BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
58a10
58a10
texas
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
219 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,640 guests, and 555 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery
9959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 191
koan58 99
Stuart 86
NickL 73
Popular Topics(Views)
439,034 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,292
Posts632,463
Members9,959
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#215497 - 09/26/08 9:12 am Spider says "enough of this gloom!" let's laugh!!  
Grandad Online content
BritBike Forum member
Grandad  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

The Crypt - South East England
Spider pokes fun at the Velocette LE (The Noddy Bike)

Amazingly, there are blokes around who actually love the Velocette LE. Spider actually knows one - how about that!
These small, quiet, water-cooled, horizontal twins with everything enclosed in an aluminium casing like a scooter were once a common sight on Englandís roads. This was because police constables on the beat were issued with them so that they could whiz round their patch.
Why were they called Noddy Bikes? Well, the story goes that the police inspectors used to prowl around making sure their coppers were not nipping into the boozer instead of feeling the collar of the local villains and whenever a constable rode past an inspector he had to salute him. This required the constable to raise his right hand to his brow in smart military style with the result that the throttle shot back to zero, the bike rapidly decelerated and the copper frequently fell off. Thus a new rule was introduced requiring the rider to only nod when he passed an inspector - hence Noddy Bike!

Spiderís cartoon highlights the fact that the Velocette LE is not renowned for its performance, being rather a gentle creature.

Last edited by Grandad; 09/26/08 10:48 am.

--------------------------------

Don't nail that lid down - I'm still bloomin' breathing !!
Click here to see SPIDER cartoons!
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#215500 - 09/26/08 10:12 am Re: Spider says "enough of this gloom!" let's laugh!! [Re: Grandad]  
Melbourne Metisse Offline
BritBike Forum member
Melbourne Metisse  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Melbourne, Australia
"These small, quiet, water-cooled, two-stroke twins"

Oi oi! I think you'll find they are mighty side valve 4-strokes!

#215502 - 09/26/08 10:20 am Re: Spider says "enough of this gloom!" let's laugh!! [Re: Melbourne Metisse]  
Grandad Online content
BritBike Forum member
Grandad  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Hey Melbourne Mettise - thanks for spotting that - I have modified it to horizontal twin!! Dammit, my memory is dulled by all those hours in the crypt. Cheers mate!

#215508 - 09/26/08 11:48 am Re: Spider says "enough of this gloom!" let's laugh!! [Re: Grandad]  
ChazzyB Offline
BritBike Forum member
ChazzyB  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Surrey, Olde England
Granded, you missed the 'opposed' and/or 'boxer' bit too!

#215510 - 09/26/08 12:09 pm Re: Spider says "enough of this gloom!" let's laugh!! [Re: ChazzyB]  
Grandad Online content
BritBike Forum member
Grandad  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

OK Chazzy - opposed twin it is, but the pots are horizontal! - Now behave yourself and stop being a rivet counter, there's a good chap - and get to fettling your Ajay!
Blimey, I'm a cartoonist not an encyclopedic, rivet-counting motorcycle buff!

#215519 - 09/26/08 1:09 pm Re: Spider says "enough of this gloom!" let's laugh!! [Re: Grandad]  
George Elston Offline
BritBike Forum member
George Elston  Offline
BritBike Forum member

upstate ny
Grandad
Did they use these for economy reasons, maneuverability or what . Certainly weren't going to do any hot pursuit on one of those . Reminds me a bit of a CyCar .
While we're on the subject where did the term plod come from . A nod to the plod has kind of a ring to it eh ? Sorry that was bad blush
George

57 Woodsman
64 Interceptor
58 Trailblazer
59 Constellation
64 500 Sport twin
61 Hornet

2001 W650
1966 W1
#215539 - 09/26/08 4:00 pm Re: Spider says "enough of this gloom!" let's laugh!! [Re: George Elston]  
Grandad Online content
BritBike Forum member
Grandad  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

George - you may have hit on a good question there. PC Plod was a character in the famous books for children by Enid Blyton and there was another character called Noddy in the same stories - bit of a coincidence eh? This also could be the origin of name 'Noddy' bike! Take your choice.

I am no historian of police matters but I reckon that they were probably chosen for their quietness compared to other machines of the time and clean riding because the 'greasy stuff' was all hidden under the cowling, also for fuel economy. I'm sure they were not made for the chase but they were a good town bike and I suppose it gave the beat copper more mobility, a bigger range than previously and the ability to respond more quickly to emergency calls.

#215548 - 09/26/08 4:44 pm Re: Spider says "enough of this gloom!" let's laug [Re: Grandad]  
Barb Offline
Barb  Offline

Western Washington State (USA)
Hi Guys,

Without editorializing one little bit, I just bet you hear from Janet about this affront to Velocette's bid for the future of the company.....

(Actually, wasn't "Noddy bike" a bastardization of "Not A Bike"? No? Oh--I always thought it was.....)

So I did indeed editorialize just a teeny bit......8^)

Barb (Three MustGetBeers)
"Midnight girl in a sunset town.."

Britney the B44
Bella the '69 T120
Pip the Triumph (I have "Great Expectations!")
Jaelith the '77 XS650/chair
The unnamed '79 XS650 with...potential
Millie the R80 BMW--she's "Thoroughly Modern"
#215557 - 09/26/08 5:23 pm Re: Spider says "enough of this gloom!" let's laug [Re: Barb]  
Grandad Online content
BritBike Forum member
Grandad  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Hey Barb - are you trying to stir it? This Janet mate of yours isn't a big tough lady is she? I wouldn't want her to come across the pond in order to do me a mischief!

#215562 - 09/26/08 5:32 pm Re: Spider says "enough of this gloom!" let's laug [Re: Grandad]  
ChazzyB Offline
BritBike Forum member
ChazzyB  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Surrey, Olde England
Originally Posted By: Grandad
This Janet mate of yours isn't a big tough lady is she? I wouldn't want her to come across the pond in order to do me a mischief!

Too late mate! Janet is resident in the East Riding.

#215569 - 09/26/08 6:32 pm Re: Spider says "enough of this gloom!" let's laug [Re: ChazzyB]  
old PJ Offline
BritBike Forum member
old PJ  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Royal Berkshire
Grandad a lad at work has a Velocette LE Mk 1 -2 ? about 1960 in his garage his going to restore it soon and his join the owners club. The bike has been in his family from new and it should be fun we will be taking the bike apart at work as part of his apprentership his working with me for 6 months and we hope to get most of it done .

Old PJ

#215575 - 09/26/08 7:57 pm Re: Spider says "enough of this gloom!" let's laug [Re: ChazzyB]  
rebelpaul Offline
BritBike Forum member
rebelpaul  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Essex,England.
This thread has brought back memories of my teenage years on the small island off the S.E coast of england where I grew up,the island is only 3 x 2 miles across and at that time the local plod had one of these little Velo's.Most evenings he would come to the youth club where we all used to hang out until the pubs got into full swing!,our bikes were a mixture of 350,500 and 650 BSA and Triumphs,AJS and Matchies,he would say,"you lads gonner behave tonight and treat the roads with respect",we always said of course officer!But during the evening he would see us roaring around the island but he could never catch up with us but as he knew which pub we hung out at he used to be there at closing time where he would say "I know it was you lot speeding earlier,one day I'll catch yer and throw the book at yer!"There was a chorus from us "not on that bike you won't!"Thing was he was a nice guy too.Halcyon days!! Paul.

78 TRIUMPH T140v BONNEVILLE
52 TRIUMPH 6T THUNDERBIRD (custom)
64/65 BSA A65 ROCKET (trike)
68 BSA B25 FLEETSTAR
#215785 - 09/28/08 9:17 am Re: Spider says "enough of this gloom!" let's laug [Re: rebelpaul]  
ricochetrider Online content
Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Online Content

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
grandad, thanks for the new cartoon...rebelpaul, thanks for corroboratin'(sp?) it with your account!

funny, both o' youse!

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

#215792 - 09/28/08 11:42 am Re: Spider says "enough of this gloom!" let's laug [Re: ricochetrider]  
Grandad Online content
BritBike Forum member
Grandad  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Hey Tom - this'll make you chuckle. The bloke I know who loves Velocette LEs is also Graham's father-in-law and he's persuaded G to store TWO of the beasties in his garden while he moves house and builds a new shed! Do you think G will get to like them as he barks his shins whenever he tries to get into his own workshop??

#215814 - 09/28/08 2:41 pm Re: Spider says "enough of this gloom!" let's laug [Re: Grandad]  
Mike Muir Offline
Life member
Mike Muir  Offline

Life member

somewhere in the UK
On one of my sacmpers around Kent in the early 70's I came across a "platoon" of fresh hatched constables all LE-mounted and with 'L' plates on display, being shepherded by another copper on a big twin (sorry, do not remember what, TR6P, perhaps). I seem to remember all the Newbies were wearing traditional Bobby hats, but the bloke in charge had regular open face type helmet.
At 200cc the LE was nicely under the limit for learner riders at the time, but I do not belive that was the only reason why thy were used by the police, somewhere I read that they used them in the big public parks to enable a rapid and silent patrol against evil-doers, much as horses are used in many cities, but without the extra care and feeding required.

Mike, home is where we moor it.

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.126s Queries: 15 (0.041s) Memory: 0.9058 MB (Peak: 1.1456 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-23 16:42:24 UTC