BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
dogge
dogge
sweden
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
222 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,721 guests, and 567 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews
9958 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 189
koan58 100
Stuart 85
NickL 72
Popular Topics(Views)
438,173 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,286
Posts632,360
Members9,958
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#697728 - 06/07/17 1:22 pm Re: I've had a bike notion .... [Re: Semper Gumby]  
Semper Gumby Offline
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Atlanta, GA USA
More and more I am hemmed in by streetlights. I'm going to have to start going to the front of the line at every red light. The cage drivers are not going to like that. I'm am afraid of their overactive justice gland. I've gotten the finger from moar bumper sticker cars (of all persuasions and colors of the political spectrum btw.)

When I see bumper stickers I am wary.

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
Parking lot Elf in training
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#697731 - 06/07/17 1:45 pm Re: I've had a bike notion .... [Re: Semper Gumby]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted by Semper Gumby
.... But perhaps it's because every time I ride I know it may be my last. ...... I just don't worry about stuff. For me there are no nogo zones.....

I know what you mean, but I'd have a funny feeling if I knew that those were the thoughts running through the head of the pilot of the airliner I was on ... ! shocked shocked

Just don't say "Uh oh!" from the cockpit (where I can hear it), though, and I'll be fine .... wink laughing

Lannis

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#697732 - 06/07/17 1:49 pm Re: I've had a bike notion .... [Re: Fetch]  
ricochetrider Online content
Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Online Content

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
Originally Posted by Fetch
Kinda surprised by the suggestions. If I had the coin.....
[Linked Image]
would be my first desire, followed by a lightened up TRW or RE

How much do you think this Triumph weighs? Viewing Kev's vintage trials pix, there are a lot of folks riding off road on old bikes that have a fair amount of weight.

But Lannis,
You're just talking about fire roads, right? No trail riding or single track?
There's miles upon miles of fire road type dirt riding in PA. So this is something I have always thought about. I'd definitely need to be street legal to access this network of forest roads.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

#697733 - 06/07/17 1:54 pm Re: I've had a bike notion .... [Re: Semper Gumby]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
More and more I am hemmed in by streetlights. I'm going to have to start going to the front of the line at every red light. The cage drivers are not going to like that. I'm am afraid of their overactive justice gland.

They not only have a "justice" gland, but American drivers get a large shot of "I have to BEAT you" hormones when they clasp a steering wheel. It's why roundabouts here don't work well, because they require "give and take", and it's why traffic jams up when two lanes go to one lane, and why people get furiously, screaming, killing angry if they see someone on a motorcycle get ahead of them, even if it doesn't slow them down at all ....

Lannis

#697735 - 06/07/17 2:07 pm Re: I've had a bike notion .... [Re: ricochetrider]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted by ricochetrider
Originally Posted by Fetch
Kinda surprised by the suggestions. If I had the coin.....
[Linked Image]
would be my first desire, followed by a lightened up TRW or RE

How much do you think this Triumph weighs? Viewing Kev's vintage trials pix, there are a lot of folks riding off road on old bikes that have a fair amount of weight.

But Lannis,
You're just talking about fire roads, right? No trail riding or single track?
There's miles upon miles of fire road type dirt riding in PA. So this is something I have always thought about. I'd definitely need to be street legal to access this network of forest roads.

Well, based on all the great suggestions and comments, I've been thinking about exactly what it is that I want this future bike for. WILL it just be fireroads and forest roads and well groomed maintained national forest tracks, or do I want something that if the road turns ugly from a washout or something, I can navigate it without worrying if I'm going to have to walk out .... ? I have to figure that out.

This beautiful old pre-unit Triumph Fetch pictured would be WAY too nice a bike for what I'm thinking ... you DO fall over occasionally off-road, and I need something that wouldn't require me to take out another mortgage on the farm to fix if something happened. It DEFINITELY has to be street-legal and capable of getting me 100 miles to the trailhead, fuel up, a day of riding, fuel up, and then 100 miles home. That would take me to enough roads to last me the rest of my life.

Just for reference and based on past experience, I know that a barely street-legal 175cc 1970s Japanese enduro would do all that for me. At the top end, maybe the Firebird Scrambler would do, but that's at the limit of heavy for what I want and maybe over. A unit Brit single would do it too, stripped down they're maybe 300 pounds. A European enduro would have a great cool factor. And if I just wanted to bail out and make it easy and reasonable, a modern 225/250 enduro would do, but I'm not reasonable necessarily, and it wouldn't be very cool.

So I'll just continue to get information and scratch my .... chin .... and say "Hmmmmmmm" until The Right Bike shows up!

Lannis

#697736 - 06/07/17 2:08 pm Re: I've had a bike notion .... [Re: Lannis]  
Semper Gumby Offline
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Atlanta, GA USA
Lannis,

Riding alone on a bike in traffic is a bit different than carrying a plane full of your most valued customers (that allow you to purchase and maintain said britbike!)

I am wary of cars with bumper stickers. There is almost no place I wont go. God is along for the ride. I will always do the right thing even when no one is looking because of who is looking over my shoulder.

Honestly!

Last edited by Semper Gumby; 06/07/17 3:41 pm.

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
#697737 - 06/07/17 2:17 pm Re: I've had a bike notion .... [Re: Lannis]  
kurt fischer Online content
#irideslow
kurt fischer  Online Content
#irideslow

Arlington, Massachusetts, USA
... like a Yamaha DT1 or DT2 250 -- should be easy enough to find a good one.

Kurt
1968-70-71 Triumph TR6R Bitsa - 1969 Triumph TR6R - 1971 BSA A65L - 1973 Triumph TR5T
2005 Ducati MTS 1000S DS - 2012 Ducati Hyper 796 - 2014 Kawasaki ZX1000
#697739 - 06/07/17 2:39 pm Re: I've had a bike notion .... [Re: Semper Gumby]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Lannis,

Riding alone on a bike in traffic is a bit different than carrying a plane full of your most valued customers (that allow you to purchase and maintain said britbike!)

I am wary of cars with bumper stickers. There is almost no place I wont go. God is along for the rid. I will always do the right thing even when no one is looking because of who is looking over my shoulder.

Honestly!

Well, you know I was just sort of joking around. I'd fly anywhere with you. Ride pillion behind you? ... wellllllllll ...... I don't know if my heart could take it!

Bumper stickers are usually a bad sign, but a lot of them are pretty funny!

Lannis

#697743 - 06/07/17 3:26 pm Re: I've had a bike notion .... [Re: Lannis]  
Semper Gumby Offline
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Atlanta, GA USA
On my errand had a cool conversation with a Dekalb county sheriff. He saw me putting on my gear at the UPS store and came over to say HI. He was really interested in the Olympia Mesh gear and the Sena 10c Bluetooth camera. Gotta empty the card on the Sena so I can take video again. Unfortunately I see the craziest stuff on the road.

Last week I'm on my bicycle with my bike helmet sans camera in Charlestown sc (Memorial Day weekend spoleto music festival) and I'm on my way to church. I'm number one at a light to cross a busy four lane that leads to the beach. The light turns red, and I'm mounting up to cross when my light turns green waiting for the cages to run the red light.

Two did. On my left A Jetta came through the red and turned left in front of me. From my right a Suburban going to the beach came straight through its red and clocked the Jetta in the Rh door hinges. Pushed the Jetta back out of the center of the intersection into the grass in front of a Walgreens about 50 feet. It was sudden, loud and violent. There was 30 seconds of quiet and then everyone started running to the Jetta. The Jetta driver was dressed for church and not breathing, blood everywhere. I didn't know there could be so much blood so quickly. I guess like oil, a little goes a long way. A woman from inside of the Walgreens beat us all to the Jetta, puts her hand through the blown out window on the Jetta drivers chest and starts praying out loud. After ten seconds of this his stomach heaves and he starts breathing. I'm sure it's just shock but I invite God where ever I go. Maybe he sends his angels instead. For that I am forever grateful.

No bumper stickers on either car.

Y'all please be careful out there.

Last edited by Semper Gumby; 06/07/17 3:35 pm.

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
#697744 - 06/07/17 3:39 pm Re: I've had a bike notion .... [Re: Lannis]  
GrandPaul Online content
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Laredo (South) Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Lannis
Some good ideas so far, I just have to find some "good ideas" for sale!

Lannis, don't be shy, e-mail me with an offer for the T-Bird street tracker, and I'll deliver it to your door for my fuel cost only, shared by 3 other deliveries.

"Can't hurt to throw out a low-ball offer" I don't take them personally, I just say 'no'.

Last edited by GrandPaul; 06/07/17 3:39 pm.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
#697745 - 06/07/17 3:54 pm Re: I've had a bike notion .... [Re: GrandPaul]  
Semper Gumby Offline
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Atlanta, GA USA
The Firebird will be a rougher ride and the front forks will bang home as they extend as there is no rebound dampening on the 69.

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
#697746 - 06/07/17 4:08 pm Re: I've had a bike notion .... [Re: Lannis]  
Fetch Online content
BritBike Forum member
Fetch  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

New Jersey
[/quote]

This beautiful old pre-unit Triumph Fetch pictured would be WAY too nice a bike for what I'm thinking ... you DO fall over occasionally off-road, and I need something that wouldn't require me to take out another mortgage on the farm to fix if something happened.
Lannis[/quote]

The picture was just eye candy. A battered tr5/6 would be cool for fire roads, kinda pricey for sure unless you stumble upon a bitsa. I've seen a few TRW's set up like TR5s, 5k should be enough to find an ugly runner. Also saw several RE's set up in Trials form.

Also saw a street legal Greeves a few months back. Just saying, some not so pristine British Iron would be fun to bump down a fire road on.

#697753 - 06/07/17 6:26 pm Re: I've had a bike notion .... [Re: GrandPaul]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted by GrandPaul
Originally Posted by Lannis
Some good ideas so far, I just have to find some "good ideas" for sale!

Lannis, don't be shy, e-mail me with an offer for the T-Bird street tracker, and I'll deliver it to your door for my fuel cost only, shared by 3 other deliveries.

"Can't hurt to throw out a low-ball offer" I don't take them personally, I just say 'no'.

I just went out riding today on my A10, and decided, on my way back from the state park where I saw my grandkids, to take some gravel and dirt roads back toward home just to be doing it.

The A10 is by no means a dirt bike - it has low narrow home-market bars, rib front tire, street rear, and you could feel that sucker squirm on the wet patches on the road. But it was fun anyhow ....

I'm considering whether to go with Tom's advice of "Use what's in the barn already", since I've got 8 bikes in there and don't really need 9, or whether to start decluttering and sell something .... in order to get something else in there. And thanks for the offer, I've got it bookmarked .... !

Lannis

#697754 - 06/07/17 6:29 pm Re: I've had a bike notion .... [Re: Semper Gumby]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
The Firebird will be a rougher ride and the front forks will bang home as they extend as there is no rebound dampening on the 69.

Yes, as Tom mentioned, I think I would have to put an enduro front end from something else on there. When I aggressively come up my own driveway on the Firebird, the front end is clacking and banging pretty hard, even though the bushings and seals are in good shape and I have proper 20W fork oil in there. I tried 50W once but it didn't make any difference on the topping out impact ....

Lannis

#697762 - 06/07/17 8:38 pm Re: I've had a bike notion .... [Re: Lannis]  
Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
Enduro or dirt bike front end- triple tree, & forks. I did a search and a company called RACE TECH seems to have suspension parts for vintage bikes and 441 Victor was in their data base-
so upgrade rear shocks could be in your future as well.
Putting upgrade dirt suspension on britbikes has definitely been done over and over again.
It ain't rocket science, and it'd be fun to build a little new life into the ol 'Bird!

#697763 - 06/07/17 8:40 pm Re: I've had a bike notion .... [Re: Lannis]  
Semper Gumby Offline
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Atlanta, GA USA
Best thing for it is a set of OIF forks or some new aftermarket internals (expensive).

Won't be original then though....

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
#697765 - 06/07/17 8:47 pm Re: I've had a bike notion .... [Re: Lannis]  
edunham Offline
BritBike Forum member
edunham  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Ewing. NJ
Lannis,
My suggestion would be to look around for a pre-1968 250 scrambler type. That way you can poke around meadows, ride dirt or gravel roads, and, most importantly, it will be eligible for the East Coast Moto Giro, which is an incredible hoot, and just about everybody who tries it comes back for more. This past Spring Giro was held not to far from you in the Ashville area. You can pick up old Japanese bangers that will do just fine very reasonably. If you want to fly the flag, do it on a BSA 250, there is always a sizeable contingent. They are typically the unwanted step-child of BritBikes, so they too can be purchased very reasonably. Apparently Gordon Grey just did his first Giro in May on a C-25. He had so much fun that he has signed up for the Fall Giro in the Poconos. I will be there also, with Brian (Royal Oilfield) and Mike A. (Rocket Scientist). Join the fun!

Ed from NJ

#697767 - 06/07/17 8:52 pm Re: I've had a bike notion .... [Re: Lannis]  
edunham Offline
BritBike Forum member
edunham  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Ewing. NJ
Oh and by the way, you will probably be able to purchase and run a somewhat beat-up B-25 in the Giro for less than it will cost you to modify the suspension on your Firebird. Having said that there are folks in the Giro that throw vast sums at their machines. They don't usually seem to be the winners, however.

Ed from NJ

#697770 - 06/07/17 9:02 pm Re: I've had a bike notion .... [Re: edunham]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted by edunham
Oh and by the way, you will probably be able to purchase and run a somewhat beat-up B-25 in the Giro for less than it will cost you to modify the suspension on your Firebird. Having said that there are folks in the Giro that throw vast sums at their machines. They don't usually seem to be the winners, however.

Ed from NJ

I hadn't really thought about organized off-road rides; I was thinking about just noodling about by myself. On the other hand, an off-road Moto Giro like that might be fun.

HOWSOMEVER, it's been a LONG time (late 70s) since I was seriously knocking bark off of trees on a motorcycle, and I wasn't a particularly good off-road rider even then.

And I'm not being modest. For example, sometimes I pick a 5-string banjo, and people see it on the stand and say "Oh, you really ought to play with us!" and I say "No, I'm not very good at it". (Now generally, when a real musician says that, they really mean that they would make the top 10 but not the top 5 at Galax or Bean Blossom in the banjo competition.) So people say "Oh, come on, we're not much, you'll be able to play along and pick it out, come on, it'll be fun."

And once or twice I did. And within a couple minutes, people say (in a nice way) "Oh, I see what you mean. You really MEANT that when you said you aren't very good. Well, you just sit and listen and it'll come to you someday ....".

I learned to ride off-road, and I can ride on the street, but I'd be mighty twitchy and slow and tentative and ... well ... not much fun to ride with in the dirt at the moment, so there's that to consider. That might get better some day ....

Lannis

#697771 - 06/07/17 9:04 pm Re: I've had a bike notion .... [Re: Lannis]  
Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey

#697777 - 06/07/17 9:34 pm Re: I've had a bike notion .... [Re: Lannis]  
edunham Offline
BritBike Forum member
edunham  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Ewing. NJ
Hey Lannis, I totally suck as a dirt bike rider. I am big, fat, with zero hand-eye coordination and about as graceful as an elephant on a skateboard. It doesn't matter. The Giro is still a hoot. If you are real competitive, will feel bad if you do not place well and you have no talent, I wouldn't do it. On the other hand if you want to have fun and don't embarrass easily, go for it. While there are plenty of folks who are in it to win it, I am not. My goals when I am in the Giro are : 1) Not get hurt too much; 2) Not hurt my bike too much; 3) Have fun; and 4) beat Mike A. (I will probably lose out on that one).

Ed from NJ

#697799 - 06/08/17 1:01 am Re: I've had a bike notion .... [Re: Lannis]  
edunham Offline
BritBike Forum member
edunham  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Ewing. NJ
Also the Giro is not off road. It is paved roads and dirt roads. Although sometimes some folks might debate whether the dirt roads really are roads.

Ed from NJ

#697916 - 06/09/17 10:33 am Re: I've had a bike notion .... [Re: Lannis]  
Ob1quixote Online content
BritBike Forum member
Ob1quixote  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Charleston SC
I have a bumper sticker on my '99 F150.

"Watch For Motorcycles"
Gumby, ya shoulda said something, I smoked pork tenderloins that weekend!

When singing "Kung Fu Fighting" is outlawed, only outlaws will sing "Kung Fu Fighting"
#697979 - 06/09/17 8:29 pm Re: I've had a bike notion .... [Re: edunham]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted by edunham
Lannis,
My suggestion would be to look around for a pre-1968 250 scrambler type. That way you can poke around meadows, ride dirt or gravel roads, and, most importantly, it will be eligible for the East Coast Moto Giro, which is an incredible hoot, and just about everybody who tries it comes back for more. This past Spring Giro was held not to far from you in the Ashville area. You can pick up old Japanese bangers that will do just fine very reasonably. If you want to fly the flag, do it on a BSA 250, there is always a sizeable contingent. They are typically the unwanted step-child of BritBikes, so they too can be purchased very reasonably. Apparently Gordon Grey just did his first Giro in May on a C-25. He had so much fun that he has signed up for the Fall Giro in the Poconos. I will be there also, with Brian (Royal Oilfield) and Mike A. (Rocket Scientist). Join the fun!

Ed from NJ

So, you've got me curious about the East Coast Moto Giro.

I can find lots of "random" information, people being helpful and providing some information and rules, but the "motogiro" site has apparently been hacked and my computer says "No, son, you can't go in there, too dangerous".

Is there anything definitive on line about rules, bikes, schedules, registration, etc. .... ?

We had a whole thread on it back in 2015 but I suppose that's old information now.

Lannis

#698109 - 06/11/17 3:18 am Re: I've had a bike notion .... [Re: Lannis]  
edunham Offline
BritBike Forum member
edunham  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Ewing. NJ
It happens twice a year, a Spring Giro that is the first weekend in May and a Fall Giro that is the third weekend in September. It happens in different locations, traditionally the Northeast, but they had it in Asheville this past spring. It is basically like a sports car regularity run or an enduring on back roads, dirt roads and fire roads with time checks and agility tests. You will do about 300 miles over the weekend and you will be tired. It's open to 1968 and before 305 and smaller and any size with a sidecar. The next one is in the Poconos. It has been opened to previous participants and will soon be open to the public. I'll get you an address if you are interested.

Ed from NJ

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.230s Queries: 16 (0.066s) Memory: 1.0132 MB (Peak: 1.3799 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-22 18:34:32 UTC