Upgrade your membership-
one year or for life*

BritBike Forum

Sponsors campaign ads..
BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor
Shout Box

BritBike.com Decals & Stickers (Free shipping)
BritBike.com decals & stickers
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Who's Online
76 registered (John Healy, Hillbilly bike, Elijah, BSA_WM20, Snakeoil, Rattleballs, Swan, johnhannah, rocketscientist, shel, MikeG, M Shearer, KennethC., Pete R, Richrd, YetAnotherDave, John Goodwin, Randy Pigford, T140V-Rich, Transgarp, Greenspringfarm, Jon W. Whitley, MrYeats, geordie, Dick Harris, htown, Chris B, OldBalz, StevieP, desco, Blown Income, beezageezauk, Max, DPO, Mike P, Dave T, TT Rider, ricochetrider, Adrian1, fen tiger, bill50cal, Blapper, Tasman, Peter R, Gordon Gray, DavidP, JDH, HawaiianTiger, NickL, roadrocket, fried okra, kurt fischer, Tiger Dale, scott67TT, LarryLebel, Ob1quixote, MarcB, wildbill, James Allcock, Kerry W, KADUTZ, Morgan, mblab, TripleTown, lemans, Triless, Redmoggy, Don Leaming, JBMorris, Allan Gill, downhere, Rich B, Boomer, C.B.S, Old Cafe Racer, DBDBrian), 377 Guests and 74 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bergi, TrumpNYC, Chris B, albertorondm, Graham NZ
7853 Registered Users
Forum Stats
7853 Members
33 Forums
52179 Topics
483962 Posts

Max Online: 1804 @ 03/01/11 6:54 pm
Top Posters
RF Whatley 10017
John Healy 8504
Lannis 8216
Alex 7337
ricochetrider 7169
JubeePrince 6043
Stuart 5897
kommando 5520
Jon W. Whitley 4743
Kent Shaun 4657
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#188007 - 07/13/08 5:51 pm The Rabbit Rally .... Time that Shaun bloke ....
Graham Ham Offline
Private sponsor

Loc: South East England
.... Discovered what a *real* rally is all about ?

I told him, I'm gonna take you to a bash where they *understand* that when you down tools from the day-job and set out for a weekend's worth of fun, that's eggs-accly what you expect to get.

There'll be none of this health&safety ****e, no 'black bag' fer rubbish, no camper vans, no trailered bikes.

There'll be decent beer, the raffle is fast, the announcements and waffle kept to a minimum, there's wild live music both nights, lively people, *No* Horlicks at 10:00 pm.... and if yer in bed before about 2:00 am then boy, you just don't get it ...

And so, here's me yarn.

As usual, the weather forecast was shyte, but in the event it was marvleus ... we met up near Ye Anciente Citie of Canterbury, and took off into them Kentish Lanes ...

Of course, it's not long before an Ale house presents itself, and, well, it would be rude not to ...

Hobgoblin on the pump, too, ... wonderful. Then it's off into them Romney Marshes heading towards the equally ancient town of Rye ...

Out of Kent we go ...

And early evening finds us at The Robin Hood Pub, home of the Rother branch of the TOMCC ..

http://www.panther-publishing.co.uk/default.asp?contentID=18

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Upgrade your BritBike Forum membership for one year or for Life*
#188008 - 07/13/08 6:08 pm Re: The Rabbit Rally .... Time that Shaun bloke ....
Graham Ham Offline
Private sponsor

Seasoned rally-goers that we are, it don't take long to set up camp and enjoy the English sunshine ..

Now then, the Friday evening is a toned down affair. The band is good though, but the bar shuts at about midnight, and there's still quite a few folk won't be arriving until the morning. We manage to string things out until about 2:00 am, and then it's no time aT ALL until BREAKFAST !

We had an unexpected bonus .... half way through breakfast, Shaun's chair finally decided that it simply couldn't put up with ANY more of that big @rse .... and promptly COLLAPSED !

Laugh ? Bloody hell, I nearly blew me sausage back out me nose !

Still, never one to miss a chance to twist reality - Shaun simply announced that he now possesed a 'Chaise Longe"

Whilst all this was going on, the younger generation amongst us got right down to some serious fun ...

#188009 - 07/13/08 6:14 pm Re: The Rabbit Rally .... Time that Shaun bloke ....
Graham Ham Offline
Private sponsor

And then Shaun decided to sample a proper bike. Of course, he tried to down-play the experience of a real Triumph with typical vigour, but we all know he loved Daisy to bits really ....

Here's some rally scenes as we wiled away the afternoon after our ride-out (I left me camera at base - there'll be coverage though, I'm sure?)

#188010 - 07/13/08 6:25 pm Re: The Rabbit Rally .... Time that Shaun bloke ....
Graham Ham Offline
Private sponsor

And so the evening draws in. And THAT means it's time to get a proper camp dinner going !

Table for ten Sir ? Certainly ...

Then it was Beer, Bollix, Music, Mates, more music, more beer, ...... until finally ....

Ans so to bed. And back home via them lanes once more ....

Shaun left us at Appledore, Mr Ed left us at Canterbury, and it was just me and Grandad who took the tiny back roads through the Barham woods ....

What a BRILLIANT weekend, and although all good things must end, they merely leave us hungry for *next* year.

Bring it on !

#188011 - 07/13/08 6:27 pm Re: The Rabbit Rally .... Time that Shaun bloke ....
Lannis Offline
Life member

Loc: RIP Russell Johnson
Well now those are lovely pictures and certainly an indicator that a good time was had by all.

What a great picture of the young couple on the M21, how often do you see something like THAT, something beside an old gray, bald, wrinkly, fat geezer on an old Britbike.

And speaking of that, what's with you English and pulling your shirts off every time the sun comes out, regardless of what's under it? (under the shirt, not the sun. I've seen everything under the sun, NOW).

I mean those are lovely looking full English breakfasts, but if it comes with three acres of full English Britbiker skin behind it, it puts me RIGHT OFF!

Fay and I were walking about Kent in 2005, and the path went through a nice looking little village (Selling, I think 'twas) and we were saying Hello to everyone out working in their garden, and NONE of them had shirts on. The only one that was doing it right was the young lady in a minimalist bikini top, and I didn't get much of a look because I could feel the nitride-coated, plasma-hot glare from Fay boring into the side of me skull, interfering with my optic nerves ....

Lannis

"Plan? There ain't no plan!"

#188012 - 07/13/08 6:35 pm Re: The Rabbit Rally .... Time that Shaun bloke ....
Steve in Tulsa Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
Shaun, is that YOU on a proper motorcycle??
Well done lad. we'll turn you yet! bigt

#188013 - 07/13/08 7:03 pm Re: The Rabbit Rally .... Time that Shaun bloke ....
Kev. Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Royal Berkshire.
The funny thing is, as I went through the gate at Woodcote, I was impersonating Kent Shaun, and the lady on the gate asked if I had lost some weight! laugh

http://backstreetthunder.wordpress.com/

"Two wrongs don't make a right! But three left's do".

#188014 - 07/13/08 8:17 pm Re: The Rabbit Rally .... Time that Shaun bloke ....
Kent Shaun Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Kent Garden of England
OK I've let him have first go at the Yarn Spinning, now the TRUE tale can begin...

Got to the meeting point and waited...And waited... Then FINALLY I heard a lot of rattling, after the dust settled it appeared.

Now the GREAT thing about Grandad is he's married to Nanny, and she knows how to look after us ALL. BRILLIANT Sausage rolls to start the weekend of properly...

Bellies full we mooched off into them lanes, stopping every 10mins for G to suck on a Fag!

The Lovely Janette enjoying the evening Sun shine, funny when you consider the weather forecast foretold storms and disaster...

After G had enjoyed yet another Fag, we hit them lanes, and eventually got to our first Ale house, with fantastic views across the Marshes...

Sorry to say G had to suck on yet another Fag!

We carried on further as the Sun started to set, and then we had to stop...

#188015 - 07/13/08 8:28 pm Re: The Rabbit Rally .... Time that Shaun bloke ....
Kent Shaun Offline
BritBike Forum member

There was a Land Rover blocking the road, and the Kent Air Ambulance was hovering over head, seems some Numbtie had decided to see if he's car could go 'off road' trouble was he never slowed down! This is what we could see, as the helicopter landed to take the injured away...

So it was decided to go another way, thus avoiding the very long wait, eventually we pulled into the rally site, not many people there I thought? But was told more will show up later?

Up with the canvas hotel, then off to Rye for Fish & Chips, sat looking at the boats in the creak there, marvellous too it was...

By the time we got back it was lamp lighting time, and I'm pleased to report that G has finally taken some advice, he's got himself a fine lamp, now look hard at the photo please, they'll be questions about it later...

Course Mr Ed had to pray to the God of night, but then we try not to speak about him, he tends to wear Gay pants!

Next morning we were woken to the smell of the Full English being cooked, and this time Grandad was the Chef de Breakfast...

Even G's brother got roped in, BLIMEY G seems to get everyone to either buy his beer or cook his food.

Then G came out with a tin of Baked Beans, now that's all very fine and dandy, trouble was he purchased them in a Scandinavian country about 7yrs back, they tasted as bad as the tin looked...

#188016 - 07/13/08 8:32 pm Re: The Rabbit Rally .... Time that Shaun bloke ....
Dick Harris Online   content
BritBike Forum member

Loc: East Bethany New York
Great story in pictures!!!! Really enjoyed them,especially seeing Shaun grounded!! bigt Dick

#188017 - 07/13/08 8:40 pm Re: The Rabbit Rally .... Time that Shaun bloke ....
Kent Shaun Offline
BritBike Forum member

All G could manage was to serve up his scrambled eggs, then HE claims that HE cooked Breakfast!

Once it was all devoured and cleaned up, t'was time to hit them lanes for a Bimble, awawy we all went and somewhere half way along a lane we came across a barrier...

A train station it was, and not just any old British Rail thing either, but a proper Steam Train station, I know this cos this thing rolled across the road...

Back into the lanes, and WHAT lanes they were!

Now remember that photo above? Well can you see what is missing???

Yes that's it them two Ally bottles, BOTH had fallen off the panniers, and both had nearly killed Grandad! Bouncing about 10 foot into the air, and missing the pour old sod's head by about 10 thou! Now these weren't the only things to fall of that bloody Triumph, a vintage heater is now missing it's fuel container, and a China cup is now no more! What else will fall off that heap I ask?

We all had to look for the bits and found them, even then G still never got the beer in...

Talking of beer, it was getting near lunch time, so a tavern was called for, and what did they have in the window? Only this that's all...

And this...

In fact he had ALL the bits of a 1919 Indian Power Plus, and it was for sale, hope y'all sitting down? HE wanted £6000 (about $12000) BLIMEY! what are they made from Gold or something then?

#188018 - 07/13/08 8:47 pm Re: The Rabbit Rally .... Time that Shaun bloke ....
Kent Shaun Offline
BritBike Forum member

That pub was situated in some brilliant scenery, don't think this photo does it justice?

And anyway there was Ale to be quaffed...

Got back to the camp site and started to prepare for our feast, a right good proper camp meal, once again G was no where to be seen as the work load increased, so Mr Ed came to the rescue...

And after the meal everyone was bloated, you did a good job there Mr Ed lad, think we'll keep him on board.

Now Grandad being old, he gets...Well how can I put this?...He gets a bit... Well LEAKY, poor old sod let this on the seat...

But we'll say no more about it.

G in the meantime wanted to ride a MAN'S bike for once, so I let him, course he couldn't handle it being but a boy...

#188019 - 07/13/08 8:52 pm Re: The Rabbit Rally .... Time that Shaun bloke ....
Kent Shaun Offline
BritBike Forum member

Time for a mooch around the bikes...

A 2001 90,000 mile Bonneville and sounding sweet, looking like the sort of machine I'd own...

Not just Triumphs I'm glad to say...

The bike Janette wanted for herself IF she could ride that is...

Best bike went to this, and a fine machine too, ridden to the Rally and NEVER on a trailer...

#188020 - 07/13/08 9:00 pm Re: The Rabbit Rally .... Time that Shaun bloke ....
Kent Shaun Offline
BritBike Forum member

Then the Lovely Janette saw this, and asked me "why don't you get one of those?" Shall I????

Time for the pub methinks, and what a pub...

Out of the pub and into the beer tent where the Heavy Rock band were playing, AC/DC, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin all the old stuff, as long as it was loud and had guitar solos it was played. And BRILLIANT it was too, at midnight the fire was lit and so the end of a fantastic rally. THANK you G & the Triumph lot for making us welcome, shame about the rattling bikes you lot seem to like, I'll have to come back next year to show you a proper bike...

And finally this morning on the way home, G found something to play with on Grandad's very fine M21...

And I found something to play with in my fettling shed, so I might not be on this much this week, if you wonder why? Simply look at this photo, why it's almost better than sex wink bigt

YES the A10's engine is here! And it'll be in the frame by this time tomorrow, as HE is my witness I swear it'll be on the road soon....

#188021 - 07/13/08 11:05 pm Re: The Rabbit Rally .... Time that Shaun bloke ....
ricochetrider Online   content
Private sponsor

Loc: Pennsyltuckey
and a fine time was had by all, by cracky!

shaun, thanks for FINALLY mentioning the BAND...G had me all worked up about it, i was wondering if it'd bear a word or two...seems rock and roll might sometimes be lacking in your travels?

i was looking at the ally [fuel?] cylinders so close to the lantern(?) on G's bike...or do they hold the emergency supply of ale? when you said there'd be questions about them later, i thought the worst for a hot second. then again, one baptism by fire is enough for anyone in one lifetime!

lannis,
i can just imagine the weather over there is not as warm and sunny as in the good old southern U S of A, where you live. when the sun DOES eventually show itself, one must RUSH to get the fleeting and limited dose of vitimin D, i suppose!

excellent pix and stories...
keep up the good work, kids...

tom

"Ignorance breeds Fear.
Fear breeds Hatred.
Hatred breeds Ignorance.
Break the chain."

It's not what you look like
When you're doin what you're doin
It's what you're doin when you're doin
What you look like you're doin
Express yourself.

http://ricochetrider.tumblr.com/

#188022 - 07/13/08 11:37 pm Re: The Rabbit Rally .... Time that Shaun bloke ....
Lannis Offline
Life member

Loc: RIP Russell Johnson
Shaun -

Good pictures, puts our lack of pictures sometimes to shame, so it does.

That Meriden Triumph with the flat unpadded solo seat, it was owned by the "King of Pain" I assume?

You know you don't want that car-on-two-wheels Rocket thing, they stole a BSA name and it doesn't work, your A10 is a better bike any day. I admire your energy, first the engine into the Rust bucket, now the engine into yours, I do believe you will have it on the road for the International.

And that PJ must be a real horse, you lot have been riding him pretty hard lately rebuilding every A10 motor on the island, take it easy on the lad, I haven't had a chance to buy him a round yet .... !

Lannis

"Plan? There ain't no plan!"

#188023 - 07/14/08 2:20 am Re: The Rabbit Rally .... Time that Shaun bloke ....
Steve in Tulsa Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
G and Shaun
Another brilliant yarn and tale bigt
I aspire to that level. Great pics.

#188024 - 07/14/08 9:15 am Re: The Rabbit Rally .... Time that Shaun bloke ....
Kent Shaun Offline
BritBike Forum member

Thanks to the wonderful French I'm off today bigt So the A10 engine WILL be in that frame soon...

ricochetrider, your spot on eek We don't get the Sun here very often, so when it comes out we have to strip off to build up the vitamin D thing, wait till the IoM and the swimming togs come out eek

Lannis, OldPJ is in fact OLD, and we've got to wear the old out first, t'is only right and proper lad, so I'll try my best to wear the A10 engine out again, so he can keep rebuilding it laugh He likes nothing more than cleaning up all my mess, then having a 'go' at me for doing something wrong :rolleyes:

Never mind he's a bloody good lad and that's what it's all about, I'm taking the Rust Heap to the camp this very weekend, I'll try me best to blow that bugger up. A friend brought me a steel coffin round t'other day, and it's just perfect for the Rust Heap, it'll fit in that right after the IoM rally, jobs a good un bigt

#188025 - 07/14/08 1:40 pm Re: The Rabbit Rally .... Time that Shaun bloke ....
Grandad Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: The Crypt - South East England
The Rabbit Rally - Grandadís tale

Thereís not much I can add to the story so far except to ask you to take a long look at this picture and notice the lovely Janette. I say this because when we arrived at the site and had erected our tents she vanished inside Chez Shaun and only ventured out on very rare occasions. She said it was the only chance to have any peace and quiet and she was reading a good book which she was dying to finish! Anyway, the lads found it very amusing when her disembodied voice periodically floated out of the tent and ordered Shaun to fetch her this or fetch her that and they renamed her ĎHer in the Tentí or when she emerged to take a ride in her hubbyís chair she became ĎHer in the Boxí

One of the great joys of the Rabbit Rally is itís laid-back attitude. This is reflected in the way the younger members of the Kentite group were able to get on the bikes and ride them around the field. Even young Melissa (Lissie) was riding the 600cc M21with Graham as pillion (in case she lost her bottle!). Thatís exactly how it should be!
Hereís Lissie winging her way across the field on the M21 under Grahamís eagle eye:

Young Chris and Lissie just pausing for a breather after a long bout around the field.

And now Grandadís other grandson Alex has his turn.

It may have been missed, but one of the Kentite crowd was actually riding a HARLEY. This was Grahamís brother Howie who rode up from deepest Wiltshire (Thereís still cannibals living out there so we hear). We call him our rain god because everywhere he goes it pours with rain on him and he gets soaked. True to form he arrived at the camp late in the evening, soaked to the skin and frozen with cold because it had rained and sleeted on him ALL the way up from the West Country. The first thing he did when he arrived was to empty the water out of his riding boots! The picture below shows Howie with Graham (clowning as usual!).

If any of the Rother Valley TMOC members are reading this I would like to add my thanks for a super weekend - well done guys!

Don't nail that lid down - I'm still bloomin' breathing !!
Click here to see SPIDER cartoons!

#188026 - 07/14/08 2:55 pm Re: The Rabbit Rally .... Time that Shaun bloke ....
M Shearer Online   content
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Perth. Wild West Downunder.
Great story chaps.
Not so sure about sucking on a fag though! laughing
'74 Roadster Commando.
'85 VF1000R.

http://bmecwa.com/

#188027 - 07/14/08 10:59 pm Re: The Rabbit Rally .... Time that Shaun bloke ....
wadeschields Offline
Private sponsor

Loc: NYC and York PA
Oh boy! what great photos! You lot sure can eat. Id better start practicing .... We have to start having more camp outs here. We talk about it enough - we just dont get round to doing it.

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

#188028 - 07/15/08 2:37 pm Re: The Rabbit Rally .... Time that Shaun bloke ....
George Elston Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: upstate ny
Great photos gents
I do have to comment on one thing though .
Now Shaun may be a fine bloke but he is obviously no gentleman . View if you will pictures 14 and 15 of Graham's account and see Shaun trashing his chair . Now cast your eyes on photo 23 and you will see that not only did Shaun break his chair but like a true gentleman he stole the loverly Janette's and had her sit on the ground . Shame shame .
George
59 Constellation
61 500 Sport twin
61 Hornet
9? Bullet
2001 W650
1966 W1

#188029 - 07/15/08 7:28 pm Re: The Rabbit Rally .... Time that Shaun bloke ....
Kent Shaun Offline
BritBike Forum member

George old boy, Remember I'm BORN to be a Hillbilly lad, wimming have two functions in life, one of which is in the kitchen bigt laugh

#188030 - 07/15/08 9:14 pm Re: The Rabbit Rally .... Time that Shaun bloke ....
old PJ Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Royal Berkshire
Lannis your right them kettish boys do try to work me like a horse but it aint working at all my old A10 needs a check up soon lad and its next on the list Kevs bike is going nice as well and me C11 is doing well so all the Bikes are doing ok at the moment , Wiltshire camping weekend is this weekend and its a great pub to be at for the weekend.

#188031 - 07/15/08 9:50 pm Re: The Rabbit Rally .... Time that Shaun bloke ....
Kev. Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Royal Berkshire.
I have been out trying to do a bodge/temp fix on the tank, so I can ride the A10 to Wiltshire, I will know tomorrow if I was successful :rolleyes:

http://backstreetthunder.wordpress.com/

"Two wrongs don't make a right! But three left's do".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Untitled Document

Home, Sponsors
Newsletter, Regalia
Calendar, Bike Project
BritBike Museum
Spiders Cartoons

"OLD" BritBike Forum

DVD- Manuals & Parts books
BritBike Stickers & Decals

Upgrade your membership-