BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
aviator79
aviator79
Los Alamos, NM
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
199 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,592 guests, and 585 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Doug Baril, revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts
9960 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 184
koan58 99
Stuart 82
NickL 70
Popular Topics(Views)
439,889 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,302
Posts632,375
Members9,960
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#696345 - 05/24/17 12:03 pm Tiger cub dies on open throttle.  
cragrat73 Offline
BritBike Forum member
cragrat73  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Gloucester , uk
Hello I have a 1955 tiger cub and it has ran well until recently where it now idles okay but when throttle is opened quickly, it coughs and dies. If you carefully open throttle gradually it revs up okay. I have cleaned the carb, used ignition/plug leads and coil from a known good bike and no difference made. I have set the carb at factory setting which worked well before and the plug is very lean and it runs hot. Checked for air leaks (spray carb cleaner on joints while running) none found. I will admit that I have got myself chasing my own tail trying to sort it out. So I'm hoping someone can offer some advice and help me out.
Thanks in advance.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#696350 - 05/24/17 1:06 pm Re: Tiger cub dies on open throttle. [Re: cragrat73]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
You've come to the right place ... I just had a similar problem that was running me in circles and the list was a great help. I'll be really interested in seeing what the solution is.

One thing you might do is to check the compression and the valve clearance. Something may have changed there and masquerade as a fuel problem.

Troubleshooting Rule Number One is "Compression - Ignition - Fuel" in that order.

Good Luck!

Lannis

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#696362 - 05/24/17 2:45 pm Re: Tiger cub dies on open throttle. [Re: cragrat73]  
JubeePrince Online content
Life member
JubeePrince  Online Content

Life member

Back on the mainland!
Rolling open the throttle only to die can be a symptom of lean running. (As evidenced by your plug) An easy test would be to try closing the air screw an 1/8-1/4 turn and see if the problem goes away....

Cheers,

Steve

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
#696370 - 05/24/17 4:57 pm Re: Tiger cub dies on open throttle. [Re: cragrat73]  
cragrat73 Offline
BritBike Forum member
cragrat73  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Gloucester , uk
Okay checked compression and it was 90 psi. Checked valves at TDC and they were correct. So a put a little oil in spark plug hole and checked compression again, 130 psi. Started bike after, started better and ran better but still sputtered and stopped when throttle opened quickly but revved up better then got worse till it struggled to tick over and was very hot. I only last year rebuilt the engine with a newly rebored barrell 0.20 thousand over with new piston and matching rings, so expected it to be okay or is it having oil starvation issues. I checked the oil return in the oil tank when running and it was pumping oil back into the tank.

#696415 - 05/25/17 12:36 am Re: Tiger cub dies on open throttle. [Re: cragrat73]  
Bola Offline
BritBike Forum member
Bola  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Toronto, Canada
Main jet. Check to see if your main jet has come undone or plugged up.

#696636 - 05/27/17 12:59 pm Re: Tiger cub dies on open throttle. [Re: cragrat73]  
jfligg Offline
BritBike Forum member
jfligg  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Lucan ON Canada
Hello my cub does the same. I did read somewhere I think it was the Hughie Hancox tales of Meriden that there was issues with the distributor and the shaft wobbling around. Jeff

#696673 - 05/28/17 1:54 am Re: Tiger cub dies on open throttle. [Re: cragrat73]  
tridentt150v Offline
BritBike Forum member
tridentt150v  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Great Southern Land
Did you do the compression test when the bike was hot??? Results look like a cold compression test, if it was cold then I wouldn't be too concerned about the numbers. But hot you should see the dry and wet test results get much closer together, maybe 110-120 psi.

#696689 - 05/28/17 1:13 pm Re: Tiger cub dies on open throttle. [Re: cragrat73]  
kevin roberts Online content
BritBike Forum member
kevin roberts  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
does the carb gave a choke slide? warm it up, drive up to cruising speed, drop the choke slide and open it up. if it runs better, then part or all of the problem is lean running. if it's worse, then the problem is probably not mixture.

but it really sounds like tbere's a restriction in fuel flow. petcock? blocked tank vent? plugged lines? goo in the tank?

Into the distance a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a windswept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
A fatal attraction is holding me fast how
How can I escape this irresistible grasp?
#696755 - 05/29/17 11:32 am Re: Tiger cub dies on open throttle. [Re: cragrat73]  
cragrat73 Offline
BritBike Forum member
cragrat73  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Gloucester , uk
Okay had a few minutes to work on the bike. Removed and clean main jet, all secured and clear. The fuel flow is good from the tap, no restrictions. The distributor does have some play in the shaft, but not a big amount. The cam is solid and has no play on it.
I redid the compression tests. Cold test dry = 90 psi, cold test wet = 100 psi. Hot test dry = 110 psi, hot test wet = 110 psi. So as you said readings much closer. The carb is a AMAL 332 and has no choke slide or any choke mechanism,
I will try to gp for a ride to see how it's behaves. Thanks for responses.

#698336 - 06/13/17 2:52 pm Re: Tiger cub dies on open throttle. [Re: cragrat73]  
cragrat73 Offline
BritBike Forum member
cragrat73  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Gloucester , uk
Sorry for delay in replying, I had to fix the family car (dpf problems). I have managed a ride and it ran rough and stopped after 1/2 mile. Upon inspection at home, I found the spark plug very sooty. Also found the needle clip has split and the needle has moved upwards out of all notches, so that would seem to be the issue there. I also checked the needle jet for wear and there is a slight bit of play between needle and jet, about 0.010 ish play. What should I expect and how much would be too much. I have ordered a new needle jet and clips.
Thanks again.

#698370 - 06/13/17 8:48 pm Re: Tiger cub dies on open throttle. [Re: cragrat73]  
RF Whatley Online content
BritBike Forum member
RF Whatley  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

North Georgia, USA
Some finer points.....

► Before you can start any carb repair it is mandatory that you thoroughly inspect and repair your ignition system, and set the ignition timing. If you don't and later find out that your timing was off, then you have to go though all the steps on the carb again.

► 90 psi is minimal. Poor. Barely adequate. Not good. Bad boogie.

Carb needles and needle jets are replaced as a pair. They are both brass, so how can one wear without the other wearing an equal amount ? It is also important that the float level is checked.

► Friend, some inkling of which one of the 41,396 carbs fitted to Cubs since 1955 might be nice to share if you really want detailed help.

bigt

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
Cornelia, GA

"Shop Boy" at Rodi British Bikes
#698428 - 06/14/17 10:15 am Re: Tiger cub dies on open throttle. [Re: cragrat73]  
cragrat73 Offline
BritBike Forum member
cragrat73  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Gloucester , uk
The carb is an AMAL 332/3 no choke mechanism. The float level has been checked right height and float is not punctured.
The ignition has had a contacts cleaned, new condenser, points and timed. The distributor rebuilt.
True about the carb needle and jet, will order new carb needle.
Will do a leak down test as yes the compression is pants.
Cheers.

#698551 - 06/15/17 12:08 pm Re: Tiger cub dies on open throttle. [Re: cragrat73]  
RF Whatley Online content
BritBike Forum member
RF Whatley  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

North Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by cragrat73
The carb is an AMAL 332/3 no choke mechanism. The float level has been checked right height and float is not punctured.

Thanks for that info.

The ignition has had a contacts cleaned, new condenser, points and timed. The distributor rebuilt.

Those items constitute about 1/3 of your ignition system. How old is your plug wire ? Is it metal core ? Do you have a resister plug or resistor plug cap ? What plug are you running ? How old is it ? Are you running ethanol fuel ?

Will do a leak down test as yes the compression is pants.

Why don't you start by detailing how the compression test was done.

bigt

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
Cornelia, GA

"Shop Boy" at Rodi British Bikes

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.353s Queries: 15 (0.033s) Memory: 0.8871 MB (Peak: 1.1142 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-24 18:20:00 UTC