BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Kenny
Kenny
Oklahoma
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
205 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,624 guests, and 585 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery
9959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 184
koan58 99
Stuart 86
NickL 73
Popular Topics(Views)
439,367 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,295
Posts632,522
Members9,959
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#203249 - 10/14/05 2:55 pm Amal GP question  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm trying to suss the difference in function between the fixed air correction jet (316/052) and air valve assembly (2502, etc.). Different original lit says (paraphrased) "fixed jet is correct as supplied but also available in other sizes for special use", or "air valve is used to change air correction value at rider's convenience". The valve is normally open, but closed for starting. No lit has both descriptions. All GP (and TT, RN) have all these parts.

???

#203250 - 10/14/05 3:26 pm Re: Amal GP question  
spook Offline
BritBike Forum member
spook  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Melbourne australia.
Hi Panic, If I remember correctly,the manualy operated air valve is used to change rich/leanness due to changes when racing mountainous circuits. I think the referance was "Tuning for Speed." Cheers Russell.

#203251 - 10/14/05 3:53 pm Re: Amal GP question  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

This suggests that the air jet size as supplied is not suitable for use, but must be made larger for altitude correction, then regulated down to less than its maximum area by partially closing the air valve. Opening the air valve does nothing if the jet is still the restriction.
The jet appears to be correct only if the air slide is not used in operation - starting only.
Also means that testing for air jet size must be done using the actual jet to be vetted, as there's no linear result from air slide lever position.

#203252 - 10/14/05 9:27 pm Re: Amal GP question  
dave - NV Offline
BritBike Forum member
dave - NV  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Elko, Nevada USA
Having run and tuned GP carbs for many years, perhaps I can add a bit of info regards the "enrichener", air circuit and 'this 'n that'.

The GP carb was designed as a racing carb and has a neat feature to make it easier to be adjusted for max engine performance.
The "enrichener control", enriches the mixture throughout the carb operating range by restricting the "air correction jet", air flow.

It is not a choke as is typically thought of, but was designed for tuning purposes. However it can and is often used by some riders for a slightly richer starting mixture. I've also read that some IOM racers used it to compensate for the altitude changes on the course. I dunno ...

With the spring loaded enrichener plunger all the way down, with a 'slack cable', the mixture is enrichened approximately the equivalent of 3 to 4 main jet sizes.
The way it was intended to be used was with a 'guesstimated' slightly lean main jet installed, the bike is run at top speed in top gear and the tach reading is noted. Then the enrichener is used to slightly enrichen the mixure. If higher revs are noted, the main jet is obviously a bit too lean and is replaced and the bike is again run for max revs.
The enrichener could also be used for testing for optimum needle and slide settings at lower speeds.

That all being said, I and many others have removed the complete plunger and cable assembly and plugged the hole with a bolt. This leaves the air correction slot feeding air to the correction jet wide open at all times.

Having tuned and run Goldies at various altitudes from sea level to 5-6000 above sea level, I and most others have found the OEM fixed air correction jet size to be OK and it's not overly critical.
But of course the main jet, needle setting and slide cut away need to be changed as required for changes in altitude. The GP is quite sensitive in that regard.
I live at ~ 5000 ft and it's a ritual to change tuning whenever I ride in CA or other areas at lower altitudes. I typically richen the main jet 2 sizes and raise the needle a notch when riding at sea level and adjust the idle as required. I sure enjoy the extra power riding at low altitude!

Here's something many guys have overlooked when first fitting a GP carb on their road bike. If the GP was set up for use on a megaphone equiped racer in it's previous life, as many of these carbs were, the low and midrange setting will be quite lean. There will oftentimes be a 3GP6 'lean' needle vs a 3GP and a #6 or 7 slide vs a #3 or 4 installed for road riding with a "twitter".
The reason for this is due to the pesky exhaust reversion pulses present with an engine having long overlap cams. The low and mid range carb settings are usually set quite lean to compensate for double/triple loading of the intake air when the revs are low and the engine is "off the pipe".

It's interesting to be able to see the little cloud of fuel enriched air hovering at the mouth of the carb at low revs when weather conditions allow it. Increase the revs and the cloud disapears.
However if you have properly modified your exhaust with 'modern tech', you have nearly eliminated exhaust reversion problems and the dreaded stumbling "megaphoneitus".

BTW, using the ignition retard control on the mag can also be used for setting optimum timing in much the same manner as using the enrichener.
With the timing set a few degrees too far advanced, the bike is ridden and the spark advance control is then retarded a bit for max revs at top speed.
With the bar control left in that position the timing is measured and the the mag is then reset to the measured timing advance value with the bar control at the max advance stop.

And again with all that being said, I and most racers eliminated the bar spark advance control and run the mag at full advance at all times.
But it sure is nice these days to have a Boyer MP sparkler system with the auto advance! This makes a typically fussy highly tuned Goldie a ****y cat to tune, start and ride slow.
Accurate big sparks are a wonderful thing!

dave - NV

Moderated by  Allan Gill 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.420s Queries: 14 (0.037s) Memory: 0.8063 MB (Peak: 0.9452 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-24 02:17:09 UTC