BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
MikesClassics
MikesClassics
Queensland, Australia
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
17 registered members (BrettF), 143 guests, and 56 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TROUBLE, Nazer, locobeta, Walt, DennisMartin
10389 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 95
Mori55 88
Triless 86
Rohan 84
reverb 79
Stuart 76
btour 69
DavidP 68
Popular Topics(Views)
691,923 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,056
Posts662,202
Members10,389
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A Fall Weekend Adventure with WABOB and Don..in search of: #223675
11/15/08 5:20 pm
11/15/08 5:20 pm
Washington State
W
Washington Bob Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Washington Bob  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
W

Washington State
Hey Britbikers,
My good friend Don asked me if I wanted to join him on weekend run in search of the old British motorcycle shops he used to find bikes and parts in. I said yes cause you can't have more fun than that!

We are currently in a nice little resturant down by Tenino, Washington. It has WiFi and I am on my wonderful HP laptop...gosh the internet and technology are wonderful!

We left about 7am this morning(Saturday) on our beloved Britbikes. Don is on his 1966 Velo MSS and I am on Old Blue..my 1961 BSA DBD34GS Catalina. His silly Velo is still starting on the 2nd or 3rd kick and now my Goldie is...Don and I checked over my mag and rebuilt it back to specs this week. Really helps the spark when your mag is up to snuff. Now Old Blue starts 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th kick...come on! Blue is a Goldie and they can be somewhat fussy at times.

We are taking all the old back roads he remembers and just going to take our time looking for the places Don found neat parts over the years. Will anybody be still doing what they were doing 25 years ago? Doubtful....but still it will be a great couple of days on the road. Coldish but no real rain forcast so we shall be good.

It is nice and warm here in this resturant and the coffee is really good but Don says time to move on. We are looking for a wrecking yard south of Tenino that had lots of vintage bikes and especially Brit Twins stuff. Lots of hillclimbers from this area and Don was a hillclimber and knew them all. He also has old hillclimb friends in Centralia and Chehalis that we are going to look up.

Big fun...two old bikes....two OLDER guys...on the road. Time to saddle up....more later. Sun is out and sky is cloudy and blue...awesome!

Washington Bob on Old Blue with Don/Velo MSS....on the road

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: A Fall Weekend Adventure with WABOB and Don..in search of: [Re: Washington Bob] #223682
11/15/08 6:42 pm
11/15/08 6:42 pm
NYC and York PA
wadeschields Offline

BritBike Forum member
wadeschields  Offline

BritBike Forum member

NYC and York PA
My Lightning starts on the last kick EVERY time. Just requires TLC. Sounds like some good yarns coming out of this story Bob. Lets see some photos and hear all the gory details when you are home.

Wade

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image]
Re: A Fall Weekend Adventure with WABOB and Don..in search of: [Re: wadeschields] #223719
11/15/08 9:03 pm
11/15/08 9:03 pm
Royal Berkshire.
K
Kev. Offline
BritBike Forum member
Kev.  Offline
BritBike Forum member
K

Royal Berkshire.
That's funny Wade, as My A10 always starts on just the right kick every time.

How do you know which is the right one I hear you cry?

Well my friends, that will be the one it starts on.

http://kevindean.zenfolio.com/

http://backstreetthunder.wordpress.com/

1952 Norton Special
1970 BSA A65 Lightning
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
1981 Harley FLH
2006 BMW R1200GS

Re: A Fall Weekend Adventure with WABOB and Don..in search of: [Re: Kev.] #223820
11/16/08 6:38 pm
11/16/08 6:38 pm
Washington State
W
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
W

Washington State
Hey Britbikers,
It was an awesome day on the road yesterday! Again...I am writing this from a very warm cafe and will send it when I get to WiFi spot.

We went to where one of his favorite wrecking yards was...it is now just a very clean, graveled over, parcel of acreage. I mean...clean! One of the folks that lives across the road came over and told us the EPA shut the guy down several years ago and then came in and totally cleaned up the acreage and then laid gravel over it all...several acres of it! Perhaps old wrecking yards were not so nice to our environment?

We then rode into Chehalis and looked for his old hillclimber freind, Mike. We pulled into the place he lived with a cool old shop at the end of the driveway...and out comes Mike! He is 70 something and a bit beat up looking but greeted Don like they just saw each other last week instead of 20 years ago.

He had the coffee pot going in the shop and we sat around for a couple of hours and shot the breeze. Don caught up on who was still alive and who had moved on. Mike looked over our bikes carefully and then took us into a portion of his shop that has his race bikes in it.

He was/is a hillclimber and had 3 really neat hillclimber bikes to show us.
First was his original Triumph 6T ridged frame hillclimber that ran on gas.
Second was a late 50's Indian Chief 80+ inch motor in a Scout frame. Chains on the rear tire and wide bars for control. He called this a "Chout". Part Chief/part Scout. This was a somewhat common mixture for the race guys.
Last bike was a 1966 Triumph Bonneville with an extended ridged rear frame and a Routt 800cc kit in the motor. Mike told me he ran this motor on "fuel"...either alcohol or nitro...depending on the race venue and what they would allow in the unlimited class. Very neat looking bike....all business.

Mike still plays around with bikes and told us he still enjoys wrenching on them but does not ride anymore. We left him a gift of a Union Jack flag that Don had made up to give to his old friends.

Don's Velo started 2nd kick...Old Blue refused to be kick started and I had to push start the old Goldie. I stuck him in 2nd gear...backed him up a couple of feet and pushed off.I think he fired off inside of 6ft and off we went. Anybody ever tell you that Gold Stars are a docile/low maintenance/everyday bike...you have my permission to give them a good horse laugh!

The bike shops Don remembered are still there.....just not motorcycle shops anymore. One is a muffler shop and nobody ever remembered it being a bike shop.
Another is now a power equipment repair/sales shop.

We walked into the power equipment shop to look around and the owner comes over to look out the window at our old Britbikes. He told us he did not do motorcycles but that his dad had done it. We introduced ourselves over coffee and while he talked to Don about his dad he told me to go have a look around his parts storage building out back.

It was a pretty big old pole building that was packed full of mowers and parts and shelves full of lawn mower engines and stuff. Way in the back I started seeing motorcycle stuff. I saw quite a few 16inch rims/tires , some ridged frames, some plunger frames and fuel tanks hanging in the rafters. I would say that this was all Indian/Harley stuff and I did not see anything that looked British to me.

When I went back inside Don was holding a NOS AMAL Monobloc 389 carb in his had. Still in the original brown box and all. The young man had an extensive parts department and remembered "some bike parts" he had. The man asked Don if he might be able to use it and Don pointed to me and said he was sure I could and laughed.( I run a Mikuni on Old Blue)....very funny. Don left him a gift of the Union Jack flag and young man gave Don the AMAL 389 and thanked him for the memories they had shared about his dad.

We spent the night at an old hotel near Tokeland Washington on the coast. Very quiet..no TV....we just hung out and talked till late...it was awesome.

I cannot wait to see what today will bring. Don is yelling at me so time to pack up the laptop and hit the road. I will send this as soon as we get to a town with Wifi.

On the road with Don/Velo MSS and Old Blue,
WABOB

Re: A Fall Weekend Adventure with WABOB and Don..in search of: [Re: Washington Bob] #223868
11/17/08 2:04 am
11/17/08 2:04 am
Pennsyltuckey
ricochetrider Offline

Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Offline

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
pretty job, waBob!
keep the yarns coming...weather is setting in here on the east coast...progressively colder, as it will be in mid-to-late november. this week calls for highs in the low 40s(F)...i plan on riding as long as it's not raining out.

i'll be thinking of you guys as i roll over the mountains and through the valleys here.
tom

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Re: A Fall Weekend Adventure with WABOB and Don..in search of: [Re: ricochetrider] #223877
11/17/08 4:39 am
11/17/08 4:39 am
Washington State
W
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
W

Washington State
Hey Britbikers,
Just got home an hour or so ago. Had time for a quick hot shower and dinner with my Missus.

a great day on the road today with Don. Dang...that old guy has stamina for riding. We rode about 250 miles today...looking for his old lost riding buddies and shops that he used to buy stuff at.

All either long gone or dead...but we did not expect to find too much really. Stopped into one of the wrecking yards that used to have old bikes and saw only RV's being parted out. I wondered out back and was stopped in my tracks by an almost mint 1967 Ford Mustang GT body in British Racing Green sitting on pallets. It was body only...no running gear but it was freakin beautiful. It was for sale...very neat machine.

I only saw 5 bikes on the road both days....3 Harleys...1 Buell and a Honda Goldwing in screaming yellow color. Weather was cold but decent...just no bikes out on the back roads.

We ate in some outstanding small diners and mom/pop type places and looked at all the empty store fronts in the small towns we passed through. I do believe times are tough here in the land of plenty. Small businesses are failing and so are the small towns...LOTS of empty store fronts..LOTS!

It was great fun and both bikes ran great. Old Blue was kind of fussy but what the heck...he is a GoldStar and that is what they do best. That darn 66 Velo MSS never missed a beat that I heard and started like a scooter or something....whoa!!

Don was looking a bit tired when he got home but what the hey...he is almost 90! I am pretty sure he could still kick my butt so don't tell him I said anything! LOL!!

I am so incredibly blessed to have such great Britbike friends and a family that supports the crazy things I like to do...like just get on your bike and ride for a couple of days!

Time for me to hit the sack...I am so beat from 2 days in the saddle but I sure had a great time. I will be at the old lumber yard tomorrow morning at 6:30 am and put in a full day and I am lucky to have work...I know it too. Soon I will retire from the lumber business(again) so that a younger man can get more hours and take better care of his family. I will really miss it when that day comes and it is coming soon.

All my best to my Britbike family,
Washington Bob and Old Blue...back home

Re: A Fall Weekend Adventure with WABOB and Don..in search of: [Re: Washington Bob] #223893
11/17/08 8:11 am
11/17/08 8:11 am
Kent UK
Blapper Offline
BritBike Forum member
Blapper  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Kent UK
Hey Bob,

Man, you are an example to us all. I have loved reading of your trip this weekend, and am looking forward to reading more like it. I wish I was along with you.

Good luck my friend,

Blapper redwine

Re: A Fall Weekend Adventure with WABOB and Don..in search of: [Re: Blapper] #223938
11/17/08 3:15 pm
11/17/08 3:15 pm
Pennsyltuckey
ricochetrider Offline

Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Offline

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
Quote:
Man, you are an example to us all.

yessiree. i'll back you on that one blapper!

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Re: A Fall Weekend Adventure with WABOB and Don..in search of: [Re: ricochetrider] #224038
11/18/08 12:44 am
11/18/08 12:44 am
Washington State
W
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
W

Washington State
Hey Britbikers
Thanks for the very kind remarks. I love riding so very much and wish I could do it lots more than I do. I sincerely enjoy being out on the old backroads and seeing Washington State in the slow lane.

Don and I traveled mostly the secondary roads and rarely were on any that had a speed limit of more than 50MPH....actually that is just about right for two old Brit bikes and two older Britbikers.

We saw some interesting sights and met quite a few nice folks. Nobody jaws like a couple of old Britbikers so we had plenty to talk about whenever we stopped.

Hardly any bikes on those old back roads however and I do find that a bit strange...not even groups of my favorite knee dragger crotch rocket stunter buddies that I see all over the place...just not there. The roads just were not condusive to going 120mph in a wheelie...and I don't mean that in a bad way. I like most all of those guys I have had the chance to talk to.

Don and I shared a great weekend and look forward to doing it as often as weather and health will allow us. Just two old farts on Britbikes in America.....probably does not get any better than that I bet.

It was an adventure for us but would probably have put most of you folks to sleep with boredom. Us old guys like to cruise and snooze...good times for sure.

I am off to check out Old Blue and do any maintenance he might require and maybe have a cold beer or two. Don sends his best regards to all also.

your old Britbike buddy,
Washington Bob

Re: A Fall Weekend Adventure with WABOB and Don..in search of: [Re: Washington Bob] #224056
11/18/08 4:02 am
11/18/08 4:02 am
Laredo (South) Texas, USA
GrandPaul Offline
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Laredo (South) Texas, USA
There aren't enough folks like you two old britbikers in this big wide world.

We are honored and priviliged to have you as members of this forum, and count you among people we know. Anything we can possibly pass along to the next generation has somewhat to do with what you have shared with us here.

Livin' the good life right down to the last drop of petrol!!

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership