BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
oggy
oggy
Lancashire, England
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
218 registered members (Adam M.), 1,806 guests, and 551 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 190
koan58 100
Stuart 84
NickL 66
Popular Topics(Views)
437,253 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,272
Posts632,156
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#104639 - 11/03/06 2:49 am Ring Connectors vs. Spade Connectors?  
JubeePrince Online content
Life member
JubeePrince  Online Content

Life member

Back on the mainland!
Greetings all!

Aside fron the obvious advantage of spade connectors (ease of disconnection) are there any other advantages, disadvatages of one over the other?

I'm installing a new harness this winter as my ignition and battery lead wires are getting extremely brittle......just a matter of time before my electric system loses its integrity.

I had an issue this past summer with a spade connector loosening on my coil and giving me no spark (Boyer). After almost loosening a tooth on the side of the road crimping my spade in the dark so I could get home, I'm thinking about soldering/crimping ring connectors on the coil leads and using the posts and nuts...

Anyone have any issues with this setup? Not good due to vibrations, etc......?

Thanks in advance,

Steve Prince

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#104640 - 11/03/06 3:13 am Re: Ring Connectors vs. Spade Connectors?  
Tom D. 67 Bonny Offline
BritBike Forum member
Tom D. 67 Bonny  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Manchester, Connecticut, USA
JubeePrince, With the spade connectors, I've found that the double u's on the female tend to open up, hence the conn. loosens. I've had to tighten many of them, even when not on vibrating machinery. I think it's age and heating and cooling that spreads them. With rings, I take and cut out a small section of the ring at the leading edge, just enough to slip over the post.
Tom ;-D cool pint

Tom D. 1967 T120R Bonneville
Anyone know of a place that sells Loctite
by the quart?
#104641 - 11/03/06 9:54 am Re: Ring Connectors vs. Spade Connectors?  
Tiger Offline
BritBike Forum member
Tiger  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Melbourne Australia
A short section of heat shrink tube over joints works well, you can carry a small razor knife in the toolbox for removing it in the field if that is ever necessary.

1969 TR6R
7.62 x 51 is not a maths puzzle.
#104642 - 11/03/06 1:30 pm Re: Ring Connectors vs. Spade Connectors?  
RF Whatley Online content
BritBike Forum member
RF Whatley  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

North Georgia, USA
JP -
All the data I've seen says that spade connectors are much better. (Second only to wire-wrap.) Yes, they will loosen, but only one at a time. Ring lugs have lots of problems, especially since multiple connections are sometimes piled on a single post, so that when the fastener loosens connection is lost to all the wires.

bigt

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
Cornelia, GA

"Shop Boy" at Rodi British Bikes
#104643 - 11/03/06 3:28 pm Re: Ring Connectors vs. Spade Connectors?  
andrewinpopayan Offline
BritBike Forum member
andrewinpopayan  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Halifax, Butt end of Europe
Use heat shrink sleeving, crimp and then solder them, spades are fine IMHO

99% of carb problems are electrical.

1959 3TA

BMW R1150 Oilhead
#104644 - 11/03/06 4:13 pm Re: Ring Connectors vs. Spade Connectors?  
Will S. Offline
Sponsor Member
Will S.  Offline
Sponsor Member

San Diego, CA
I just changed over to ring connectors on the coils on our 2 T140s, firstly because the spades were vibrating off, and secondly because theres not much room in the coil area on a T140 and I didn't like the sharp angles the wires going to the coils were bent at with the tall spade connectors.
I'd like to hear more about the problems with ring connectors, seems like a little loctite could prevent the fastener from loosening.
BTW, I got some really nice connectors from www.britishwiring.com

Will S.
BSAs: '66 & '69 Lightning
Triumphs: '68 TR6R, '68 Bonneville, '73 TR7, '55 6T
'71 Norton Commando

www.britironsd.com
#104645 - 11/03/06 4:33 pm Re: Ring Connectors vs. Spade Connectors?  
HughdeMann Offline
BritBike Forum member
HughdeMann  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Beautiful North Carolina
IMHO, either connection is fine. A small squeeze of silicone seal will secure the nut holding the ring terminals in place, and insulate the connection too. The spades can be tightened carefully, and all connections should be first cleaned,as with a wire brush, then given a light coat of grease designed for electrical terminations.

It's known as Noalox, and is available at most big box stores, electrical supply stores, and hardware stores. This will also make the bullet connectors fron Lucas work as they should, and last for as long as we'll worry about it.

I did all the connections on my Commando harness this way, and now the turn signals will blink at an idle.

Hugh: Proof the Dodo is not extinct
1964 Bonneville
A couple others
#104646 - 11/03/06 6:00 pm Re: Ring Connectors vs. Spade Connectors?  
liaison Offline
BritBike Forum member
liaison  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Hammond, LA
This from a recent Coast Guard Auxiliary publication on this subject: "Crimp wire connectors should be of the ring or captive spade type rather than spade-type connectors. Captive connectors are less likely to be disconnected by vibration." Captive spade connectors are sometimes called flanged spade connectors. The ends of the "spade arms" (for want of a better term) are bent so they won't slide out if the fastener loosens slightly. Personally I use ring terminals.

Hope this helps.

Brgds,

Jim

1966 Triumph T120R
19?1 Enfield India Bullet 350
2005 S*z*k* DL650 V-Strom

Brgds,

Jim

1966 Triumph T120R
2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
#104647 - 11/03/06 6:48 pm Re: Ring Connectors vs. Spade Connectors?  
Fisherman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Fisherman  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Tennessee
I see three considerations here. The first two, the ring connector wins hands down.

1. Ring connectors are better physical connections, I.E. they stay put better.
2. They have more physical contact area, thus are better electrical connections as well.

My third consideration has to do with ease of maintenance. I like to be able to troubleshoot electrical probs without using wrenches or screwdrivers so IMHO, with Lucas electrics, the spade connectors win hands down. I solder them on the wires and used shrink wrap on both male and female and leave enough shrink material to overlap a little. That way, I can disconnect without wrenches, screwdrivers or wire cutters, connect a meter, fix the problem and reconnect.

My .02, Bernie

'Never argue with an idiot, they'll bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience'

'72 TR6
'12 Hinckley Scrambler
'95 FLHTC Road Sofa
#104648 - 11/04/06 3:50 am Re: Ring Connectors vs. Spade Connectors?  
Mark Z Online content
BritBike Forum member
Mark Z  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Owego, NY, USA
There are good blade connectors and there are better ones. Some have a "tooth" in the middle to better grab the blade. Some have two sets of clamps, one for the bare wire and one for the insulation. Most are ok as long as they're not 40 years old, and you can tighten up the terminals with pliers if they feel loose going on. If you buy those they sell in automotive stores with the ugly plastic insulators, discard the insulator, crimp and solder the terminal, and use shrink tube to insulate.

Sometimes the connectivity problem is between the wire and the terminal, rather than between the terminal and the blade. This can be avoided by using a good crimper and/or by soldering.

Someone above mentioned British Wiring. When I wired my '66 A65, I bought all the wire and connectors from them. Among the connectors I bought were blade connectors with the clear rubbery boots, just like the originals. They also have the original-type inline snap connectors, which are also nice if they're new (the metal inside the couplers corrodes, weakens, and breaks after 25-30 years) - the couplers are black, slender, and inconspicuous, and the terminals will fit through any hole that the wire will fit through, facilitating disassembly if that should be required. There are two types of snap terminals available, crimp-on and solder-on. In lieu of having the correct crimper, I opted for the solder-on type. These are best soldered with a torch, and again, a bit of shrink tubing right behind the terminal gives you something to grab with the pliers should it become necessary to disconnect.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
#104649 - 11/04/06 3:56 am Re: Ring Connectors vs. Spade Connectors?  
Life member

Life member

Back on the mainland!
Thanks everyone for the great replies!!

Seems to be six of one/half dozen another......

btw - that spade that rattled loose was soldered/crimped and heat shrink wrapped......the little b*stard... :p

Guess John H. was right....that vibration is not character, it's balance factor!! wink

I'll let y'all know what I decided after the snow starts to fly and the maintenance begins....

Cheers,

Steve Prince

'77 T140J

#104650 - 11/04/06 4:45 am Re: Ring Connectors vs. Spade Connectors?  
EWebster Offline
BritBike Forum member
EWebster  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Mr. Prince, did you mean to say 'LUCAR'connector instead of 'Spade' connector?

#104651 - 11/04/06 5:03 am Re: Ring Connectors vs. Spade Connectors?  
Tom D. 67 Bonny Offline
BritBike Forum member
Tom D. 67 Bonny  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Manchester, Connecticut, USA
That's them!!!!!!!!!

Tom D. 1967 T120R Bonneville
Anyone know of a place that sells Loctite
by the quart?
#104652 - 11/04/06 5:30 am Re: Ring Connectors vs. Spade Connectors?  
John RGS Offline
BritBike Forum member
John RGS  Offline
BritBike Forum member

new jersey usa
Please refer to Mark Z's post above for the proper way to handle this deal. Anytime I look under a seat and see the rainbow of Lucar connectors it tells me that if not now then very soon some attention will be needed here. And it looks unprofessional . There are certainly better ways to wire a bike than that.

Bullet connectors can be saved from an old harness very easily. Put the entire end of the harness with the bullets on it in a vise and grab each bullet with a pair of needle nose pliers. Hit it with a torch and it will pop off easily. Tap it on the vise to dump the old solder and go on to the next. They can then be re-soldered on to whatever you need them for. Very simple and if soldered properly won't ever come off.

,_o
_ -\_<,
(*)/'(*)

NOPGS #2
#104653 - 11/04/06 4:23 pm Re: Ring Connectors vs. Spade Connectors?  
gearhead1951 Offline
BritBike Forum member
gearhead1951  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Greenock, Scotland
"Bullet" type connectors can be gotten from the same sources as the "Lucar" type.

They are available in fully covered form as well as the exposed type that are shown above on this topic

#104654 - 11/04/06 5:24 pm Re: Ring Connectors vs. Spade Connectors?  
Vox Teardrop Offline
BritBike Forum member
Vox Teardrop  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Indy
I always use insulated male and female spade connectors so there is no chance of shorting. Always twist your wires and then solder them before crimping. Buy one of those $100 professional crimp tools and then crimp away. Your local Lowes or Home Dept etc. should have what you need.

95' Triumph Speed Triple
72' Triumph T120
64' BSA Lightning Rocket
#104655 - 11/04/06 6:00 pm Re: Ring Connectors vs. Spade Connectors?  
John Healy Online content
John Healy  Online Content

Boston, Massachusetts
"Always twist your wires and then solder them before crimping"

I often find, that if I have the right connector for the wire I am using, twisting the wires makes it impossible to put the wire into the connector. Then the thought is to get the next size connector, which the wire will be loose in and the crimp ineffectual.

I like any connection done in a professional manner. It seems when I look at some of the wiring jobs on these motorcycles some are a bit more professional than others.

Now soldering can make a good connection, but one must remember vibration. If you heat the connector too much you will harden the copper wire a 1/4" or so away from the connector. Then you will most assuredly end up with a perfect connection and a broken wire at the most inappropriate time.

This is where shrink wrap saves the guy with the 1,000 watt soldering iron. A piece slipped over the crimp connector and extending back an inch or so, the bending caused by vibration is moved away from the point where you hardened the wire as you soldered it. This works well with crimp connectors also.

"Guess John H. was right....that vibration is not character, it's balance factor!! "

I have been looking for that illusive balance factor for 40 years...

#104656 - 11/05/06 12:35 am Re: Ring Connectors vs. Spade Connectors?  
Vox Teardrop Offline
BritBike Forum member
Vox Teardrop  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Indy
John, I only solder the wire before crimping. I do not solder the connector.

95' Triumph Speed Triple
72' Triumph T120
64' BSA Lightning Rocket
#104657 - 11/05/06 2:06 am Re: Ring Connectors vs. Spade Connectors?  
Life member

Life member

Back on the mainland!
Quote:
Originally posted by EWebster:
Mr. Prince, did you mean to say 'LUCAR'connector instead of 'Spade' connector?

Indeed I did.....them's the ones!!

BTW - Mr. Prince is my father, David, the man who bought my bike brand new, cared for it and entrusted it to me.........you can call me Steve wink

Cheers,

Steve Prince

p.s. Vox - Exactly! Solder the wire strands.....then crimp.........

'77 T140J

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.096s Queries: 14 (0.017s) Memory: 0.9390 MB (Peak: 1.2117 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-21 11:56:00 UTC