BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor
Shout Box

Featured Member
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Who's Online
70 registered (Triless, KennethC., AML, Eddie Garrett, NickL, GS DAVE, tiumphdave, Rickman, Redmoggy, Johns Gun Parts, desco, Endo, steve m1, L.A.B., bmwr90s, Jon W. Whitley, Rich B, BikeVice, Allan Gill, fettlefart, John Goodwin, jfligg, koncretekid, Barb, No Name Man, ProTouring442, sappy, Richard Kal, YetAnotherDave, Ob1quixote, htown, Old Coastie, Hillbilly bike, Les P, Vetterdog, limeyrider, Morgan, Old Cafe Racer, Gordo in Comox, Andy Carr, bill50cal, LarryLebel, Pete R, craigw, TJD, markoz, Chuck_B, wildbill, RGSROB, Steve Erickson, downhere, Andy Miller, Irish Swede, MrBSA, gioleo123, grandfathertyke, allthingsbrit, chaterlea25, jays375, shel, trevinoz, triton thrasher, JBMorris, Craig Davies, TonUpTrav, Peter R, Ger, Kev., kelvin, Mad99mile), 498 Guests and 152 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mad99mile, Vespa, Jason L., southbrit, thetylerguy
7985 Registered Users
Forum Stats
7985 Members
33 Forums
53042 Topics
492212 Posts

Max Online: 1804 @ 03/01/11 6:54 pm
Top Posters
RF Whatley 10029
John Healy 8624
Lannis 8288
Alex 7528
ricochetrider 7282
JubeePrince 6098
Stuart 6029
kommando 5700
Jon W. Whitley 4954
Kent Shaun 4693
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#215657 - 09/27/08 10:46 am T160 V STARTER PROBLEMS & WET SUMP
BARN Offline
One time posting

Loc: Maryland, USA
AS AN OLD TRIUMPH GUY, MY FIRST WAS A '57 THUNDERBIRD, BUTT NEW TO THESE FORUMS. . . HAS ANYONE EVER FIGURED OUT HOW TO MAKE THE T-160V ELECTRIC STARTER WORK CONSISTANTLY WITHOUT DRAINING THE BATTERY ? I BOUGHT THIS BIKE BECAUSE OF A SCREWED TOGETHER, SHATTERED RIGHT ANKLE AND NEED THIS STARTER TO WORK. . . .  I WAS THINKING OF MAKING UP A NEW SIMPLER WIRING HARNESS,{STAND ALONE HANDLE BAR BUTTON, RELAY TO STARTER WIRING} TO MAKE IT WORK. . . . ANY IDEASALSO I NEED A A GOOD FIX FOR THE WET SUMPING PROBLEM ?I AM ABOUT TO START A RETRO RESTORARION ON THIS BIKE {MAKE IT LOOK PRE-UNIT CONSTRUCTION} ANY IDEAS ON PART SOURCING ?AS AN EARLY member OF T.I.O.C.{ OH MY GAWD THAT WAS 40 YEARS AGO } AND THE LAST OFFICIAL U.S. EAST COAST EMPLOYEE OF TRIUMPH MOTORCYLES AMERICA,{1980} I CAN'T GET RID OF MY LAST BIKE DUE TO OLD AGE. . . BYE THE BYE, I'M GLAD TO SEE YOU'RE STILL KICKIN' JOHN !BARRY BROWN - NORTHERN BALTIMORE COUNTY, MARYLANDI'D RATHER BE OVER THE HILL THAN UNDER ONE !

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Upgrade your BritBike Forum membership for one year or for Life*
#215668 - 09/27/08 1:09 pm Re: T160 V STARTER PROBLEMS & WET SUMP [Re: BARN]
JubeePrince Offline
Life member

Loc: Back on the mainland!
Barry -

From one Marylander to another, welcome to the forum!

Couple of thoughts regarding your issues:

What is the state of your charging system? A "good" battery is as "good" as its charging system....you may want to check and be sure your grounding system is sound.....also, what is the amp rating on your battery? Does it pass the "load"test?

Wet sumping:

Are we talking a bit of oil burning (seems to be fairly common with triples) or puking oil out the breather? Over on the triples forum, valve stem seals are discussed regarding this....

I'm no expert with these bikes, knowing even less about triples, but I can at least get the thread started! grin

Cheers,

Steve

p.s. Turn off the caps lock, you don't have to shout! laugh

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...

#215677 - 09/27/08 2:44 pm Re: T160 V STARTER PROBLEMS & WET SUMP [Re: JubeePrince]
RF Whatley Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: The sunny South
Barney -

Welcome to the forum.

There are fixes for the Lucas starter, do a board-wide "search". It seems that Nortons also have the same problem on their 850 ES models. I believe the fix has to do with converting the starter from 2-brush to a 4-brush unit. There are numerous shops that can do this conversion through the mail if you do not feel up to it. I don't work on a lot of ES models, so I'm not too keen on the details, only aware of its existence.

On the wet sumping issue... I suppose you're talking of "oil wet sumping" as opposed to "fuel wet sumping". The 3-cyl machines have a one-way valve that can get some trash under the ball. You only need to clean the ball and seat. However this may only be a symptom of the problem that you have not been changing your oil filter enough. With good 20W50 and a fresh filter you should be "good to go".

You might also check the 3-cylinder forum for help too.

Again welcome. Hope this helps! bigt

RF Whatley
Atlanta, GA
http://www.gabma.us/

The GABMA newsletter. What's on the back of your toilet?

#215690 - 09/27/08 3:40 pm Re: T160 V STARTER PROBLEMS & WET SUMP [Re: RF Whatley]
DMadigan Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: ca, us
I make a planetary gear starter as a direct replacement for the Lucas but it requires changing to negative ground. One guy has a high compression big bore race bike with a similar problem (bad knee) and it works for him.
Wet sumping can come from three places, the afore mentioned anti-drain valve (located after the pump), the over pressure valve and from a leaking pump (body or gasket). The pumps do not have gaskets between the sections, only at the base, but a thin smear of Loctite Gasket Eliminator can be used between the sections.
911 adjusters will cut down on valve wear and adjustment.
TriplesOnLine.com is another source of triple information.

#215714 - 09/27/08 6:06 pm Re: T160 V STARTER PROBLEMS & WET SUMP [Re: RF Whatley]
L.A.B. Online   content
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Norfolk, UK
Originally Posted By: RF Whatley

There are fixes for the Lucas starter, do a board-wide "search". It seems that Nortons also have the same problem on their 850 ES models. I believe the fix has to do with converting the starter from 2-brush to a 4-brush unit. There are numerous shops that can do this conversion through the mail if you do not feel up to it. I don't work on a lot of ES models, so I'm not too keen on the details, only aware of its existence.

The four-brush conversion is certainly a worthwhile modification for the Norton Commando Prestolite electric starter, although the single biggest improvement is (in my opinion) fitting a battery with sufficient CCAs to crank it, along with heavier starter cables that can actually handle the Amps.

The T160 uses the Lucas M3 starter motor, and that already is a four-brush motor.

Fitting a high power (AGM) battery to the T160 is a worthwhile upgrade in my opinion. Also fitting a Tri-Spark electronic ignition would probably help the bike to start a lot better?

Edited by L.A.B. (09/27/08 6:16 pm)

#215817 - 09/28/08 3:07 pm Re: T160 V STARTER PROBLEMS & WET SUMP [Re: L.A.B.]
Ed Wood Offline
BritBike Forum member

So, where are all you Maryland Brit bikers? Up until recently, my Norton Commando was my everyday bike, and I virtually NEVER see another Brit bike on the road around here. I never see another tube-frame Buell either, which is my newer everyday bike, but that's another story. The Norton would like a play date with a bike its own age.

#215833 - 09/28/08 4:15 pm Re: T160 V STARTER PROBLEMS & WET SUMP [Re: Ed Wood]
JubeePrince Offline
Life member

Loc: Back on the mainland!
Ed -

You can find me tooling around the back roads of Carroll and Frederick counties 2 or 3 times a week......

I'm heading to a Britbike Rallye in VA next Sunday....wanna go?

Drop me a line off-line...

Cheers,

Steve

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...

Moderator:  John Healy 

Untitled Document

Home, Sponsors
Newsletter, Regalia
Calendar, Bike Project
BritBike Museum
Spiders Cartoons

"OLD" BritBike Forum

DVD- Manuals & Parts books
BritBike Stickers & Decals

Upgrade your membership-
one year or for life*