BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
215 registered members (Adam M.), 1,815 guests, and 550 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 190
koan58 100
Stuart 88
NickL 66
Popular Topics(Views)
437,160 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,270
Posts632,147
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#699072 - 06/19/17 10:37 pm B50 / B25 kickstart spring fitting tips?  
Tigernuts Online content
BritBike Forum member
Tigernuts  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Naarfuk, UK
Anyone got any tips on this? There's nothing at all in either the genuine manual or the Rupert Ratio book. Maybe it is so straightforward and obvious that nobody has ever felt the need to write anything about it, in which case that's fine! But just in case (and as I'm planning to get the gearbox and timing sides all done tomorrow if possible), thought I'd ask.

The engine didn't have any spring when I dismantled it so I can't just do the reverse of removing it. The Ratio book makes a big thing of how much damage you'll do to yourself if you don't remove the kickstart quadrant in the correct way, so I'm guessing there's going to be a correct way of re-fitting.

If anything other than a blank space is visible here, something's wrong.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#699091 - 06/20/17 12:55 am Re: B50 / B25 kickstart spring fitting tips? [Re: Tigernuts]  
gavin eisler Online content
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
If its the same as an A65, this works for me, hook the spring inner coil over its screw, fit the flat washer , tang inwards , make sure it is on the flats, old ones can get bruised, dress with file if needed. Heres the good bit, get a hose clamp/ jubilee clip and fit over the kickstart shaft, tighten so the flat washer cant come off, Get some thin wire, I use wire armour from cables, hook it round the spring and pull into position using pliers..
Once tensioned , remove retaining clip.Works first time.
Its still fiddly , but a lot more controlled, without the clip holding it something usually goes wrong.
It may help to grind a shallow bevel on the outer spring hook open leg, good ones have this already, theres not much room for it to pass round when fitting.

This comes up fairly regularly, some folks put on a welders glove and just wrestle it on, I have had the spring end punch through a thumb nail before I learned to use the hose clamp, take care.
There are other cunning dodges, I am sure. This one just needs a clip and some wire,

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
#699127 - 06/20/17 11:25 am Re: B50 / B25 kickstart spring fitting tips? [Re: gavin eisler]  
Tigernuts Online content
BritBike Forum member
Tigernuts  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Naarfuk, UK
Thanks Gavin

If anything other than a blank space is visible here, something's wrong.
#699140 - 06/20/17 2:30 pm Re: B50 / B25 kickstart spring fitting tips? [Re: Tigernuts]  
edunham Offline
BritBike Forum member
edunham  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Ewing. NJ
I place the spring on the shaft with the loop on the anchor bolt sticking out of the case. I then fit the washer on the shaft. I then tension the spring around with a large Philips head screwdriver in the loop and roll it onto the catch on the washer. It is a bit fiddley, but not too bad. Usually works first or second attempt, although I have had it take longer. Make sure the washer is a nice snug fit on the shaft, if not get a new one. A loose washer will slide off when you try to hook the spring on. I have also had issues with weak springs of unknown provenance. Finally, when you get it all together with the outer case screwed on, take a soft mallet or a hammer with a piece of wood and give the kick starter a few belts, both counter clockwise and clockwise. There are a lot of shafts and bushings that are all supposed to be running concentrically and they need a little help to find their way.

Ed from NJ

#699211 - 06/21/17 12:23 am Re: B50 / B25 kickstart spring fitting tips? [Re: Tigernuts]  
koncretekid Offline
BritBike Forum member
koncretekid  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Nova Scotia, Canada
B50 is not like A65. You just slip the spring over the kick start quadrant, hook it onto the groove in the quadrant, and twist it around by hand and slip the loop end onto the special rear inner cover screw with the tang on the end. It should stay there while placing the outer timing cover, but it usually slips off when removing the cover.
Tom

Life's uncertain - go fast now!

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.616s Queries: 15 (0.054s) Memory: 0.8191 MB (Peak: 0.9745 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-21 09:56:39 UTC