BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Ian W
Ian W
South Africa
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
38 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 313 guests, and 444 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Dan1818, Konaflyer, Begbie, Andrew Fallo, Zack Banks
10419 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 88
Rohan 81
reverb 75
Triless 75
Popular Topics(Views)
711,216 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,310
Posts665,061
Members10,419
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grimeca 4LS #196190
05/26/05 6:42 am
05/26/05 6:42 am
Oslo Norway
P
Per B - R.I.P. Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Per B - R.I.P.  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
P

Oslo Norway
I have a 4 LS Grimeca 230mm hub with the original Grimeca linings inside on my BSA B33/Goldstar hybride, i am not overly impressed by the performance of this brakes, the brakes are ok when its warmed up,(wich is good for racing) but from cold its not much better than a good bsa 8" hub, (not very good for road use) The setup includes a Magura double pull handle, very solid brake cables. The adjustment is spot on.

Any advise for better performance from cold?

Best regards

Per

best regards

Per
Goldi Clubmans
Goldi Scrambler
Rob North R3
OIF A65
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Grimeca 4LS #196191
05/26/05 10:28 am
05/26/05 10:28 am
Altoona, Florida
Mike Carter R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
Mike Carter R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Altoona, Florida
I would have modern linings put on the existing shoes... I will trade you my TLS for your 4LS straight up laugh

Cheers man,

Mike Carter

Re: Grimeca 4LS #196192
05/26/05 8:18 pm
05/26/05 8:18 pm
Indianapolis, IN
S
Sonic Twin Offline
BritBike Forum
Sonic Twin  Offline
BritBike Forum
S

Indianapolis, IN
You may very well have full race linings, like the Ferodo "green" linings, AM4 I believe. These are totally useless when cold, but work great when hot. If this is the case, you will need to replace the linings. Vintage Brake in California USA does very nice work, not cheap, but right.

If, however, the linings / shoes are not contacting the drum with good surface area contact, that is not the lining material.

Re: Grimeca 4LS #196193
06/01/05 7:27 am
06/01/05 7:27 am
Oslo Norway
P
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
P

Oslo Norway
Thanks folks,
The Grimeca brake is brand new, so far done about 2000 km, I belive this should be enough for the lining to bed in correctely, I will have a look at this tonight.
I am also suspecting that the linings are some sort of racing stuff, and hopefully a new set of linings will solve this small problem, but new linings will have to wait untill winter as the driving season here in Norway are short as it is.
As an intermediate aktion I will try to increase the leverage as Panic are describing.

Per

best regards

Per
Goldi Clubmans
Goldi Scrambler
Rob North R3
OIF A65
Re: Grimeca 4LS #196194
06/02/05 2:13 am
06/02/05 2:13 am
California
Ron - in California R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
Ron - in California R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

California
Ah er.. that brake should work great, hot or cold... I have one on my Goldie... it will out stop darn near anything..! When my brake was new, it took some wear in to get the shoes arced to the drum (guess the factory does not do it). Once it broke in, it was almost too good..! I went and lightly chamferred the leading edges, as it was tooo grabby at low speeds. (it almost made me fall over more than once at 5 mph).

Also the stock return springs are way too stiff, contact Vintage brake, and he has some nice springs..!

You should NOT need to extend the leverage ratio... worst case, you need new linings.

Re: Grimeca 4LS #196195
06/02/05 10:21 am
06/02/05 10:21 am
Oslo Norway
P
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
P

Oslo Norway
Ron
Do you know if the lining in your Grimeca are the standard one as supplied by Grimeca or are they changed?

I am using a Magura doble pull lever as supplid from British spares http://www.britishspares.com/index.htm page 21 in their catalouge, may be this lever are giving me less leverage than the lever you are using?

Thanks

Per

best regards

Per
Goldi Clubmans
Goldi Scrambler
Rob North R3
OIF A65
Re: Grimeca 4LS #196196
06/11/05 4:20 pm
06/11/05 4:20 pm
California
Ron - in California R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
Ron - in California R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

California
My brake was N.O.S. that I got from a pal that bought it and never used it. I am using a Suzuki twin cable brake lever set up (has a nice brake lite switch in it) that I got from an outfit that also sells new Grimeca's and other nice bits...

http://www.ajsmotorcycles.co.uk/docs/grimeca1/Docs/grimeca.htm

Hope this helps..

Ron

Re: Grimeca 4LS #196197
06/11/05 5:31 pm
06/11/05 5:31 pm
Elko, Nevada USA
dave - NV Offline

BritBike Forum member
dave - NV  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Elko, Nevada USA
It was a nice sunny day in Wales, not much traffic and the roads were fast and swoopy winding through the huge bright green hills of this near idylic countryside. Nice. We're headed down into Wales for a visit at SRM.
Yuppers our little Goldies were having some fun in The Swoopies! The three of us are cranking along in the 75 - 90 per zone. Ain't no stinkin speed cameras out there. Ron on his hot rod GS in the lead, Steve next and I'm pulling up the rear.

We round a curve in the trees and yikers, our narrow lane carved out of the hillside is baricaded closed and traffic coming in the opposite lane!
No warning signs, flagmen or nothing ... Ron's Grimeca whoas him up nicely, Steve's got his rear wheel locked and he's sliding due to his crappy front brake and he ends up stopped alongside Ron.
Holy Cats ... "Vintage Brake built 190 mm don't fail me now"!, as I slip between the two of them, with a couple of feet short of "will it fly?", to spare. ooohhh ...

Yup we still talk about it over beers every once in awhile... Coulda, woulda, been a bad one.
Fix those crappy brakes, you may only "need", them once you know ... And the often heard, "I don't ride fast", is a very poor and perhaps deadly excuse you know.

Have I told you about staying at the Black Lion pub that night, the friendly people, the good food and beer and the ... ah geeze, fun stuff that ya just gotta live at least once. Do it.
dave - NV
envious of pal Ron doing it again this summer. Lucky him.

Dave - NV
Re: Grimeca 4LS #196198
06/26/05 7:19 am
06/26/05 7:19 am
Christchurch New Zealand
L
Lew Graham Offline
BritBike Forum member
Lew Graham  Offline
BritBike Forum member
L

Christchurch New Zealand
A while ago I had some BSA front brakes ground true. As the machinist had to take out a section of the bed of the lathe so he could fit the whole wheel in, I gave him a couple of 4LS brakes to do as well. One was a brand new (purchased 1986) 230mm Grimeca, spoked into Borrani alloy rim, but it had not yet been on the road.
He reported that one side was perfectly true, but the other side was 8 thou high in one spot. I don't imagine that spoking the drum into a rim could easily produce a single high spot, so maybe it came from the factory like that. It sure wouldn't have helped with the braking!

Lew G.

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership