BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
fil
fil
Austin TX
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
204 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,562 guests, and 558 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Regi, Doug Baril, revans, Gilly, XTINCT
9961 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 185
koan58 101
Stuart 86
NickL 69
Popular Topics(Views)
440,155 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,305
Posts632,360
Members9,961
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#201163 - 03/16/08 6:41 am Clutch grief  
Dave Beef Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dave Beef  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Great Britain
hi Chaps,

My T150 has the usual clutch dragging problems and I have stripped the whole thing down for inspection. Nothing appears wildly out of order however the friction plate is, i believe, a bit thin at approx 3/16". The plate has borg & beck on the rivets and has metal flecks through the lining. Is this the original plate and which is the best option for replacement?

I have decided to opt for a lever with a bigger fulcrum and rotating the ball ramp 15 degree mod. to try and combat the dragging.

What I am struggling with however is the source of a deep groaning type sound when I engage the clutch to pull away. Can anybody advise the remedy for/ cause of this?

I have read the previous messages on this topic but am still at a loss and would appreciate any help forthcoming. I have fitted a new Venhill cable.

Many thanks from a Trident Virgin.

1958 Ariel FH650 Huntmaster
1960 Velocette Viper (Project)
1970 Stevens Built Velocette Venom/ Thruxton
1974 Triumph Trident T150V

'Enjoy your life as it ain't no dress rehearsal!'
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#201164 - 03/16/08 3:57 pm Re: Clutch grief  
PFribley Offline
BritBike Forum member
PFribley  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Central Ohio
The bearing the clutch pull rod goes thru!!!

#201165 - 03/17/08 10:57 pm Re: Clutch grief  
johnnyrvf Offline
BritBike Forum member
johnnyrvf  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Dordogne, SW France
Hi Dave OK the groaning noise on take up is'nt that unusual, my T150V used to do it but only when cold, I don't know the precise answer but you mention the clutch plate is worn so it could also be that the splines are worn and are " chattering " on take up ; as an aside Y*m*h* clutches were notorious for a horrible graunching groan on take up on several of their madels in the 80's/90's and this was inevitably down to wear on the main clutch components ( don't ask me how I know ). An immediate remedy to the clutch dragging is to adjust the big locknut of the adjuster in the chaincase to how thw factory suggested rather than the manual, the 5 thou clearance given is too generous and only a very few triples will work with this setting, the large nut should be adjusted so that it can " JUST " be turned by finger pressure , this gives considerably more lift . Also the aftermarket plates supplied by LP Williaams and Norman Hyde are thicker than the std Borg & Beck clutches and this also helps aleviate clutch drag which depending on mileage and abuse may possibly be the original unit on your bike as they were'nt renowned for doing high mileages before needing major engine work ( again don't ask me how I know ) as to the pull rod bearing again a special " one way " bearing and modified pull rod is available from most good triple parts suppliers and they can also help. It is possible to get a very light clutch pull with the std. clutch but a lot of attention is required to the cable routing.HTH Johnny

What d'ya mean it won't rev to 10?
1965 BSA A65D Lightning Rocket
1976 K*w*s*ki Z900.
1978 Triumph Bonn3ville (930 T160 Powered T140)
1988 H*nd* RC30
1990 Moto Guzzi California 3
1993 Y*m*h* TDM 850
#201166 - 03/23/08 2:08 am Re: Clutch grief  
John Healy Online content
John Healy  Online Content

Boston, Massachusetts
You might look at the rebound rubbers, if they have failed you will often get that groan. Another source is misalignment of the rear primary chain wheel and the transmission mainshaft.

The rubbers are easy to fix (use ones out of the 650 instead of the original), the misalignment problem isn't. There was a discussion about misalignment and how to measure it on this board a month or so back. Both of these can lead to failure of the flat thrust bearing inside the rear chain wheel and its hardened race.
John

#201167 - 03/24/08 11:23 am Re: Clutch grief  
Britbodger R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
Britbodger R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Houston Texas
I used to have that groan as well. Upon dissasembly found the shock absorber rubbers to be extremely bad shape. After replacing the rubbers the groan went away. So, from my experience, I agree with John that worn clutch absorber rubbers is a very likely cause of the groaning noises.

BTW, I replaced the stock clutch plate with a sintered bronze one. These were mainly intended for racing but I have found it works great on the road as well.

My 2c

#201168 - 03/28/08 1:43 pm Re: Clutch grief  
Mark Woodward Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mark Woodward  Offline
BritBike Forum member

UK
I had the same problem with clutch slip and drag - I stripped the whole lot down, fitted a new 'standard' clutch plate and could find nothing 'untoward'. I rebuilt the whole thing and was dissapointed to find that the problem still existed. I tried different clutch levers and numerous methods of adjustment but all to no avail. I then decided to try again - I obtained a sintered 'paddle-type' clutch plate (as mentioned - this is intended for racing). I also bought a 'self-centreing' pull rod from Triple Cycles. Upon inspection I found that although it seemed OK the clutch thrust bearing had very bad side play (such that probably 50% of the lever movement was 'lost' in taking up the play). I fitted a new bearing etc. and all was well. I found that with the new parts clutch adjustment doesn't seem very critical.

HTH.

Mark Woodward

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.238s Queries: 14 (0.005s) Memory: 0.8272 MB (Peak: 0.9791 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-25 00:03:29 UTC