BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Buckshot1
Buckshot1
Diamond Springs, Kalifornia
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
37 registered members (AML), 334 guests, and 365 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Dan1818, Konaflyer, Begbie, Andrew Fallo, Zack Banks
10419 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 88
Rohan 81
reverb 75
Triless 75
Popular Topics(Views)
711,216 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,310
Posts665,061
Members10,419
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hunt Magneto Conversion #224015
11/17/08 11:32 pm
11/17/08 11:32 pm
Trenton, ON
bzzrd2 Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
bzzrd2  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member

Trenton, ON
I am getting to the point on my project (66 T120)where I need to buy an ignition system. I wish I had bought the ARD CDI Mag when they were avialble but it appears I'm out of luck now.

Anyway, I was wondering....has anyone ever converted the Joe Hunt Magneto to electronic vs the points it comes with? Points seem so ancient in a product that costs around $700.00. Anyone think it would be possible to take something like a Boyer and install it in place of the points? Would the Mag generate enough hydro to light her up? Lasty, do I have any alternatives. I really don't want to run a battery on this project and I don't want something unsightly. The Hunt Mag hovers on just that but at this time it appears to be my only solution. Thanks!

No usable genuine parts were used in the building of my chopper. Even the cases were busted on the primary side. I respect the purist community and use after market pieces on this project wherever possible.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Hunt Magneto Conversion [Re: bzzrd2] #224020
11/17/08 11:56 pm
11/17/08 11:56 pm
Virginia, USA
SBoyd Offline
BritBike Forum member
SBoyd  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Virginia, USA
bzzrd

The Joe Hunt has no advance mechanism (unless it's changed that I don't know about). Way to much money and IMO extremely undesirable. If you set the timing for max performance, get ready for pain when you kick it over.
If you like the looks of that huge tractor mag sticking out the side of the engine, that would be the only reason to get one.

I think I remember you're building a serious chopper with belt drive?

Is the alternator going to be in the engine as normal?
Is it a single phase or three phase?
What are your lighting requirements? Daytime lights?

Depending on those things, there may be a clean solution.

>>sb

Stop the insanity.
Re: Hunt Magneto Conversion [Re: SBoyd] #224039
11/18/08 12:49 am
11/18/08 12:49 am
Trenton, ON
bzzrd2 Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
bzzrd2  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member

Trenton, ON
I think I remember you're building a serious chopper with belt drive?
You are correct sir, that is me although I am behind on the project.

Is the alternator going to be in the engine as normal?
Yes

Is it a single phase or three phase?
Haven't purchased system yet.

What are your lighting requirements? Daytime lights?
Not by law for a 1966 but I will run DRL

Depending on those things, there may be a clean solution.
Im all ears!

Last edited by bzzrd2; 11/18/08 12:51 am.

No usable genuine parts were used in the building of my chopper. Even the cases were busted on the primary side. I respect the purist community and use after market pieces on this project wherever possible.
Re: Hunt Magneto Conversion [Re: bzzrd2] #224050
11/18/08 2:37 am
11/18/08 2:37 am
Vermont
Jon W. Whitley Offline

BritBike Forum member
Jon W. Whitley  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Vermont
I have heard that somebody else will be taking over production of the ARD-CDI magneto's. With a little research this should be possible to find.

M.A.P. did have a magneto that looked the same as the ARD unit, but I cannot find it on their website.Maybe they still have it?

http://www.mapcycle.com/index.asp

There are also the other alternatives that will do the trick as you probably already know.

http://www.trispark.com.au/home/products/
http://www.pazon.com/ignition/ignition-products/

Ask around. I am willing to bet that with a good solid search you can turn up an ARD-CDI magneto and quite possibly still new in the box. Somebody out there stockpiled and or is willing to sell one they have that although used works just fine. Put the word out...I'll bet you find one.

beerchug

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project

Re: Hunt Magneto Conversion [Re: Jon W. Whitley] #224060
11/18/08 3:15 am
11/18/08 3:15 am
Virginia, USA
SBoyd Offline
BritBike Forum member
SBoyd  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Virginia, USA
OK
First you need a crankshaft...........

Basically, you need a primary power system (12 volts) and an ignition system.

For your primary system, I recommend that you get the Sparx rotor and three-phase stator.
Included with that kit is the regulator/rectifier that will give you the 12 volts DC to power your lights and ignition.
http://www.mapcycle.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=RM25%2FHOC&eq=&Tp=
http://www.british-motorcycle-parts.com/Three_phase_210_Watt_Alternator_Kit.htm

For the ignition, there are several options of electronic units.
The best one right now IMO is the TRI SPARK Classic twin.
It has no external box.
http://www.trispark.com.au/home/products

That's it.....except since you are running without battery, you will need a capacitor such as the famous Lucas MC2.

If you were to use the Boyer regulator/rectifier, it has a built-in capacitor. AFIK all the other three phase units do not.
The Sparx can be obtained with just the rotor and stator if you wanted to go that route.
You will see that Tri-Spark also makes a regulator-rectifier, but it is a single-phase unit and, since you're starting from scratch, you really want a three-phase alternator in order to run best without a battery.

As far as using any type of magneto, there is no good reason except on race bikes that have no 12 volt supply. All magnetos make their weakest spark at kicking speed, just when you need it on a bike like yours. The mag spark then gets better and better as the revs pick up, but is no improvement to an electronic street ignition that can be seen.

>>sb

Stop the insanity.
Re: Hunt Magneto Conversion [Re: SBoyd] #224062
11/18/08 3:26 am
11/18/08 3:26 am
Trenton, ON
bzzrd2 Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
bzzrd2  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member

Trenton, ON
Originally Posted By: SBoyd
OK
First you need a crankshaft...........

>>sb

lol I have one in there. It a special new light weight unit! wink Thank you for the info. That will get me going just fine I'm sure and for a lot less $$$ than the ARD unit. Thanks again!...Buzz

Re: Hunt Magneto Conversion [Re: bzzrd2] #224069
11/18/08 4:30 am
11/18/08 4:30 am
Trenton, ON
bzzrd2 Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
bzzrd2  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member

Trenton, ON
SB....How big are these things? I have to figure out where to hide the ugly SOB! smile

Re: Hunt Magneto Conversion [Re: bzzrd2] #224117
11/18/08 12:59 pm
11/18/08 12:59 pm
Virginia, USA
SBoyd Offline
BritBike Forum member
SBoyd  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Virginia, USA
As I recall, it is about 1 1/2" dia and 2 1/2" long.
You don't need the spring. It can be wrapped in foam and hidden under the top frame tube or something like that.
It does not get warm or produce ANY heat.
There are many cheap substitutes that are in Radio Shack or something like that, but the Mallory that you show is the best and has the right terminals for motorcycle use.

Stop the insanity.
Re: Hunt Magneto Conversion [Re: SBoyd] #224166
11/18/08 5:35 pm
11/18/08 5:35 pm
Maui Hawaii
HawaiianTiger Online content
BritBike Forum member
HawaiianTiger  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Maui Hawaii
Forget the ARD unit. I tried to use one on the David Edwards Racing B50 motor with seriously dissapointing results. Seems he (Allan at ARD) FORGOT to pin the amramture and the magnets spun repeatedly causing timing variations that at first were very confounding. On race day during practice the bike quit and as the only pit crew that day I was faced with an unfixable problem. (I had a AJS 7R to fettle as well) Also, when I was living on Maui there were a couple of gents over there real keen on the that compact unit. It is light, simple and compact. All the bikes there now have had different units installed as all the the ARD units have failed.
Bill

Last edited by HawaiianTiger; 11/18/08 5:37 pm. Reason: No can spell

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Flying Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
Re: Hunt Magneto Conversion [Re: HawaiianTiger] #224288
11/19/08 2:22 pm
11/19/08 2:22 pm
North Carolina
ThreeTrumps Offline
BritBike Forum member
ThreeTrumps  Offline
BritBike Forum member

North Carolina
bzzrd,

I have a '66 T120 with a Hunt Magneto on it. I have a couple of comments. First there is really no need for the electronic advance on the Hunt, if you time it right ,at full advance,(and that may take some effort) It will run spot on through your engine range. The first thing you have to know is there no way to time a pre-68 engine with a Hunt mounted. You need to manually make timing marks on the Rotor/stator at TDC and do the math to get it to 38deg BTDC before mounting the Hunt. Make sure you get this exact, It will make your trouble shooting much easier. Next you will most likely need to heli-ace(? weld aluminum) between the mounting adapter plate and the timing cover. My engine vibrates so much that the two small screws that used to hold on the advance mechanism loosen. This will cause your timimng to change, or worse let your magneto fall off while riding. Finally, I didn't use the blue battery eliminator. I got a Sparx combination voltage regulator/battery eliminator and it hides nicely under my solo seat. You are still going to need the voltage regulator for your horn and lights so might as well go this route. All that said, it took me some weeks to sort the ignition out perfectly, but now that I have, It starts first kick in summer and 2nd or 3rd in winter, and its really great not worrying about a dead battery, but you are leaving yourself without lights if you stall (this would be an issue at night!) But since you are building a chopper you already have thrown safety concerns out the window.
If you need any other chopper advice let me know. I built my '66 with a 6 inch stretch, MAP Big Bore, MAP belt Drive, Hunt Magneto, and all that jazz. I'll never build another chopper though. In the end its a great looking and running bike, but a stock T120 is just so much more fun to ride.

Joe

1966 Triumph 650 TT (bobber)
1969 Triumph TR25W
2005 Bonneville Black
Re: Hunt Magneto Conversion [Re: ThreeTrumps] #224537
11/21/08 2:55 am
11/21/08 2:55 am
Trenton, ON
bzzrd2 Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
bzzrd2  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member

Trenton, ON
What do you guys make of this from Walridge Motors?

"....we find that at very low RPM (kick over speed) the output of the single phase unit is greater. Therefore when running without a battery a single phase unit is preferred."

I already put the Three Phase on my Christmas list! confused

PS: Did anyone take note of my intake manifold and Carb in the pic? wink

Last edited by bzzrd2; 11/21/08 3:29 am.

Re: Hunt Magneto Conversion [Re: bzzrd2] #224558
11/21/08 8:31 am
11/21/08 8:31 am
Maui Hawaii
HawaiianTiger Online content
BritBike Forum member
HawaiianTiger  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Maui Hawaii

PS: Did anyone take note of my intake manifold and Carb in the pic? wink[/quote]
Whoa! Weber or ??? Cool.

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Flying Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
Re: Hunt Magneto Conversion [Re: HawaiianTiger] #224581
11/21/08 2:10 pm
11/21/08 2:10 pm
Trenton, ON
bzzrd2 Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
bzzrd2  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member

Trenton, ON
Originally Posted By: HawaiianTiger

Whoa! Weber or ??? Cool.

Weber it is. DCOE40 Sidedraft. All set for 800 CC of raw screamin' power! Just another interesting twist on my chopper.

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership