BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Coco
Coco
Regina Sk, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
209 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,642 guests, and 555 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery
9959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 193
koan58 99
Stuart 84
NickL 73
Popular Topics(Views)
438,944 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,290
Posts632,453
Members9,959
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#713989 - 11/05/17 11:57 pm Can't figure out 70 TR6C pipe/muffler set up  
Wally Balden Offline
BritBike Forum member
Wally Balden  Offline
BritBike Forum member

St. Louis, MO
I am trying to piece this back together and can't figure out how it fits. The PO had 67/68 pipes and mufflers. I replaced the pipes. I now need to replace the mufflers as the 67/68 are incorrect for the 70. Can't figure out how the frame bracket that is back by the mufflers fits in. There are holes to attach the mufflers but there is about a 3" gap. Plus. the bracket mid piece will impede the lower muffler from being attached. There is also a front bracket that attaches to the pipes but when I try and connect to the frame I have to muscle it to connect and am thinking the exhaust is hitting the motor. Doesn't seem right.

I have everything but the correct mufflers. However, even with the old mufflers I can tell the back frame bracket is not set up right. And this is a new bracket that fits the 70.

If I could post pics I would show but Photobucket is trying to get me to pay $400. Unless someone has a way around that fee.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#714021 - 11/06/17 12:27 pm Re: Can't figure out 70 TR6C pipe/muffler set up [Re: Wally Balden]  
dale sonny Online content
BritBike Forum member
dale sonny  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

rock hill ny
Hello Wally
The rear bracket should be a J shaped bracket. The lower part of the J mounts on the passenger peg mounting bolt. The upper part mounts to the frame tube running up to the seat. There is a bracket that goes around the frame tube. The J bracket follows the angle of the shock. It sounds like you might need the H pipe. It goes on the end of the pipes and the mufflers go onto the H pipe. It moves the mufflers back 3 or 4 inches. The piece that the wire heat shield mounts to comes out between the upper and lower mufflers. I may be interested in the pipes you took off if you are looking to get rid off them.

Dale

69 Daytona/ scrambler
02 BMW r1150r
assorted vintage dirt bike's
#714029 - 11/06/17 1:38 pm Re: Can't figure out 70 TR6C pipe/muffler set up [Re: Wally Balden]  
Wally Balden Offline
BritBike Forum member
Wally Balden  Offline
BritBike Forum member

St. Louis, MO
Just to confirm - the J bracket attaches to the passenger peg mounting bolt, not the open hole at the end of the hanger piece? I had it mounted to the open hole.
I have the H piece. I know the mount that holds the wire heat shield comes out between the upper and lower mufflers but it is way off line.

One more question. The bracket that attaches to both exhaust pipes and is then attached to the engine mount. For some reason this is a real muscle job and when I attach it the lower pipe is off line and runs directly into the mount tab that holds the wire heat shield. Not sure what is happening there.

#714030 - 11/06/17 1:48 pm Re: Can't figure out 70 TR6C pipe/muffler set up [Re: Wally Balden]  
Transgarp Online content
BritBike Forum member
Transgarp  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Quebec, Canada
TR6C 1967

[Linked Image]

TR6C 1969

[Linked Image]

H-junction for TR6C 1969 & Up, no H-junction in 1967

[Linked Image]

#714038 - 11/06/17 2:52 pm Re: Can't figure out 70 TR6C pipe/muffler set up [Re: Transgarp]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

rock hill ny
Yes, the bottom end mounts to the passenger foot peg bolt. That's how I have mine mounted and the mufflers line up perfectly. The gaurd bracket should line up once mounted to the peg bolt.

Last edited by dale sonny; 11/06/17 2:53 pm.

69 Daytona/ scrambler
02 BMW r1150r
#714057 - 11/06/17 5:23 pm Re: Can't figure out 70 TR6C pipe/muffler set up [Re: Wally Balden]  
Wally Balden Offline
BritBike Forum member
Wally Balden  Offline
BritBike Forum member

St. Louis, MO
Not sure what is happening but my pipes come out low from the exhaust. The front bracket doesn't line them up correctly. Guess I will start over and see if I did something when mounting to exhaust spigot.

#714062 - 11/06/17 6:15 pm Re: Can't figure out 70 TR6C pipe/muffler set up [Re: Wally Balden]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

rock hill ny
I didn't make a pipe mount yet. I clamped the pipes to the spigots and then put the H pipe and mufflers on. Mounted the mufflers to the bracket. I was going to make a pipe bracket but I'm the guy you sent pics of your exhaust. If we make a deal on your parts I will sell what i have and use yours. I really wanted the older style pipes but i couldn't find them.

69 Daytona/ scrambler
02 BMW r1150r
#714157 - 11/07/17 3:47 am Re: Can't figure out 70 TR6C pipe/muffler set up [Re: Wally Balden]  
KC in S.B. Online content
BritBike Forum member
KC in S.B.  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Santa Barbara, California
Wally, if your options offered run dry, do be aware that after market '70 TR6C exhaust mounts are available. I believe JRC has them, and likely CBS also. It's a Flimsy strap that also has a "finger" through the 2 mufflers to screw the basket on. Maybe these will help.

Attached Files TR6C muff mount top_600x450.JPGTR6C muff mount Vertical_450x600.JPGTR6C muff mount bottom_600x450.JPG

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 2 '56 Chevys
#714176 - 11/07/17 2:05 pm Re: Can't figure out 70 TR6C pipe/muffler set up [Re: Wally Balden]  
Wally Balden Offline
BritBike Forum member
Wally Balden  Offline
BritBike Forum member

St. Louis, MO
I have this bracket and that is where the issue seems to be - the lower muffler is in direct line with the "finger" - not below it. If I put the front strap on that attaches to the pipes it makes it worse. And the front strap is really tight to mount to the engine. I have all of the right parts so something is wrong somewhere along the line.

#714183 - 11/07/17 3:16 pm Re: Can't figure out 70 TR6C pipe/muffler set up [Re: Wally Balden]  
RPM Online content
BritBike Forum member
RPM  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Dallas Texas
The reproduction Triumph Hi pipes are the worst of the worst. The bends are horrible.The last few we restored I had to take the new reproduction pipes cut, bend and weld them to make them fit correctly. After buying repop pipes ,labor to make them fit and chrome work again it was an expensive set of pipes.
Leave the pipes off and try to mount just the h pipe and mufflers. You will see how bad the bends are when the pipes are not even close.

#714192 - 11/07/17 3:58 pm Re: Can't figure out 70 TR6C pipe/muffler set up [Re: Wally Balden]  
Irish Swede Online content
BritBike Forum member
Irish Swede  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Elburn, Ill. USA
Crap repro stuff is a continuing problem, and not destined to "go away" as long as the sellers don't care, and the buyers don't know any better UNTIL, of course, they receive the part and it doesn't, CANNOT fit without serious alteration (if at all.)

My question to sellers is always this: "Have you ACTUALLY MOUNTED this part on a REAL bike to see if it FITS?"

If the seller won't answer the question, I won't buy the item in question.
Regarding Triumph "nacelle" handlebars, one seller (probably RPM) was honest and told me every repro handlebar he used
for bikes he was restoring had to be cut in half at the center and extended a few inches, welded, then re-plated, to get the bars to fit properly when exiting the nacelle.

I appreciate that honesty. Rare, in eBay sellers.

#714217 - 11/07/17 7:42 pm Re: Can't figure out 70 TR6C pipe/muffler set up [Re: Wally Balden]  
Wally Balden Offline
BritBike Forum member
Wally Balden  Offline
BritBike Forum member

St. Louis, MO
This is not very encouraging. I have the appropriate mufflers arriving the end of the week. I will mount them up as you suggest and see how far off they are from fitting properly.

#714227 - 11/07/17 9:11 pm Re: Can't figure out 70 TR6C pipe/muffler set up [Re: Wally Balden]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

rock hill ny
The pipes I got from vintage triumph supply fit pretty good. I just ordered some from the UK and I hope they fit close enough so I can make them work without cutting. I'm no welder, thats for sure!!

69 Daytona/ scrambler
02 BMW r1150r

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 1.616s Queries: 16 (0.074s) Memory: 0.8894 MB (Peak: 1.1235 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-23 15:00:59 UTC