on the 1960 revealed that the bike had a venom head on a thruxton barrel which is 90 thou shorter and the compression was well up. i could see a faint mark on the inlet side of the piston were the valve had been contacting. i had the cam checked on this bike and the inlet was spot on with the exhaust cam closing about 1 degree late. this is the best set up on these motors. the valve springs had been shimmed to the book and whoever set the engine up, knew their onions. when the 59 had gone back to the factory in 1964 and had the thruxton rubber mounted oil tank fitted, they never put the later breathing system on it. you really need to split the motor to do this as debri will go into the crankcase when putting in the breather hole from timing chest to crankcase. i guess thats why it was never done. its a big no no not to do this mod. when the piston goes down, there is a lot of air under the piston that has to go somewhere. the breather hole on the crank axle is too small to exit all of the air so the air then gets compressed and it will force its way out of any orifice that it can, taking oil with it. as the rings wear the problem gets worse. if you have the engine down get the breather mod done. the next thing i had done was to have the crankcase machined for an O ring under the pushrod tunnel and i also had the head machined for a O ring as well. i then got a one piece pushrod tunnel and reassembly is then a breeze. no more gland nut with asbestos string to try and seal <yuk> and when you fit the head, it just sliles on the O ring plus no leaks. also check that you have the O ring mod on the head for the barrel studs as this is another source of bad leakage. all four nuts are inside the engine and oil will pass between the head and washer with the oil going down the barrel studs and then blown all over your engine. the O rings prevent this. i had a bth TT manual magneto fitted and i can honestly say that they are nothing but trouble. it failed three times and i thought that enough was enough. i bought a new self generating bth electronic magneto with built in advance which means that you can have an automatic mag with a steel timing wheel. i have yet to fit this to the bike. their website is http://bt-h.biz/index.htm give me a shout if you need any bits as i have a few lying around. cheers. billy banger.

#228657 - 12/18/08 5:03 pm Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: billy banger]  
Bry Offline
Bry  Offline

Scotland
Hello Billy, great story on the history of your '59, going back to the Scottish gentry!

I will be watching out for the CR when I rebuild and will check with a burette.

I had also decided to go with the breather mod as per your recommendation, basically for exactly the reasons that you give; in fact it is one of the jobs that I will do this week in preparation for getting the bottom end reassembled.

The o-ring modification to the head studs is also planned, I had read about this one previously but I had not heard of the pushrod tube o-ring mod and will give this one some thought, does the groove go in the sealing face where the flange sits or is it seated in a chamfer at the edge of the hole like the head bolt arrangement? I plan to use the original (once replated) pushrod tube but have ordered a new stainless gland nut to accommodate an o-ring instead of the asbestos string from the owners club spares service.

Thanks for the link to the BTH website, I had previously looked at their auto advance electronic magneto unit and this is what I am planning to use.

I am making reasonable progress with the engine rebuild will post an update with some pictures at the weekend but I seem to have been spending more time making up tools lately (like the oil pump alignment tool, arbours and bushes for pressing out the SE bush and now a knife edge assembly for balancing the crank) than actually working on the engine. Velo engines are certainly tricky (for me at least) to put together, but I am enjoying the challenge. Cheers Bry

1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton (project)
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120
#229196 - 12/22/08 12:26 pm Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: Bry]  
Bry Offline
Bry  Offline

Scotland
The bottom end rebuild is now starting to take shape, however regarding the con rod and big end I have had a change of plan and decided to replace these with new items.

The reason for this is that despite trying replacement standard and 0.0005� oversize big end rollers the fit was not right even the standard rollers were a bit tight. I lapped the outer race and polished the crankpin a little and got the fit OK. And after fitting and reaming a new SE bush I found that there is also a slight bend in the con rod, around 0.004� off parallel between the BE and SE when measured over the length of the gudgeon pin, apparently this is not uncommon with Velo rods and the straightening procedure is quite straight forward.

�then I had a think about this �lapped big end bearing� straightened �con rod�,�mmm this is beginning to look like a bodge! Do I really want to put this engine together with doubt over probably the 2 most stressed components considering the consequences of a 50 year old reworked rod letting go? No!, so replacement big end bearing, crank pin and rod on order, not cheap, but a small price for piece of mind.

While waiting for these parts I got the oil pump serviced, no parts needed as all the original components were within spec�, (although I did need to make a special alignment tool for reassembly). The end float of the pump gears was out though, but a bit of lapping these and the pump body on a glass plate they are now OK, so pump reassembled and ready for installation.

I also fitted a new cam pinion spindle as the existing one had worn. This involved heating the TS crank case and tapping the new spindle into the hole. Setting the cam pinion end float to 0.0015� max was a bit fiddly as this is adjusted by the amount the spindle protrudes from the casing. But after a couple of attempts at finding a �� thou� hammer tap I got there. Cam follower shaft was also fitted the same way, although end float is not so critical as the followers are spring loaded by a belville spring on the shaft.

Then after much research the thought on the matter, I decided to make the breather modification to the later design to allow engine breathing via the timing chest. This involved drilling a hole between the timing chest and the crank housing and drilling and tapping a hole into the timing chest below the magneto mount for a hose tail fitting. Quite straight forward in practice and hopefully this proves to be the right decision.

[Linked Image]
drilling the breather holes

[Linked Image]
tapping hole for breather hose tail

[Linked Image]
new cam pinion spindle and cam follower shaft refitted

[Linked Image]
serviced oil pump and alignment tool

1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton (project)
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120
#229408 - 12/23/08 4:00 pm Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: Dawg]  
GrandPaul Online content
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Laredo (South) Texas, USA
You and me both, Lannis...

...and a few others in the queue with us, I'll bet!

Excellent project thread.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Richrd 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.983s Queries: 16 (0.084s) Memory: 1.0227 MB (Peak: 1.4050 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-23 13:05:25 UTC