BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
desertrat
desertrat
Arizona
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
211 registered members (750Bonny), 1,833 guests, and 546 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 188
koan58 100
Stuart 88
NickL 65
Popular Topics(Views)
436,895 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,269
Posts632,124
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#202556 - 05/15/05 2:39 pm BSA B34 Dirt Track Bike questions 4U!!!  
Morgan aka Admin Online happy
Ride safe today!
Morgan aka Admin  Online Happy

Ride safe today!

Gothenburg, Sweden
Hi there,

I'm in an early stage of starting to collect parts for a Gold Star Dirt Tracker but I'll use it as a legal Street Bike!

Therefore I'll have to ad brakes lights etc.
It is however hard to find the parts so I'll be open to all suggestione from you helpful visitors wink
This is my project inspiration photo!

I have been able do find a BB34GS engine which I belive is an ex scramble enginge but rebuilt as "touring" nowadays.

Question for the engine expert panel: Please give me comments on this engine, my intention is not to race.
Anybody out there who knows where to find a complete DBD34???

I'm looking for a BB32R frame ( Short curcuit racing frame as on the pic above)

Well infact I can consider to buy a complete Dirt Tracker similar to above pic anyone out there who knows if there is one for sale???

I'm off now and will be back on wednesday May 18th. bigt

Thanks for your help in advance.... clap

BSAing you
Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.

BSA Gold Star forum This board is dedicated to BSA Gold Star motorcycles.

#202557 - 05/15/05 4:26 pm Re: BSA B34 Dirt Track Bike questions 4U!!!  
Gordo in Comox Offline
BritBike Forum member
Gordo in Comox  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Comox BC Canada
Morgan; I would try getting a frame from K&S in the UK as original frames are a little hard to come by. The BB engine would be just fine for a road machine after all they did well at Daytona (slightly upgraded) and had a few TT successes. Not quite the go or look of a DBD but usable I would think. "Touring" could mean anything but would normally be CR and cams. Even with modern fuel I would use a 9:1 piston and some reasonble cams, maybe 65-2454 and 65-2446. The cams are so easy to change that you could really play around to get the type of performance you can live with. You need a TT or GP carb setup to really look the part.
Gordo
BB32GS

Without frequent roadside repairs there is no fun in riding!
#202558 - 05/15/05 5:07 pm Re: BSA B34 Dirt Track Bike questions 4U!!!  
Ride safe today!

Ride safe today!

Gothenburg, Sweden
Thanks Gordo,

Yes I know of Nick Simpson and K&S. However I may find it hard to register the frame here in Sweden if it's new made. Completely different rules. So I will try the longest to find a genuine old frame.

There was one imported to sweden many years back but I cannot trace it. So you American members keep your eyes and ears open... laugh

I will open up a board specially for this project soon cool
It's one of those things that makes it great to be the BritBike forum administrator...hehehe laugh laugh

BSAing you
Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
#202559 - 05/17/05 2:52 am Re: BSA B34 Dirt Track Bike questions 4U!!!  
Sonic Twin Offline
BritBike Forum
Sonic Twin  Offline
BritBike Forum

Indianapolis, IN
Morgan,

I am doing something similar to you, but from the opposite direction. I have a BB32R frame, but no engine. I intend to build and race it over here in the USA. I will probably buy a Pierson or ABSAF engine when I have the money, unless I can find a DB or DBD with a history first. I have a few parts collected, including a handmade aluminum lower fork clamp, made in So Cal back in the day to skirt the AMA rulebook. Several years ago Ramon Perez in California was selling his second, "Silver", Goldie Racer. I believe it had a replica frame. I don't know what ever happened to it.

#202560 - 05/17/05 6:26 pm Re: BSA B34 Dirt Track Bike questions 4U!!!  
dave - NV Online content
BritBike Forum member
dave - NV  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Elko, Nevada USA
Hi Morgan .. It's good to hear you are 'still on track' wanting/needing/lusting over another Gold Star!

An idea for you ... You mention locating a BB34 engine. Perhaps you should consider building up a rigid framer using a ZB, B31/33 frame and the BB engine? With the early BSA pieces being interchangeable this would not seem too terribly difficult. Granted it would not be as 'trick' as a bike with the later duplex dirt tracker frame, but a racer replica from what's now called the "dinosaur era", of the pre 1951 dirt trackers would have a lot of appeal it seems to me.

My vintage racing friend, Ken Lighthouse also here in northern Nevada, has "Dino Tracker under construction now. However he's building it using a ZB34GS Gold Star engine. Hopefully he will have it completed soon. His problem is the time/money it takes building and prepping his 'fleet' of vintage road racers is so demanding.

Anyhow ... It would seem the older rigid lugged frames should be fairly easy to find in Europe, especially in England. Tens of thousands of those old singles were ridden for transportation there in the early years.
What's great about building up and owning a 'special' is you are not tied to a particular model or year and you can create what you want out of pieces that are affordable and more readily available. And then spend the rest of your riding days changing things around to match your latest whim.
Fun stuff seems to me.

Now that all being said .. I want to build up a "Hot rod", ZB34 using the pieces of the much worn '51 ZB34, iron engine, plunger frame bike I have. Last year I traded for a good front frame section to replace the bent and crude repaired piece. However I'm still looking for a good rigid rear frame section here in the US to replace the plunger. Anyone help me?
I've also been slowly accumulating some B31 and B33 engines and parts.
Lets see ... build up a 'killer' high compresh, big valve, hot cam, revy Iron Engine, run it on alky and terrorize my Goldie road riding friends!
aahh geeze...

Sonic Twin ... Tom Horton the the very fast (ex GN) vintage dirt tracker in CA who we race with/against, has bought Ramon's GS tracker. He told me at Willow a couple weeks ago he has the chassis refurbished and ready and is only waiting for the engine to be built up. He should have it running soon we hope.
Anything I/we can do to help you get your tracker up and running? No 'extra' engines to offer however ..

I'm getting ready for another trip to California in a few days. Joel will be (hopefully) racing the 19v Goldie at Santa Maria next weekend.

dave - NV
#202561 - 05/18/05 8:46 pm Re: BSA B34 Dirt Track Bike questions 4U!!!  
Ryan C. Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ryan C.  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Vancouver, BC
Hello Morgan. A friend is considering selling his BB32R flat tracker. The serial number is 29 digits earlier than mine. I will contact you off line with his phone number.

Ryan
Vancouver, Canada

#202562 - 05/19/05 5:01 am Re: BSA B34 Dirt Track Bike questions 4U!!!  
Sonic Twin Offline
BritBike Forum
Sonic Twin  Offline
BritBike Forum

Indianapolis, IN
Dave,

I am glad to hear that Ramon's bike will again be in such capable hands. I was fortunate enough to race with Ramon a couple of times, including the evening he crashed, and he has a very clean style. I also wanted to congratulate you and Joel on your results at Willow. George and Gary are both very fast, I know, I have tasted their dirt more than once (in the same race even). My BB32R is still years away as cash is somewhat thin on the ground around here. However, I am always on the look out for genuine So-Cal racing Goldie bits as I would like to recreate a bike as close to a genuine Ascot bike as possible. In other words, as close to Dennis Mahan's (Neil Keen's) bike as possible. Love to find an old tank or pipe from one of Gunter's bikes or something like that. I'll never be as fast as you and Joel, but It would make a neat racing tribute to those who came before.

Thanks.

#202563 - 05/19/05 11:58 am Re: BSA B34 Dirt Track Bike questions 4U!!!  
Ride safe today!

Ride safe today!

Gothenburg, Sweden
RKCNC,

Thank you for sending the phone # I'll give him a call. However buying a complete racer, shipping it to Sweden, get it thru customs and then strip off the wheels and a few other things which cannot be used for roaduse needs a faily low price in the first place. We'll se what comes out of it. Thanks again.

Dave,

Thanks for your comments, you are right the B31 B33 rigid frames are not hard to find over here But But But..... It's not the same at all, the BB34R frame are just the frame I want/need long for... wink

Sonic Twin,

How about letting your frame go me ...... laugh
I sure would not cry... eek

BSAing you
Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
#202564 - 05/19/05 10:51 pm Re: BSA B34 Dirt Track Bike questions 4U!!!  
hacksaw Offline
BritBike Forum member
hacksaw  Offline
BritBike Forum member

hamden, ct.
Quote:
Originally posted by Morgan:
Thanks Gordo,

Yes I know of Nick Simpson and K&S. However I may find it hard to register the frame here in Sweden if it's new made. Completely different rules. So I will try the longest to find a genuine old frame.

There was one imported to sweden many years back but I cannot trace it. So you American members keep your eyes and ears open... laugh

I will open up a board specially for this project soon cool
It's one of those things that makes it great to be the BritBike forum

administrator...hehehe laugh laugh
why cant you have common old bsa numbers cut out
of a scrap frame and welded into a k&s frame? or similar?

#202565 - 05/20/05 2:55 am Re: BSA B34 Dirt Track Bike questions 4U!!!  
Ron - in California R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
Ron - in California R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

California
Well.. I know it may not be what you want.. but I bet you can find a B31/31 swing arm parts bike pretty cheap. Rigids on the street can be hard on the olde back... I know.. it is not what you want...

But.. a "proper" single making proper noises is what it is all about..!!

Cheers..!!

Ron

#202566 - 05/21/05 10:15 pm Re: BSA B34 Dirt Track Bike questions 4U!!!  
Ride safe today!

Ride safe today!

Gothenburg, Sweden
Hacksaw,

Yes I could do just that but #1 I'll first try hard to get what I want and if I cannot find then I I'll reconsider.

Ron,

I've ridden rigid B33's and other bikes so I know what's it's like. Have had S/A DBD34 too so I can compare. It's just that feeling have been growing for a few years now and it appeals to me so much. I'll try and go for a proper BB34R frame. Please keep your eyes open.
bigt

BSAing you
Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
#202567 - 05/23/05 4:43 pm Re: BSA B34 Dirt Track Bike questions 4U!!!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Morgan ..... I have been active asking around looking for a GS tracker for you. Last week I quizzed Dick newby the GS guru/collector in California. He gave me a contact that I'll follow up on it next week when I get home later in the week.
I had a chat in the pits at Santa Maria yesterday with another GS racer asking about rigid frames. He's been racing vintage dirt track with a swing arm frame. He's been looking for a rigid frame for years and has run into the same situ as we did. Many are sitting around but the owners won't sell. aarrgh.

But Do Not despair..

You've mentioned a concern registering a bike in Sweden "without a paper trail", of ownership... I suppose you are aware that many/most/all(?) dirt trackers in the US were never registered and won't have a "title" of ownership for use on the road? Some 'creative' paperwork will be required in most cases. This is 'doable' in the US, but may be more difficult for you. I dunno.

"If it were easy, everyone would be doing it".

#202568 - 05/23/05 6:24 pm Re: BSA B34 Dirt Track Bike questions 4U!!!  
Ride safe today!

Ride safe today!

Gothenburg, Sweden
Dave,
thanks for your efforts I'll look forward to that contact of yours. clap

Here in Sweden we need to have an old fram to be able to register as an oldie, with a new frame new comes modern rules mad

I could hammer in BB32R xxxx in an new made frame and register but it's not my intention.

Thanks

BSAing you
Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
#202569 - 05/23/05 6:51 pm Re: BSA B34 Dirt Track Bike questions 4U!!!  
Sonic Twin Offline
BritBike Forum
Sonic Twin  Offline
BritBike Forum

Indianapolis, IN
Morgan,

I'm afraid my frame would not be of any help to you in that regard, as the numbers have been filed off in the past. I have been told that this was not an uncommon practice so as to skirt the AMA rule that required one to race the same bike as was qualified. If two bikes existed, having the same numbers, a rider could race the main with a fresh machine. This may present you a problem with any genuine frame you find as there could exist another bike of the same number. Although, as stated above, most were not registered from new and so there is no paper trail. Also, my frame, and any old flat track frame, has been used hard. It will require some work to bring it back to like new condition, and even then, the axle tabs are not of BSA construction.

I would encourage you to look at K&S as they seem to do very nice work and could even custom build a frame for your project that would better suit your needs as a street bike (higher rightside peg, brake attachment, et al.). He also makes oil and fuel tanks.

There may also be some legal loophole allowing you to "replace" a period frame provided you have a Goldie engine and a title that matches the engine.

#202570 - 05/23/05 10:05 pm Re: BSA B34 Dirt Track Bike questions 4U!!!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Morgan ... Some more on the frame ID numbers and registration issues here in the US ...

Until some years ago the engine ID number Only was shown/used on all(?) of the MSO, "Manufatures Statement Of Origin", of the Brit Bikes imported into the US. The frame number, which was always different was not listed or mentioned.
The MSO document issued by the manufacturer which the selling dealer submits to the US state vehicle registration department, DMV, to initiate the issue of a title of ownership and to register the vehicle, thus beginning the "paper trail", on the vehicle.
When a vehicle is sold the seller 'signs off ownership' on the title and the buyer than submits the title for application for registeration in his name.

Some US DMVs have a bit different procedure, but what I've described is the most common procedure I believe.

After a period of time if a vehicles registration is not anually renewed, unless the vehicle was reported stolen, the state DMV purges the vehicle data from it's records. They assume the vehicle has been wrecked, destroyed or whatever.
This should explain your hearing of US bikers submitting for a "lost title", here in the US to reregister an olde bike that has sat in someones shed unregistered for 30-40 years and has now been 'reborn'.

If you were able to buy a GS engine from here in the US with a matching title, you should be able to use this document to register a bike in Sweden. Perhaps this is also the case with Euro documentation years ago?

Also ... A set of number and letter metal stamps sells for ~ US$30 ...

Always remember the vehicle registration "goons", (idjits?) have a self appointed goal in life to make things difficult for you, thus displaying their pettyass authority and try to foil your registration of a vehicle!!
"Work around", this situ, understand the rules and laws and You tell them what they must do..

And Never take the word of a mere clerk on what can or cannot can be done as they are very lazy and cannot ot will not get involved with anything causing them more work or heavan forbid make a decesion.
Make sense? ... I hope it may be of some help.
dave - NV

#202571 - 05/24/05 9:57 am Re: BSA B34 Dirt Track Bike questions 4U!!!  
Britbodger R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
Britbodger R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Houston Texas
"Always remember the vehicle registration "goons", (idjits?) have a self appointed goal in life to make things difficult for you, thus displaying their pettyass authority and try to foil your registration of a vehicle!!"

You can say that again! Without boring with you with all of the details I had an extremely frustrating experience with the Houston Texas DMV trying to get a Texas title for a bike that that I had original bill of sale for (I'd owned it since new)and proof of registration in another state (Florida)etc etc. BTW Florida didn't issue a title. Not good enough for Houston DMV though! So had to take the Alabama route.

Now that I've got that off my chest, how did you do at Santa Maria?

beerchug

#202572 - 05/26/05 12:17 pm Re: BSA B34 Dirt Track Bike questions 4U!!!  
jfligg Offline
BritBike Forum member
jfligg  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Lucan ON Canada
Hi Guys, Just to throw my monkey wrench into the mix. I have a DB34 race motor, I have a engine spec sheet from the GSOC. I have givin up on a BB32R frame. Since I am going to build a road bike out of it I will trade it for a DBD GS 3XXX motor that is sopposed to be in my frame. So if anyone is interested let me know. Jeff

#202573 - 06/07/05 2:05 am Re: BSA B34 Dirt Track Bike questions 4U!!!  
Sonic Twin Offline
BritBike Forum
Sonic Twin  Offline
BritBike Forum

Indianapolis, IN
Hey Morgan check out eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...013217&rd=1

Its not exactly what you were looking for, but it pretty close and real cheap, and ready for the street.

#202574 - 06/07/05 4:42 pm Re: BSA B34 Dirt Track Bike questions 4U!!!  
Ride safe today!

Ride safe today!

Gothenburg, Sweden
Thanks for your tip Sonic Twin,

I actually bought a BB34GS engine today so I'll pass on that tip.

see here
BB34GS engine

BSAing you
Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
#202575 - 06/08/05 5:27 pm Re: BSA B34 Dirt Track Bike questions 4U!!!  
JT441 Offline
BritBike Forum member
JT441  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Cadillac, MI
Morgan,

Is this one too new for your project?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...974165&rd=1

JT441
'70 B44
'71 T120
'66 Spitfire
'85 Honda Shadow (the SO's bike)
'90 Honda Pacific Coast
'96 Honda Pacific Coast
#202576 - 06/09/05 8:24 pm Re: BSA B34 Dirt Track Bike questions 4U!!!  
Ride safe today!

Ride safe today!

Gothenburg, Sweden
Thanks JT441 for your tip, I checked and it has to many wrong parts for my project, but thanks for looking out for me. smile

BSAing you
Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
#202577 - 06/10/05 2:38 am Re: BSA B34 Dirt Track Bike questions 4U!!!  
J in KC Offline
BritBike Forum member
J in KC  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Kansas City, USA
Hey Morgan, a BB based GS street tracker might turn out to be an interesting and welcome variation, and you can always go back and put a DBD in it later. Meanwhile here are a few inspirational photos from Davenport 2003.

#202578 - 06/12/05 12:44 am Re: BSA B34 Dirt Track Bike questions 4U!!!  
GOLD S-TARvin R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
GOLD S-TARvin R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Ohio, U.S.A.
Morgan,
"There's Gold in them thar hills"(just a little westerner expression)
Little story for you. In August of 2002,rode my first ride on a Gold Star. Just happened to be a rigid frame.

Now, mind you i was already entertaining the idea of building one, but this sealed the "go for the gold" or "must find my own Gold Star project or bust" journey.
P.S.
I've alreday asked the owner to sell the one in the picture, but he is not ready. I'm sure there are more out there waiting to be found. bigt

GOLD S-TARvin
OVBSAOC # 1625
1960 DBD34 Gold Star
1956 DB34 Gold Star
1969 Bonneville
several basket case Triumphs
#202579 - 06/12/05 1:11 am Re: BSA B34 Dirt Track Bike questions 4U!!!  
Gordo in Comox Offline
BritBike Forum member
Gordo in Comox  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Comox BC Canada
Morgan; Nice looking engine! For a street machine it will be very nice. Is it running?
Gordo

Without frequent roadside repairs there is no fun in riding!
#202580 - 06/12/05 8:20 pm Re: BSA B34 Dirt Track Bike questions 4U!!!  
Ride safe today!

Ride safe today!

Gothenburg, Sweden
Thanks everyone for all tips I have gotten so far,

I'm working on one lead and hope it could be something but from the semipoor image I have many tabs, lugs etc are grounded off.

Please keep on looking! I need the lot and it's just not available here in Sweden
Thanks again all smile

Gordo, yes it should be working, a friend restored it in the 1987 and then it was sold to the guy i bought it from, he changed the engine to a DBD34 so this was available to me. Don't think the engine has runned more than 4000 miles after the restoration.

BSAing you
Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.

Moderated by  Rich B 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.274s Queries: 15 (0.006s) Memory: 1.0023 MB (Peak: 1.3605 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-21 02:43:41 UTC