BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Excalibur
Excalibur
New Zealand
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
211 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,756 guests, and 545 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 186
koan58 99
Stuart 88
NickL 63
Popular Topics(Views)
436,514 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,263
Posts632,035
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#703449 - 07/31/17 2:28 pm Walkabout 2017  
Semper Gumby Offline
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Atlanta, GA USA
On the road again...

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
Parking lot Elf in training
#703464 - 07/31/17 4:54 pm Re: Walkabout 2017 [Re: Semper Gumby]  
No Name Man Online content
Life member
No Name Man  Online Content

Life member

SE Ohio
Where to...off to the OVBSAOC rally?

69 A65T
71 B50T
85 K100RS
54/59 A10SR
69 B44VS
71 A65FS
Too much moderation is bad for you.

#703519 - 08/01/17 1:11 am Re: Walkabout 2017 [Re: No Name Man]  
Semper Gumby Offline
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Atlanta, GA USA
Cape Cod. Family stuff. My dad passed away in February. He wants his ashes put in Pleasent Bay on cape cod near his favorite golf course and fishing. Seems like I'm always heading north about this time.

I see the faithful are all gathering in Ohio.

Tonight im at the blowing rock inn with the rocket 3. Tomorrow an i81 slab ride. Today was Glorious. Saw one rattle snek (uncrushef), a bunch of turkeys, a bear cub and moma bear, one deer and one groundhog.

It was actually cold on the blueridge parkway!

Last edited by Semper Gumby; 08/01/17 1:16 am.

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
#703521 - 08/01/17 1:26 am Re: Walkabout 2017 [Re: Semper Gumby]  
Semper Gumby Offline
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Atlanta, GA USA
Id post pics but i see photobucket has ransomed our photos behind a paywall...😡

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
#703534 - 08/01/17 5:40 am Re: Walkabout 2017 [Re: Semper Gumby]  
BeezaBryan Online content
BritBike Forum member
BeezaBryan  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Derbyshire UK
Good to know you're on walkabout, not so good that poobucket has stopped us seeing you progress.
I am now using https://postimages.org/
Seems to be OK for my small needs

[Linked Image]

Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures

It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Bryan
BSA Owners Club UK
Ohio Valley BSAOC USA

#703550 - 08/01/17 11:00 am Re: Walkabout 2017 [Re: BeezaBryan]  
Semper Gumby Offline
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Atlanta, GA USA
Love the hat Bryan!

I saw a bunch of David P broken links on the British in the Blueridge thread and assumed.... Here is from my photobucket.

Morning Light - Blessings on all.

[Linked Image]

In the parking lot of The Blowing Rock Inn. Not the same without all the peoples about but nice nevertheless.

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
#703557 - 08/01/17 11:33 am Re: Walkabout 2017 [Re: Semper Gumby]  
Semper Gumby Offline
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Atlanta, GA USA
Long day ahead. I get one last bit of the Blueridge Parkway up to Fancy Gap and then up i77. Then My plan is the straight slab shot up i81 and then over to i84 into Connecticut. And then down CT25 to NewHaven and out to the Cape. It is an ambitious day. I've got video off my helmet cam from yesterday. Sorry I missed the bear cub and it's mom. The video tagging was turned off at the time. I have yet to figure out the technology to get it off the memory card onto my Ipad. But I have a possible solution with a Lightning card reader. I just don't have it yet.

[Linked Image]

And a deer!

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
#703559 - 08/01/17 12:08 pm Re: Walkabout 2017 [Re: Semper Gumby]  
Semper Gumby Offline
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Atlanta, GA USA
All loaded up - Away.

[Linked Image]

Obligatory flower pic from infront of Blowing Rock Inn

[Linked Image]

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
#703565 - 08/01/17 1:37 pm Re: Walkabout 2017 [Re: Semper Gumby]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Just for the benefit of folks that don't have a lot of experience with this, there aren't very many people in the world who can load up an OIF Thunderbolt or a Rocket III and ride it up the mountain roads and Interstates from Atlanta to Cape Cod and back like this.

More people have probably climbed K2 than done that ....

Looking forward to seeing how it all comes out! He's probably at my latitude on I-81 (around Lexington VA) right now .....

Me, I'm off for another shakedown run on the old A10, getting ready for the off to OVBSAOC on Thursday ....

Lannis

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#703569 - 08/01/17 2:43 pm Re: Walkabout 2017 [Re: Semper Gumby]  
No Name Man Online content
Life member
No Name Man  Online Content

Life member

SE Ohio
Hey, riding an A10 from Virginia to Ohio isn't something everybody can do either. Or would consider doing.

69 A65T
71 B50T
85 K100RS
54/59 A10SR
69 B44VS
71 A65FS
Too much moderation is bad for you.

#703570 - 08/01/17 2:43 pm Re: Walkabout 2017 [Re: Semper Gumby]  
BeezaBryan Online content
BritBike Forum member
BeezaBryan  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Derbyshire UK
Originally Posted by Semper Gumby
Love the hat Bryan!

I saw a bunch of David P broken links on the British in the Blueridge thread and assumed.... Here is from my photobucket.

Morning Light - Blessings on all.

[Linked Image]

In the parking lot of The Blowing Rock Inn. Not the same without all the peoples about but nice nevertheless.

That hat Bill is from a bar in Philadelphia that we came across at the end of our first US visit back in 2006 and it is there that I got a taste for Yuengling brews beerchug

Thanks for the pics & words, following you journey courtesy of google street view bigt

Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures

It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Bryan
BSA Owners Club UK
Ohio Valley BSAOC USA

#703608 - 08/01/17 8:39 pm Re: Walkabout 2017 [Re: No Name Man]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted by No Name Man
Hey, riding an A10 from Virginia to Ohio isn't something everybody can do either. Or would consider doing.

That's true, but I guess what amazes me is SG's ability to put 8 or 10 or 12 hours at a stretch in the cockpit of an old Brit.

It's one do-able thing to ride an old Brit a long way in a long time (which is my method). It's also a similar do-able thing to ride a big faired comfy modern bike for 800 miles in a day or more. Regular people can do that if the devil, schedules, and weather drives, and listen to the radio or set the cruise control or turn on the grip heat to make life easier.

It's a red herring of a different color to ride an old Brit 800 miles a day! Other than SG, and Don and Shirley Danmeier, who are just arriving back home in California from attending the INOA rally riding two-up on their Commando on a 7000 mile outing, I don't know of anyone who does it on a regular basis. Some people may do it and not talk about it, but I'll wager they're rare!

Lannis

#703727 - 08/02/17 9:55 pm Re: Walkabout 2017 [Re: Lannis]  
Semper Gumby Offline
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Atlanta, GA USA
Ooogh. Made it. Arrived Cape Cod this morning at 0530 local. On top of the fog and low 100 foot over cast first light was peaking. Had to adjust chain twice as it stretched! The really nice thing about the Rocket three is no matter where you are there is power to spare. New chain coming Friday from Bubba's Motorsports. For a guy from Georgia it's nice to find a motorcycle guy named Bubba just off Cape. DID makes a slightly wider narrow link 530 x ring chain that I'm going to try when I get home.

I'm averaging 42-45mpg at about 65 mph out on the slab. In the hills in third gear it ran as high as 50mpg. So right now I'm getting 190 miles between fuel stops with I think it was 4.1 gallons added the last time. Beno said I should make a bagger out of it a la the Thunderwing but I'm liking the current stock configuration.

Route driven was 1277 miles (by the gps pasted to the the tach glass). I85 to I985 to the old Cornelia highway by way of the Rabbittown Cafe past Curihee mountain to Tocca Ga. Then up to Ga184 to Travelers Rest into South Carolina. To Unity Church Road - which is one my favorite secret dragons. Lots of twisty curves with no traffic or squids. Then because I couldn't remember the crossing road and because I couldn't work the New to me old Garmin Zumo, I turned south on US76 to through Westminster to SC11 turned north to SC28 To Walahalla SC (which is a lovely town full of an ancient prosperity well preserved). From there north on 28 to SC107 up to the mountain crossover to SC130 which turns shortly into NC281 up to US64. Right turn down to NC215 where I had hoped to get BBQ from a food truck but he wasn't there. Up NC215 to the Blueridge Parkway.

The Blueridge Parkway is my cathedral of Gods Beauty on Earth. All Gods creatures were in view. The Rattle Snek in the middle of the road under the car just in front of me (I may have video), the Moma bear and her new cub (camera turned off for that one!!!), a hawk and a Groundhog looking at something off to the side. I had lunch at Asheville and decided to keep going on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Somehow I ended up in Blowing Rock and what do you know, they had a room. Dinner at the speckeled trout and breakfast at Southern comfort.

Moar later.

Last edited by Semper Gumby; 08/03/17 1:38 am.

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
#703813 - 08/03/17 3:26 pm Re: Walkabout 2017 [Re: Semper Gumby]  
bodine031 Offline
BritBike Forum member
bodine031  Offline
BritBike Forum member

melbourne florida
Well now you know the secret of Brit Triples they make really a good sport touring motorbike!!! Glad all went good. Chain stretch? kinda a non-issue any more what brand on the R-3 now. Have a safe ride home.

#703825 - 08/03/17 5:35 pm Re: Walkabout 2017 [Re: bodine031]  
Semper Gumby Offline
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Atlanta, GA USA
Originally Posted by bodine031
Chain stretch? kinda a non-issue any more what brand on the R-3 now. Have a safe ride home.

I expected better from the DID 530nz. But the R3 is so much more powerful than the A65. I'm going to try the narrow link x-ring version when I get home. It's only about 1/2 a mm wider than the 530nz. Curiously the rollers on the x- ring are a slightly larger diameter than the 530nz. So apparently not all 530 chain is the same.

Day two started at 8am on the Blue Ridge Parkway to Fancy Gap. Then i77 to i81 to Scranton PA to i84 to Connecticut 34 to new Haven in the dark. Then i95 to Providence to i195 to the Sagamore bridge to Mass Rt 6 to exit 11 into North Chatham. As previously stated I got done yesterday at 5:30 am.

On the way I managed to break my Sena 10c camera mount. Fixed it with JB Quik Weld. Then broke it again in Pennsylvania adjusting the final drive chain. Spent the rest of the trip listening to the music of the motor with standard earplugs in.

Had the obligatory all lanes blocked on i81 happened at Harrisburg. I Learned about the Detour button on the Garmin and drove through an interesting section of Carlyle (?) PA.

At one point I was off the bike getting a sandwich and gas at an all night Mobile Station in Connecticut on i95 watching the trucks pass by. I was struck at how impressive they are going by at 70 mph. The low rumble and the thunder of the tires and the whine of the motors and transmissions and the cutting hiss of the wind was quite impressive. And then I remembered how I'm out there with them creeping by a handle bar width away hoping that an insterstste alligator would not calve off one of the wheels. How I Consider this normal but at one time I would have been terror stricken as most normies are by such things.

For the last 2 hours I was into and out of fog not too thick and when I pulled into the driveway, first light was poking through the breaks in the overcast that grey blue.

So now comes Maintenance on the bike and the Burying of my dad (a curious adventure). Where I have learned a new skill and the best piece of advise I have ever been given when communing with two brothers, a sister and a high powered mom and extended family. The advise and skill acquired in this endeavor is all wrapped up in one word.

Patience.

And now you know.

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
#704079 - 08/05/17 10:38 pm Re: Walkabout 2017 [Re: Semper Gumby]  
Semper Gumby Offline
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Atlanta, GA USA
Well the deed is done. As captain of the ship, I said the words from the book of common prayer. Tears were shed. The youngest on board (my son Alexander) put Dad in the water 200 yards off ministers point in Pleasant Bay Cape Cod. Present my two brothers John and Nick and my two sons Christian and Alexander and myself driving the boat. The weather was perfect (for Cape Cod) - about a half mile visibility with a thick fog bank rolling across the outer beach. The sun was poking through the mist and the winds were light. Perfect fishing weather at 70'f.

The bike has a new chain thanks to Bubbas Motorsports of Borne Ma. And is mostly clean due to judicious use of a Purple Power and some small scrub brushes from NAPA in Orleans. I have a significant leak at the base of the forward left pushrod tube. A small leak infront where the right case meets the center case. I also have a leak at the clutch adjustment cover due to my not using some GE5050 sealant last time I was in there. I think that most of the oil down the LH aside is from the pushrods tube. There may also be a gearbox leak that is coating the RH side of the tire. Work to be done when I get home.

The idle is purrrrfect. WOT Makes fantastic power. But from cracking open the throttle to about 1/2 throttle there is a popping burble that sounds unnatural. So I'm wondering if the slide cutaways need to be adjusted. This assumes there are no air leaks of course.

Heading back to Atlanta Monday.

For some reason I cannot log into Photobucket. I do not know why. It's always something. I'm just glad it's not the bike.

Last edited by Semper Gumby; 08/05/17 10:41 pm.

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
#704321 - 08/08/17 3:34 pm Re: Walkabout 2017 [Re: Semper Gumby]  
bodine031 Offline
BritBike Forum member
bodine031  Offline
BritBike Forum member

melbourne florida
70-100 psi of oil pressure makes it tough to keep oil in the 40 or so orfices on a triple engine!!! drill a 1/8" hole at about 7 o clock in the clutch adj. area and the oil will drain back into the pri/cover. Hope the ride back is no issues also.

#704381 - 08/09/17 1:21 am Re: Walkabout 2017 [Re: bodine031]  
Semper Gumby Offline
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Atlanta, GA USA
Made it home this evening about 1930. Started out in northern Virginia. Ran south on i81 to i77 south to i40 west to US 321 I think to i85. i85 was awful. Construction, merge jams, and about 2 hours of low vis rain. Made my last gas stop at exit 4 in South Carolina at the Loves. Took off my rain gear and left it off for the last leg to Atlanta. Glorious.

I put somewheres north of 2800 miles on the bike. As it sits I now have 11100 miles on the odometer. The bike ran great except for the part where it leaks oil in the outline of the motor at every gas stop. I blame old gaskets and sealer.

I'm going to change the front end I think. Either a different tire (Heidenau K34) or a wider rim for the existing Avon. I hate paying for part of a tire I'm not using. And a bigger contact patch will make this a less jittery bike out on the highway.

Last edited by Semper Gumby; 08/09/17 1:22 am.

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
#704475 - 08/09/17 11:28 pm Re: Walkabout 2017 [Re: Semper Gumby]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted by Semper Gumby
Made it home this evening about 1930. Started out in northern Virginia. Ran south on i81 to i77 south to i40 west to US 321 I think to i85. i85 was awful. Construction, merge jams, and about 2 hours of low vis rain. Made my last gas stop at exit 4 in South Carolina at the Loves. Took off my rain gear and left it off for the last leg to Atlanta. Glorious.

I put somewheres north of 2800 miles on the bike. As it sits I now have 11100 miles on the odometer. The bike ran great except for the part where it leaks oil in the outline of the motor at every gas stop. I blame old gaskets and sealer.

I'm going to change the front end I think. Either a different tire (Heidenau K34) or a wider rim for the existing Avon. I hate paying for part of a tire I'm not using. And a bigger contact patch will make this a less jittery bike out on the highway.

That's a good ride report and a bull-goose journey for a Rocket III! I was riding through some of that same rain, a bit west of you. Like you say, the wet part isn't the problem - it's the Visibility thing. Folks can't see you in the rain and spray.

Coming south on WV 259 from Baker to Timberville, I would see what looked like a solid ball of water 50 feet in diameter coming at me. Then I would see that there was a Peterbilt truck in the center of it, and nothing to do but duck my head and lean into the deluge, and hope I could keep it in the road. Hate when that happens!

Lannis

#704522 - 08/10/17 2:14 pm Re: Walkabout 2017 [Re: Semper Gumby]  
bodine031 Offline
BritBike Forum member
bodine031  Offline
BritBike Forum member

melbourne florida
My 69 T-150 has a disc brake T-160 frt end stock caliper with EBC HH pads and braided steel line Magura M/C and now real brakes!!
Glad you got in with no issues

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.335s Queries: 15 (0.016s) Memory: 0.9462 MB (Peak: 1.2577 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-20 15:26:37 UTC