BritBike Forum

Sponsors campaign ads..
BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor
Shout Box

BritBike.com Decals & Stickers (Free shipping)
BritBike.com decals & stickers
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Who's Online
81 registered (Lee Monnet, larrytg, Tasman, HawaiianTiger, Redmoggy, AG Bill, SGOUD, Dave - North of 60, jimm, Tridentman, Colonel, DavidP, Lennart, D.Bachtel, robcurrie, Tim Inks, Rattleballs, Jerry Roy, C.B.S, BOB in NW PA, M Shearer, corymarc, BobM, Bob E, lemans, Groop, Kerry W, jdeadly, mike07, Mark Z, Bob Buchanan, Don P., LarryLebel, bsalloyd, Rusty Goose, Pete R, 44RIMFIRE, TonUpTrav, gregmac, ChrisX, connrod, KC in S.B., John Healy, Ob1quixote, Pender, craigw, Prince Charles, zoe, ed_h, Semper Gumby, Peter Quick, Lannis, Boomer, konon, ricochetrider, Steve Erickson, Rickman, BSA_WM20, Allan, 737Captain, pat cross, RF Whatley, Dave M, russrudolph, desco, Richrd, Washington Bob, crank, J. Charles Smith, JBMorris, MattL, bill50cal, L.A.B., Tidza Tiger, downhere, oldcrow, Dave Comeau, KennethC., RGSDave, intrudin, Alan_nc), 367 Guests and 228 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
boonoorong, Scouse193, dk70bsa, Tiger Shark, Persol
7496 Registered Users
Forum Stats
7496 Members
32 Forums
50104 Topics
462896 Posts

Max Online: 1804 @ 03/01/11 6:54 pm
Top Posters
RF Whatley 9986
John Healy 8176
Lannis 7999
Alex 7074
ricochetrider 6867
JubeePrince 5926
Stuart 5470
kommando 5065
Jon W. Whitley 4528
Blapper 4528
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#205856 - 03/23/07 10:17 am Seeley and Rickman frames
bazza Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: New Zealand
Can anyone tell me, in which year did messers Seeley and Rickman start to make their respective frames.
...thanks, Barry.

#205857 - 03/23/07 11:52 am Re: Seeley and Rickman frames
Melbourne Metisse Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Can't say about Seeley, but the first scrambles Métisse appeared around February / March 1959. It is generally thought that it's competition debut was at Bulbarrow in Dorset. Basically the MkI and II were TriBsa's and the 'real' MkIII Métisses with Rickman-built chrome moly, nickel plated frames came along in 1962.

Of course you can still buy beautiful new Rickman frames from Métisses Motorcycles in Faringdon near Oxford, however there are some poor copies floating about that claim Rickman heritage...

#205858 - 03/23/07 1:28 pm Re: Seeley and Rickman frames
NYroadrocket Offline
BritBike Forum

Loc: New York
Seeley started with his own frames in 1965. The MK2 in 1966, MK3 around 1968 and MK4 in 1971.

I have a MK4 and for a twin, I think it is the best option. The other frames were designed for the 7R/G50 engines, although some Norton twins were used in the MK3.

You can see all about my bike with the link below.

Cheers,
Jordan
AHRMA, USCRA, VRRA, WERA #719
1972 Seeley Commando F750
http://www.nycseeley.com

#205859 - 03/23/07 9:14 pm Re: Seeley and Rickman frames
bazza Offline
BritBike Forum member

Thanks for that guys,
Nice site Jordan, is that Norman White in one of your photos?

BTW...how many degrees difference in steering head angle between an off road frame and a road-race one?

I'd be interested to hear of any sites dedicated to DIY frame construction...Barry

#205860 - 03/26/07 1:02 pm Re: Seeley and Rickman frames
NYroadrocket Offline
BritBike Forum

Loc: New York
I've also owned a Rickman road racing frame. Don't think that the road and dirt frames are interchangeable. The head tube angles are different (more slack on the off-road) and the frames are completely different design.
AHRMA, USCRA, VRRA, WERA #719
1972 Seeley Commando F750
http://www.nycseeley.com

#205861 - 03/26/07 1:12 pm Re: Seeley and Rickman frames
Melbourne Metisse Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
NYRR is right - the MkIII & MkIV scrambles (motocross) frames are completely different to the road frames, even though for example a 650 Triumph could be fitted to both on and off-road types.

However I've got a MkIV that I've converted to road use and with a swinging arm one inch longer than standard plus a Betor front end from a Rickman Honda 750, it is an absolute hoot to ride!

The roadster frames are much longer and slower steering, but I suspect they are much more stable too.

#205862 - 03/27/07 1:54 pm Re: Seeley and Rickman frames
beltdriveman Offline
BritBike Forum

If you get down to do some welding for me I will let you look at Mr Newton Equipments copy of Mr Seeleys book!!!
Finished shoving that mains wire in yet???

#205863 - 03/27/07 10:56 pm Re: Seeley and Rickman frames
bazza Offline
BritBike Forum member

...shame I'm no t much of a welder...yet, Mr Beltdrive . 'coz I'd like to read your Seeley book. Who wrote and published it, could you tell me its ISBN number?
Michael Moores website is a good one if you are interested in frame and race bike building...
he's at www.eurospares.com
I know a guy who, like you Melby, has used his Metisse scrambles frame on the road but without modifying it, and he claims it handled well. He built it himself in the mid 1960s when he was an apprentice and still has the jig which he has offered to me.
Kind of him forsure , but I'm reluctant to accept as I want a road specific frame
I see ABSAF and other top builders use a Seeley frame, I guess they've done their homework...Barry.

Home, Sponsors
Newsletter, Regalia
Calendar, Bike Project
BritBike Museum
Spiders Cartoons

"OLD" BritBike Forum

DVD- Manuals & Parts books
BritBike Stickers & Decals

Upgrade your membership-
one year or for life*

BritBike Forum