BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
tombeau
tombeau
Finland
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
31 registered members (998John), 305 guests, and 402 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Biscuits, DT 150, DamienE, vietnammotorbike, Lennart Liljedah
10291 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 95
Lannis 66
Mori55 64
Popular Topics(Views)
638,117 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,396
Posts654,367
Members10,291
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Astral Red paint color codes for 70 Bonneville? #114323
04/19/07 2:36 am
04/19/07 2:36 am
New York City
J
jblonk Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
jblonk  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
J
New York City
I am in the process of repainting a 1970 Bonneville (it had been painted Krylon Blue so I have nothing to color-match).
Does anyone have a the paint code (Dupont, PPG, etc) for the Astral Red they could share with me? I believe some folks sell the stock paints, but since this is a daily rider and not a museum piece, I was hoping to economize. Any help would be apprecitated.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Astral Red paint color codes for 70 Bonneville? #114324
04/19/07 2:42 am
04/19/07 2:42 am
Chicago
Matt J Offline
BritBike Forum member
Matt J  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Chicago
I'm not sure if anybody on this board has the codes but the man with the answers is Don Hutchinson:

http://www.triumphman.com/

His prices are a little higher than you would expect from your local jobber but considering the quality of his paints and the correctness of the color they are not outrageous at all. I hear he'll even give you the proper layout tips to make sure you have the correct scheme.

Re: Astral Red paint color codes for 70 Bonneville? #114325
04/19/07 6:46 am
04/19/07 6:46 am
Scotland
S
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Scotland
Hi,

Quote:
Originally posted by jblonk:
Does anyone have a the paint code (Dupont, PPG, etc) for the Astral Red they could share with me?
There isn't a single code, as the original paint was a Candy Apple (aka just 'candy'), which consists of a translucent lacquer over a 'ground coat' - in this case, silver. Also, ime, original (i.e. 38-year-old) paint codes aren't any use to a modern sprayer.

Quote:
Originally posted by jblonk:
I believe some folks sell the stock paints,
I was hoping to economize.
With respect, you need to be clear about what you want, both now and in the future; ime, there is no such thing as a paint job that's both good and cheap.

You will need an automotive paint of some sort. The original was produced by spraying tank and 'guards all over with the silver, then masking off the areas that would end up Silver and spraying the translucent red.

Modern production vehicles do not use candies. The nearest modern match to the original finish are metallics, which have to be sprayed *very* well (aka 'expensively') to match the subtleties of a candy. However, because they are coloured, if you want two colours like the original, the tank and 'guards will have to be masked twice, once for the red and once for the silver. Unfortunately, when it's completed, unless it's been done the aforementioned '*very* well', you still won't have a finish that'll fool every potential buyer in the future, and '70 Bonnies are the most desired of the unit 650's by the people with the most money. frown

Otoh, someone like Don Hutchinson has spent many hours mixing and matching modern candies to match the originals he has. Although he did that to provide a service, he isn't a charity, so he makes money by selling paint to the formulae he spent so much of his time working out.

So, your money, your choice - Don Hutchinson or your local automotive sprayer.

Hth.

Regards,

Re: Astral Red paint color codes for 70 Bonneville? #114326
04/19/07 12:17 pm
04/19/07 12:17 pm
Boston, Massachusetts
J
John Healy Offline

BritBike Forum member
John Healy  Offline

BritBike Forum member
J
Boston, Massachusetts
Don is still able to supply most original "candy" colors.

Re: Astral Red paint color codes for 70 Bonneville? #114327
04/19/07 1:50 pm
04/19/07 1:50 pm
B
birdoprey Offline
BritBike Forum member
birdoprey  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B
Just to add to what Stuart has said, there is no way to reproduce the look of “candy apple” with a straight color. However, it will be cheaper to paint with a straight color that produces a look that you can accept. That will be a judgment call on your part. OTH, having a more original looking “candy” color will be more attractive to a potential buyer.

And to complicate things even more, application of candy colors is as much a factor in the final look as the “color code”. Basically, if you are not shooting it yourself, you have to get your painter to shoot you some test panels and then pick out one for him to “shoot to”. In the end, it is not possible for us, out here in the “world”, to know what is actually “correct”. Best shot at that would be to get someone like Hutchenson who has worked with these bikes for decades to do the work for you and just accept it as “correct”.

PPG has a line of “translucent” urethane paint that they call their Radiance line. It’s what I used on my ’69. Any qualified paint shop can shoot it but you will have to pay accordingly. I would not accept a lacquer paint job by a shop unless the cost was substantially less. It’s a sin for a shop to charge as much for lacquer as for urethanes.

In the end, it’s your bike, paint it however you like, you have only yourself to please. We are just trying to help you make an informed decision.

Art.

Re: Astral Red paint color codes for 70 Bonneville? #114328
04/19/07 2:03 pm
04/19/07 2:03 pm
Laredo (South) Texas, USA
GrandPaul Offline
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Laredo (South) Texas, USA
Don Hutchinson can provide the EXACT COLOR for about the same price as anyone thinking they can "match" the original color, and it will be a SURE MATCH every time.

Don will provide mixing and application instructions and patterns to ensure that a 3rd party painter at least has proper direction for applying the correct paint in the correct manner.

He can also do the work far better than 90% of the whiney "modern" painters out there and get it right every time.

The only drawback - his queue - several months!

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Re: Astral Red paint color codes for 70 Bonneville? #114329
04/19/07 2:52 pm
04/19/07 2:52 pm
Boston, Massachusetts
J
John Healy Offline

BritBike Forum member
John Healy  Offline

BritBike Forum member
J
Boston, Massachusetts
No... at dinner last week he claimed he was not taking paint work in until next fall. He is concentrating on shop work this time of year.

While he does have a color match system in house, he is still able to supply most original candy colors in their original formulation... though they are getting thin on the ground these days.

Re: Astral Red paint color codes for 70 Bonneville? #114330
04/19/07 11:34 pm
04/19/07 11:34 pm
Scotland
S
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Scotland
Hi,

Quote:
Originally posted by GrandPaul:
Don Hutchinson can provide the EXACT COLOR for about the same price as anyone thinking they can "match" the original color, and it will be a SURE MATCH every time.
With respect, you have to be careful using those terms in capital letters when talking about Triumph paint. It appears that Meriden painters did not spray a 'tester' to adjust for conditions on a particular day, so the 'same' colour sprayed at different times can appear visibly different. Iirc, John told a while back on the Board how he and Don took the original Triumph wrapping off a number of 'guards, supposedly the same colour, that had been stored correctly, to find that no two were exactly alike!

Hth.

Regards,

Re: Astral Red paint color codes for 70 Bonneville? #114331
04/19/07 11:48 pm
04/19/07 11:48 pm
Watauga, TX, USA
ContraGuy Offline
BritBike Forum
ContraGuy  Offline
BritBike Forum
Watauga, TX, USA
IMHO, it's worth it to spend the cash and get the paint from Don. That's what I did. Then I found a reputable local painter who does hot rods, and he did a great job. I had him finish the whole thing off with a modern clear coat to protect my investment, and the paint still looks good as new 4 years later.

BTW, not only can weather conditions affect the paint, the number of coats and thickness of the translucent top color will also affect the final result. The more coats of the top color you apply, the darker the color gets. Lacquer candies get their richness and depth from painting several very thin and even coats of the translucent color. I think my tank has something like 28 coats, including the primer, base coat, top coat, and clear.

Metallic paints just don't come close to the "texture" that you get with a nice candy...

1961 Triumph TR6R Project

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership