BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
DoubleDiamond
DoubleDiamond
Hampshire, England
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
213 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,793 guests, and 542 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 185
koan58 100
Stuart 86
NickL 63
Popular Topics(Views)
436,674 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,267
Posts632,078
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#203786 - 02/23/06 8:45 am crankshaft weight for racing 650 triumph  
spook Offline
BritBike Forum member
spook  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Melbourne australia.
How far does one reduce the crank weight on a racing 650 p/u motor before problems occur and what are they?

#203787 - 02/24/06 8:05 am Re: crankshaft weight for racing 650 triumph  
Mark Parker Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mark Parker  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Bega NSW Australia
You can take off a substantial amount if you re-phase the crank to 90 deg, on a std A65 crank we cut and re-phased we threw away the flywheel and replaced it with a narrow center section with counter weights bolted on. This can work quite well because the pistons are no longer stopping at TDC and BDC together, instead when one stops the other is still moving contributing some flywheel effect. I think the dynamic load on the crank is also reduced, we had no problem reving it to 9000.

mark
#203788 - 02/24/06 8:17 am Re: crankshaft weight for racing 650 triumph  
Melbourne Metisse Offline
BritBike Forum member
Melbourne Metisse  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Melbourne, Australia
To quote from the Stan Shenton book "Triumph Tuning "...
"There is no need to lighten the flywheel on 500 or 650 Triumphs. In fact the heavier the wheel the better. After 650 engine number DU24875, a 2Żlb heavier crankshaft assembly was fitted. This can be used in earlier engines and the balance afctor remains at 85%"
They won 24 hour races with their engines so they knew what they were doing!

#203789 - 02/27/06 5:30 pm Re: crankshaft weight for racing 650 triumph  
bsadb Offline
BritBike Forum member
bsadb  Offline
BritBike Forum member

easley south carolina
Look at the Triumph owners club link from the mainn page of this web site and you will find My hero Kevin Cameron's artical. You will be looking for weights to weld on your flywheel.

Always use the Golden Rule.
#203790 - 02/27/06 9:37 pm Re: crankshaft weight for racing 650 triumph  
bsadb Offline
BritBike Forum member
bsadb  Offline
BritBike Forum member

easley south carolina
Some of my freinds at the local dragstrip have discovered adding weight to their mini dragster briggs motors have inmpoved speed and time on the strip.
Someone told me the Nurish racing cranks for Nortons is much heaver than the original?

#203791 - 02/28/06 1:03 am Re: crankshaft weight for racing 650 triumph  
bsadb Offline
BritBike Forum member
bsadb  Offline
BritBike Forum member

easley south carolina
I wish someone with a Nurish cranked Norton would give their two cents on this topic. Ive been Thinking about getting a heavy wheel for my a70.
I tend to think the extra weight helps stablize
the crank from "floping around like a wet noodle"
as my friend Teb Hubbard says.

#203792 - 02/28/06 1:20 am Re: crankshaft weight for racing 650 triumph  
dave - NV Online content
BritBike Forum member
dave - NV  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Elko, Nevada USA
I and others have had long discussions regard the optimum flywheel weight of a Gold Star crank.
Lotsa variables here if you give it some thought...
A single cylinder engine fires and supplies power to the crank once every 720║ of rotation. And the Tri verical twins re this discussion each 360║ of crank rotation there's a power stroke. It's a proven fact the flywheel rotation rpm, @ degrees/sec changes with each and every power stroke.
During the compression cycle the flywheel speed slows under load and then during the power stroke the flywheel is accelerated.
BTW, this is the reason why a "cush drive", on the crank is important to protect the drive train during these changes in rotational speed. The cush is absorbing these changes each 360║ or 720║ of crank rotation. Make sense?

Anyhow .. what we don't know is how much flywheel weight the mfg. added just to make the engine appear to be smooth especially at the lower rpms most road bikes are ridden. As has been mentioned, there is a optimum amount of flywheel inertia required for optimum power carrying the engine efficiently through it's cycles at the rpms we are concerned with.

Interestingly Phil Pearson the Gold Star guru has determined the OEM GS flywheel was a bit too light for optimum performance and his pressed up cro-mo cranks many of us use are a bit heavier then OEM. But then his latest/greatest short stoke 9k rev 350 cranks have lighter 'oval' flywheels. hmmm.

I have long thought that larger diameter but lighter weight wheels in a GS would give the inertia required for good performance. The GS cases have room inside for the larger diameter wheels and merely adding a 'oil scraper' would make them work. hmmm.

Now what's really goofy is to have a GS crank on the bench alongside a modern Yam YZ450 crank. Whoa, what's the deal here? Obviously the Yam's bigger bore and shorter stroke engine design is different, but difference in the size of the wheels is huge and the Yam makes max power only about 1k revs higher than a GS. hmmm.

The common crank modifications to the YZ450 cranks when they are stroked building a 502 cc engine by Halycon is to add #2 1/2 weight with welded on plates and 'heavy metal' inserts. We also use the heavier ignition flywheels. Sadly there's no more room in the cases for more flywheel diameter or width which is the common curse of all these 'modern' designed for MX 450-500 engines.
When 'built' that 60-65 hp makes it fast, but with a touchy throttle.
But then go racing and 'everyone has one'. aarrgh.
hmmm.....

dave - NV
#203793 - 02/28/06 4:48 pm Re: crankshaft weight for racing 650 triumph  
Phatt Bob Offline
BritBike Forum member
Phatt Bob  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cheshire UK
For my kind of racing, I always use full weight flywheels. Only allowance I make is for skimming the flywheels so they don't batter the tops of the cams when the crank flexes, as it must do.

Vibration is minimal so balance factor is an irrelevance when the motor is under load for 440 yards.

The improved time on the drag strip will invariably be made up by a better launch due to the higher inertia of the flywheel, this is where races are won or lost.

My opinion only, probably not shared by others.

Phatt Bob
'95 Daytona 1200
'98 Daytona 1200 dragbike
ex-850 T140 Caff Racer, 850 Triton, Morgo T120, Starfire and Pretend Daytona 500 owner

Moderated by  Allan Gill 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.069s Queries: 14 (0.005s) Memory: 0.8395 MB (Peak: 1.0121 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-20 21:05:39 UTC