BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
sbolton
sbolton
Flint, Michigan
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
219 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,625 guests, and 587 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery
9959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 191
koan58 99
Stuart 86
NickL 73
Popular Topics(Views)
439,137 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,293
Posts632,499
Members9,959
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#712971 - 10/28/17 8:04 am Norton Commando Left Handlebar Switch  
gunner Online content
BritBike Forum member
gunner  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Farnham, Surrey, UK
I'm rebuilding a 72 Norton Commando 750 Roadster and need some advise on which handlebar switches to use.

Although I have wired an ignition and charging circuit there is no harness for the headlight or horn.

The bike came fitted with Brembo master cylinder with a rectangular brake fluid reservoir so there isnt any space for right hand switch gear.

I'm looking for a decent quality left hand switch which includes on/off for lights, hi/lo beam, horn and indicator switches. I have looked at some of the cheap switches on eBay but the quality seems rubbish.

Does anyone know of a good quality left hand handlebar switch with the above features? I'm happy to use switch gear from other bikes so long as the quality is good.

Some info on how to wire in a handlebar switch would be useful. From what I gather there are usually three a live inputs for the lights, horn and indicators but is there a standard wire colour for each as well as the output wires?

All info welcome.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#712990 - 10/28/17 12:51 pm Re: Norton Commando Left Handlebar Switch [Re: gunner]  
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi,

Originally Posted by gunner
I'm looking for a decent quality left hand switch which includes on/off for lights, hi/lo beam, horn and indicator switches.

If you must, Suzuki, possibly older ones. Afaik, everyone else thought putting on/off for lights and hi/lo beam in the the same switch cluster was a really facepalm idea; certainly I remember it was Suzukis that were notorious for riders hitting the on/off when they just wanted to turn hi to lo. eek

Just as a matter of interest, have you kept the standard '72 Commando ignition switch, or is that all different?

On my T100, I'm using the Sparx version of the Lucas switch cluster used on the T160 and '76-'78 Triumph twins' left 'bar - they have everything you want plus headlamp flash but not headlamp on/off - I'm using the '68-'70 3-position toggle switch in the headlamp shell for that. Unfortunately, the last Sparx cluster I bought (about three years ago), the quality was really crap. frown

info on how to wire in a handlebar switch would be useful. From what I gather there are usually three a live inputs for the lights, horn and indicators but is there a standard wire colour for each as well as the output wires?

One bike maker use the same wire colours as another? laughing Last time that happened was the British bike makers, but only because cheap was more important than 'intellectual property'. smile

Ime, you're right about the inputs; outputs will be: hi and lo from that switch, horn from the horn button and right 'n' left from the indicators switch.

If the cluster has hi/lo but not headlamp on/off, you might also find a separate output from the headlamp 'flash' button.

For actual wire colours, ime either know which bike the cluster came from and find its wiring diagram (relatively easy these days with the www) or, if you buy Chinese cheapie, expect to have to do your own wire identification, think you don't have to when you find a wiring diagram enclosed but then have to when you find the enclosed wiring diagram is for a different cluster ...

Hth.

Regards,

#712993 - 10/28/17 1:37 pm Re: Norton Commando Left Handlebar Switch [Re: gunner]  
kommando Online content
kommando  Online Content

Scotland
CNW use a Honda switch cluster and modifiy the wires to suit the Norton harness.

http://coloradonortonworks.com/part-categories/electrical/#post-208

[Linked Image]

You would still be missing lights on/off.

#713004 - 10/28/17 4:08 pm Re: Norton Commando Left Handlebar Switch [Re: gunner]  
gunner Online content
BritBike Forum member
gunner  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Farnham, Surrey, UK
Thanks for the info guys, I was deliberately looking for a combined lights on/off, hi/lo beam, horn & indicator switch, since this seemed the easiest approach. Agreed that its easy to turn the lights off by mistake but equally easy enough to turn on again.

I do have the original Lucas 3 position ignition switch which sits on the left hand side next to the side panel. I decided not to use this switch for two reasons as follows:-
- I don't like the idea of reaching down sideways to turn the lights on or off.
- I'm using a six way fuse box under the side panel, all power to the fuse box is managed by a single position on off ignition switch. My idea was that outputs from the fuse box lead up to the handlebar switch which then controls lights etc.

I might wire in a separate headlight on/off switch in the headlight shell like my A65 & B44, I could then use the Sparx or other unit.

The CNW switch looks the business so food for thought !

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
#713146 - 10/30/17 1:46 am Re: Norton Commando Left Handlebar Switch [Re: gunner]  
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi,

Agreed that its easy to turn the lights off by mistake but equally easy enough to turn on again.

In theory, yes. In reality, if you happen to do it when leaned over, it's otherwise completely dark and you're ... errr ... travelling quickly ... let's just say it's an excellent cure for constipation ...

Regards,

#713177 - 10/30/17 7:32 am Re: Norton Commando Left Handlebar Switch [Re: gunner]  
gunner Online content
BritBike Forum member
gunner  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Farnham, Surrey, UK
After some Googling I managed to find a US based manufacturer called K&S Technologies who produce a range of high quality switchgear some with DOT approval, see This Link.

I decided to go with their Black Universal Turn Signal Switch 12-0041B and found a seller on eBay UK, see This Link.

This switch comes complete with male & female block connectors which makes wiring a bit simpler. It does not have a lights on/off switch so I have decided to use a Lucas toggle switch in the headlight shell.

It also comes with instructions on what each of the wires are for which will save time trying to work this out with a multimeter. There is also a built in High Beam warning LED which should save having to wire in a headlight high beam warning.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
#713179 - 10/30/17 8:45 am Re: Norton Commando Left Handlebar Switch [Re: gunner]  
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi,

lights on/off switch
decided to use a Lucas toggle switch

Risking telling you things you know already:-

. 31788 and 35710 (used '68-'70 and on '78 T140E's) are 3-position (off, pilot/tail, head/tail), have a single input and can turn off the pilot when the headlamp's on and vice versa;

. 34419 (used '73-'78 on Triumphs except the T160) is 3-position but has separate inputs for pilot/tail and headlamp, so can't turn off the pilot when the headlamp's on;

. 34660 (T160 only) is 2-position on/off.

Hth.

Regards,

#713184 - 10/30/17 11:15 am Re: Norton Commando Left Handlebar Switch [Re: Stuart]  
L.A.B. Online content
BritBike Forum member
L.A.B.  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Norfolk, UK
Originally Posted by Stuart
34660 (T160 only) is 2-position on/off.

34660 was also the '71-'74 Commando lighting (headlight) switch.

https://andover-norton.co.uk/en/shop-drawing/187/head-lights-head-light-fittings
https://andover-norton.co.uk/en/shop-details/17438

Last edited by L.A.B.; 10/30/17 2:27 pm.
#713186 - 10/30/17 11:55 am Re: Norton Commando Left Handlebar Switch [Re: gunner]  
gunner Online content
BritBike Forum member
gunner  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Farnham, Surrey, UK
I went for a 2 position (on/off) Lucas Type SPB200 31909 Toggle Switch on eBay which should fit in the headlight "D" hole.

Since I never use side lights a simple on/off switch seemed the best approach.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.440s Queries: 15 (0.055s) Memory: 0.8605 MB (Peak: 1.0442 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-23 20:20:33 UTC