BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
HughdeMann
HughdeMann
Beautiful North Carolina
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
204 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,695 guests, and 530 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 186
koan58 99
Stuart 89
NickL 62
Popular Topics(Views)
436,135 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,263
Posts632,008
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#109548 - 02/04/07 8:15 am t140 valve stem seals  
bert007 Offline
BritBike Forum
bert007  Offline
BritBike Forum

tasmania
im rebuilding t140 head pre 79, im considering fitting steam seals, i read somwhere triumph fitted 'o' rings in 80,81,? instead of the 1979 seals. if this is correct can i fit these to early valves, is it worth it, did they work. or should i not bother. any opinions thanks

t140
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#109549 - 02/04/07 3:10 pm Re: t140 valve stem seals  
John Healy Online content
John Healy  Online Content

Boston, Massachusetts
Your T140 guide can easily be modified to accept the Norton valve guide seal.

I have heard he "O" ring trick, but never seen it in a Triumph from the factory. The "o" ring finds its way under the valve collar and deflects the oil from running down the valve stem.

In comparison to other motors, the area around the guide is subjected to very little oil. If one was to modify the oil feed to the rockers, as discussed on other threads, it might make sense. In my experience it snuggles right in there with the Boyer - points; AMAL - Mikuni; etc discussion.

If this group is as predictable as I believe, what will follow is 60-40 split, with 40 for the oil seal and 60 against.

Now I would spend my time and effort buying REAL valves and REAL valve guides: Nitrided valves and guides made from real valve guide material, not free machining brass...

#109550 - 02/04/07 3:49 pm Re: t140 valve stem seals  
btour Online content
BritBike Forum member
btour  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Massachusetts, U.S.A.
Hi John,

I think I saw those threads, but can not remember well so I do not understand this sentence:

"In comparison to other motors, the area around the guide is subjected to very little oil. If one was to modify the oil feed to the rockers, as discussed on other threads, it might make sense."

Does this meant that if you allows more oil feed to rockers than the modification of adding valve guide seal makes sense? Or something else.

I am curious because I was told a valve guide seal
could be added to my 71 T120R. I would like to know if there is a downside, and what is involved in doing that.

I also remember a thread somewhere in which it was suggested that a "what is the right word" camfer (sp), bevel?, could be added to the valve guide so that less oil would run down it.

I have no idea which is better, in terms of durability of effect.

Bob, Lifetime bike: '71 T120R, bought in '71 at Ken Heanes, England.
#109551 - 02/04/07 7:45 pm Re: t140 valve stem seals  
Fisherman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Fisherman  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Tennessee
Btour, I'll not answer for John, but might try to repeat what I remember when asking the same type question when I saw 2 umbrella type seals in my gasket set when rebuilding my son's '66 TR6.
More oil feed to the rocker shafts usually means running a pressurized feed from the oil pressure switch output up to the rockers. It was done by some guys who raced, but I don't know if it is a reasonable mod for any bike. The problem created is that the volume of oil goes up, and it has to drain through the same holes in the guideblocks, thus the oil can theoretically back up in the pushrod tubes and fill the rocker cavity. Then you need to enlarge the drain back holes, by how much? Who knows? The factory rocker feed seems adequate for street use and most if not all racing applications.

I mentioned the umbrella seal for your problem to band aid a possible sloppy valve guide. Chamfering would tend to make the oil slide off the outside rather than going down inside the guide, and maybe avoid fouling the plug. Either would help a guide that is marginal.

Bottom line for me, I didn't use the valve seals.

Bernie

'Never argue with an idiot, they'll bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience'

'72 TR6
'12 Hinckley Scrambler
'95 FLHTC Road Sofa
#109552 - 02/04/07 10:04 pm Re: t140 valve stem seals  
Grin Offline
BritBike Forum member
Grin  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Fife,Scotland, UK
I would go with John Healy on this one.
The Meriden factory never fitted the O ring but Harris did to his Bonnies along with cast iron guides on some of his bikes,untill the UK dealers moane about them and went back to the normal bronze type material.

#109553 - 02/05/07 7:41 am Re: t140 valve stem seals  
bert007 Offline
BritBike Forum
bert007  Offline
BritBike Forum

tasmania
john does that mean if you where rebuilding a t140e 1979 you would not bother with the oil seal

t140
#109554 - 02/05/07 2:02 pm Re: t140 valve stem seals  
John Healy Online content
John Healy  Online Content

Boston, Massachusetts
Bert: That seems like a simple question and there is a simple answer: emissions. But I get the feeling that you know this and want my opinion on using valve guide seals on Triumphs.

As far as emissions is concerned it is a problem in some states in the US. Thus in these localities I would certainly do what I had to do to get my bike to pass the emission tests. Fitting valve guide seals is certainly one of them.

If I was doing a customer's "E" bike, again I would install the seals. It seems to be custom in this industry to blame the previous mechanic for all sorts of unrelated problems... That **** healy didn't fit the valve guide seals, that is why I have to charge you $3,000 to replace the main bearings. The last mechanic never seems to have done anything right in this business!!!

If it was for my personal bike here in Massachusetts, where we do not have emission testing for motorcycles, I would do what I have been doing for years... not fit them.

#109555 - 02/06/07 5:34 am Re: t140 valve stem seals  
bert007 Offline
BritBike Forum
bert007  Offline
BritBike Forum

tasmania
thanks for your honesty john, appreciated

t140

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.608s Queries: 14 (0.041s) Memory: 0.8439 MB (Peak: 1.0219 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-20 05:44:46 UTC