BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Lancs Tiger
Lancs Tiger
Wigan, Lancs, England
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
214 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,706 guests, and 565 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews
9958 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 191
koan58 100
Stuart 84
NickL 72
Popular Topics(Views)
438,248 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,286
Posts632,373
Members9,958
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#221364 - 10/31/08 3:04 am Straightening Bent Fork Yokes  
Rob Barker Offline
BritBike Forum member
Rob Barker  Offline
BritBike Forum member

PA, USA
Hi Folks. A while back I had, um, a slight accident on my '69 Royal Enfield Interceptor. The usual things got bent, dented, or scratched. I must have hit something pretty hard (I have no memory of the accident and nobody saw it -- they just found me by the side of the road with the bike in the bushes). The fork tubes seem to be unbent, but they are considerably out of parallel when they are clamped in the lower fork yoke, so I'm assuming the yoke got bent. Can the yoke be bent back straight? I have a couple of old fork tubes that could be clamped in the yoke to bend it. Anybody done this? Would I have to heat it? How hot? Would this weaken the yoke? Or should I just start looking for a new/used one? Thanks for your help!

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#221386 - 10/31/08 9:58 am Re: Straightening Bent Fork Yokes [Re: Rob Barker]  
Bret Edwards Offline
BritBike Forum member
Bret Edwards  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Canby, Oregon
The folks at GT Enterprises in N. California advertise being able to fix bent fork yokes.

www.snowcrest.net/gte/

Cheers, Bret @ Glass from the Past
#221392 - 10/31/08 12:12 pm Re: Straightening Bent Fork Yokes [Re: Bret Edwards]  
Ob1quixote Online content
BritBike Forum member
Ob1quixote  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Charleston SC
I think I would start by loosening everything up front; the axle, lower yoke clamps, upper yoke clamps, upper yoke stem nut, and make sure all the parts can move.

A couple of 2X4's clamped to align the front and rear wheels, a shake to unbind anything sticking, then tighten everything up, starting at the axle and moving up, ending at the stem nut.

When singing "Kung Fu Fighting" is outlawed, only outlaws will sing "Kung Fu Fighting"
#221429 - 10/31/08 3:55 pm Re: Straightening Bent Fork Yokes [Re: Ob1quixote]  
enigmaT120 Offline
BritBike Forum member
enigmaT120  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Western Oregon
I don't know the details of your fork set up, but this article has some helpful ways to check fork alignment:

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/fork/title.html

Ed
1970 Bonneville
#221544 - 11/01/08 9:32 am Re: Straightening Bent Fork Yokes [Re: enigmaT120]  
Rob Barker Offline
BritBike Forum member
Rob Barker  Offline
BritBike Forum member

PA, USA
Thanks Bret! Other than being all the way across the country, they sound like just what I'm looking for.

#221808 - 11/03/08 1:54 am Re: Straightening Bent Fork Yokes [Re: Rob Barker]  
RF Whatley Offline
BritBike Forum member
RF Whatley  Offline
BritBike Forum member

North Georgia, USA
During my dealership time I fixed hundreds of wrecks and near wrecks. Even removed a piece of foot meat from a primary case... but I digress.

The first step is to loosen all the front end bolts and then kick the tire in the opposite direction. The forks may pop back around to the straight position. During enduros, the guys would find 2 trees close together and use the bars to bang the tire around between the 2 trees to achieve the same effect without getting off the bike. It's quite common for these old front ends to take a set to one side after a fall.

If that does not work, then remove the fork tubes and roll them on a counter top. One of them is bent. You cannot see this in place, it must be removed. Being bent that little, any good Brit bike mechanic can straighten them out in a matter of 15 minutes or so.

If the tubes are bent, then the triple tree (TT) may also be bent. (But if the tubes did not bent, then the TT is usually not bent.) Offer the straight tube back into the TT and up into the crown. Put it's fork cap nut on finger tight. Then offer the new, or straightened, tube up through the TT. If the tube does not head directly for the hole in the crown, then the TT is bent. Since the tube was pushed backward, the natural position will be aiming in front of the hole in the crown. Crowns do not get bent.

If you'll put your foot on the front motor mount and pull on the bottom of the offending tube, then the TT will slowly bend back. This takes a young, strong back, but it will come around. This process takes maybe 3 pulls and 5 minutes.

If the tube(s) and/or TT are bent then you'll need new head post bearings.

Also spin the front wheel and inspect the wheel bearings and front axle while the front end is up in the air.

I just saved you about $400. Wanna make a donation?

laughing

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
Cornelia, GA

"Shop Boy" at Rodi British Bikes
#222178 - 11/05/08 3:23 pm Re: Straightening Bent Fork Yokes [Re: RF Whatley]  
KC in S.B. Online content
BritBike Forum member
KC in S.B.  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Santa Barbara, California
HMmmm I've got 2 sets that need work at the moment, and 1 that I have already ruined. I will have to try RF's method, as it is much less labor intensive than my failed attempt was. One thing I did learn from that: make sure that the lower clamp pinch bolts are tight! If not, you will probably just end up with egg shaped lower clamp holes before the clamp actually bends. KC

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 2 '56 Chevys
#222261 - 11/06/08 3:27 am Re: Straightening Bent Fork Yokes [Re: KC in S.B.]  
Rob Barker Offline
BritBike Forum member
Rob Barker  Offline
BritBike Forum member

PA, USA
RF, thanks for the advice. I tried most of that already. As far as I can tell, and strange as it seemed to me, the fork tubes are not bent. But when I clamp the tubes in the fork yoke (or "TT", as you call it), and this is off the bike, the tubes are not paralell. Not even close. My back is neither young nor strong, and there was nothing I could do to get the tubes back to paralell. GT Enterprises quoted me a lot less than $400, so I'll probably just send it off to them.

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.256s Queries: 15 (0.044s) Memory: 0.8468 MB (Peak: 1.0242 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-22 20:09:00 UTC