BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
The Bonneville Shop JRC Engineering dealers
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Steve Adisetya
Steve Adisetya
Indonesia
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
44 registered members (Alan_nc), 234 guests, and 384 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Tim Pedder, blayde54, Davenz13, Sean65, Rerock
10478 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 92
franko 77
Triless 70
Popular Topics(Views)
749,210 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,856
Posts670,740
Members10,478
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 41 of 48 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 47 48
Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #701273
07/09/17 11:42 pm
07/09/17 11:42 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline OP

DOPE
kevin roberts  Offline OP

DOPE

ohio, usa
got a tarp and a 10x10 canopy. needed that puppy in wilmingto--remember the rain?

no log book and no rule book. i'll get that up there at check in.

last time i had to turn around and go home to get my leathers, because i forgot . . .

can't think of anything else.

"Are bikes so nice as all that?" asked the mole, shyly...

"Nice? They're the only thing," said the Water Rat Solemnly, as he leaned forward on the handlebars. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about with bikes."
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #701327
07/10/17 12:16 pm
07/10/17 12:16 pm
new jersey usa
P
pushrod tom Offline
BritBike Forum member
pushrod tom  Offline
BritBike Forum member
P

new jersey usa
Kevin, We expect to arrive on Fri. am so, don't break yer junk at least until we get to see you in action.
Cheers, PRT

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #701375
07/10/17 8:57 pm
07/10/17 8:57 pm
Nova Scotia, Canada
K
koncretekid Offline
BritBike Forum member
koncretekid  Offline
BritBike Forum member
K

Nova Scotia, Canada
I tried to post a check list I use, but it didn't format correctly.

Last edited by koncretekid; 07/10/17 9:01 pm. Reason: jumbled!

Life's uncertain - go fast now!
Re: mail-order LSR [Re: koncretekid] #701554
07/12/17 12:18 pm
07/12/17 12:18 pm
Running from demons in WNY
Hillbilly bike Online content
BritBike Forum member
Hillbilly bike  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Kevin and his entourage spent the night at my place and there's reports of their arrival at Loring late last night... I have a favor to ask..My rider/friend/race bike owner plans on arriving at Loring on Friday or early Saturday with the double and the 650 bike...He is great guy but not very good at being a mechanic.I won't be there..... and Kevin has agreed to offer help if needed. I'm sure Ken's time will also be on his own machine..If any of you have some spare time to help if he needs it, be greatly appreciated..Thanks

I take off bike parts until it doesn't function, then put on just enough so it functions
Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #712794
10/26/17 3:50 pm
10/26/17 3:50 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline OP

DOPE

DOPE

ohio, usa
heavens . . . no update.

http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=700651

the mail-order LSR did a best of 128 miles per hour at loring, a fantastic venue. but it wasn't good enough to beat tony's machine, which bumped the record to 133, and is now the fastest production-framed 650 british machine anywhere that they are raced.

i plan on de-throning it, however.

my cylinder head is currently at rob hall's shop being drilled for dual plugs. he did the porting on it last year, which was the only reason it got close to tony and pushrod tom on their 650s. when i get it back, i need to dyno the thing and establish a tune. my dual-plugged morgo T120 is fastest with the timing retarded to 30 BTDC, back from the stock 38. with the compression, cam, porting and oversize valves (both intake and exhaust) on the LSR, i have no idea what timing it will like best. i ran a fixed-advance 38 with the single plug head to get 128 mph, but i imagine i'm going to have to start dialing it back.

the main jetting on the FCRs seems to be in the ballpark. plugs look good. there was some detonation, but i think that was more due to runnig stock timing than plugs. the dyno will help. tuning the exhaust at the track gave me best times with the 38-inch 1-5/8-inch pipes, comparing multiple all-out runs each at 34, 36, 38, and 40 inches.

still to do are the diode-equipped plug wires to let me use the ARD magneto with four spark plugs (thank you, nick), removing the front brake and substituting a 1970 conical left fork leg to get rid of the caliper mount, installing a catch-can for the breathers (what a mess that has been), and locating the gearbox oil leak that spotted up the tarmac in maine. plus, i need to stabilize the fuel tanks so they don't keep breaking loose from the vibration. and loctite and safety wire everything that can come loose.

the motor is up on the stand right now, and i need to do some cam timing measurement before i take it apart and renew the rod bearings. there were also some issues with shifting that are either due to worn dogs in the gearbox or the awful heel-stomp shifter setup that did, after all, give me 128 mph. to fix that i'll be ditching the kick start and rotating the gearshift up to a normal position. that will mean a remote starter off the crank, but i think it will be worth it.

and the new ECTA course in arkansas is 663 miles away.

Last edited by kevin roberts; 11/22/17 12:48 am.

"Nice? They're the only thing," said the Water Rat Solemnly, as he leaned forward on the handlebars. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about with bikes."
Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #716131
11/21/17 11:52 pm
11/21/17 11:52 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline OP

DOPE

DOPE

ohio, usa
i'm re-considering an electronic ignition, as well. i already have a pazon system designed for a dual-plugged head, and the more modern system is certainly better at coordinating spark. one thing the ancient fairbanks magneto can't do is provide steady and consistent spark timing. it was built with low-rpm tractors and stationary motors in mind, after all. when the machine is running with the ARD the image under the timing light is sort of a blurry average of half-a-dozen separate marks, as opposed to the disco stasis of the Boyer or pazon systems. plus, the ARD is a belt drive system turning a fairly stiff little magnet, and that absorbs some amount of horsepower. and it's also fixed timing, with no advance from a retarded setting at lower rpms. that may be a negligible consideration on an LSR machine that is designed to have the throttle WFO as soon as possible, but the course only gives me a mile to accelerate.

earlier in the competition levels none of this would have mattered, but to go from 128 to 134 mph, i'm struggling for advantage, one percent at a time.

i'll give it some thought. the pazon has way too many skinny and delicate little wires, and the complexity of a battery and wiring annoys me. but i'm looking for top speed, not aesthetic satisfaction. so it may go in.

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #716136
11/22/17 12:11 am
11/22/17 12:11 am
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline OP

DOPE

DOPE

ohio, usa
i'm also ditching the kickstart and will be using a remote starter:

[Linked Image]

the one on the ^^^left.

the kickstart means i can be more or less self-sufficient going to the line, and can re-start easily if the bike stalls. but to keep a kickstart lever means that the gearshift has to be positioned so far out of the way that it's responsible for lots of mis-shifts, and i can't afford that anymore.

the dry primary is already open, so all i have to do is put the appropriate-sized socket on the end of this pingel starter, and then use the hex core of the old Lucas alternator as a fixing point to turn the motor.

i thought about building a starter from scratch to save money, then i said, you moron, how many years do you have left? spend the money.

so i'm spending the money.

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #716153
11/22/17 1:31 am
11/22/17 1:31 am
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline OP

DOPE

DOPE

ohio, usa
the machine idles okay even with a fixed advance at 38 BTDC, so i'm not really concerned with the retard at idle. so long as it doesn't die and make me look foolish when i launch, i'm happy.

i used a little shorai in it before, and it was fine, just complicated. wires everywhere. if i put a pazon back in i'm going to start by cutting wires off. i'll have to come up with a battery mount someplace, but it shouldn't be impossible. i'm using a shorei on my commando, and it's been foolproof.

my morgo likes the spark at 30 BTDC with dual plugs, significantly so. i imagine this might be something similar, but it MUST go to the dyno.

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #716160
11/22/17 2:37 am
11/22/17 2:37 am
Riverside, CA.
N
noisy norton Offline
BritBike Forum member
noisy norton  Offline
BritBike Forum member
N

Riverside, CA.
Being I was on a non existent budget I made my own. I used a Dodge pick up starter with a built in reduction. The rest of it was scrap I had laying around.

[Linked Image]

God rides a Triumph but wishes it was a Norton.
Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #716190
11/22/17 12:01 pm
11/22/17 12:01 pm
Hillbilly bike Online content
BritBike Forum member
Hillbilly bike  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

The kick starter on my Triumph serves the purpose ..The engine requires a bit more boot but starts on one kick with a Pazon ignition battery only..The engine runs best when it has some heat into it so it requires several starts and short run cycles as it's advancing in the line to the start.
My dual Triumph engine racer uses an onboard Harley starter and Lithium battery, no charging system. The starter and battery weight about 11 pounds total on a 450 pound machine...

I take off bike parts until it doesn't function, then put on just enough so it functions
Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #716194
11/22/17 12:45 pm
11/22/17 12:45 pm
Asheville, NC
Mike Baker Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mike Baker  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Asheville, NC
Ignition - I don't know how it would get along with your dual points or if you still have an alternator, but just thought I'd mention the Boyer racing ignition. No battery and enough power to run an electronic tachometer too. Mine has been dead reliable through a season of racing. Pretty simple at 4 wires.

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #716218
11/22/17 3:48 pm
11/22/17 3:48 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline OP

DOPE

DOPE

ohio, usa
i use a standard Boyer on my my dual-plugged street bike with no difficulty at all. i'm not sold on the pazon. i'm running total-loss ignition, and either works well with that.

[Linked Image]

i have no experience with this. Boyer supplies the box and the pickup, and you just machine a simple reluctor?

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #716250
11/22/17 7:07 pm
11/22/17 7:07 pm
Elko, Nevada USA
dave - NV Offline

BritBike Forum member
dave - NV  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Elko, Nevada USA
Kevin ... Several years ago I fabricated the adjustable reluctor mounting for the dedicated Boyer Crank Triggered dual coil spark ignition for our BSA Gold Star powered dirt track racer, running total loss with a AGM 12v 5 amp/hr battery. The ignition operates fine for a days racing with a battery charge. The reluctor is mounted on a alu disc fitted to the inner primary cover around the belt drive primary engine pulley. It can be rotated to accurately adjust and set ignition timing. The tab that triggers the reluctor is welded to the inner flange of the pulley. Works great! The much modified GS racer with a Sonic Weld frame has shown to be one of the fastest bikes in the Classic 500 'Brakeless' class.

Last edited by dave - NV; 11/22/17 7:13 pm.

Dave - NV
Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #716258
11/22/17 8:07 pm
11/22/17 8:07 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline OP

DOPE

DOPE

ohio, usa
got any pictures of that, dave?

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #716260
11/22/17 8:40 pm
11/22/17 8:40 pm
scotland
triton thrasher Online content
BritBike Forum member
triton thrasher  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

scotland
Originally Posted by kevin roberts
i use a standard Boyer on my my dual-plugged street bike with no difficulty at all. i'm not sold on the pazon. i'm running total-loss ignition, and either works well with that.

[Linked Image]

i have no experience with this. boyer supplies the box and the pickup, and you just machine a simple reluctor?

Yes you do.

If you're racing, I can't advise, but for road use I'm not the only person who found Boyer Micro Power a pain in the arse.

http://www.b50.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6013

[/quote]The one good thing about the Boyer Micro-Power system is that Boyer will replace it again and again.
I got fed up with the endless waiting for the breakdown trucks late at night, so the last time I asked Boyer to just send me the old analogue instead.
I could blame my BSA's for eating these as I had similar issues with the Tri-Spark, but my Trident also used to eat the Boyer Micro-Powers, whereas the Tri-spark has been fine.
One of the breakdown guys said he is forever picking up bikes with non-functioning Boyer digitals.........

............My B50 and Commando both have Lucas RITA, still by far the best and most reliable.[/quote]

It gets a bad press on Triplesonline.com, too.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #716263
11/22/17 8:58 pm
11/22/17 8:58 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline OP

DOPE

DOPE

ohio, usa
all the boyers i've ever used have been black-box analogues, which have behaved almost flawlessly. maybe the new-to-me 441 will be an exception, as i haven't got it to advance yet.

but the photograph of the crank-triggered unit is a blue micro-digital:

[Linked Image]

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #716267
11/22/17 9:11 pm
11/22/17 9:11 pm
scotland
triton thrasher Online content
BritBike Forum member
triton thrasher  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

scotland
Originally Posted by kevin roberts

but the photograph of the crank-triggered unit is a blue micro-digital:

[Linked Image]

It looks more like a blue Micro Power.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #716275
11/22/17 11:18 pm
11/22/17 11:18 pm
Asheville, NC
Mike Baker Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mike Baker  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Asheville, NC
I'm using an alternator powered Boyer. It's made for racing I believe as it has no provision for lights. If you've ditched your alternator this isn't for you

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: Mike Baker] #716276
11/22/17 11:22 pm
11/22/17 11:22 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline OP

DOPE

DOPE

ohio, usa
Originally Posted by Mike Baker
I'm using an alternator powered Boyer. It's made for racing I believe as it has no provision for lights. If you've ditched your alternator this isn't for you

no, i lost the alternator when i fitted the 40mm belt. i think the widest newby belt you can fit and still keep the alternator is 20 or 28mm. i just use a battery for EI and charge it every night.

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #716278
11/22/17 11:41 pm
11/22/17 11:41 pm
Asheville, NC
Mike Baker Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mike Baker  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Asheville, NC
Was looking at BB's website and I don't find it there. The box lists it as kit 00066.
Anyway, no help for you. Dam, I hate off season......Want to go racing!

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #716280
11/23/17 12:09 am
11/23/17 12:09 am
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline OP

DOPE

DOPE

ohio, usa
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

i'd never heard of this one. alternator output goes to the Boyer box, which is also rectfier/regulator?

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #716328
11/23/17 1:17 pm
11/23/17 1:17 pm
Asheville, NC
Mike Baker Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mike Baker  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Asheville, NC
Thats the one. It came out of Coventry Spares.
The only problem has been the black box mounts breaking. Should have rubber mounted it - like everything else. I know better.....

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #717710
12/04/17 7:23 pm
12/04/17 7:23 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline OP

DOPE

DOPE

ohio, usa
got my head back from rob hall, drilled out for center 10mm plugs:

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

these are wee tiny little things, the same size i use in my stihl weedwapper. my streetbike has a head drilled for dual plugs by Big D, and back then they used 12mm plugs with a huge long reach, a full inch i think, sitting in a machined brass spacer. these little buggers go straight into the head, not vertically, but angled like the 14mm plugs on the other side.

for the moment, i'm still using the the old ARD, with the fairbanks morse magneto. i'll have to swap the dual-tower coil out, and re-install the original single-tower coil and a rotor, otherwise the magneto will have to spark all four plugs at once. my street bike does that just fine with a Boyer and a batter, but there's no other electrical system on this machine, and using a dual-tower coil will give me more dwell per spark. i have a pazon designed for dual-plugged heads, but i haven't used it yet.

the only issue with the ARD is that the spark is not particularly steady, and the EI will solve that. eventually i'll put that in, i think, but for the moment the magneto and no electrical system is really nice.

i'm going to have to build diode-equipped forked spark plug wires. i already have the diodes, which were super cheap, and just have to solder stuff together. joe hunt sells them, but they're expensive, and i would need two:

[Linked Image]

instead, i bought a bag of fifty of these:

[Linked Image]

and will be putting them together in rows of 3 in series, then parallel 3 rows of 3 for each leg/plug, one plug anode, one plug cathode, for each rotor terminal in the distributor cap.

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #724210
02/04/18 1:50 am
02/04/18 1:50 am
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline OP

DOPE

DOPE

ohio, usa
time to get serious again. the silly A65 is back off the lift again and sitting to the side, until i remember what i did with the Boyer box i took off it. there are several other significant pieces missing, and i suspect that they are all in th ehalf-remembered box i carefully set aside while taking them off so i wouldn;t lose them. i have no idea what i did with it.

so the 65 T120 is back on the front burner.

[Linked Image]

i'm re-doing the camshaft timing. original settings were within a half-degree of what megacycle reccommended for their 510-X2 cam, on both intake and exhaust. i've always set cams based on opening points at some theoretical lift, in this case 0.040-inches. anyway, this original timing would have theoretically placed the intake lobe centerline at 103 degrees and the exhaust lobe centerline at 105 degrees.

[Linked Image]

when i re-checked the lobe angle on the intake, i got 102.5 degrees, close enough to 103 for me. but checking the exhaust several times gave me a consistent 100.5, rather than the 105 it should have been. i've never messed with lobe centerline before when doing cams, so i'm going back tomorrow to see what the real picture is. hard to imagine that i've been running the exhaust 4.5 degrees advanced. but i'll see. that might explain why the bike was slower than i wanted it to be.

i'm planning on retarding both cams to see whether i can get some more torque at the top end. right now i'm running 19/43 with the 36/68 BNR belt drive, which gave me an observed 128 at about 6800. without changing that gearing i can run 134 at 7150, if i can make the motor break through the wall. i need to dyno the puppy to see whether there's anything up there worth chasing.

otherwise, if i gear up to the next available notch at 21/46, i can get 134 at 6900--- if i can find the torque to do it.

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: NickL] #724218
02/04/18 4:28 am
02/04/18 4:28 am
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline OP

DOPE

DOPE

ohio, usa
Originally Posted by NickL
I thought i'd 'chime in' here regarding EI setups, ignore it if you wish/have any sense.............

Supply borne interference is one of the biggest problems with digital electronics on vehicles.
Manufacturers use Transils/Transorbs to quench load dump spikes from things like starter motors and large solenoids,
these devices are highly inductive loads which give big back EMF spikes when de-energised. The Transil is in effect a
zener diode that has the ability to absorb a great deal of power very quickly at a specified level.
The fact that the sensor leads on digital ignitions on these old heaps are quite long also adds to the problems.
Pickup from the HT can be absorbed by the supply and/or sensor leads and either damage or affect the functionality
of the clock within a micro or the high impedance inputs of any cmos type chips.
The use of a zener diode on the supply close to the ignition module will certainly help. A standard 18V 5W device
with a 0.1uf film type capacitor across it improves matters considerably. The sensor leads are a little more difficult
to deal with, you can run a sleeved screen braid over the wires earthed at the ignition box end only. Direct suppression of the
sensor by connecting decoupling capacitors etc to the leads is not a good idea as it normally affects the sensor operation.
Resistor type plug caps or leads are a must.
Another point is that as aftermarket manufacturers in the main do not have a capacitor fitted on the coil drive output,
the resultant high voltage spike which may be generated if a plug is fouled or disconnected is only absorbed by the
included output device protection, ie the internal protection zeners of the output IGBT or any Darlington used. These
normally have a 400v or so threshold. In effect the coil drive wire could be the source of high voltage spikes so seperation
from sensor leads is a good idea. If you have access to a meter which will read capacitance, read between the coil
wire and the Neg wire, if the meter reads near zero you can fit a 0.1uf 400v MKT type capacitor here, this will help
keep the voltage spike lower if one is generated.

As i stated, i know absolutely bugger all about this stuff, i've never had anything to do with it so any advice given may
be used to insult me as you wish.

Nick

^^^that's thought-provoking information, nick. right now i'm running the old ARD magneto, and will be using the chinese microwave diodes in the plug wires to make the twin-plug head work. i ran the ARD last time, and aside from points bounce it worked okay. i wasn't too worried about the points bouncing because i was using a twin-tower coil with the magneto set for dual spark-- no rotor, so there's a waste spark. with the twin plug head i'll have to change coils and put a rotor back in.

but i've been on the telephone with leo goff, who has had another head of mine for quite some time, but has been slowed down for health reasons. he reccommends a more modern ignition system, like a tri-spark or pazon, for a number of good reasons. i believe in taking informed advice if i ask for it, so i've got a pazon to put on the bike when i try out his head work.

that means your comments on the supply zener and shielding the three-foot sensor leads are directly relevant to the next step with this bike. the pazon already has resistor caps.

i've never heard of adding a capacitor to the coil wire with an EI. would routing the coil drive wire far away from the sensor wires be good enough? the less things to go wrong in the system, the happier i am. i love th emagneto because of reduces the number of compents to fail, but i'm going to give it up eventually.

Page 41 of 48 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 47 48

Moderated by  Allan Gill 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership