BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Ola
Ola
Norway
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
30 registered members (Bob Buchanan), 239 guests, and 398 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bob Board, Onder Zee, WardDuffield, Biscuits, DT 150
10294 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 97
Lannis 68
Mori55 67
Popular Topics(Views)
640,014 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,418
Posts654,633
Members10,294
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: "Triumph's Biggest Event of the Year" ??? Better wording, please. #187772
08/05/08 5:00 am
08/05/08 5:00 am
in my house
K
KADUTZ Offline
BritBike Forum member
KADUTZ  Offline
BritBike Forum member
K
in my house
Just got bac home last nite at about 1030pm from
Mid Ohio Via Buffalo NY (vacation)bac to Chicago area. It my understanding from talking to a friend of mine (who was a vendor) there was a notice in the vendor pack TRIUMPH was going to not be nice to ANYONE THERE that had the old logo on stuff for sale whatever it may be. I picked up a new catalog from a retail supplier (I believe British Cycle Supply) that had the old TRIUMPH logo pasted over with the word Triumph. It is my feeling the only reason the Bloor crew is doing the 50th Edition Bonnie is to make MONEY period.
By the way can any one tell me why the "Golden "Jublie" was SILVER?
2c

1970 T120RT
1978 T140V
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: "Triumph's Biggest Event of the Year" ??? Better wording, please. #187773
08/05/08 10:39 am
08/05/08 10:39 am
Stone Creek OH USA
R
Rich B Offline

BritBike Forum member
Rich B  Offline

BritBike Forum member
R
Stone Creek OH USA
KADUTZ sez:

"It is my feeling the only reason the Bloor crew is doing the 50th Edition Bonnie is to make MONEY period."

Gee, why else would they be in business? :rolleyes: Profit for a manufacturing company is NOT a dirty word. eek No profits, no new Triumph's, it is Business 101.

Life is too short to drink cheap, bad beer.
Re: "Triumph's Biggest Event of the Year" ??? Better wording, please. #187774
08/05/08 11:08 am
08/05/08 11:08 am
Co Durham, England
Woolly Offline
BritBike Forum
Woolly  Offline
BritBike Forum
Co Durham, England
Quote:
Originally posted by KADUTZ:

By the way can any one tell me why the "Golden "Jublie" was SILVER?
2c
Presumably to copy off the 1977 'Queens Silver Jubilee' T140.

* BMW K1200 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
* Mercedes Benz SLK 350 (R171)
* Ducati ST2
* Vauxhall Vectra 2.2 SXi
* 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750
My Videos
Re: "Triumph's Biggest Event of the Year" ??? Better wording, please. #187775
08/05/08 11:57 am
08/05/08 11:57 am
in my house
K
KADUTZ Offline
BritBike Forum member
KADUTZ  Offline
BritBike Forum member
K
in my house
rich b

When the Hinckley crew came back into the states.
I was one of the people on the front lines welcoming them back and ready to purchase the new product. They are the ones who distanced themsleves from the old riders AND dealers. I was told by some one in the company "we are not the same TRIUMPH". It was also made very clear THEY wanted nothing to do with the previous customer base.
Profit is not a bad word you are correct. I just have a problem doing business with a company that has told me they do not want my business and are building a product based on a history the do not want to be associated with.
After your Business 101 class suggest you take a Customer Service 101 and Ethics 101 class.
By the way I rode a Hinckley T100 and found it to be a bit top heavy.
2c

1970 T120RT
1978 T140V
Re: "Triumph's Biggest Event of the Year" ??? Better wording, please. #187776
08/05/08 12:01 pm
08/05/08 12:01 pm
in my house
K
KADUTZ Offline
BritBike Forum member
KADUTZ  Offline
BritBike Forum member
K
in my house
wolly
glad to "see" on the this side of the force.
guess my question should have been why silver and not gold?
K

1970 T120RT
1978 T140V
Re: "Triumph's Biggest Event of the Year" ??? Better wording, please. #187777
08/05/08 1:35 pm
08/05/08 1:35 pm
Dallas Texas
RPM Offline
BritBike Forum member
RPM  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dallas Texas
Triumph paid good money to be at Mid Ohio. They put on a good show and made the event better for everyone. Mr Bloor put up his money not investor money when he took over. It took over 15 years to turn a profit. Let,s see some of you put up your money for something like that.
Triumph has never told any old Triumph dealer or new vintage shop not to sell t shirts and stuff with the logo on them.
I have met and talked to Mr Bloor and can tell you he is a quiet,smart man that did something with his dream. Have you?

Re: "Triumph's Biggest Event of the Year" ??? Better wording, please. #187778
08/05/08 1:52 pm
08/05/08 1:52 pm
Kent
KarlB Offline
BritBike Forum member
KarlB  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Kent
Is this the point where a hobby becomes a religion to some folk...
just wondering... :rolleyes:

Now I've got a mental picture of the Life of Brian in my head, you know the bit were they are arguing about which front they are, I'd post the Youtube bit here but it's got lots of swearing in it, honest... laughing

KarlB
Big day has come and gone and still no idea what Project 50 will be!
Re: "Triumph's Biggest Event of the Year" ??? Better wording, please. #187779
08/05/08 8:07 pm
08/05/08 8:07 pm
Randolph, Ohio
H
Hud Offline
BritBike Forum member
Hud  Offline
BritBike Forum member
H
Randolph, Ohio
Kadutz wrote
Quote:
It my understanding from talking to a friend of mine (who was a vendor) there was a notice in the vendor pack TRIUMPH was going to not be nice to ANYONE THERE that had the old logo on stuff for sale whatever it may be.
I wore my old shirt to Mid-O and the Triumph people were very friendly.They even asked how I liked their new bikes.Which is an invitation to criticise, and were still nice after I did. laugh Maybe because my shirt wasn't for sale wink
laugh
There was a shirt vender in the swap meet area selling old logo shirts for 5 bucks a piece,but I dont think he cared if anyone was nice to him or not beerchug

Joe

Re: "Triumph's Biggest Event of the Year" ??? Better wording, please. #187780
08/07/08 6:59 am
08/07/08 6:59 am
Kent
KarlB Offline
BritBike Forum member
KarlB  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Kent
Just noticed elsewhere that Triumph are set to make/sell more bikes next year than the old factory did at it highest sales point...

KarlB
Re: "Triumph's Biggest Event of the Year" ??? Better wording, please. #187781
08/07/08 10:48 am
08/07/08 10:48 am
Melbourne Australia
Tiger Offline
BritBike Forum member
Tiger  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Melbourne Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by RPM:
Triumph paid good money to be at Mid Ohio. They put on a good show and made the event better for everyone. Mr Bloor put up his money not investor money when he took over. It took over 15 years to turn a profit. Let,s see some of you put up your money for something like that.
Triumph has never told any old Triumph dealer or new vintage shop not to sell t shirts and stuff with the logo on them.
I have met and talked to Mr Bloor and can tell you he is a quiet,smart man that did something with his dream. Have you?
Bloor did so for Bloor, I personally wish he had called it a Matchless because the company is the machine and the bikes are appliances.

For him to prohibit the sale of goods bearing the old logo at an event which has done just fine without him for many years is just pissing on us all.

The Australian distributors [who also are the only retailers in Victoria] really do charge $27.00 for an oil filter which is actually worth $6.00.

1969 TR6R
7.62 x 51 is not a maths puzzle.
Re: "Triumph's Biggest Event of the Year" ??? Better wording, please. #187782
08/07/08 12:33 pm
08/07/08 12:33 pm
Stone Creek OH USA
R
Rich B Offline

BritBike Forum member
Rich B  Offline

BritBike Forum member
R
Stone Creek OH USA
Hmmm, saw plenty of old Triumph logos on display at VMD, also saw plenty of new Triumph logos on display. I was there from Thursday to Sunday and never heard a word about Triumph playing strong arm about logos. >>UPDATE - I have been informed that notes were made and questions were asked.<< I was had not been made aware of that while at VMD...

I think Keith has made on of the better posts on this thread...Bloor did not go to Meridian to buy a motorcycle company, he went there to purchase the land for a development. Unfortunately for some people, he had the audacity to buy the company and basically salvaged part of the British motorcycle industry.

But according to some, shame on Bloor. He didn't keep building antiquated designs in an old inefficient facility that was never again going to be efficient enough to make money. No, he had the audacity to use his OWN money to build a modern facility and fund the development of modern products. And then was so misguided that he expected it to become profitable. Which it has.

If Bloor had been as enlightened as some expected him to be, we would still be seeing Speed Twin derivitaves being build at Meridian in a building with a very leaky roof. He would be funding the losses out of his own pocket and everything would be right with the world of Triumph.

Yea right. eek Bloor unfortunately expects his companies to make money. If that means a modern product in a modern facility, so be it. Profit is NOT a dirty word. If Bloor had not taken the chance with HIS money, there would be NO Britich motorcycle industry.

Maybe he would have been better off to use the BSA name and let the myopic Triumph owners whine about why he didn't use the Triumph name :p

Actually, as my resolve weakens about not buying a modern bike, I am very happy Bloor used his money to salvage the British motorcycle industry. Gives me a choice. A Triumph remains VERY near the top of my list.

Life is too short to drink cheap, bad beer.
Re: "Triumph's Biggest Event of the Year" ??? Better wording, please. #187783
08/07/08 1:49 pm
08/07/08 1:49 pm
Kent
KarlB Offline
BritBike Forum member
KarlB  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Kent
Those people whe don't like change should not look here:

http://www.sorenwinslow.com/TriumphLogos.asp

see I told you it would upset you! Things come, things go and once upon a time BSA owned Triumph bwahahahahahahaaa! laughing laughing laughing

KarlB
Re: "Triumph's Biggest Event of the Year" ??? Better wording, please. #187784
08/07/08 2:49 pm
08/07/08 2:49 pm
Laredo (South) Texas, USA
GrandPaul Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Rich, I hope you aren't incluing me in the "But according to some, shame on Bloor" comment.

My exception was in the audacious wording of thier spam mail advert for Mid-Ohio, that's all!

I love my 2000 Legend, Sally loves her '02 Bonnie, and I wish Bloor every success, as I have from day 1.

I just wish they'd think things out a little better and use more accurate & appropriate wording.

...that, and knock a couple thousand off retail!

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Re: "Triumph's Biggest Event of the Year" ??? Better wording, please. #187785
08/07/08 3:42 pm
08/07/08 3:42 pm
NC
Bucket15 Offline
BritBike Forum member
Bucket15  Offline
BritBike Forum member
NC
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich B:
Hmmm, saw plenty of old Triumph logos on display at VMD, also saw plenty of new Triumph logos on display. I was there from Thursday to Sunday and never heard a word about Triumph playing strong arm about logos. >>UPDATE - I have been informed that notes were made and questions were asked.<< I was had not been made aware of that while at VMD...

I think Keith has made on of the better posts on this thread...Bloor did not go to Meridian to buy a motorcycle company, he went there to purchase the land for a development. Unfortunately for some people, he had the audacity to buy the company and basically salvaged part of the British motorcycle industry.

But according to some, shame on Bloor. He didn't keep building antiquated designs in an old inefficient facility that was never again going to be efficient enough to make money. No, he had the audacity to use his OWN money to build a modern facility and fund the development of modern products. And then was so misguided that he expected it to become profitable. Which it has.

If Bloor had been as enlightened as some expected him to be, we would still be seeing Speed Twin derivitaves being build at Meridian in a building with a very leaky roof. He would be funding the losses out of his own pocket and everything would be right with the world of Triumph.

Yea right. eek Bloor unfortunately expects his companies to make money. If that means a modern product in a modern facility, so be it. Profit is NOT a dirty word. If Bloor had not taken the chance with HIS money, there would be NO Britich motorcycle industry.

Maybe he would have been better off to use the BSA name and let the myopic Triumph owners whine about why he didn't use the Triumph name :p

Actually, as my resolve weakens about not buying a modern bike, I am very happy Bloor used his money to salvage the British motorcycle industry. Gives me a choice. A Triumph remains VERY near the top of my list.
That's yet another beer I owe you... nice one.

Piles and piles and piles...
Re: "Triumph's Biggest Event of the Year" ??? Better wording, please. #187786
08/07/08 5:03 pm
08/07/08 5:03 pm
Pennsyltuckey
ricochetrider Offline

Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Offline

Moto Mojo
Pennsyltuckey
i'm glad triumph is alive and well today. i think it's great that they have allowed a few retro models into their line...and that they are on the cutting edge with at least one of their bikes.

i'm with everyone else who is down on them for being so snippety about the "old" triumph realm...

on one hand,it seems hypocritical to be riding the wave of profits fueled by all the history yet separate the company so completely from that history in so many ways...on the other hand, they HAVE surmounted said history to become their very own entity in today's market, having further proven themselves by immediately stepping away from the vintage or retro thing, coming out with strictly sport bikes,the cross purpose and sport-touring bikes as well.

kinda plays to both mind-sets, a reasonable and smart move that has proven itself to be effective.
and yes, it IS nice to have the brit option in today's M/C marketplace...

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Re: "Triumph's Biggest Event of the Year" ??? Better wording, please. #187787
08/07/08 5:18 pm
08/07/08 5:18 pm
upstate ny
G
George Elston Offline
BritBike Forum member
George Elston  Offline
BritBike Forum member
G
upstate ny
Just came back from my local Brit repair\ Enfield dealer shop . He confirmed the mailing with the vedors packet vis a vis no logo sales . Also told me of someone he knows in the business who was going to deal new Triumphs . When the rep came the guy was told he would no longer be able to work on old Triumphs in his shop if he took on the new ones . He politely declined .
George

57 Woodsman
64 Interceptor
58 Trailblazer
59 Constellation
64 500 Sport twin
61 Hornet

2001 W650
1966 W1
Re: "Triumph's Biggest Event of the Year" ??? Better wording, please. #187788
08/07/08 9:34 pm
08/07/08 9:34 pm
Pennsyltuckey
ricochetrider Offline

Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Offline

Moto Mojo
Pennsyltuckey
if the "new" triumph has their "new" logos copyrighted, do they then own/control ALL the the previous logos?

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Re: "Triumph's Biggest Event of the Year" ??? Better wording, please. #187789
08/07/08 10:52 pm
08/07/08 10:52 pm
GrandPaul Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Yes.

And supposedly, they intend to start persuing the offenders from the biggest on down to whatever point it is no longer cost-effective.

Re: "Triumph's Biggest Event of the Year" ??? Better wording, please. #187790
08/08/08 4:10 pm
08/08/08 4:10 pm
upstate ny
G
George Elston Offline
BritBike Forum member
George Elston  Offline
BritBike Forum member
G
upstate ny
Call me stupid but I still don't see the rationale for this . It's one thing if a company is making\advertising parts for the new ones as there would be direct competition with the factory for your $$$ and potentially reliability \liability issues . I doubt the factory will ever bother making parts for anything old so why the fuss ? As with HD . They have no interest in anything over 10 years old and none of the dealers that I ever heard of will work on the old stuff yet they claim their heritage and trundle their rolling museum around the country like it has some real connection to their modern business model .
George

57 Woodsman
64 Interceptor
58 Trailblazer
59 Constellation
64 500 Sport twin
61 Hornet

2001 W650
1966 W1
Re: "Triumph's Biggest Event of the Year" ??? Better wording, please. #187791
08/09/08 11:50 pm
08/09/08 11:50 pm
Springfield Nebraska
Richrd Offline
BritBike Forum member
Richrd  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Springfield Nebraska
According to my extremely reliable source, Triumph has never tried to tell a dealer they couldn't have old iron in the shop, showroom or building.

And when triumph stopped building the 4 cylinder bikes, they made the statement that Triumph's reputation was built on two and three cylinder machines, and that's what they will market.

So should Ford be protested because the new Mustangs are more technically advanced than the same cars from the '60's?

The Triumphs are good machines, the parts are no more expensive than Jap parts and in my area, much easier to get.

Rich (member ThreeMustGetBeers)
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando interstate
06 Suzu..Suzu.. uh appliance
couple of beesas a ducati
and the Snake Bike
and a Honda?
Re: "Triumph's Biggest Event of the Year" ??? Better wording, please. #187792
08/10/08 1:09 am
08/10/08 1:09 am
Florida
F
Florida TR6 Offline
BritBike Forum member
Florida TR6  Offline
BritBike Forum member
F
Florida
Quote:
According to my extremely reliable source, Triumph has never tried to tell a dealer they couldn't have old iron in the shop, showroom or building.
web page

Exactly. I was in Sarasota today and saw this very nice '73 Triumph for sale and it was very prominently displayed (with apparent pride) at the Triumph/Honda/BMW dealer, Haps Cycle. See the web page above. I've seen an old Triumph for sale at two other Florida Triumph dealers in the past year -- both were in the showroom, not outside with the more common used bikes.

"For every problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong." H.L.MENCKEN
'06 T100 Bonneville
'70 TR6 Bitsa, Pazon EI
Re: "Triumph's Biggest Event of the Year" ??? Better wording, please. #187793
08/10/08 3:15 am
08/10/08 3:15 am
The Northwoods... Michigan
Steve Erickson Offline
BritBike Forum member
Steve Erickson  Offline
BritBike Forum member
The Northwoods... Michigan
Spent a day a few weeks ago visiting the vintage bike shops in San Diego...was happy to see Rocket Motors still has a portion of their original brick warehouse showroom devoted to vintage Triumph bikes. Probably a dozen on the floor for sale, as well as lots of parts on display (and mucho more in the loft and shop). The backbone of their new bike sales is Bloors, but going into the shop in back, looked like at least half their work was on Meridan Triumphs. Though the amount of floor space devoted to vintage has shrunk since last time I was there, years ago, its obvious that nobody is telling them not to peddle and promote vintage.

Re: "Triumph's Biggest Event of the Year" ??? Better wording, please. #187794
08/13/08 9:15 pm
08/13/08 9:15 pm
middletown, nj
D
david carmicheal Offline
BritBike Forum member
david carmicheal  Offline
BritBike Forum member
D
middletown, nj
Hello Gentlemen,
I am rather surprised with the feelings of being slighted by Hinckley Triumph, either at the shop or at a meet. I do not believe that Hinckley Triumph is trying to distance itself from Meriden Triumph because they do not have to - the two are distant. Hinckely is a separate entity from the old company and the machines, aside from style similarities, are entirely different. I'd be surprised if the company did make efforts to sidle up to the older machines - it'd be silly.
I owned and rode two Meridens, a 650 and 750, for over twenty years and loved them. I like my new Triumph better, however.
And there are shops for the old and the new, you simply must choose the right one. To expect a new Triumph dealer shop to work on a '68 Bonneville is like expecting a Ford dealer to work on a Model T.
I know a lot of guys with the new Triumphs, and they have as much reverence for the older ones as I, even if they've never owned or ridden one.
Not many companies rise from the ashes and pick up where they left off - Indians, VW's, Enfields, old names on new machines.

David - 2007 Triumph Bonneville
Re: "Triumph's Biggest Event of the Year" ??? Better wording, please. #187795
08/13/08 11:02 pm
08/13/08 11:02 pm
GrandPaul Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
I finally figured it out.

Since Triumph was pretty much absent from Daytona, Mid-Ohio was likely the biggest MONEY MAKING event of the year for them.

So, actually, all they left out of the hype was two words.

Mid-Ohio certainly was NOT thier biggest event of the year.

Re: "Triumph's Biggest Event of the Year" ??? Better wording, please. #187796
08/13/08 11:07 pm
08/13/08 11:07 pm
Middle Tennessee
F
flgoff Offline
BritBike Forum member
flgoff  Offline
BritBike Forum member
F
Middle Tennessee
According to my extremely reliable sources, this horse had been dead for quite some time now.

Floyd (Member: ThreeMustGetBeers)

There are no demons inside my helmet; only the magic of the Universe gliding past my every sense.
1951 BSA C11(Leaky Lena)
2010 BMW G650 GS(Scarlett)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership