BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
DoubleDiamond
DoubleDiamond
Hampshire, England
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
211 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,775 guests, and 547 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 183
koan58 99
Stuart 88
NickL 63
Popular Topics(Views)
436,552 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,264
Posts632,045
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#711538 - 10/14/17 5:20 pm B50 clutch in a B44 problem  
AML Online content
BritBike Forum member
AML  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

NYC & Upstate NY
While the primary was open on my 67 Victor for rotor replacement, I decided to replace my worn clutch with parts I've bought over the last year: a B50 hub and copper thrust washer, new chainwheel and last week a B50 inner (without the lip). With my original clutch I had to add an extra 5th driven plate at the end. It all worked well but was tired: the teeth on the chainwheel were very worn, and the back of the spider needed to be machined, the slots were hammered, etc..

I assembled everything today with 5 plates each but even with the screws heads threaded way past the top of the lift plate it was totally slipping when kicking.
So I added a 6th driven plate on the outer end and that cured the problem and the bike started, and at least no slipping there.

The problem is the stack is now so tall the clutch adj. nut on the lift plate rubs on the back of the inspection cover and I can't tighten it up
My spring cups are 7/8", the springs have 8 coils and the old driven plates are .064 thick (the 4 new ones I bought turned about to be about .052)
Any ideas? Remove the extra plate and use heavier springs?
Something else?

Thanks,
Adam

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#711542 - 10/14/17 5:33 pm Re: B50 clutch in a B44 problem [Re: AML]  
kommando Online content
kommando  Online Content

Scotland
I think the B50 primary cover was deeper, but one of those would be expensive. You could shorten the clutch rod or is your clutch lever and the ratchet on the outer primary cover set correctly.

#711587 - 10/14/17 10:14 pm Re: B50 clutch in a B44 problem [Re: AML]  
AML Online content
BritBike Forum member
AML  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

NYC & Upstate NY
TheB50 cover, if it's deeper, might cause problems with the '67 foot rest arms. My clutch arm is at ~1:30, and only about 1/16" of the rod extends beyond the clutch nut. I'm using an alloy lifter plate but it is exactly the same depth as stock. I'll try a set of EdV heavy duty springs I have next and if that doesn't work I'll mix and match my all my springs and cups (7/8 & 1") and hopefully something will work without the extra plate.
Thanks Kommando

#711596 - 10/15/17 12:04 am Re: B50 clutch in a B44 problem [Re: AML]  
Peter Quick Online content
Sponsor
Peter Quick  Online Content

Sponsor

Jaffrey, NH, USA
I wondered about the speculation that B50 primary' covers are deeper than earlier covers. Realize that all of the OIF singles from 71 to 73 had the 5 plate clutch with thrust washer. The B25, B50 and T25. So I got more than 10 covers from the mid 60's on, something from everything, TR25W, B25, C15, B44, B50. I could measure no discernable differences so as far as I can tell that myth is busted. Also realize that the clutch parts are identical save for a transition at some point to deeper spring cups. The chain wheel has the same dimensions on all models and the center is the same height as well as the rear retaining plate and nut stud lengths. So if none of the part are any "taller" overall why would the primary' need to be deeper?

I have had problems with alloy pressure plates and slipping clutches so I don't bother with them any more. I have had a couple slippy clutches that the only remedy was fitting Surflex plates. The super heavy duty springs suck to use and should not be necessary in a B44.

Peter

check out: www.bsaunitsingles.com
2500 BSA part numbers with inventory in stock just for the unit singles!
#711694 - 10/16/17 2:34 am Re: B50 clutch in a B44 problem [Re: AML]  
koncretekid Offline
BritBike Forum member
koncretekid  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Nova Scotia, Canada
A 5 plate B50 clutch in good condition should not slip on a B44, and the 6th plate cannot usually be added without skiving off the "corks" off the back of the first plate. The 6th friction plate would add another .117"-.120" or so which probably creates the clearance issue.

How thick are your friction plates? If the hub and chainwheel are used, did you file the slots to allow the plates to slide in and out easily? Also, I'm surprised your clutch rod was long enough to lift the pressure plate at all with 6 plates. I've had to make longer clutch release rods to accommodate the 6 plate conversions.

And lastly, what kind of oil are you using in your primary? Some new oils are too slippery for the clutch, so make sure you are using oil designed for use in the primary.

I think the primary cover on my B50 race bike with the 6 plate conversion is from a B44, and no issues with clearance.

Tom

Life's uncertain - go fast now!
#711696 - 10/16/17 3:23 am Re: B50 clutch in a B44 problem [Re: AML]  
AML Online content
BritBike Forum member
AML  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

NYC & Upstate NY
Tom,
I thought the issue was my friction plates are .134 (and I thought stock thickness is 0.167?)
I did try Peters suggestion to use the stock lift plate (and not my alloy one) and all seems to be working well with 5/5 plates.
I'll see if that holds up.
Thanks all
Adam

#711771 - 10/17/17 3:18 am Re: B50 clutch in a B44 problem [Re: AML]  
koncretekid Offline
BritBike Forum member
koncretekid  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Nova Scotia, Canada
Adam,
All the friction plates I have measured have been .120" or less. So even with 5 of the .134" thick ones, you would be about .070" thicker than my clutches which could be part of the problem. I have read about the stock .167" (Rupert's?) but have never seen one that thick. I have some new Surflex ones out in the shop which I may get to measuring tomorrow to confirm. If your clutch is now working fine, then so much the better.
Tom

Life's uncertain - go fast now!

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.577s Queries: 15 (0.074s) Memory: 0.8361 MB (Peak: 1.0010 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-20 17:15:47 UTC