BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Excalibur
Excalibur
New Zealand
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
207 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,752 guests, and 544 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 186
koan58 99
Stuart 88
NickL 63
Popular Topics(Views)
436,514 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,263
Posts632,035
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#706818 - 08/31/17 12:43 pm Speed Report  
pushrod tom Offline
BritBike Forum member
pushrod tom  Offline
BritBike Forum member

new jersey usa
Any Reports from the salt?? PRT

#706852 - 08/31/17 4:42 pm Re: Speed Report [Re: pushrod tom]  
koncretekid Offline
BritBike Forum member
koncretekid  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Nova Scotia, Canada
Tom,
I'll re-post the report I just put on the Landracing forum for your comments:

This spring, I got my old K&L dyno working very well with new software from Performance Trends and used hardware from Jack Illiff. I had to build a starter mechanism which consisted of a Dodge starter motor with a polyurethane drive wheel mounted on a shaft behind the rotating drum. It worked very well and started my bike every time with no problems. So then the only problem was slowing the drum down which still requires the use of the bike's rear brake. Not too bad with the disc brake as the pads are easily installed and cheap, which I already had to do once. I didn't know the rotational moment of inertia of the drum, so I worked backwards using a 100% stock Yamaha SR500 which was claimed by Yamaha to have 31.5 hp. When I got the dyno reading to indicate 31 hp for the Yamaha, I started testing a couple of my other bikes.

I then put on a stock BSA B50 with a new piston, and after having to retune that, I managed about the same hp as the Yamaha, though BSA claimed 34 hp. A stock BSA B44 with a new piston registered 28 hp, so I felt I was getting a reasonable number. I then put the land speed bike on and got an amazing 62 hp. To qualify that number, the last time I had the bike on Dan Dunn's Dynojet dyno, it only registered 50 hp and I hadn't made any significant changes, so the 62 hp number is "happy horsepower", but it's all relative when I make changes, and it is nearly twice the hp of a stock B50.

I then made about 72 pulls, trashing 3 clutch rods on the coast down, and only finding about 2 more horsepower with multiple intake, exhaust, tappet radius, jetting, and timing changes, so I must be close to the limit for this motor. I did find that the previously maximum hp rpm of 6900 could be increased by simply revving the motor to 7300 or 7400 rpm. So I added one more tooth for the Bonneville run.

The first day of racing at the BMST I spent helping my friend Doug with his Buell Blast powered 650 APG which has been a bear to get to run without a huge flat spot. We improved his run for Monday by 15mph so we were headed in the right direction, but after a 3rd change, the bike twisted on his towing trailer which is only about 3 feet wide, flipped over and broke his handlebar clip-on as well as the mounting bracket, and flattened one of the trailer tires and bent the wheel. So it was the end of the meet for Doug. To add insult to injury, he broke a brake line on his truck when he was leaving and could not find a replacement in Wendover, so is coming home with one brake line pinched off. It's a 10 hour drive in the best of conditions, so it will be a long trip for him.

So on Monday morning, I got my first run on the newly geared Beeza. 144 mph with a detour at the 5-1/2 mile mark around the left side of the kilometer timing lights, off the throttle, back onto the track in time to catch the mile timing lights. I may be the only competitor to have a "mile" speed with no "kilometer" speed. The track was rough enough that when I hit a series of bumps or a soft spot, I lost all vision with my riding position and no rear suspension. The motor was spinning like a top, so needless to say I was a bit disappointed with my attempt at making the straight line into a slalom course! I'm pretty sure I had to be topping 150 to have that 144 average even with the detour. Tom Mellor told me he had the same experience on his bike at nearly the same spot, so I felt somewhat vindicated.

I lined up on Tuesday morning after the riders' meeting, but ended up 16th in line just behind Bo (Wobbly Walrus), so got relegated to the 2nd queue. By 11:30 I had not moved and inch, and realizing that even after I would get to the line, there would be two other starting points to run before me, so probably a couple more hours, I got very discouraged. Then I thought about the course which probably had not gotten any smoother and decided that risking another off-track adventure could be dangerous so I packed up my gear and came home yesterday. After speaking to Bo about his run with full suspension, it reinforced my decision to back out.

As soon as I got the bike on the lift this morning, the wheels in my head started turning. I will be adding rear suspension, as we may well have to live with poor salt conditions in the future.

Tom

P.S. Or just move the bike back east and run at Loring! No problems with rigid rear there.

Last edited by koncretekid; 09/01/17 1:48 pm. Reason: correction

Life's uncertain - go fast now!
#706855 - 08/31/17 5:48 pm Re: Speed Report [Re: pushrod tom]  
dandruff Offline
BritBike Forum member
dandruff  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Los Angeles
My Mother told me if I don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything.
I think that is why the reports on Speed Week are so sparse. I was there all week to tune a 650 iron head Triumph engine I built a few years ago for my friend from Switzerland. It was an exercise in futility. Our first run was 7150ft corrected altitude with 33% humidity, 90 degrees. Not too great for going fast. Anyway we pounded sand for a week tuning some new TT carbs, and did not manage to go faster than last year. The monoblocs went back on and our best speed average was 118, we got 126 last year with the same set up. Salt conditions were not the best, but some people still managed to get records.
Tyler from Lowbrow Customs was out there with his iron head Triumph, his bike looked and sounded great, but I think his best speed was 120. I don't think it was lack of power, I think it was just hard to get the power to the ground.
Wes White from Four Aces had a few good runs on his modified nitro Pre Unit 500 until he broke something.

Alp Sungurtekin of Alp Racing and Designs was there with his new "partial" streamliner. I think he had to rebuild his engine after two runs but came back a few days later to set a new record of 135.724 in the 650 Partially streamlined Vintage Fuel class.
Martin Wilmott from the UK set a new record in the 500 vintage blown fuel class, but it is a far cry from how fast he goes on the drag strip.
George Nachtsheim set a new record in the Modified pushrod fuel class on Danny Macias' old Unit 350 Triumph.
Anyone who missed racing at this Speed Week did not miss much, as the event did not seem to be great for British bikes going fast.
Despite all the complaints about the salt conditions, the Speed Demon streamliner pulled off a 438 mph average mile speed with an exit speed of 453 mph! Not bad for a 441 cubic inch V8...
That's about all the news to report other than the SCTA did a fantastic job putting on this event.

#706877 - 08/31/17 8:26 pm Re: Speed Report [Re: pushrod tom]  
kevin roberts Online content
BritBike Forum member
kevin roberts  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
tom, if you went the wrong way around the lights, then you were headed straight at them at a bad moment.

I've hit cones at over 100, but those are soft.

Into the distance a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a windswept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
A fatal attraction is holding me fast how
How can I escape this irresistible grasp?
#706881 - 08/31/17 8:46 pm Re: Speed Report [Re: kevin roberts]  
koncretekid Offline
BritBike Forum member
koncretekid  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Nova Scotia, Canada
Yes, Kevin, I could have taken down the poles and put the lights out. Luckily, they are not timing lights as such, but a beam of some kind that shoots across the track to the receiver on the other side. At Bonneville, it's the time between the starting and the finishing "lights" that determines your speed. There are lights at the beginning and end of both the mile and the kilometer because FIM records are for the kilometer instead of the mile. If the the down run exceeds the existing record, you get to make a return run in the opposite direction and it's the average speed that determines the record, or not. I would have had to exceed my 149.9 mph record to qualify for a return run. So I needed 5-1/2 more mph to qualify for a chance to make a return run. But even then, it would have been scary.

As for SCTA Speedweeks, it was reported there was a record number of spins that really messed up the course. Alp made a down run of over 150 mph, but his return run was way down which resulted in the 135 mph record. Alp also said he wasn't coming to BMST because he knew the course conditions bad.

Tom

Last edited by koncretekid; 08/31/17 8:50 pm. Reason: added content

#706918 - 09/01/17 8:06 am Re: Speed Report [Re: pushrod tom]  
Mark Parker Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mark Parker  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Bega NSW Australia
Tom what have you done to the B50 to get that performance? Do you know what sort of flow you have through the head?

mark
#706937 - 09/01/17 1:05 pm Re: Speed Report [Re: pushrod tom]  
pushrod tom Offline
BritBike Forum member
pushrod tom  Offline
BritBike Forum member

new jersey usa
OT, Thanks for the news! The guys are in Maine now. (wish we were too). Hey! Maybe we could go faster if we used your dyno?? Also, I would vote for seeing your bike back on the east coast.

We are engaged in working on the bikes for next years festivities. It's a long road. Cheers, PRT

#706941 - 09/01/17 1:49 pm Re: Speed Report [Re: pushrod tom]  
koncretekid Offline
BritBike Forum member
koncretekid  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Nova Scotia, Canada
Mark,
My notes are in the shop and I'll check the flow numbers. Ed Valiket did the work and I believe the final number was around 129 cfm at 10" up from 89 cfm for the stock head. The biggest improvement you can do to the B50 is to enlarge the intake passage. Mine has been hogged out to 40mm from the stock 30mm which requires massive surgery and rewelding because there is not enough metal on the stock head to do this. The rest of the specs include an HSR42 Mikuni carb, Megacycle X4 cam, chrome moly pushrods, titanium valves, RD valve springs, JE 92mm piston with close to 14/1 CR, 1-7/8" exhaust. This motor is optimized for landspeed racing so may not be suitable for any other form of racing or street riding. I built the frame from scratch and the fairing started as a 175 CanAm front fairing but with the remainder made by a local boat builder to my specs. I have ridden it at the Salt Flats since 2011 with no rear suspension, but deterioration of the salt is making it difficult to get smooth. The fairing is responsible for 20% increase in speed from the naked version.

And Tom, you can bring your bike out to Colorado anytime and I'll guarantee you a higher hp number on my dyno! (But you might need new brakes after a few runs as it has no brakes.)

OT

#707020 - 09/02/17 10:57 am Re: Speed Report [Re: pushrod tom]  
Blown Income Offline
BritBike Forum member
Blown Income  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Edgewater, Md
OT, that's amazing numbers your getting out of a B50.

One of these years I will make it back to Bonneville. World of Speed is coming up soon, I heard they will have 2 courses, 1 long and 1 short. Sounds like the short 3 mile will be the as Speed Week and the long will be 7-1/2 mile on the west side of the pits. Evidently this area has been under water for years now but is currently dried out with good salt, may have a chance for some good number here.

I need to get mine ready for next year, I didn't even run or even start the bike this year due to studying/ testing and passed my test for becoming a certified welding inspector and also getting things ready for our newest little addition to the family in the end of November.

1955 BSA Bantam D1 Plunger
1956 BSA A10RR Street and LSR Bike
1961 BSA C15S
1966 BSA spitfire
1969 Triumph T100C
1970 Triumph TR6R
1972 BSA Lightning LSR Bike
1974 Triumph T150V
#707034 - 09/02/17 1:57 pm Re: Speed Report [Re: pushrod tom]  
Mark Parker Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mark Parker  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Bega NSW Australia
Who else thinks Chris should at least dyno the Lightning this year? My friends at work keep asking me about it.

OT that's a great improvement Ed's made on the head. It makes such a difference. It's amazing how well you have it going.

An interesting thing I was told about A65s, in 1970 the people at Umberslade Hall put together an oil in frame Firebird for photos, the '71 models were still several months away from production, and one of the engineers responsible for the engine said that the cylinder head had been machined ‘’to drawing’’, something that Small Heath had never done to any of its production bikes.

Run on the dyno the engine had recorded a peak output of around 8bhp more than the production motors.

I wonder if the B50 heads were machined different to the original port design as well?

mark
#707055 - 09/02/17 4:36 pm Re: Speed Report [Re: Mark Parker]  
Hillbilly bike Online content
BritBike Forum member
Hillbilly bike  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Running from demons in WNY
Koncrete Kid Tom pointed out that dyno numbers are only really relevant to check the engine tuning for improvements........My 650 Triumph speed improvements have come from lowering the RPM of the engine through the traps...This makes me think, for LSR, that peak HP is less important than the RPM where both HP and torque are highest...

650 Triumph modified production LSR record holder 133.1 MPH... Twin 650 engine Triumph LSR that goes sorta fast...
#707092 - 09/03/17 1:44 am Re: Speed Report [Re: Hillbilly bike]  
koncretekid Offline
BritBike Forum member
koncretekid  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Nova Scotia, Canada
"This makes me think, for LSR, that peak HP is less important than the RPM where both HP and torque are highest..."

Maximum torque is usually about 1500 rpm less than maximum horsepower. But your bike holds the record, showing that the proof is in the results. Bonneville is the Great White Dyno!

#707107 - 09/03/17 4:53 am Re: Speed Report [Re: pushrod tom]  
konon Online content
BritBike Forum member
konon  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Iowa
Pushrod Tom, did you find out why your Hornet was pulling the cylinder studs?

1968 BSA Firebird
1200 HD
XS 1100
1971 Rickman 125
#707121 - 09/03/17 10:17 am Re: Speed Report [Re: Mark Parker]  
Blown Income Offline
BritBike Forum member
Blown Income  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Edgewater, Md
Mark,

I'm going try and get her on the dyno before the end of the year, just need to make time which this year I have had very little of.

1955 BSA Bantam D1 Plunger
1956 BSA A10RR Street and LSR Bike
1961 BSA C15S
1966 BSA spitfire
1969 Triumph T100C
1970 Triumph TR6R
1972 BSA Lightning LSR Bike
1974 Triumph T150V
#707126 - 09/03/17 11:22 am Re: Speed Report [Re: koncretekid]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Originally Posted by koncretekid
"This makes me think, for LSR, that peak HP is less important than the RPM where both HP and torque are highest..."

Maximum torque is usually about 1500 rpm less than maximum horsepower. But your bike holds the record, showing that the proof is in the results. Bonneville is the Great White Dyno!

i should have said the highest average of HP and Torque.....On the Superflow dyno, the engine torque peaks at 5100 rpm,the HP 7100.....At 6900 rpm the torque is still 90 percent of peak and the HP is 95 percent of peak...The bike is fastest at 6900 rpm...Of course the dyno is not the track and the engine is tuned for torque not peak HP...

650 Triumph modified production LSR record holder 133.1 MPH... Twin 650 engine Triumph LSR that goes sorta fast...
#707138 - 09/03/17 1:55 pm Re: Speed Report [Re: pushrod tom]  
Mark Parker Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mark Parker  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Bega NSW Australia
Chris, I may be able to get my A65 on a dyno toward the end of October. I'll need some instructions about that because I've never done that with a bike. Like will it be better to stick a wheel with an old tyre on the thing rather than use my very new good back tyre?

Hillbilly if that's the case there must be a reason, are you dynoing it using an inertia dyno or holding it at load points. If it's inertia maybe its running what you have got to slightly higher RPM figures. EG if something is accelerating hard, does it cease accelerating the instant drive is removed or will it still pick up a little speed? Or could it be a slight delay in the drive line or measuring apparatus that puts the reading at slightly higher RPM? Theoretically you should have more power to drive speed at the HP peak.

mark
#707145 - 09/03/17 2:30 pm Re: Speed Report [Re: pushrod tom]  
pushrod tom Offline
BritBike Forum member
pushrod tom  Offline
BritBike Forum member

new jersey usa
In Reply, My base studs appeared to have unscrewed themselves. Maybe not tight enough in the case? In the future will tighten and use medium loctite. Happened another time where the nuts blew off! Shitty nuts and a large dose of N2O!
Mark, I don't think you will be shredding a tire on the drum. It will get warm. Use 40 lbs. pressure. Make sure your chain is in good shape and well oiled. We do not strap the rear of the bike down it just produces more heat , adds inconsistency and robs hp. There are cases where it is nessesary. High hp (200+) drag bikes, etc. but not our old iron!
Since you are tuning a street bike part throttle is a concern and that produces very little stress. Full throttle pulls are fairly short, timewise. Hold the throttle on till a bit past power peak. That way you will get a good 'picture'. Set jets for best power at peak hp. I don't think it is a good idea to use top gear at max revs. Too much wheel speed. Maybe a gear that will limit wheel speed to 120mph? Oh, there's more but as one of the supreme tinkerers, you will get totally wrapped up in the process!! I hope you find a guy who is sympathetic and knowledgeable in tuning the antiques. Cheers, PRT

#707146 - 09/03/17 2:38 pm Re: Speed Report [Re: Mark Parker]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Originally Posted by Mark Parker
Chris, I may be able to get my A65 on a dyno toward the end of October. I'll need some instructions about that because I've never done that with a bike. Like will it be better to stick a wheel with an old tyre on the thing rather than use my very new good back tyre?

Hillbilly if that's the case there must be a reason, are you dynoing it using an inertia dyno or holding it at load points. If it's inertia maybe its running what you have got to slightly higher RPM figures. EG if something is accelerating hard, does it cease accelerating the instant drive is removed or will it still pick up a little speed? Or could it be a slight delay in the drive line or measuring apparatus that puts the reading at slightly higher RPM? Theoretically you should have more power to drive speed at the HP peak.

Superflow dyno is both eddy current and inertia....For jetting purposes it's run on the inertia like a Dynojet. The the engine will pull cleanly to 7500 rpm but power falls off rapidly after 7200 rpm....I run the engine leaner than other guys, this might be a factor...The bike made has not been on the dyno for several years but keeps going faster when the gearing is numerically lower. I think what is really going on is what happens on the dyno is not what's happening on the track........ By the way, when the bike was run on the dyno set up for eddy current, the power figures were about 7 percent lower than inertia...
The engine makes a lot of torque but not so much HP...

#707235 - 09/04/17 7:02 am Re: Speed Report [Re: Hillbilly bike]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike
..The bike made has not been on the dyno for several years but keeps going faster when the gearing is numerically lower.

you wouldn't be able to do that without horrific torque. i think your motor breathes like an elephant.

I first had my 650 geared 36/68 primary and 20/43 drive, which would give 132.9 at 7000, I think. preliminary head, carbs, and pipes. would only do 112 at 5900. I didn't have the torque to pull that numerically low gearing.

I swapped head, carbs, and pipes, and the motor pulled 19/43 to 128mph. I'm not sure what to expect if I go back to 20/43 next time. if i can find the torque somehow it might do better.

#707243 - 09/04/17 9:36 am Re: Speed Report [Re: pushrod tom]  
Mark Parker Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mark Parker  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Bega NSW Australia
Tom I'm just interested to see what it's making as it's going really nice at the moment. Second is geared for 104, 3rd for 128 @ 7650rpm I'm not sure where power is going to drop off, if it was above that it would never get used anyway.

mark
#707253 - 09/04/17 10:51 am Re: Speed Report [Re: kevin roberts]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Originally Posted by kevin roberts
..The bike made has not been on the dyno for several years but keeps going faster when the gearing is numerically lower.

you wouldn't be able to do that without horrific torque. i think your motor breathes like an elephant.

I first had my 650 geared 36/68 primary and 20/43 drive, which would give 132.9 at 7000, I think. preliminary head, carbs, and pipes. would only do 112 at 5900. I didn't have the torque to pull that numerically low gearing.

I swapped head, carbs, and pipes, and the motor pulled 19/43 to 128mph. I'm not sure what to expect if I go back to 20/43 next time. if i can find the torque somehow it might do better.

Here's the dyno print out again for my bike three years ago.The air /fuel readings is not accurate and I don't pay attention to it anyways....Notice the flat power curve from 6600-7000 rpm.....The "DJ" power in the first column is inertia calculation like a Dynojet. The "Wheel Power" is actual Superflow dyno eddy current measurements... The engine does make torque at higher rpm's but the engine is not all that powerful overall....There's more to LSR naked frame bikes that HP readings from the dyno. Every individual component must contribute and I believe my rider is a major part of it..... wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#707255 - 09/04/17 11:42 am Re: Speed Report [Re: Hillbilly bike]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
...There's more to LSR naked frame bikes that HP readings from the dyno. Every individual component must contribute and I believe my rider is a major part of it..... wink

i think so too. he's really good to get 133.131. i don't know of any naked 650s that have done that. alp has only gotten 131.332 with a stock frame. with his altered bike, his highest on gasoline is 133.464. australia is still only 116, i think.

that makes your production framed 650 the fastest gasoline machine there is.

Moderated by  Allan Gill 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.261s Queries: 15 (0.007s) Memory: 0.9719 MB (Peak: 1.3091 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-20 15:15:58 UTC