BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Soup Dragon
Soup Dragon
South Cotswolds, England
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
203 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,757 guests, and 538 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 186
koan58 99
Stuart 88
NickL 63
Popular Topics(Views)
436,437 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,263
Posts632,026
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#106138 - 12/02/06 9:30 pm 500 T100 Gearbox Gurus?  
Colin_In_Ottawa Offline
BritBike Forum member
Colin_In_Ottawa  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Ottawa Canada
69 T100s
Problem is jumping out of 2nd gear under hard acceleration and also 4th gear but less often.
I took the gearset out expecting to find badly worn dogs and camplate but they are not really that bad.
I've been playing with it all afternoon to try and figure out the cause but so far I've been unable to make a positive diagnosis.
I'm lucky enough to have a 2nd gearset from a 70 model that I THOUGHT was in great shape but after comparing the 2 sets side by side I would say that the dogs on the 69 are in better shape than the 70.
What I HAVE noticed so far...
The engaging dogs on the layshaft that get pushed by the outer selector fork only push those dogs in about halfway into the 2nd gear on that layshaft. I swapped camplates and forks without helping any. If I push up on the 3rd gear that carries the 2nd gear dogs then engagement is full. Would this account for the problem? The 70 gearset seems to get much deeper engagement. What do I do to increase the engagement?
Does this describe things very clearly?... Tough to describe such things!

Another issue I have is again with the layshaft. The 2nd and high gears come as an assembly. On the 70 set the high gear is a tight enough fit on its shaft that it does not move... But on the 69 set the high gear is loose enough that it slides just a little bit away from the 2nd gear.
Between these 2 gears is a 2 piece shim. You shouldn't even know its there but on my 69 set, when the gear slides forward a bit, this shim falls out and is a bear to get back in place!
Once the gearset is back in the bike I doubt if the gears would be able to move enough to allow this shim to fall but should I do anything to lock the gear better on the shaft anyways??

Final question for now...
I ordered new springs for inside the gear box. The camplate plunger spring I received is 1/2 inch shorter than the stock one but seems a bit stiffer. Could this be the only issue with jumping out gear? A weak plunger spring? Is this shorter spring the recommended replacement?
Like I said... Gear dogs dont look too bad. Camplate has some grooving along the edge but doesnt seem to have too much total wear. Selectors are not discoloured or too beat up looking.
I hate to throw money at a problem without knowing the actual problem but dont mind spending money on something I KNOW is worn.
Any 500 gearbox gurus out there to help me??
Colin

70 Bonnie
70 T100s Bobber
07 Bonnie
10 Tbird
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#106139 - 12/03/06 2:51 pm Re: 500 T100 Gearbox Gurus?  
Grappa Speziale Offline
BritBike Forum
Grappa Speziale  Offline
BritBike Forum

Solihull, West midlands UK
I had the same problem with my T100, the problem was a weak plunger spring....!

1960 T100A
1963 T100SS
1965 Norton Atlas 750 Caferacer
#106140 - 12/03/06 6:28 pm Re: 500 T100 Gearbox Gurus?  
hh Offline
BritBike Forum member
hh  Offline
BritBike Forum member

British Columbia
I suggest comparing the free length of the plunger spring against the factory spec and be suspicious if it doesn't match within an eighth of an inch or so. The proper plunger spring can be packed with a ball bearing of suitable diameter placed inside the plunger to increase the pressure.

Make sure that the right mainshaft bearing is tight in the case. This one can drift from wear and cause strange symptoms like the clutch lever free play changing while you ride once warmed up.

I had a jumping out of 2nd gear problem but packing the plunger spring along with a custom layshaft thrust washer that's thicker than original to tighten up the layshaft endfloat cured it. Also, I don't run gaskets between the cases. Gaskets aren't speced in the parts book and adding the inner one increases layshaft endfloat.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin
#106141 - 12/03/06 6:34 pm Re: 500 T100 Gearbox Gurus?  
Duncan Fairley Offline
BritBike Forum member
Duncan Fairley  Offline
BritBike Forum member

UK
The fiting of a ball bearing under the plunger spring, is actually mentioned in Triumph tuning info. Gaskets are fitted to SOME 500 gear boxes, and in some of the 500 gearboxes I've taken apart, there have been shims on the layshaft. I've not been able to explain this up until now, so hh, you have probably given me some idea. I'll check with a vernier next time.

#106142 - 12/03/06 11:43 pm Re: 500 T100 Gearbox Gurus?  
Colin_In_Ottawa Offline
BritBike Forum member
Colin_In_Ottawa  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Ottawa Canada
The camplate plunger spring I ordered was 57-0373 but the part I received was 57-4459. The package says "57-0373 Use 57-4459."
I wonder with this shorter spring if I'm supposed to use some sort of spacer like you've metioned or leave it as-is?
It does feel like a stiffer spring when I compare the old "longer one" with the new "shorter one".
I rummaged around and found a suitable "spacer" for the layshaft that I will trial fit to see if I eliminate most of any free-play between the thrust washer and the inner gearbox cover.

70 Bonnie
70 T100s Bobber
07 Bonnie
10 Tbird
#106143 - 12/06/06 2:46 am Re: 500 T100 Gearbox Gurus?  
Colin_In_Ottawa Offline
BritBike Forum member
Colin_In_Ottawa  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Ottawa Canada
Well I spent some time and now have a .010" shim for the Layshaft that brings end play down to about .015 - .020" (estimated) - It "feels" good now. I went through my parts basket and found ANOTHER camplate plunger spring - Off a 70 T100... Free length is the specified 2 1/2" but it has 25 coils compared to the 22 specified plus it seems to be a heavier gauge wire than the one I pulled out. Its stiffer than the original.
I really see nothing wrong with the Camplate wear areas but will sleep on the decision to change it or not one more night.
Otherwise, I think I will slap it back together tomorrow night. If its no better next spring, what the heck, I will do the job again. Pulling the clutch is the long part, the gearbox seems pretty easy now after doing R&R on it a few times to test things.
Cheers.

70 Bonnie
70 T100s Bobber
07 Bonnie
10 Tbird

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.448s Queries: 15 (0.100s) Memory: 0.8306 MB (Peak: 0.9846 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-20 13:34:36 UTC