BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Tasman
Tasman
Tasmania - Gateway to Antarctica
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
204 registered members (2ndchildhood), 1,562 guests, and 560 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Gerard, Regi, Doug Baril, revans, Gilly
9962 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 186
koan58 101
Stuart 83
Popular Topics(Views)
440,565 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,306
Posts631,982
Members9,962
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#651680 - 05/06/16 8:13 am Spectacles, Testicles, wallet & Watch  
Kent Shaun Online content
BritBike Forum member
Kent Shaun  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Kent Garden of England
That's me dudes & dudettes, all packed and ready to go, I'm staying the night with the lad, then we're on the early train to Heathrow.. grin

Remember there's still time, just $10 for me to poke Lannis with a pointed stick, English lessons at Blowing Rock are $5 an hour, and if you want me to teach you how to make proper Tea, it's $7...

Well, can you blame me..? I've got to make that *Tip* money back somehow, and it's your fault for not getting them paid properly.. frown

Now how does it go..? Eggs over easy, bacon, hash brown, home fry, Scrapple, Squirrel on the side, coffee 2 sugars, white bread toasted two for the eating of. Think that's it, Oh dear, I'm all worried now.. crazy

Sod it make mine a Beer... beerchug

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#651682 - 05/06/16 8:17 am Re: Spectacles, Testicles, wallet & Watch [Re: Kent Shaun]  
Al Eckstadt Online content
BritBike Forum member
Al Eckstadt  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Jordan, NY
Don't forget hot cakes with real maple surple. Oh, and have fun!
Al

Al Eckstadt
#651687 - 05/06/16 8:31 am Re: Spectacles, Testicles, wallet & Watch [Re: Kent Shaun]  
wadeschields Offline
BritBike Forum member
wadeschields  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NYC and York PA
Its gonna be monumental ..... So looking forward to this.

Safe travels my ol chum bigt beerchug

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image]
#651695 - 05/06/16 9:00 am Re: Spectacles, Testicles, wallet & Watch [Re: Kent Shaun]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By Kent Shaun
That's me dudes & dudettes, all packed and ready to go, I'm staying the night with the lad, then we're on the early train to Heathrow.. grin

Remember there's still time, just $10 for me to poke Lannis with a pointed stick, English lessons at Blowing Rock are $5 an hour, and if you want me to teach you how to make proper Tea, it's $7...

Well, can you blame me..? I've got to make that *Tip* money back somehow, and it's your fault for not getting them paid properly.. frown

Now how does it go..? Eggs over easy, bacon, hash brown, home fry, Scrapple, Squirrel on the side, coffee 2 sugars, white bread toasted two for the eating of. Think that's it, Oh dear, I'm all worried now.. crazy

Sod it make mine a Beer... beerchug

Getting close .. If you just order two eggs, the Spanish Inquisition will begin, and in this case you'll expect it ....

"Bacon or Sausage?" "Eggs Fried or Scrambled?" "Over Easy or Sunny Side Up?" "You want Coffee?" "Regular or Decaf?" "Cream and Sugar with That?" "Toast or Biscuits?" "White, wheat, or rye?" "You Want Butter or Jam with That?" "Grits or Oatmeal?" "Fried Potatoes?" "You Want Home Fries or Hash Browns?" "Orange Juice?" "Large or small juice?"

Easy tipping table follows -

Breakfast is usually pretty cheap, but you want to leave at least $2 even though that might be over the 18% or so average. That would be up to a bill of $15.

$15 - $20 bill = $3 tip
$20 - $25 bill = $4 tip
$25 - $35 bill = $5 tip

That makes it easy and it would be on the generous side for good service. Just think of it as you're paying the Restaurant for the food and the building, etc., but you're paying the waitress/waiter - they only make about $2.50/hour and your tip makes up the rest. They "have to" declare their tips as income (nudge nudge wink wink) so I usually use cash although the waitresses I ask tell me that leaving it on the card is just as good, they cash it out of the register right away.

This way, anyone who doesn't think the waiters are making enough money, they don't have to fuss at the Corporation or the Government - they can fix it themselves!!

And when you're packing, you can leave the testicles at home in a jar with Janette - you won't be needing them here ....

Lannis

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#651704 - 05/06/16 9:36 am Re: Spectacles, Testicles, wallet & Watch [Re: Kent Shaun]  
MikeG Online content
BritBike Forum member
MikeG  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

New Hampshier USA
Breakfast any way you want it then....just don't ask for beans mushrooms or tomatoes with it.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
#651705 - 05/06/16 9:36 am Re: Spectacles, Testicles, wallet & Watch [Re: Kent Shaun]  
wadeschields Offline
BritBike Forum member
wadeschields  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NYC and York PA
There are some restaurants going tipless recently. and I watched an interview with one of the owners and it all sounded like great reasoning until.........

The upside was that all the waitresses/waiters make the same money and dont have to fight over the better shifts.... Sounds good until you think about the better shift means the waitress is working harder to serve more people.

But the clincher was when the owner stated that the higher wage was paid for by raising the prices on the food. So we are paying it anyway. Actually forced to pay it in this case. So I am not sold on changing our system and I am not sure why it works in other countries. ??

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image]
#651706 - 05/06/16 9:40 am Re: Spectacles, Testicles, wallet & Watch [Re: Kent Shaun]  
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ger B  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NL
Have a good trip Shaun.

Ger B

#651709 - 05/06/16 10:03 am Re: Spectacles, Testicles, wallet & Watch [Re: wadeschields]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By wadeschields

But the clincher was when the owner stated that the higher wage was paid for by raising the prices on the food. So we are paying it anyway. Actually forced to pay it in this case. So I am not sold on changing our system and I am not sure why it works in other countries. ??

I think that the reason is what I had said above - The bill you pay the restaurant covers the cost of the food, the building overhead, and the cook staff and management (and the profit on those).

The tip basically pays for the waiter and service fees. So it's not included in the food bill right now in an American restaurant.

So if breakfast is $8.95 and you leave a $2 tip now, breakfast would be $10.95 and no tip if they went "tipless", since the restaurant is paying the waitress, and not you.

In the UK, you don't tip, and breakfast is 8.95 already. They wouldn't have to change.

I know that my daughter-in-law, when she worked weekends in a "Chili's" restaurant, would sometimes bring home $300 in tips in ONE DAY on a big weekend night. I can guarantee you that she wouldn't have wanted to change to making a straight $12 an hour for waitressing ...

Lannis

#651710 - 05/06/16 10:07 am Re: Spectacles, Testicles, wallet & Watch [Re: MikeG]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By MikeG
Breakfast any way you want it then....just don't ask for beans mushrooms or tomatoes with it.

And for goodness sake DON'T ask for bacon AND sausage in the same breakfast. It's a strange cultural phenomenon that almost any English breakfast has two (and a Full English three) meats, but it would be a strange anomaly in an American restaurant to ask for two meats in the same order. It really confuses the waitress, and they have to work out a way to sell you the "Special" plus a side order of bacon.....

Lannis

#651716 - 05/06/16 10:56 am Re: Spectacles, Testicles, wallet & Watch [Re: Kent Shaun]  
Don Leaming Online content
BritBike Forum member
Don Leaming  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Ontario Canada
You should be able to get in a breakfast order of biscuits and gravy along there somewhere... dontcha think?
Wish I could be there!
Cheers and have fun.
Don

1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor
1969 Triumph Tiger 650
#651722 - 05/06/16 11:31 am Re: Spectacles, Testicles, wallet & Watch [Re: Don Leaming]  
Rich B Online happy
Rich B  Online Happy

Stone Creek OH USA
bigt

Yep, Shaun definitely need a plate with 3 biscuits covered in sausage gravy.......it rarely gets better than that in the morning.....

Life is too short to drink cheap, bad beer.
#651724 - 05/06/16 11:41 am Re: Spectacles, Testicles, wallet & Watch [Re: Kent Shaun]  
MikeG Online content
BritBike Forum member
MikeG  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

New Hampshier USA
Or Shaun, you could be like a true New England Yankee and have pie for breakfast.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
71 Norton Commando
#651726 - 05/06/16 11:55 am Re: Spectacles, Testicles, wallet & Watch [Re: Rich B]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Kent Garden of England
Thanks lads... bigt

Don't know about that bisuits and gravey, had it last time, turned out to be scones floating in a sort of chicken soup, without the chicken.. crazy

First thing I'm doing, is having a cup of PROPER Tea, then after that I'm going American, I don't want to be *Billy Brit Abroad* Oh..! They don't make tea here, not like at home... No sorry that's not me, only having Tea first, to make sure it's made to the quality it was taught.. wink

I'll be following the 'Master' I know I'll make mistooks, but you don't learn anything by not making them. Got me knee sliders packed, and I want to see if that Guzzi can wheelie like I've been told, so BRING IT ON DUDES, Wet Tee shirts, drink till ya puke, MAN 'O' man what a time we're all going to have... clap

#651728 - 05/06/16 12:02 pm Re: Spectacles, Testicles, wallet & Watch [Re: Lannis]  
Kev. Online sick
BritBike Forum member
Kev.  Online Sick
BritBike Forum member

Royal Berkshire.
Originally Posted By Lannis

Breakfast is usually pretty cheap, but you want to leave at least $2 even though that might be over the 18% or so average. That would be up to a bill of $15.

$15 - $20 bill = $3 tip
$20 - $25 bill = $4 tip
$25 - $35 bill = $5 tip
Lannis

shocked shocked

Cheapskate

I always tip more than that!!

http://kevindean.zenfolio.com/

http://backstreetthunder.wordpress.com/

1950 Vincent Comet
1952 Norton Special
1963 BSA Super Rocket
1970 BSA A65 Lightning
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado x2
2009 Triumph Bonneville (now sold)

#651736 - 05/06/16 1:23 pm Re: Spectacles, Testicles, wallet & Watch [Re: Kent Shaun]  
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ger B  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NL
Quote:
Billy Brit Abroad

Whatever, Shaun lad, but DO NOT FORGET to teach them to drink warm ale without even the smallest bubble of foam. pint

Ger B

#651737 - 05/06/16 1:37 pm Re: Spectacles, Testicles, wallet & Watch [Re: Kev.]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By Kev.
Originally Posted By Lannis

$15 - $20 bill = $3 tip
$20 - $25 bill = $4 tip
$25 - $35 bill = $5 tip
Lannis

shocked shocked

Cheapskate

I always tip more than that!!

So YOU'RE the one who's got Shaun all worried about breaking Her Majesty's Exchequer because of tipping ... ! 'Course, despite common belief, we're not all "Mr. GotRocks" over here, buying new motorcycles every week and living on luxury yachts like I hear that SOME people do ... laugh

A $5 tip on a $25 meal is 20%, you tip more than that and the waitress (or waiter, if you wink the wrong way) is liable to think you've got something else in mind and invite you upstairs, so you just watch your step ..... laughing

Lannis

#651757 - 05/06/16 3:27 pm Re: Spectacles, Testicles, wallet & Watch [Re: Kent Shaun]  
edunham Offline
BritBike Forum member
edunham  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Ewing. NJ
If it is an expensive meal, I tip 20% rounded up the nearest dollar. And if I am paying for the meal with a credit card, I give the tip in cash. if it is an inexpensive meal (say under $20), I leave a minimum of $4, preferably $5. If its just coffee, I leave $2. It has nothing to do with "Gotrocks." In fact I find that people with less overall usually tip more and donate more (I ring the bell for the Salvation Army at Xmas time). I do it because it usually means I will get treated a bit nicer on my return visits. I like it when my local breakfast joint has my coffee waiting for me when they see me getting off my bike, and my local watering hole starts preparing my cocktail as soon as they see me walking in the door. It is an inexpensive, and pleasant, luxury for me, which can mean quite a difference to the person serving me.

Ed from NJ

#651764 - 05/06/16 3:47 pm Re: Spectacles, Testicles, wallet & Watch [Re: Lannis]  
JubeePrince Offline
Life member
JubeePrince  Offline

Life member

Back on the mainland!
Shaun -

If the service and food is good, all things being equal, I always leave a minimum of 20%.

What, your head hurts trying to figure it out?

Bill $26.50, 10%=2.65, Double that (round up/round down if you wish) and you got your ~20%.

Head still hurts? Use the Lannis method!

Looking forward to seeing you again....safe travels!

Cheers,

Steve

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
#651768 - 05/06/16 4:10 pm Re: Spectacles, Testicles, wallet & Watch [Re: Kent Shaun]  
MikeG Online content
BritBike Forum member
MikeG  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

New Hampshier USA
Lannis-save the poor fellow a lot of cyphering and head scratching and just confiscate his wallet when he arrives. Take care of all his restaurant bills, leave him enough for bus fare when he gets back to Heathrow, and let the poor lad enjoy himself! At least you'll know where the ale is coming from whistle

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
71 Norton Commando
#651770 - 05/06/16 4:44 pm Re: Spectacles, Testicles, wallet & Watch [Re: Kent Shaun]  
beezageezauk Offline
BritBike Forum member
beezageezauk  Offline
BritBike Forum member

North East England
Heyup Shaun,

You're a dark horse. You never mentioned anything about this trip when we were at "The Bull".

Anyways....have yourself a good time and don't eat them Mercans outa house and home!!

Beezageezauk.

#651787 - 05/06/16 7:44 pm Re: Spectacles, Testicles, wallet & Watch [Re: Kent Shaun]  
Triless Online content
BritBike Forum member
Triless  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

OZ
KS, I'm really looking forward to your travelogue on this trip.I'm sure you'll give the colonists something to think about !

#651792 - 05/06/16 8:04 pm Re: Spectacles, Testicles, wallet & Watch [Re: MikeG]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By MikeG
Lannis-save the poor fellow a lot of cyphering and head scratching and just confiscate his wallet when he arrives. Take care of all his restaurant bills, leave him enough for bus fare when he gets back to Heathrow, and let the poor lad enjoy himself! At least you'll know where the ale is coming from whistle

That's not a bad idea. I could just pay all the restaurant bills, leave whatever tip I think is right for all of us, then let Shaun know outside what his share is .... !

Lannis

#651799 - 05/06/16 9:34 pm Re: Spectacles, Testicles, wallet & Watch [Re: Kent Shaun]  
ricochetrider Online content
Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Online Content

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
Tax times three equals out to about 18% in PA.
I always leave about 18-22% myself or if the service is terrible ill leave WAY less.
That rarely happens tho.
If it's a friend behind the bar or serving me they get the extra special tip amount.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

#651806 - 05/06/16 11:33 pm Re: Spectacles, Testicles, wallet & Watch [Re: Kent Shaun]  
craigw Offline
BritBike Forum member
craigw  Offline
BritBike Forum member

new mexico
Don't ask for beans?......tomatoes?...... Breakfast always has beans and tomatoes and potatoes and green chili with eggs!!!! You guys from some foreign country or something smile

#651822 - 05/07/16 5:10 am Re: Spectacles, Testicles, wallet & Watch [Re: craigw]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Kent Garden of England
Tips... mad

Never mind the bloody tips, just had the full English in Heathrow, Mark had Salmon & scrambled and we had three coffees, it came too...

Wait for it...

28 that's $45 at the rate of exchange I got, my flabber has never been so gasted, paid and walked off sod the tip the robbing Bar Stewards... mad

Beezageezauk lad, been saying for MONTHS on here about this trip, sheesh dude DO keep up... crazy

We're soon be with all y'all....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.241s Queries: 16 (0.007s) Memory: 1.0079 MB (Peak: 1.3670 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-25 09:44:18 UTC