BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
John Michl
John Michl
Keokuk, Ia
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
212 registered members (68 royalstar tony), 1,745 guests, and 507 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
johnguppy, michael morgan, Xavier, J. Grant, Jerry
9952 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 177
koan58 91
Stuart 86
Popular Topics(Views)
434,442 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,243
Posts631,726
Members9,952
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#214802 - 09/21/08 8:26 pm 6t primary chain case oil leak  
Triton1974 Offline
BritBike Forum member
Triton1974  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Buckinghamshire, England
I have a 6t with a dynamo long case primary chain case. Having got the bike back on the road (for the first time in about 30 years)I get quite a lot of oil loss from the primary chain case. Its not coming from the cover joint so assume it comes from the behind the clutch? I was told the chain oil usually finds its level then stops leaking but this seems a little odd to always have large drips under the bike. Any ideas? Many thanks.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#214812 - 09/21/08 9:31 pm Re: 6t primary chain case oil leak [Re: Triton1974]  
HawaiianTiger Online content
BritBike Forum member
HawaiianTiger  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Maui Hawaii
Well, seal a pre unit primary cover? eh? You and every other pre unit owner would love to fix it. Now, just so happens, just before Triumph went to unit construction, they came up with something that kinda works. They changed the inner cover a tad, made the gearbox mainshaft hole an oval shape. Then they lined the inner side of the sliding washer with a very thin verneer of cork. In the center of the washer they fitted a double grooved ring which was swadged onto the washer. This carried an o-ring which rode upon the ouput gear nose. If you apply some compound like Gaskacinch(sp)a non hardening compound you have a chance of a lot less drips under there. You smear all over where the cork lined washer rides. All you really need to do is fabricate a washer with these features and it will help quite a bit I think. I know this because my bike has this mod. Asking around to the experts about this, I pretty much drew a blank. However, Cliff Rushworth at Ace Classics rekons its a mod for Police bikes of the era. There's no mention of this in any parts book I have ever seen.
Other than that, you could run without oil in there and just spray chain lube on the primary chain. That is if you don't ride very far or very often.
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Flying Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
#214813 - 09/21/08 9:32 pm Re: 6t primary chain case oil leak [Re: Triton1974]  
rebelpaul Offline
BritBike Forum member
rebelpaul  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Essex,England.
Hi,Just a thought,but have you replaced the chaincase screws with the new allen head stainless type?as a similar thing happened to me with my BSA and it turned out to be oil finding its way up the level screw thread,the only way I resolved the problem was to reuse the old level screw!Don't know if that helps!cheers,Paul.

78 TRIUMPH T140v BONNEVILLE
52 TRIUMPH 6T THUNDERBIRD (custom)
64/65 BSA A65 ROCKET (trike)
68 BSA B25 FLEETSTAR

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.495s Queries: 15 (0.041s) Memory: 0.8014 MB (Peak: 0.9392 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-18 00:52:37 UTC