BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
The Bonneville Shop JRC Engineering dealers
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Alan Lonneville
Alan Lonneville
Ohio,USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
50 registered members (Alan_nc), 262 guests, and 405 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Davenz13, Sean65, Rerock, pkuzyk, Hunter S
10476 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 89
franko 71
Triless 67
Popular Topics(Views)
746,989 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,810
Posts670,256
Members10,476
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
rake and trail flat track #203951
03/19/06 3:46 pm
03/19/06 3:46 pm
easley south carolina
B
bsadb Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
bsadb  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
B

easley south carolina
Kboyd was just asking questions about round track tires. My question is rake angle and trail for a trackmaster frame. What is the proper shock and fork legnth for a trackmaster?
There is a flat track in SC now and I'd love to try it.

Always use the Golden Rule.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: rake and trail flat track #203952
03/20/06 5:45 pm
03/20/06 5:45 pm
Kansas
kboyd Offline
BritBike Forum member
kboyd  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Kansas
I ended up talking to a couple of experienced flattrackers/tuners and got some advice on the suspension subject. I didn't realize just how secretive folks can be about flattrack suspension, its like "I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you!"....

Anyway, the rear shocks should be 13", but 12.5" to 13.5" will do, depending on shock sag under rider weight and front end rake/trail. Choose shock springs (usually around 70 to 80 lbs depending on your weight) that sag about 25% of their travel under rider weight (or 1" of the 4" of travel), making sure that the swingarm does not go negative under heavy load!

Steering head angle should be 26 degrees, the front forks should be about 30", and if my memory is correct the springs should be around 23# for flattrack. I'll check that number when I get home.

So set your rear shock length to get your swingarm angle, then adjust front fork height to achieve correct trail (end result of neck rake, neck height, axle position on forks, etc). This is an over-simplification, but that's the basic procedure as I was told.

I have now dispatched the Flattrack Suspension Secret Society goons to your house... they should be there any moment to drink all your beer and give really bad setup advice!

Good luck,
Kyle

Kyle#44x

1969 T100R Daytona
1979 Powroll Honda XR250 "Dallas Baker" flattracker
1975 XL350 project bike
Re: rake and trail flat track #203953
04/14/06 1:36 am
04/14/06 1:36 am
atlanta
ambivolent Offline
BritBike Forum
ambivolent  Offline
BritBike Forum

atlanta
i was talking to my dad who was sponsored by yamaha back in the day and he said 28 to 20 degrees was a good rake angle to use on the bike and extending the swingarm about 1-2 inches helps handling while sliding in the corners

"Chrome dont get you home!"
Re: rake and trail flat track #203954
04/14/06 5:40 pm
04/14/06 5:40 pm
Elko, Nevada USA
dave - NV Offline

BritBike Forum member
dave - NV  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Elko, Nevada USA
Some chassis "set up", info you may/may not find useful. Certainly not 'pro level' but ...

Just out of curiosity I had son Joel measure the rake @ 22 on their (Richard's Racing) newest/latest/greatest C&J framed Rotax powered dirt tracker. Steep eh? I don't have this bike's trail but can get it from him. This bike chassis is fairly easily tuned with an adjustable length Penske rear single shock and adjustable offset/trail triple trees. And natch the Yam R6 fork tubes can be slid up/down in the clamps. We'll see.

This is a bit steeper than our Goldie rigid Sonic Weld tracker @25 rake with 3.67" trail. We have the Cerriani rr fork tubes slid up as high as is safe for tire clearance at full compression. And have fitted modified rear axle plates raising the rear end ~ 1/2" above OEM SW plates. I really dislike the way the GS feels at 'putt speed', as it's as wiggly and sensitive as a trials or speedway bike seems to me. But the front tire does stay hooked better than many/most and Joel likes it.

Front tire traction is 'everything' you know, as it will determine your corner entry speed. Being able to control a sliding and tucking in front end in the corners before needing to back off the gas is a key to going fast. But you all knew that ...

There's not been a problem (so far) with head shake with the GS even on rough tracks. But in my estimation the bike needs more trail to be safer which I want to experiment with, 'someday' ... sheeze.

Here's a 'plug and play' trail calculator on the Net.
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/advchoppercalc.html

have fun, go fast, don't skin yer knees!

Dave - NV
Re: rake and trail flat track #203955
04/19/06 4:18 pm
04/19/06 4:18 pm
Kansas
kboyd Offline
BritBike Forum member
kboyd  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Kansas
Thanks for posting that cxalculator Dave!

U-D-Man...

I'm still trying to get the flattracker done, but took time off it to get my Tri 500 on the road. Have you seen the gas prices lately! Yikes...

I'm becoming less fond of the 2-stroke motor.. It just doesn't feel right to a 4-stroke fanatic. I liked it a lot better when rebuilding the top end (read as- "el cheapo"). Oh well.. I was building a 500 twin for it anyway, now I'm giving it a bit more priority than before!

Kyle

Kyle#44x

1969 T100R Daytona
1975 XL350 project bike
Re: rake and trail flat track #203956
05/19/06 1:47 pm
05/19/06 1:47 pm
Kansas
kboyd Offline
BritBike Forum member
kboyd  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Kansas
I just had to make a correction in the spring rate for fork springs that I posted above. I got dislexic I guess... 23lbs should be 32-34lbs for most vintage flattrack... I was looking over my notes and figured I'd better post the right info.

Kyle

Kyle#44x

1969 T100R Daytona
1975 XL350 project bike

Moderated by  Allan Gill 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership