BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
29 registered members (Alan_nc), 214 guests, and 453 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
hondapete1950, Gaspare, eberhard, Norman Woollons, LandoLando
10257 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 77
Lannis 56
Popular Topics(Views)
610,291 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,138
Posts651,518
Members10,257
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
shift pattern and more. #12011
06/09/06 7:12 pm
06/09/06 7:12 pm
Canada
BSAJonn Offline OP
BritBike Forum
BSAJonn  Offline OP
BritBike Forum
Canada
I was wondering if anyone knew the shift pattern on my A65(1969)?

also, there is three oil line that come off the bottom of the motor, one goes to the valve train and the other two go to the oil canister. What I am wondering is, I have an aftermarket oil filter on this bike, and I am wondering which oil line should go to the filter, and which one should go to the oil tank.
There wasn't any oil lines on this bike when I got it.

also, which coupler on the oil tank is the feed and which is the return?(stock oil tank).

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Jonn

I wish I knew everything.
Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: shift pattern and more. #12012
06/09/06 8:21 pm
06/09/06 8:21 pm
Saint John, New Brunswick
BSACafe Offline
BritBike Forum member
BSACafe  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Saint John, New Brunswick
Hi BSAJonn,
Your oil filter should be connected to the return line from the motor to the oil tank. You can see the return line just inside the oil filler cap on the tank. The oil lines cross over each other between the engine and tank, so it's not intuitive on which goes where.
I would suggest hooking the oil lines up to the tank and turning the motor over manually with your kickstart. Do NOT run the motor. You should be able to see the oil returing to the oil tank if you have the filler cap off. The return is just inside the cap, so the oil returning should be easy to see with a flashlight.

Jer

http://www.caferacer.ca

1968 BSA Lightning Cafe
1968 BSA Thunderbolt
1969 BSA Royal Star
1972 BSA Thunderbolt
Re: shift pattern and more. #12013
06/09/06 8:25 pm
06/09/06 8:25 pm
Flint,Mich
norbsa48503 Offline
BritBike Forum member
norbsa48503  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Flint,Mich
Well does your shifter point forward from the shaft or back? If it's stock forward. Your one down three up. And the "Norton" one up three down if someone rigged rear sets by flipping the lever backwards.

norbsa
1960 TR6
1963 Super Rocket
1965 650 Star
1966 441
1968 Thunderbolt
1969 Twinkle 250
1972 Fastback
1974 Roadster
1970 S.S
Way too many BSA's not named
http://decentcycles.com
Re: shift pattern and more. #12014
06/11/06 3:11 pm
06/11/06 3:11 pm
Midland, Ontario, Canada
J
John Bakker Offline
BritBike Forum member
John Bakker  Offline
BritBike Forum member
J
Midland, Ontario, Canada
BSA John,
Hallworth is right, a lot of people find the oil lines confusing. If you go from the outside of the engine, the first pipe is the small one for the rocker feed. This takes a 3/16 line. Next one in is the return line. Hook a 5/16 hose from here to the intake from your oil filter. Then run a hose from the ouput of your filter to the return pipe on your oil tank (this is the one that is farthest in on the bottom of the tank, about in the middle).
Now back to the engine. The pipe that sits farthest in is the intake to the engine. Connect a 5/16 hose from here to the pipe on the oil tank that sits just below the drain bolt.
When all is hooked up, it will appear that the oil lines cross over each other under the engine, thus leading to the questions. Before starting the bike, get the oil pump primed by kicking it through several times with the sparkplugs out. If there isn't already some oil in your sump, remove the valve cover and pour about 250cc into the pushrod tunnel, which will find its way to the crank.
The factory manual has a good diagram of all this, so let me know if you need a scan and I can email it to you. (jbakker21@hotmail.com)

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership