BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
PBMW
PBMW
Bremerton, Washington, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
210 registered members (Adam M.), 1,828 guests, and 547 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 188
koan58 100
Stuart 88
NickL 66
Popular Topics(Views)
437,093 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,270
Posts632,142
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 41 of 41 1 2 39 40 41
#700575 - 07/03/17 12:30 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: Triless]  
Hillbilly bike Online content
BritBike Forum member
Hillbilly bike  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Running from demons in WNY
Thanks ... For me ,building the machine is the challenge and what happens after that is not so important...Since the early 1990's I built from ground up seven Triumph twins including the race bikes, a BSA A10 "bobber" and several Harleys..I have none of them now...My regular rider bikes generally gravitated toward Italian V twins because I prefer the sound and feel over other types....But Triumphs are just magical to me and love to work on them...

650 Triumph modified production LSR record holder 133.1 MPH... Twin 650 engine Triumph LSR that goes sorta fast...
#700647 - 07/03/17 10:36 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
kevin roberts Online content
BritBike Forum member
kevin roberts  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
success!

for once . . . i now have a handful of clutch adjuster screws, grade 8, or whatever grade 8 is in metric.

since i live in an oil town (not as much as in texas or oklahoma, but getting there) i'm starting to get decent industrial supply and repair stores moving in. i finally drove the 27,000-pound dump truck to the industrial hardware store and went back into the shelves. they're usually not open when i need to get stuff, so i hadn't been there yet.

this place has a quarter-acre of fasteners 8 shelves high. metric and SAE, grades 2, 5, and 8, hex, socket, square, anodized, natural and on and on. anyway, i said, show me your 10mm 1.5mm/thread set screws. everywhere else had them only a centimeter long. not here. these are a full 25mm long:

[Linked Image]

so i bought a handful. along with several new clutch pushrods, and a gearbox clutch release shaft from british cycle supply, i've got the clutch problem licked, i hope.

todd at lowbrow is sending me fork seals. he'll be at mid-ohio with a pretty nice running starfire for sale, he says.

pam newby finally got paid today for the clutch parts she sent me saturday.

dave at morris magneto is sending me what i need to convert the single tower coil/distributor to a dual tower/no distributor, so i can remove the worn distributor mechanism.

on a lighter note, i parked my dump truck after a 12-hour day, walked over to my pickup, and a kitten came crawling out from under:

[Linked Image]

this is one of my housecats (i currently have 10 or 11, and at least that many in the barn). apparently she crawled up into the undercarriage of my pickup truck, rode it on five miles of gravel road to work, and then waited under the pickup all day until i returned.

8 lives to go . . .

Into the distance a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a windswept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
A fatal attraction is holding me fast how
How can I escape this irresistible grasp?
#700776 - 07/04/17 10:42 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
okay . . .

all back up and running. here is what we have:

[Linked Image]

waiting on fork seals from lowbrow, magneto parts from morse. everything else is done.

clutch works, tach works (did i mention the tach died on the dyno?), bike runs, reset the mains two numbers leaner to start with, beginning with 34-inch 1-5/8 pipes, with extensions all the way to 42 inches.

the adjustable ARD gives me 20 degrees of advance adjustability, just by tapping the old fairbanks morse magneto back and forth with a rubber hammer. i'll start at 36 BTDC and see where we go.

since we croaked on the dyno, i'll tune it the old way, on the runway.

#701079 - 07/08/17 3:05 am Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
done.

except for the new fork seals from lowbrow, which will go in tomorrow afternoon, if they fit.

the new dual fire (waste spark) magneto parts from morris magnetos fit perfectly. just a new lexan cap, a two-tower coil, and a higher capacity capacitor. they just swap into the old mag.

[Linked Image]

i still think the clear cap is tacky, but the lexan isn't as brittle as the bakelite, so i'll shut up and use it. switching to the dual fire means i remove the old FM distributor cap and rotor, and just use the same under-rotor two-lobe cam to spark the each cylinder directly every 360, instead of every 720. i still have the old single-fire parts, including a NOS coil, and i can switch back in about 12 minutes if i need to. these things are super simple to run and tune, once they're working to start with.

the single red wire is my entire electrical system. it runs from the points to a kill switch on the bars and grounds the points to kill the engine. it caused me confusion earlier because it reads continuity to ground even when the motor is running-- i'd never thought to put a meter on it when the magneto was running correctly. i'm using el cheapo eBay chinese toggles that cost me about US$4.50 each. i bought a half dozen:

[Linked Image]

^^you can also see that i need a longer-than-stock clutch cable, even with clip ons, because the bars are angled down. BCS sells extended cables, so i'll pick one up at main.

it takes an extended tach cable as well, to get at the instrument without kinks when it's sitting upright like that. no problem with an electronic unit, but i tossed the battery:

[Linked Image]

timing the system is easy. first you static-time the mag the old way to get it running, by setting the engine at something or other, in this case at 38 BTDC, and then adusting the timing using the belt drive until the points are just opening. i punched a mark into the newby pulley at both 38 and at TDC, so this is easy.

[Linked Image]

i also bought a timing tool from morris as an experiment, and it works better than anything else i've tried to static-time the magneto:

[Linked Image]

this thing works like a buzz box, and replaces the 12V-1157 light bulb and soldered wires i'd been using as an indicator of when the magneto points were opening. i couldn't detect a change in the bulb brightness. i also tried a piece of mylar with some washers clipped to it with alligators as weights. doing that meant that when the points opened the weights fell out on the floor. that worked as long as the points were perfect, but it was a pain to get the mylar into the point gap, and either one of these meant that you had to open the magneto cover, which isn't easy to get to. this morris box hooks up to any ground and to the ground stud on the magneto, from the outside, without opening anything. it detects induction changes as the points open and close, rather than continuity, and switches on a light and a buzzer. it's actually more sensitive than my ability to detect movement of my fingers as they rotate the pulleys.

once the machine is running at the 38 BTDC mark, i can set it to anything else using the modified ARD mag mount. the four mounting bolt holes are slotted, so i have 20 degrees of rotation to play with by tapping the mag backwards and forwards, just like an automobile distributor. you can do it with the motor running as well, so i can use a dial-back-to-zero light on the crankshaft rotor to set the tming much more quickly and repeatedly that i could ever get just using static timing alone. this is fantastic. i have no idea why the originals weren't made this way. slotting the mounting holes is hardly more difficult than drilling them in the right place to start with.

the magneto doesn't make a perfect spark, and there are some ghost timing marks, too, probably from point bounce. but it runs well, and i may keep this system instead of putting the pazon back in. the pazon had way more complexity in the wiring and i had to put a battery in somewhere. i now have an oil tank where the stock battery box was, so i don't know where i'd put the little shorei, small as it is.

[Linked Image]

^^^i also made the exhaust to get an extra inch of clearance between the magneto and the pipes. the old ARDs bump the stock pipes on a long-rod 650, and won't clear a T140 at all without some changes. making the pipes myself let me run them away from the head an extra inch and a quarter before turning them down. i also learned to put my O2 sensor in the leftpipe, not the right one . . . haven't mounted it in this, although it would be easy to duct tape a battery on for AF testing. no more time.

some of the old ARD mags have a pulley cover with alan delios's initials, and some are plain, like this one. i don't know if either is older, or rarer. JRC sells various covers for the lytedrive ARD replicas, but not a plain one like this.

#701081 - 07/08/17 3:24 am Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
more stuff

[Linked Image]

pipes are cut off at 34 inches, and i have extensions that will let me run it out to 42 inches by clamping them on the ends. i wanted to be knowing already what it liked from the dyno, but that didn't go so well.

[Linked Image]

carb cables are a bit inconvenient, as they get bent over if i lie down on them. but changing the FCR linkage and having new cables made costs close to $200, so they're going to work just fine as-is unless they're a complete failure. i do have linkage and cables that lie down horizontally, but they bump the rocker boxes with the carbs up close against the head like this. if i extend the carbs back a few inches i'll be able to put them on, but that's for later.

[Linked Image]

pushrod tom's hornet made me buy new V-rated tires, as now everybody has to run something that will be legal above 130 mph. thanks, tom. you rock.

[Linked Image]

the seat is still sort of rudimentary. i have something on hand to make it a little less spartan, but i haven't had time. maybe tomorrow.

[Linked Image]

tach mount is perfect. i can read it between the fork legs when tucked in. i can change mounts to raise it in a few minutes, but then i won't be able to read it any more.

want a 58 sportster, all there?

[Linked Image]

i saw this for sale down by the ohio river. $4000, almost all original, he says, except for the front forks. but he still has the orginal front fender, if you ever get the forks right. original seat, newer tailight. i dunno squat about harleys, but it shifts on the right, so that's okay by me.

[Linked Image]

the dry newby belt means i lost the primary case breather, so i have breathers in the crankcase by the magneto, and then two into the rocker boxes. there were originally two hoses in the crankcase, but the magneto blocks one of them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

^^^these rocker cap breathers are small, but pulse constantly while the engine is running. so i know they work. whether or not they help is debatable, but they were easy to do. i didn't realize so much air was going in and out through those little drain holes in the tappet guide blocks, but it's there.

#701083 - 07/08/17 3:52 am Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
the foot controls are a pain in the ass.

[Linked Image]

in order for the shifter lever to clear the kickstart, it has to be pointing more or less straight down, which is a bit hard to get used to. but i don't shift much. i suppose i'll have to build a hand-held starter and do it that way, but i'd rather not.

i could extend the swing arm back as much as 5.9 inches, and then mount the footpegs farther back. but frankly that's way more expensive and complicated than building a hand starter. i may just live with this.

[Linked Image]

tank mounts are ugly, but the blue paint hides some of that. i have to rest the side of my chin on this mess when bent over, so i may add some sort of pad to keep from losing skin.

the carbs came jetted for a suzuki DR370, at 150 on the mains:

[Linked Image]

and i got jets three sizes up and down to work with. but i just kept going down, 145, 140, 135, 130 . . . it did 112 mph with 140s and 10.5 AF, so i'm running 130s now to start with and i'll watch the plugs to see whether i need to go back up.

front brake is from some 1970's TR7, i think. i don't need a front brake to be legal, but i kind of like them anyway. unless i'm super close to winning, i'll keep it. easy to take off.

[Linked Image]

controls for it are some sort of chinese lever assembly from eBay. not expensive, and lots easier to get than the stock triumph set up. this is a 12 or 14mm cylinder. can't remember which, but it works fine. had to build a stainless brake line, but got all the parts off the net:

[Linked Image]

not much else has changed, except the seasons. i love living in the boondocks:

[Linked Image]

#701086 - 07/08/17 4:34 am Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
konon Online content
BritBike Forum member
konon  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Iowa
Ready to load on the trailer. How many hours is it from Ohio to Loring?

1968 BSA Firebird
1200 HD
XS 1100
1971 Rickman 125
#701100 - 07/08/17 10:42 am Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
Blown Income Offline
BritBike Forum member
Blown Income  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Edgewater, Md
Good luck Kevin! You may want to if bending the kick starter will give you the clearance needed. I had to heat mine on the stroker A65 to clear the rearsets, kinda hard to tell but bent it out some and rotated forward more.

Attached Files IMG_1180.JPG

1955 BSA Bantam D1 Plunger
1956 BSA A10RR Street and LSR Bike
1961 BSA C15S
1966 BSA spitfire
1969 Triumph T100C
1970 Triumph TR6R
1972 BSA Lightning LSR Bike
1974 Triumph T150V
#701102 - 07/08/17 11:11 am Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
koncretekid Offline
BritBike Forum member
koncretekid  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Nova Scotia, Canada
Kevin,
Very nice work on all details. Don't sweat the cosmetic blemishes - - they won't slow you down!

Technically your tach mount may not be allowed according to 7.F.11.5 "....nor more than 2" below the top of the upper triple clamp.....", but Jesse Michaud has the final say on this mod.

As for shift lever location, you can always take the kick starter off, as there will be plenty of help to bump start the bike on the line. Once bump started, you can back pedal to the line. If you haven't tried this before, it may take some practice, probably in 2nd gear (definitely not 1st), but at least you have the weight to get the wheel turning the motor.

If you do decide to lengthen the swingarm in the future, do not go the full 5.9" that appears to be allowed. Wheelbase measurements are normally made from the front axle to the rear axle WHEN AT ITS REARMOST POSITION, so 5.9" may put you out too far. Friend of mine got dinged at BMST for this and had to come up with a way to restrict the movement.

What day are you arriving? Hope to see you in tech.

Tom

Last edited by koncretekid; 07/08/17 11:17 am.

Life's uncertain - go fast now!
#701103 - 07/08/17 11:26 am Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

On my pile of junk the kick lever just clears the shifter by 3/8 inch.In the past I used a fold up Yamaha XS650 lever but it was a causality when the bike was remodeled last winter.......Hopefully you still plan to stop here for a rest ...

[Linked Image]

650 Triumph modified production LSR record holder 133.1 MPH... Twin 650 engine Triumph LSR that goes sorta fast...
#701114 - 07/08/17 3:02 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: konon]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
Originally Posted by konon
Ready to load on the trailer. How many hours is it from Ohio to Loring?

gawd, it's 1100 miles-- 20 hours, maybe? trips are always longer with the kids. when they were little it always took at least 45 minutes to get all of them in and out of the bathrooms. now that they're older they'r quicker but complain more.

#701115 - 07/08/17 3:06 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: Blown Income]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
Originally Posted by Blown Income
Good luck Kevin! You may want to if bending the kick starter will give you the clearance needed. I had to heat mine on the stroker A65 to clear the rearsets, kinda hard to tell but bent it out some and rotated forward more.

dunno what i could do, chris. the actual kick start pedal clears with no trouble, but my heel hits the shift lever itself and taps it into first gear, which immediately stalls the motor. this was a real issue last time, as was the vertical shift lever. it took about five runs to get to where i could crank it on without missing shifts. now it's cumbersome, but i know how to do it.

shortening the kickstart lever would do it, too. the motor isn't hard to kick.

#701116 - 07/08/17 3:12 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: koncretekid]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
Originally Posted by koncretekid
Kevin,
As for shift lever location, you can always take the kick starter off, as there will be plenty of help to bump start the bike on the line. Once bump started, you can back pedal to the line. If you haven't tried this before, it may take some practice, probably in 2nd gear (definitely not 1st), but at least you have the weight to get the wheel turning the motor.

bumping this was not very successful last time. there was a really helpful guy there with the norton/TR6 team who tried to help me, and i think i killed him.

If you do decide to lengthen the swingarm in the future, do not go the full 5.9" that appears to be allowed. Wheelbase measurements are normally made from the front axle to the rear axle WHEN AT ITS REARMOST POSITION, so 5.9" may put you out too far. Friend of mine got dinged at BMST for this and had to come up with a way to restrict the movement.

ouch. i didn't know that.

chris told me about making his BSA chainguard out of nominal 1/8-aluminum, and having the inspectors discover that it was a few thousandths undersize. i found the same thing with mine, and had to go to the shop with a set of calipers to measure their metal when i re-made mine.

What day are you arriving? Hope to see you in tech.

Tom

leaving monday, arriving limestone tuesday night.

#701117 - 07/08/17 3:15 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: Hillbilly bike]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike
On my pile of junk the kick lever just clears the shifter by 3/8 inch.In the past I used a fold up Yamaha XS650 lever but it was a causality when the bike was remodeled last winter.......Hopefully you still plan to stop here for a rest ...

[Linked Image]

monday evening. i'll call when we figure stuff out.

you have guards on your bellmouths. that's an excellent idea. i had misfires in tuning when my knee got in the way of the carb. wearing blue jeans it would actually suck my trousers in and stall that cylinder.

are you taking your front breather off the left side instead of out the top? i should have done that, as i could have run two instead of the one i have with the magneto.

#701127 - 07/08/17 5:38 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Originally Posted by kevin roberts

are you taking your front breather off the left side instead of out the top? i should have done that, as i could have run two instead of the one i have with the magneto.

Yes, front breather is off the side of the front motor mount......Yeah,let me know what's going on...

#701150 - 07/08/17 10:10 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
koncretekid Offline
BritBike Forum member
koncretekid  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Nova Scotia, Canada
Kevin,
Reviewing the Loring rules tonight, I don't see the 10% for wheelbase extension, which must be a BMST rule. Loring book says maximum wheelbase is 68". Sorry if I misled you.
Tom

#701158 - 07/08/17 11:31 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
no, tom, if i do something like that i'll try to keep it legal for both east and west, rather than have to change the machine if i go somewhere else with it.

i didn't know the loring book was different from ECTA. i've glanced through it, but not in detail.

now i'm hoping i didn't miss something i should have allowed for..

#701248 - 07/09/17 8:04 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
loaded

[Linked Image]

what have i forgotten?

#701270 - 07/09/17 10:53 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
Blown Income Offline
BritBike Forum member
Blown Income  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Edgewater, Md
Tarp, popup tent/ canopy? Log book and rule book, riding gear.

1955 BSA Bantam D1 Plunger
1956 BSA A10RR Street and LSR Bike
1961 BSA C15S
1966 BSA spitfire
1969 Triumph T100C
1970 Triumph TR6R
1972 BSA Lightning LSR Bike
1974 Triumph T150V
#701273 - 07/09/17 11:42 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
got a tarp and a 10x10 canopy. needed that puppy in wilmingto--remember the rain?

no log book and no rule book. i'll get that up there at check in.

last time i had to turn around and go home to get my leathers, because i forgot . . .

can't think of anything else.

#701327 - 07/10/17 12:16 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
pushrod tom Offline
BritBike Forum member
pushrod tom  Offline
BritBike Forum member

new jersey usa
Kevin, We expect to arrive on Fri. am so, don't break yer junk at least until we get to see you in action.
Cheers, PRT

#701375 - 07/10/17 8:57 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
koncretekid Offline
BritBike Forum member
koncretekid  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Nova Scotia, Canada
I tried to post a check list I use, but it didn't format correctly.

Last edited by koncretekid; 07/10/17 9:01 pm. Reason: jumbled!

#701554 - 07/12/17 12:18 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: koncretekid]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Kevin and his entourage spent the night at my place and there's reports of their arrival at Loring late last night... I have a favor to ask..My rider/friend/race bike owner plans on arriving at Loring on Friday or early Saturday with the double and the 650 bike...He is great guy but not very good at being a mechanic.I won't be there..... and Kevin has agreed to offer help if needed. I'm sure Ken's time will also be on his own machine..If any of you have some spare time to help if he needs it, be greatly appreciated..Thanks

#712794 - 10/26/17 3:50 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
heavens . . . no update.

the mail-order LSR did a best of 128 miles per hour at loring, a fantastic venue. but it wasn't good enough to beat tony's machine, which bumped the record to 133, and is now the fastest production-framed 650 british machine anywhere that they are raced.

i plan on de-throning it, however.

my cylinder head is currently at rob hall's shop being drilled for dual plugs. he did the porting on it last year, which was the only reason it got close to tony and pushrod tom on their 650s. when i get it back, i need to dyno the thing and establish a tune. my dual-plugged morgo T120 is fastest with the timing retarded to 30 BTDC, back from the stock 38. with the compression, cam, porting and oversize valves (both intake and exhaust) on the LSR, i have no idea what timing it will like best. i ran a fixed-advance 38 with the single plug head to get 128 mph, but i imagine i'm going to have to start dialing it back.

the main jetting on the FCRs seems to be in the ballpark. plugs look good. there was some detonation, but i think that was more due to runnig stock timing than plugs. the dyno will help. tuning the exhaust at the track gave me best times with the 38-inch 1-5/8-inch pipes, comparing multiple all-out runs each at 34, 36, 38, and 40 inches.

still to do are the diode-equipped plug wires to let me use the ARD magneto with four spark plugs (thank you, nick), removing the front brake and substituting a 1970 conical left fork leg to get rid of the caliper mount, installing a catch-can for the breathers (what a mess that has been), and locating the gearbox oil leak that spotted up the tarmac in maine. plus, i need to stabilize the fuel tanks so they don't keep breaking loose from the vibration. and loctite and safety wire everything that can come loose.

the motor is up on the stand right now, and i need to do some cam timing measurement before i take it apart and renew the rod bearings. there were also some issues with shifting that are either due to worn dogs in the gearbox or the awful heel-stomp shifter setup that did, after all, give me 128 mph. to fix that i'll be ditching the kick start and rotating the gearshift up to a normal position. that will mean a remote starter off the crank, but i think it will be worth it.

and the new ECTA course in arkansas is 663 miles away.

Page 41 of 41 1 2 39 40 41

Moderated by  Allan Gill 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.430s Queries: 17 (0.132s) Memory: 1.0161 MB (Peak: 1.3931 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-21 08:08:10 UTC