BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
pittss1s
pittss1s
hamilton, va
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
212 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,659 guests, and 562 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery
9959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 193
koan58 99
Stuart 84
NickL 71
Popular Topics(Views)
438,526 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,287
Posts632,414
Members9,959
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#109065 - 01/25/07 12:21 am HELP!-oil leaks/clutch problems T140V ('77)  
jtm Offline
BritBike Forum
jtm  Offline
BritBike Forum

nj
i have some fairly heavy oil leakage and i don't quite understand why. how should i start rectifying this problem? particulary troubling is that oil on the top end, right?

also, my clutch isn't working (you squeeze it but it doesn't engage the gears). someone told me it's a "wet clutch'' and may not be working because the oil has drained out of the frame. Any truth to this? Sorry but i'm in over my head with this bike. Any help is appreciated.

http://www.angelfire.com/planet/jtm1534/HPIM0503.JPG

http://www.angelfire.com/planet/jtm1534/HPIM0519.JPG

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#109066 - 01/25/07 1:32 am Re: HELP!-oil leaks/clutch problems T140V ('77)  
Mark Z Online content
BritBike Forum member
Mark Z  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Owego, NY, USA
First you'll have to figure out where the leakage is. If it's coming from the clutch seal behind the chainwheel, the problem could be excessive crankcase pressure in the primary chaincase due to piston ring blow-by. The crankcase breathes into the primary case through small holes around the crank sprocket. Excessive crankcase pressure will increase pressure in the primary chaincase, blowing the oil out any orifice it can find. This was happening on a '77 T140V I worked on, and an upper-engine rebuild fixed it.

That problem was also marked by excessive oil in the primary, which can cause your clutch to slip, but I didn't understand your description of the clutch problem - when you squeeze the lever, it's supposed to DISengage.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
#109067 - 01/25/07 1:32 am Re: HELP!-oil leaks/clutch problems T140V ('77)  
trumpetloon Offline
BritBike Forum member
trumpetloon  Offline
BritBike Forum member

georgia
Welcome. I tried your link to photos but the images did not load, so let's talk what and where. I assume from your post that you have just got this bike? How long has it sat, and does it run now?

Exactly where is the "top" oil leak coming from? Are there others? Before I overload the questions let's start with those basics and work along.

Clutch mysteries solved after a bit of background info is heard.

1974 TR5T
#109068 - 01/25/07 1:47 am Re: HELP!-oil leaks/clutch problems T140V ('77)  
JubeePrince Online content
Life member
JubeePrince  Online Content

Life member

Back on the mainland!
jtm -

Welcome to the board!

Ask lots of questions.....there are people here with alot more knowledge of these bikes than me, but I'll give you a little food for thought:

1) Firstly, if all the oil was drained out of the frame, you wouldn't be having oil leaking on the top-end (in most cases).

2) I will assume you know where the oil fill cap is so a visual inspection will verify that there is oil in there....

3) Can you get the bike in neutral? I assume you mean when you squeeze the lever, the clutch does not disengage......if the bike has sat for awhile, you can try to find neutral, then kick the bike over to free the clutch. If this doesn't work, you'll need to pull the primary cover and clutch to clean and free up the assembly.

4) What do you mean by "fairly heavy oil leakage"? From where exactly? How much? A weep or is it gushing like a Texas well?

5) Is this bike new to you or one that has been sitting and you're just getting around to getting her going again?

6) Do you have worshop manuals and parts book?

7) Are you sure you're ready for a commitment of this nature? laughing

HTH,

Steve Prince

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
#109069 - 01/25/07 5:04 am Re: HELP!-oil leaks/clutch problems T140V ('77)  
jtm Offline
BritBike Forum
jtm  Offline
BritBike Forum

nj
Thanks for the replies, guys. Hopefully these pics will work this time. They don't show the leaks at their worst but you can see things don't look good at the top left (blown piston is my guess?) and bottom right. The bike has been sitting for about 2 years and the oil has leaked out of it completely, or almost completely.

as for the clutch, i should have said it does not DISengage when squeezed in, meaning i cannot change gears. any truth to the idea that the bike is a "wet clutch,'' meaning that since the oil is gone so is the ability to use the clutch?

i bought this bike with the best of intentions but time/money/etc got in the way. now, i no longer can keep it in the same garage where it's been so i need to get it out. of course i'd prefer to actually ride it out rather than load it on a truck.

thanks for the replies and any future information you can provide.

http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=trumpet.917.JPG

#109070 - 01/25/07 7:22 am Re: HELP!-oil leaks/clutch problems T140V ('77)  
KrispyKris Offline
BritBike Forum member
KrispyKris  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by jtm:
Thanks for the replies, guys. Hopefully these pics will work this time. They don't show the leaks at their worst but you can see things don't look good at the top left (blown piston is my guess?) and bottom right. The bike has been sitting for about 2 years and the oil has leaked out of it completely, or almost completely.

as for the clutch, i should have said it does not DISengage when squeezed in, meaning i cannot change gears. any truth to the idea that the bike is a "wet clutch,'' meaning that since the oil is gone so is the ability to use the clutch?

i bought this bike with the best of intentions but time/money/etc got in the way. now, i no longer can keep it in the same garage where it's been so i need to get it out. of course i'd prefer to actually ride it out rather than load it on a truck.

thanks for the replies and any future information you can provide.

http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=trumpet.917.JPG

First, seems like you have the classic "stuck" clutch. Try pulling the clutch lever in, and kick-starting to free it up (IGN off). Keep the lever held in while you kick.

It looks like most of the oil is coming from the rocker shaft. Not a biggie. Do a seach on the site for Rocker shaft seals.

If it was ALL of the oil, you would have an area about two meters in Diameter. Any puddle of oil looks like the Exxon Valdez to someone not used ot British bikes. laughing

Last, sounds like you are in for a big education on how engines work. Triumphs are not for those who do not love to "tinker" much less for those who prefer to jump to Jiffy Lube for an oil change. So, as previously posted, "are you ready for this type of commitement"? Also, if you are not using that choke bracket, I sure could use one laugh JK

BGL, Deutschland.
'67 Bonnie w/140V, '76 T160, '52 Vincent Rapide.
"Is that 'normal' mechanical noise, or the sound of imminent destruction...?"
#109071 - 01/25/07 5:23 pm Re: HELP!-oil leaks/clutch problems T140V ('77)  
stone Offline
BritBike Forum
stone  Offline
BritBike Forum

Tasmania
Welcome to the world of Triumph. First of all your clutch does run wet(oil in primary), but the sump runs dry(minimal oil in crankcase). So drop your crankcase sump plug to determine if that is where your missing oil has leaked to, causing hydraulic lock. If so, this could be the cause of the gears being hard to change. It could also cause the base gasket to leak if you are trying to force it, ie kicking/pushing in gear! Try putting the bike on the centre stand & rocking the back wheel wich may free up the gearbox/clutch. Good luck! Hope this helps!

76 T140v
#109072 - 01/25/07 6:40 pm Re: HELP!-oil leaks/clutch problems T140V ('77)  
RF Whatley Offline
BritBike Forum member
RF Whatley  Offline
BritBike Forum member

North Georgia, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by kandkresto:
Last, sounds like you are in for a big education on how engines work. Triumphs are not for those who do not love to "tinker" much less for those who prefer to jump to Jiffy Lube for an oil change. So, as previously posted, "are you ready for this type of commitment"?
Spoken like a true graduate of the "RFW School Of Brit Bike Ownership". Your diploma is in the mail. bigt

Your bike looks almost "normal". You're going to have to do some research here and replace each and every 35 year-old oil seal and o-ring on the machine in order to stop those leaks... and you're most likely going to have to do it yourself to get it done right.

Personally, I find riding old Brit bikes fun and highly rewarding, but it's also a lifestyle that requires time, dedication, energy and tireless research... that is, unless you own a "money gun" and an endless supply of ammo. You'll need to get used to doing something to the bike every time you ride. You can make this adjustment at home before you take off, or you can do it on the side of the road. Your choice. laugh

If you're savvy enough to change your own car air and oil filters then you can master this work. The machine itself is simple, but it takes tools and time. So again, are you sure?

Now sir to your leak... First, wash the bike. Then you'll be able to determine which of the 4 independent oil supplies is leaking. When we know exactly where, then we can supplement your workshop manual instructions. At this point it's probably safe to assume that the reason for the leak is old, hard "rubber" parts.

bigt

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
Cornelia, GA

"Shop Boy" at Rodi British Bikes

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.606s Queries: 14 (0.057s) Memory: 0.8519 MB (Peak: 1.0214 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-23 03:52:47 UTC