BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
desertrat
desertrat
Arizona
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
211 registered members (750Bonny), 1,835 guests, and 546 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 188
koan58 100
Stuart 88
NickL 65
Popular Topics(Views)
436,895 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,269
Posts632,124
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#215293 - 09/24/08 10:51 pm MOV frame number location  
GROG Offline
BritBike Forum member
GROG  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Adelaide South Australia
I have a pre war racing MOV that has been on tracks since before the war till now with only a maximum of 12-14 years off, having a little rest in the period between finishing modern racing and the start of historic racing.

It has had the drive side case replaced with a stronger locally cast item that was a common 'tuning' mod back in the 50s so I don't have engine number. However, one of the old guys who used to race it thinks he has the original somewhere in his shed.

Meantime, I was trying to find the frame number and was going to see if it is possible to date that it from that. Does anyone know if this is possible? Did Velo have a system and record numbers? Did the frame number tie up or match the engine numbers on these machines?

But,I can't even find the damned frame number!!!!
Anyone know where it is located?

I am the 6th owner of this old warrior, and I recently discovered, the 4th owner who was a member of the same sporting/racing motorcycle club! There have beenother owners in between, but she seems to keep coming back to the fold..ha!

Hope someone can help,
Cheers,
Greg

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#215296 - 09/24/08 11:27 pm Re: MOV frame number location [Re: GROG]  
johnm Online content
BritBike Forum member
johnm  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

New Zealand
Hey Greg,

I should have told you about the racing MOVs in Nicks shed.

There are two of them - known as the Joyce brothers MOVs. Both have full dustbin farings and were well known in the South Island in the 50s. Owned by the same chap who has the ex Arthur Wheeler Mk 8 KTT. I shall have a look at them tonight and see if I can help

I shall also consult with the NZ Velo experts and see if anyone can answer the question. Off to Taupo for the weekend with new exhaust, new tyres and rejigged carbs. Hope it all hangs together. Away to europe monday so you wont hear from me for a bit. The new forum style means I cannot post from my phone anymore.

Cheers

John

#215361 - 09/25/08 11:57 am Re: MOV frame number location [Re: johnm]  
Dawg Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dawg  Offline
BritBike Forum member

England
I'm pretty sure it should be located up on the headstock lug on the front downtube part. Most have been filled with paint so are difficult to see. Have a scratch.

1958 Velocette Venom
1960 Norton Dominator 99
1964 Velocette Venom Clubman Mk1
#215430 - 09/25/08 9:05 pm Re: MOV frame number location [Re: Dawg]  
johnm Online content
BritBike Forum member
johnm  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

New Zealand
"it should be located up on the headstock lug on the front downtube part"

Thats where it is on the spring frame bikes but we looked at 4 rigid frames last night and didnt find any noes.

OK Im an idiot.

On a spring frame they are indeed located on the top frame tube under the tank just before the seat lug on the right hand side. What was i thinking!!

But i still cant see anything on a rigid frame.

John

Last edited by johnm; 09/26/08 6:08 am.
#215454 - 09/25/08 11:17 pm Re: MOV frame number location [Re: johnm]  
Dawg Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dawg  Offline
BritBike Forum member

England
Eh? The spring frame numbers are way back near the seat fixing lug - they all begin with RS.

When I last looked at a rigid Velocette frame, the number was on the lower portion of the headstock lug

1958 Velocette Venom
1960 Norton Dominator 99
#215469 - 09/26/08 2:29 am Re: MOV frame number location [Re: Ray in Sunny CA]  
GROG Offline
BritBike Forum member
GROG  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Adelaide South Australia
I had another good look with a STRONG light, and my glasses....nothing. Without removing paint I can't peer any harder.
Thanks guys, not sure what to do next.....my plan to date the machine accurately is falling apart....I'm not sure the old guy who said he has my drive side case will find it, its been 4 weeks since I last asked hiom, and he'll drop off the perch before long, knowing my luck....ha!
Cheers,
Greg

#215544 - 09/26/08 4:14 pm Re: MOV frame number location [Re: GROG]  
Dawg Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dawg  Offline
BritBike Forum member

England
Sounds like paint has filled it in - gotta start scraping then!

When I rebuilt my Dominator, I had it professionally painted - the serial number stampings were not embedded very deeply - it came back with no sign of any frame numbers - I had to take the paint off in the immediate area to find them. I very carefully worked the numbers and letters deeper into the frame - then sprayed a thin coat of paint over them.

1958 Velocette Venom
1960 Norton Dominator 99
#215933 - 09/29/08 1:53 am Re: MOV frame number location [Re: Ray in Sunny CA]  
GROG Offline
BritBike Forum member
GROG  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Adelaide South Australia
Ray in Sunny CA,
Yep, there it was...clear and bold and easy to read "10711"
...on the rhs side of the upper of the two front downtube engine mounting lugs where you said it wouild be, thanks mate.

Now, back to the other part of my original post....

Is it possible to date that the bike from that? Does anyone know if this is possible? Did Velo have a system and record numbers? Did the frame number tie up or match the engine numbers on these machines?

I am still chasing the original drive side case for my motor, I will phone the old guy and see if he has found it yet. He replaced it with a stronger locally cast item back in the early 50s and thinks he still has it in his workshop....somewhere.

Anyone?

Thanks again to all who ahve helped so far,
Greg in Sunny SA

#216249 - 09/30/08 3:48 pm Re: MOV frame number location [Re: GROG]  
Dawg Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dawg  Offline
BritBike Forum member

England
According to Velocette expert Ivan Rhodes who has all the works documentation, MOV frame number 10711 was issued in late 1939 - the Engine number would have been around the 4000 region - throughout their history, Velocettes never had matching frame + engine numbers.

1958 Velocette Venom
1960 Norton Dominator 99
#217120 - 10/05/08 12:58 pm Re: MOV frame number location [Re: Dawg]  
GROG Offline
BritBike Forum member
GROG  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Adelaide South Australia
Steve,
Thank you very much, you just made my Sunday even better, if that was possible!!!

I checked the mail just now as I await the second World Superbike Race to come live on the telly.
After watching Troy Bayliss and Andrew Pitt clinch their world titles earlier in the evening I am well pleased and can hardly wait to see what Troy will unleash in this second race coming!

So it was great to hear that we have tied down my great old bike, the frame at least, to a year is great news.
I have just about finished rebuilding it ready for a race track celebration re-enactment carnival this coming weekend.

Thanks mate.

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.697s Queries: 15 (0.108s) Memory: 0.8614 MB (Peak: 1.0613 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-21 02:40:43 UTC