BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
oggy
oggy
Lancashire, England
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
218 registered members (Adam M.), 1,807 guests, and 551 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 190
koan58 100
Stuart 84
NickL 66
Popular Topics(Views)
437,253 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,272
Posts632,156
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#206478 - 07/17/07 6:51 pm New LSR record - BSA Gold Star  
dave - NV Online content
BritBike Forum member
dave - NV  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Elko, Nevada USA
Phil Anderson from Reno, Nevada made it into the El Mirage record book last weekend riding his '55 CB34 BSA Gold Star in the pre '55 500cc Production Class. His record speed was 100.246 MPH. Not too bad for a 'production' Goldie running on the dry lake bed dirt at a 6000' + density altitude. This was the first run on the newly built up bike.

The very nice looking GS which meets all SCTA Production Class requirements was built by our friend Jerry Meadows who's also from Reno/Sparks. He had help from Phil Pearson Engineering in England and also from Dick Mann.
Perhaps you've heard of Jerry who is very active in the BSAOCNC and also well known for building show winning BSA restorations.

They are now getting the GS ready to run on the Bonneville Salt next month. Let's hope they do well.
I believe David Anderson from NC is also planning to run his GS on The Salt this year in the same pre '55 Production class.
There's gonna be a Goldie Race!

Southern California Timing Association

dave - NV
#206479 - 07/17/07 7:21 pm Re: New LSR record - BSA Gold Star  
TatMatt Offline
BritBike Forum
TatMatt  Offline
BritBike Forum

So Cal
Yep, it is a beautiful bike. I was one of the tech inspectors on his bike and it is very well done. It will be interesting to see Phil & Dave go against each other on the salt. I'll be putting around on my B34.

Matt

#206480 - 07/17/07 10:02 pm Re: New LSR record - BSA Gold Star  
DKA Offline
BritBike Forum member
DKA  Offline
BritBike Forum member

North Carolina
I was excited to hear the 100.246 mph run that Phil did at EM. I am looking forward to talking to him at Bonneville in August. I'll be there hanging out with Noisynorton and Matt but I will not be bringing my GS this year. Work is forcing me to be there only 3 days and at the only meet that I ran at Maxton this year I coasted through the lights at 89 mph. The condenser on the NOS magdyno I bought self destructed due to old age. (the lesson here is to get the armature rebuilt with a modern condenser) (another lesson is that high rev racing is hard on old equipment) I will be running again at Maxton in September and will hopefully take my Goldie to Bonneville again next year. I'm looking forward to this year thaough and am hoping more vintage machinery will show up.
David

#206481 - 07/18/07 3:35 am Re: New LSR record - BSA Gold Star  
Ron - in California R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
Ron - in California R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

California
Oh yes..! Fun to be had.. hey Dave.. I hope to make it next month... I take it you will go..? I think bringing my Goldie would be a must..? Gotta show support..!!!

Cheers.!!

Ron beerchug

#206482 - 07/18/07 8:06 am Re: New LSR record - BSA Gold Star  
noisy norton Offline
BritBike Forum member
noisy norton  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Riverside, CA.
I was at El Mirage on Sunday and while waiting in line to run I was pleasantly surprised to see the Goldie. Very handsome machine. For a second I thoufht DKA had made the trip west!! Congratulation on a record run. Hopefully I will see it at Bonneville. DKA, No Goldie at Bonneville???

God rides a Triumph but wishes it was a Norton.
#206483 - 07/18/07 1:57 pm Re: New LSR record - BSA Gold Star  
Alex Offline
BritBike Forum member
Alex  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Seattle
Quote:
Originally posted by noisy norton:
I was at El Mirage on Sunday
Does your wife know you went to El Mirage? laugh

Anyway...Wish that wasn't so far away. Would be nice to see a Goldie run balls out like that. I think we need some video! Anyone?

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
#206484 - 07/18/07 4:44 pm Re: New LSR record - BSA Gold Star  
noisy norton Offline
BritBike Forum member
noisy norton  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Riverside, CA.
She sure does. Has been with me at all the races for 35 years. Heres a reason you should be at El Mirage. Scott Baxter's gorgeous '46 BSA, my Norton, and Jim Kitchen's A Sedan. [img]http:// [img]http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/7279/mcjune07hs1.jpg[/img] [/IMG]

#206485 - 07/21/07 1:00 am Re: New LSR record - BSA Gold Star  
noisy norton Offline
BritBike Forum member
noisy norton  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Riverside, CA.
Apart from Phil Anderson's record run on his Goldie there were 7 other brit bikes at El Mirage. Dale Martin was the only other rider in the record breaking catagory.

175cc SC/VG Dale Martin(Triumph) 74.563

350cc A/VG Jill Iverson(BSA) 76.072 mph
Scott Baxter(BSA) 67.268 mph (Scott had trans problems and his run was a high gear only run.)

500cc A/PSPG Martin Doerfler(Tri.) 121.264 mph
500cc A/PSPG Bill Anderson(Norton) 122.787 mph
500cc SC/VG Matt Schuss(BSA) 78.344 mph

750cc A/PG Randy Smith(Triumph) 102.098 mph

#206486 - 07/21/07 7:42 am Re: New LSR record - BSA Gold Star  
441/R3cafeSteve Offline
BritBike Forum member
441/R3cafeSteve  Offline
BritBike Forum member

BC Canada
Please school me Noisy, is 500cc A/PSPG the unfaired pushrod modified class?
Sounds like a ton of fun would love to see and hear some vid! I am getting my passport so will again be BSA'ing down there soon.
Steve

The 441, most versatile BSA of the 60's
#206487 - 07/21/07 1:37 pm Re: New LSR record - BSA Gold Star  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Am I missing something?
The number plate says "A 350 VG", yes?
Or are my eyes worse than I thought?

#206488 - 07/21/07 5:24 pm Re: New LSR record - BSA Gold Star  
noisy norton Offline
BritBike Forum member
noisy norton  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Riverside, CA.
At El Mirage A (special construction or altered) and M (modified) classes run together. Hence the A on Scott's BSA. At Bonneville he runs in Modified. I guess his positioning of the letters leaves a bit to be desired. PSPG is the dsignation for Partial Streamlining Pushrod Gass. Pushrod classes were introduced some time ago to allow the Harleys, Triumphs and other pushrod engines to remain competitive. Also of note last Sunday, John Noonan took his turbo Hayabusa to top time of the meet with a run of 235+ mph.

#206489 - 07/21/07 5:27 pm Re: New LSR record - BSA Gold Star  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks, that makes sense - since A has a big wheelbase minimum.

#206490 - 07/23/07 2:09 am Re: New LSR record - BSA Gold Star  
In Remembrance
In Remembrance

California
Oh, I hope to be at Bonneville next month.. gotta see the Goldie go..! I hear there will be other Goldies running as well...!

Ron (not talking about the super duper secret weapon)...

#206491 - 07/23/07 3:08 am Re: New LSR record - BSA Gold Star  
noisy norton Offline
BritBike Forum member
noisy norton  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Riverside, CA.
It looks like DKA's Goldie won't be there. Which is most unfortunate. The 100+ run was beyond good considering the atmospheric conditions. I'm looking forward to seeing it at Bonneville and maybe getting to meet the rider.

#206492 - 08/06/07 3:56 am Re: New LSR record - BSA Gold Star  
dave - NV Online content
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Elko, Nevada USA
Noisy Nortoneer .. I've heard from the guys, Phil and Jerry will be on The Salt with the Goldie Friday the 10th for sign up and tech.

I'm planning to be over to spectate on Saturday and hopefully a few more days that week. It's only about a 1 1/2 hour commute for me from here in Elko.
I'm looking forward to meeting up with you gents and I too was hoping DKA would be racing his GS. Should be some fun eh?

dave - NV
#206493 - 08/06/07 4:23 am Re: New LSR record - BSA Gold Star  
noisy norton Offline
BritBike Forum member
noisy norton  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Riverside, CA.
Its been touch and go with the salt conditions over the past week. The SCTA officials finally gave it the go today. The schedule might be changed a bit as they are setting up new courses. The courses they had originally set up are under water right now. If they aren't ready to go Friday bear with them. We're setting out on Thursday. Bought an ancient "rolling commode" for the trip. Glad its on as I'm in deeper ($) than I had planned. You should make a trip to El Mirage. Nov. is a two day meet and as its the last of the season you get a lot of runners. Looking forward to seeing everyone there. I saw Phil Anderson's Goldie at El Mirage but didn't get to meet him. Maybe at Bonneville.
P.S. Washington Bob had been talking about being there. Anyone know if he's making the trip?

#206494 - 08/06/07 6:27 pm Re: New LSR record - BSA Gold Star  
dave - NV Online content
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Elko, Nevada USA
Noisy ... Yeah, I received this post from a CA GSr friend who's also planning to spectate this year.
Gus sez ...............
The big question is the condition of the salt. Dave , I guess you had some rain out east because SCTA is saying that there was as much as 6" of standing water as of the 30th
and still 2" Sunday. They are moving the course and hope to have it graded by the end of the week. Pray for a heat wave ( not rain ). Check www.scta-bni.org for updates.
I still remember the wet year '97(?) when there were deep puddles and chuck holes of (salty!) water everywhere. Makes a biggo mess on all the vehicles that's for sure.

Speaking of such messes, I guess everyone is familiar with the best way to wash salt off your vehicles by putting a common lawn sprinkler under it and let it run for a loong time?
A commercial high pressure car wash will blow salty water into cracks and crevasses in the body. Rust city! I'm told it's OK on rental cars tho!

Even after hosing my bike well after a visit, I still found corrosion in spoke nipples and engine mount plate joints. Prepping with spray on 'Pam' cooking oil works good I'm told.

BTW, the Bub sponsored 'bikes only' racing will be running out there next month. Might be interesting and certainly a more pleasant time of year seems to me.

dave - NV
#206495 - 08/07/07 12:47 am Re: New LSR record - BSA Gold Star  
noisy norton Offline
BritBike Forum member
noisy norton  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Riverside, CA.
I've heard about the "rust devils" at Bonneville. This is my first trip so I've been spraying everything with a product called "Salt Away". Supposed to be good. Financially I can only do one meet. BUB sounds good but I'll settle for Speedweek. Nearly ready to go!!

#206496 - 08/09/07 3:17 pm Re: New LSR record - BSA Gold Star  
In Remembrance
In Remembrance

California
OK, so it is Thursday morning.... I should be packing and not on this thing... but...

I am not sure when I will arrive.. but I will be there Saturday for sure...

Lots of guys trying to go fast... I like it..!!!

Dave.. call ya from the road on Friday....

Cheers..!!

Ron beerchug

#206497 - 08/14/07 8:25 am Re: New LSR record - BSA Gold Star  
In Remembrance
In Remembrance

California
Another record..! This time "Bonneville Brenda" struts her stuff on the salt..! And nice to meet the other "Anderson" guys there too..!!!!

OK, so conditions were less than perfect.. but very good at times... that said, the Goldie battled a strong cross wind on Sunday to "qualify" for a record run on early Monday morning... and 91.851 is the current record..! Now, there is one chap on a.. BMW that missed this morning, but quickly got back in line to try again... seems he found 10 mph somehow... we will soon know if the Goldie record is short lived. You have no idea how hard it is to tune there... 4,200 foot altitude, but the air density made it like 7,000 feet... can you say TOO RICH..! But still not bad for a first time effort..!!!

Yup, and that YB BSA looked all nice in line.. as did the two Westlake's... Fun was had by all..!!

Cheers..!!

Ron beerchug

#206498 - 08/14/07 8:34 am Re: New LSR record - BSA Gold Star  
In Remembrance
In Remembrance

California
OK, hope I do this right...

#206499 - 08/14/07 8:46 am Re: New LSR record - BSA Gold Star  
In Remembrance
In Remembrance

California
One more.. just because.. and after all, it is a BSA... heh Talk about "Game Face.!"

The starter has just given his advice as follows:

1. Be SAFE

2. Have Fun

3. Go FAST..!

"Remember rule one, and remember that the throttle works both directions.."

#206500 - 08/14/07 9:36 pm Re: New LSR record - BSA Gold Star  
dave - NV Online content
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Elko, Nevada USA
Hey, we had some fun on The Salt last weekend! It was sure great to meet up with the David and Bill Anderson(sen?) and of course our old friend Phil Anderson from Reno racing his Meadows built Goldie. Natch the racers had their 'issues' going fast out on The Salt.

A strange place to tune and gear for that's for sure! The density altitude of 7000+ feet, the temps in the high 90s and the high moisture content in the air is a real challenge to tune for, especially for their first vist as they were dealing with.

Anyhow ... after dealing with a (new) battery failure and this 'n that tuning issues, winds closing down the course causing a looong wait Sunday PM, the Anderson/Meadows Goldie did qualify Sunday and set a record in the 500 cc pre '55 production class early Monday morning.

We sure enjoyed a champagne toast for them at lunch (yum!) at a local Basque hotel when they passed through here yesterday on their way home. Goodo on em! I like that.

There's much to see at Bonneville. There are so many creatively built cars and bikes out there it will certainly give you sensory overload just walking through the pits which is well over 1/2 mile long.
Many/most of them make our hobby playing with the olde BI seem like childs play.

How fast was Scott Baxter able to go on his 'lil iron '46 350cc YB BSA? Ya gotta love it!
Noisy, how were your runs after we left?
Ron ... Thanks for posting the photos. More?

dave - NV
#206501 - 08/15/07 3:03 pm Re: New LSR record - BSA Gold Star  
HUGOCT Offline
BritBike Forum member
HUGOCT  Offline
BritBike Forum member

FLOWERMOUND, TEXAS, 75022, USA
I'm getting an Air Density Gauge reading of 98 in Dallas
What can I expect at the Bub meet?
Any readings from this last SCTA session?
thanks

#206502 - 08/16/07 12:06 am Re: New LSR record - BSA Gold Star  
noisy norton Offline
BritBike Forum member
noisy norton  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Riverside, CA.
Hi Dave, Just got back this afternoon. As it was my first trip to Bonneville I was completely blank as to tuning. My rookie run was 116 and short on gearing. Sundays run at the record was a sputtering 101. A brand new battery that didn't want to work. But 101 was 2 mph over the existing record so I qualified for a second "return" run. A change of battery and a drop of two sizes in main jet got me a 120+ run and an new record with an average of 111.015 against the old record of 99. Could have been better but I aint *****in'!!!! Scott Baxter kissed the valves with the piston on his third run. He had new valves with him and the last time I saw him he was in the process of fitting new valves.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allan Gill 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.119s Queries: 15 (0.009s) Memory: 0.9853 MB (Peak: 1.3179 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-21 11:59:00 UTC