BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
MusketVtwin
MusketVtwin
columbus ohio
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
209 registered members (Adam M.), 1,831 guests, and 544 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 188
koan58 100
Stuart 88
NickL 65
Popular Topics(Views)
436,968 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,270
Posts632,132
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#151701 - 07/01/05 10:15 am New oil pump - any comments?  
Ian Chadwick Offline
BritBike Forum
Ian Chadwick  Offline
BritBike Forum

Collingwood, ON Canada
I was thinking of installing the higher capacity oil pump as seen in the Enfield catalogue No. 7(enfieldmotorcycles.com). Does anyone have any experience in both doing the installation work and in how the pump performs?

Any other performance/maintenance or general improvement mods you can recommend? I'm considering new rockers as well, maybe a one-piece rectifier... and perhaps removing the stock air filter (box and all) and replacing it with a K&N.

Ian
www.ianchadwick.com/motorcycles/
Home of the Triumph Timeline & Mumpsimus Forum
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#151702 - 07/01/05 1:43 pm Re: New oil pump - any comments?  
Pender Online happy
BritBike Forum member
Pender  Online Happy

BritBike Forum member

Iowa
Hey Ian,
What year is your Bullet? The newer ones (post-99) are reliable enough that I wouldn't think any upgrades would be all that beneficial. I suppose it all depends on what your intentions are with the bike - those catalogues I keep getting from Hitchcock's are so tempting! Realistically, unless you plan on spending as much money on your RE as a Gold Star, it's never gonna be a Gold Star. The stock oil pumps have worked well for 50 years or so under pretty gruesome conditions, but the mod to higher capacity certainly isn't hard to do (about 15 minutes worth of work). The one piece reg/rec might also be of use - cleans up the appearance and is probably a more sound unit to boot. I put a K&N filter on mine and found a noticeable boost at the lower end but it still tops out at about 75 or so - tho' 55 seems to be it's happiest cruising speed. Instead of spending heaps of money on mods that may only take away from the character of the bike, I'd invest in some good service tools and keep the mildly-tuned and seriously reliable little beastie running forever.
Of course, that bigbore, stroked 612 kit with dual discs, rearsets, an alloy tank keeps calling my name... Danged ol' catalogues... bigt

Furies and Apaches and Interceptors, oh my!
#151703 - 07/01/05 9:53 pm Re: New oil pump - any comments?  
debby Offline
BritBike Forum member
debby  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Boulder, CO
Yup, all kinds of enticing goodies in those catalogs! I'm trying my best to resist.

My bike has the shorty muffler, a K&N inside the airbox, and it's been jetted richer. I'm not really planning any more engine mods. More power means more heat, and that's a big problem for these bikes.

As for the oil pumps, I've heard the post-99 bikes already have the high-output pumps (I'm not sure if that's true however).

Debby

#151704 - 07/02/05 10:18 am Re: New oil pump - any comments?  
Ian Chadwick Offline
BritBike Forum
Ian Chadwick  Offline
BritBike Forum

Collingwood, ON Canada
Mine is a 1995, so upgrades may be warranted. It may become a garage sculpture soon, however, before it ever sees a new oil pump.

I wish I HAD a 99! Mine now needs new pushrods, and possibly rockers.

I had to replace the rubber manifolds, the intake manifold housing on the engine, got the clutch adjusted, had to get the carb cleaned and adjusted... but when my mechanic was adjusting the pushrods, he found one was loose and stripped. He recommended an immediate replacement. I rode it home, but it only got about 8 kms before it died.

Now it's back in the shop waiting for the newest parts to arrive. I think I'll name this bike Money Pit... or maybe Black Hole because it sucks everything out of my wallet...

I had expected it would need maintenance and cleaning and some replacements - the rubber bits especially. I wasn't prepared for major engine work.

Maybe when we can get Bullets in Canada again, I'll get a later model...

Ian
#151705 - 07/02/05 5:33 pm Re: New oil pump - any comments?  
frobac Offline
BritBike Forum
frobac  Offline
BritBike Forum

Nova Scotia
Hey Ian,
After seeing all of the questions you've posted on here I recommend you join the yahoo royal enfield message group http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/royalenfield/
(if you already haven't)
There are loads of Bullet enthusiasts in that group that will be a huge help to you.

I also own a 95 Bullet, in Canada. So far i have done all of the maintenence needed, myself(replaced stator, rebuilt clutch, decarbonized engine, rebuilt gearbox etc..) Its my first motorbike, so i knew nothing about motorcycle maintenence previous to it.
I suggest that you get a manual(Pete Snidal's even) and replace the pushrod yourself(unless you know an enfield specific mechanic?), cause i know that i would almost never trust my Bullet to a UJM run-of-the-mill mechanic.

Enfield Bullet: Symbol of destination.
#151706 - 07/06/05 5:21 pm Re: New oil pump - any comments?  
Ian Chadwick Offline
BritBike Forum
Ian Chadwick  Offline
BritBike Forum

Collingwood, ON Canada
Thanks. I've joined the Yahoo group, but haven't had time to explore it.

I have the Snidal manual, as well as the workshop book. I just got new pushrods & rocker boxes to replace he existing ones. Hope they cure the bike. Can't afford to put a lot more into it!

My mechanic has worked on Bullets and other vintage Brit bikes in the past (he's the local Triumph dealer too). I have faith in his abilities. I don't have the skills or time or tools right now to do a lot of my own work outside of the basics/cosmetic upgrades, although maybe in the winter I'll have more time.

Ian

Ian

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.917s Queries: 14 (0.085s) Memory: 0.8282 MB (Peak: 0.9809 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-21 04:41:55 UTC