BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
JTsmks
JTsmks
Orange Park Florida
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
207 registered members (2ndchildhood), 1,545 guests, and 562 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Gerard, Regi, Doug Baril, revans, Gilly
9962 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 186
koan58 101
Stuart 85
NickL 69
Popular Topics(Views)
440,493 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,306
Posts632,082
Members9,962
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#1211 - 03/09/05 7:23 pm What are the correct colours for the early post-war BSA tank badges?  
Slaapstad Offline
BritBike Forum member
Slaapstad  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Town, South Africa
I'm looking for input on the correct colour of the early post-war tank badges - the so-called "square" winged badges that were used up until 1952 I think. I have two types - one is chromed with the letters BSA in blue enamel and the others are bronze coloured with red BSA lettering. I bought the badges for a 1946 C11 project and suspect that the correct colour should be the blue jobs. Can anyone confirm this? If so, what are the bronze and red items off?

........now where the heck did that bolt come from?
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#1212 - 03/09/05 10:33 pm Re: What are the correct colours for the early post-war BSA tank badges?  
roadplough Offline
BritBike Forum member
roadplough  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Noosa, Australia
Could be blue but I don't recall seeing any of those on C11s when I worked in a bike wreckers in Aus in the early '70s, and lots of C11s ended their one piece days there. Could depend on destination market of the time.
Mine was a WC11 (1940) and had the red badges but may have been altered by previous owners, as could have been any of them.

#1213 - 03/10/05 3:26 am Re: What are the correct colours for the early post-war BSA tank badges?  
roadplough Offline
BritBike Forum member
roadplough  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Noosa, Australia
Speak of the devil that may prove the memory fallible:
C11 on ebay au

Doesn't look natural to me though..

#1214 - 03/10/05 5:56 am Re: What are the correct colours for the early post-war BSA tank badges?  
Slaapstad Offline
BritBike Forum member
Slaapstad  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Town, South Africa
Thanks RP. Interesting pic. I reckon that the unnatural look is a result of incorrect tank colour. Tank was chromed with coloured side and top panels - usually matt silver with black dual pinstripe surround or in the case of the "de-luxe" model pale blue with gold pinstripes. The deluxe model also sported chrome fork seal holders as indicated in the picture. But painted black spokes and wheels would indicate an early standard model. Kickstart is off a 4-speed box - early models had a 3-speed. Box looks to be 4-speed as well. Plunger I see, which came in in 1951. I don't see a speedo in the tank which indicates a 1953 job (54 went to C11G). Although the badges changed in 52 or 53 I think. So not an historically correct machine, but what the heck, it seems to be all there and probably ridable which is all that really matters!

#1215 - 03/10/05 6:01 am Re: What are the correct colours for the early post-war BSA tank badges?  
Slaapstad Offline
BritBike Forum member
Slaapstad  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Town, South Africa
Just checked some documentation. '52 & '53 had the unusual BSA big winged chrome badges that were peculiar to those two years. '53 C11 came in maroon or black painted parts - but tank was still chromed as were the wheels.

#1216 - 03/10/05 7:05 am Re: What are the correct colours for the early post-war BSA tank badges?  
roadplough Offline
BritBike Forum member
roadplough  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Noosa, Australia
That's interesting, my '40 model with teles and rigid rear had a tank speedo hole, didn't occur to me that it might be the wrong tank.
A lot of them were bitsas, this one on ebay might make you rub your eyes and look again. 5-speed box!

Not one of the C11s that came into the wreckers had a dynamo chain. Very rare part, I eventually got a NOS one from a push-bike dealer who had a set of new C11 mudguards which I spotted through his back room door.

#1217 - 03/10/05 1:55 pm Re: What are the correct colours for the early post-war BSA tank badges?  
Slaapstad Offline
BritBike Forum member
Slaapstad  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Town, South Africa
That is possibly the most interesting application that I've seen for this motor! Bottom end looks like C11, but top end? B25 perhaps? Hmmm.... dynamo chains do seem do be difficult to come by. As well as chainguards. Still looking for a rigid C11 chainguard. Another bit that I've never come across (& need) id the assembly that hold the speedo in tank in place. FYI, the C11 had girder forks which housed the speedo until April 1946, when teles were fitted and the speedo moved to the tank. Prior to this the oil tank was housed in the fuel tank as well - although this shifted to under the saddle in late '45. The hole that you had in your tank may have been the oil filler hole? There were two caps on the 1940 tank. Fascinating little machines. I picked my '46 C11 up bundled with a B31 that I wanted. Subsequently picked up a '48 model for spares and a '55 C11G landed up in my garage as well.... BTW, how did you insert the photograph into the message? I can't seem to get it right. Do you still have your machine?

#1218 - 03/10/05 9:51 pm Re: What are the correct colours for the early post-war BSA tank badges?  
roadplough Offline
BritBike Forum member
roadplough  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Noosa, Australia
"C12 FRAME AND FORKS FIVE SPEED TRIUMPH GEARBOX WITH TRIUMPH 650 CLUTCH.------------ BC11G CRANKCASES WITH 1 PIECE CRANK , TRIUMPH DAYTONA BIG END, END FED - NEEDLE ROLLER BEARINGS ON TIMING SIDE.------------- RESHAPED C/25 BARREL WITH PORTED B/25SS HEAD.-------- A65 SHORTENED PUSHRODS"

I got my C11 around 1970 and rode it around the bush tracks for a couple of years running off the battery which I'd charge over night with a model train transformer set on 12 volts. Only first and third gears in the 3-speed box, it was my first proper bike but was very bare. Eventually the timing side bush went and finding another case the same, with the smoother blending-in breather molding, proved impossible. That's why I'm sure it was a W year, (engine only it seems) all the others had the more abrupt breather protrusion. Anyway I found all the missing bits like chainguard and speedo and rebuilt it for the road, put it in the showroom and it sold within a few days. That half paid for the first and only B25T that came into the wreckers, around '73. I had to have it of course.

Many endearing memories of the C11, like cutting new clutch corks every few weeks, due to the missing second gear and very steep hills. And I loved those front forks, 20 inch wheels and in-built stubbie-holder in the tank smile

To post an image, it needs to be on the net for a start, get it's URL like:
http://www4.tpg.com.au/users/grumpys/ebay/racer1.jpg
by right-clicking on the image and copying from "properties" or "copy image location" and in the "full reply form" here, click on the "image" button below then paste the URL into the pop-up box and OK it.
It's UBB code which can just be typed and consists of the square brackets things like:
Code:
 [IMG]image address[/IMG] 

I used the "code" button to show that.
Most servers, like eBay, will allow external links to their images but some don't. And images linked from eBay like those above will disappear in a few months when they're removed from the server.
The best way is to upload images to your own webspace and link from there.

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.399s Queries: 14 (0.013s) Memory: 0.8469 MB (Peak: 1.0172 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-25 07:42:11 UTC