BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
DaveH
DaveH
Massachusetts
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
208 registered members (2ndchildhood), 1,562 guests, and 558 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Gerard, Regi, Doug Baril, revans, Gilly
9962 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 186
koan58 101
Stuart 85
NickL 69
Popular Topics(Views)
440,407 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,307
Posts632,162
Members9,962
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 39 of 42 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 42
#699793 - 06/27/17 12:38 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
pushrod tom Online content
BritBike Forum member
pushrod tom  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

new jersey usa
Kevin, Nice to hear it running. Looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks. Mine is currently not running. It's on the operating table for some 'maintenance'. Working hard for solution! PRT

#699835 - 06/27/17 6:26 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
Hillbilly bike Online content
BritBike Forum member
Hillbilly bike  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Running from demons in WNY
Kevin, this will get you fired up for racing

650 Triumph modified production LSR record holder 133.1 MPH... Twin 650 engine Triumph LSR that goes sorta fast...
#700095 - 06/30/17 12:28 am Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
kevin roberts Online content
BritBike Forum member
kevin roberts  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
screwed!

got on the dynojet 168, the operator appeared to know his machine well (ten years with it), and we ran a test run just to see how it would hold up. did okay.

then a full power run to 6000+, and it seized the clutch pushrod on both ends on the clutch-in decel:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

i couldn't find anything wrong with the internals, except perhaps here:

[Linked Image]

^^^the right-hand end of the pushrod activation assemble was digging into the outer gearbox cover wall, scoring a groove:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

haven't seen that before. i'm believing that i simply ran the pushrod too tight, and it welded both ends during the first run decel. odd, asi've been adjusting these things for years, so many that i don't even think about it during assembly. probably that was my problem.

anyway, clutch parts are easy, and tomorrow i have to call bob newby and get a new adjuster set screw. as it would be, when i last ordered spares from BNR, i thought, do i need a spare adjuster set screw and locknut? nah, i thought. duh . . . .

anyway, it made 44 hp on the first wobbly run, and the operator estimated it would do 50-plus when it was tuned. he immediately said it was around two numbers rich, at 10.5 AF, which is exactly the number i got with it using my own AEM AF sensor. that's good. i'll drop from 135 mains to 125, and see whether it cleans up. it did 112 on the rich jetting at wilmington (with a stock head, sort of) so we'll see what it will do with the rob hall head at loring.

no more time for the dyno, this was a one-shot deal, so it's off to loring as-is. i'll lean the mains, retard the spark to 36-34 BTDC for starters, and then play with the exhaust length at the track.

then back on the dyno when i get back. just approximating the jetting was worth the day, not matter what else went wrong.

Into the distance a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a windswept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
A fatal attraction is holding me fast how
How can I escape this irresistible grasp?
#700142 - 06/30/17 10:36 am Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
konon Online content
BritBike Forum member
konon  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Iowa
Sorry for the bad luck. Hope it all goes well at Loring.

1968 BSA Firebird
1200 HD
XS 1100
1971 Rickman 125
#700145 - 06/30/17 10:42 am Re: mail-order LSR [Re: konon]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
that was Good luck, not Bad luck.

if i hadn't paid the ticket to break it now, it might have broken on decel from 100 mph on the track.

as it is, parts are easy. i'm more concerned about a stripping thread holding the rotor onto my ARD shaft. i could fix it by converting the mag from single to dual fire, but i'd need to buy a new coil and cap , at least. at the moment i've got locktite and crossed fingers.

#700147 - 06/30/17 10:53 am Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
koncretekid Offline
BritBike Forum member
koncretekid  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Nova Scotia, Canada
Kevin,
Dyno runs are very hard on our old clutches. I had the same thing happen to me, not once, but 3 times before I figured out what was happening. I had added an extra clutch plate (friction plate plus steel) on my B50 without using a longer clutch rod. This allowed the clutch operating gear rack to extend too far out of its boss, probably because I had backed up the gear rack one tooth to compensate for the rod being too short. I think it started wobbling a bit off to the side of the ball and overheat. This would not normally happen on the road or track because you don't normally hold the clutch in until the bike, or dyno wheel in this case (very heavy, lots of inertia) slows down completely. The solution was twofold. First, I made a new clutch rod that was one clutch plate plus one steel plate longer than than stock to allow correct placement of the clutch release gear rack. Second was to leave the clutch engaged after the run was complete and actually down shift till I got back into 2nd gear, making sure I didn't downshift too soon (which can take out the sleeve gear and layshaft gear real quick on a B50).

I'm not familiar with the Triumph release mechanism, but I suspect something similar could have caused your failure.

My situation happened on my home brewed, early DynoJet type dyno with no brake, which required using the motorcycle rear brake to slow the wheel down. In your case, the dyno operator probably had a brake on the dyno to slow it down, but it still may have required you to hold the clutch disengaged too long.

Tom

Life's uncertain - go fast now!
#700155 - 06/30/17 12:05 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

new jersey usa
Similar to my experience except I was on the road. In this case the GS Parkway! The goal was to do a plug chop after a full throttle run. So, 100+ mph, kill motor and pull in the clutch. Melted the pushrod. Getting home involved pushing, jamming into gear, no clutch shifts, etc. Ugly. The lesson. Do not pull clutch except for normal operation! Look forward to meet in Maine. Hopefully with both of our bikes! PRT

#700180 - 06/30/17 3:18 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: pushrod tom]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

During many dyno runs on the 650 Triumph ,some involved pulling in the clutch and letting the rear wheel coast ,never had a problem like mentioned above..The bike has about 6 ounces of ATF in the primary and Redline synthetic gear oil in the box(transmission)....????

650 Triumph modified production LSR record holder 133.1 MPH... Twin 650 engine Triumph LSR that goes sorta fast...
#700187 - 06/30/17 3:58 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: Hillbilly bike]  
koncretekid Offline
BritBike Forum member
koncretekid  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Nova Scotia, Canada
"So, 100+ mph, In this case the GS Parkway! " - - I didn't know it was possible to do 100 mph on the Garden State Parking Lot! I've never been able to get over about 40mph, and I wouldn't have wanted to be on a motorcycle in any case.

#700236 - 06/30/17 8:39 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
gavin eisler Online content
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
That looks like the cover has been spot faced where the actuator centre has touched, , deepening the spot face is a simple move.My 3 spring beds in a lot in the first couple of hundred miles, it may pay off to give a new stack a bit more end play, say 3/4 of a turn at the centre adjuster to allow for initial bed down.

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
#700241 - 06/30/17 9:53 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: koncretekid]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Originally Posted by koncretekid
"So, 100+ mph, In this case the GS Parkway! " - - I didn't know it was possible to do 100 mph on the Garden State Parking Lot! I've never been able to get over about 40mph, and I wouldn't have wanted to be on a motorcycle in any case.

I grew up in NE New Jersey and at that time bikes were not allowed on the Parkway... Driving to the Jersey Shore in the late 1960's there was little traffic late at night...

#700242 - 06/30/17 10:16 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
Originally Posted by koncretekid
In your case, the dyno operator probably had a brake on the dyno to slow it down, but it still may have required you to hold the clutch disengaged too long.

Tom

it's a BNR drive-- bob newby racing. pam newby answers the telephone. first rate people.

[Linked Image]

while the quality is excellent, it's still essentially a stock design-- when you pull in the clutch, there's no lubrication on either end of the pushrod. i ran this thing twice already at wilmington, with no problems, and no differences in the clutch adjustment that i can recall. it didn't seem to be tight enough to rub, and i'm wondering whether holding it in from 6000 rpm while the drum slows down was what actually did it in.

but if that was a weakness of the newby drives, i would surely have heard of it, because mine isn't the first to ever go on a dyno. i'm still putting my money on an over-tight static adjustment that just let it get overheated and softened to start with, even when released. i've got two new pushrods coming from british cycle supply, and when i put one in i'll cut it short and drop in a ball bearing at one or both ends to see whether that will help. bob's instructions say to cut the pushrod shorter anyway, but since i'm not fitting a full cover i just let it stick out.

i got pam newby on the telephone this morning and ordered several more, then found out that my bank had declined the transaction three times, in spite of me leaving them telephone messages that it was legitimate. upshot of it is that pam and bob are sending me the parts tomorrow morning, even though they haven't yet been paid. "we know what racing is like . . . "

first rate people.

#700244 - 06/30/17 10:32 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
on a different note, i noticed that the spark from the old ARD was somewhat scattered, with outliers 5 degrees or so off the mark. i looked in, and discovered that the single fire rotor was a bit loose on the mount on the end of the magneto's armature shaft, which would account for it. i tightened up the set screw holding the rotor mount to the armature, but it went in tight, and would pull loose a bit if i winkled the rotor off to get at the points. apparently somebody in the past has screwed up the threads with an incorrect screw.

taking the armature out to replace or repair the hole in its shaft is problematic, as the oil seal is staked in place. so i've got parts coming from morse magneto to convert the single fire distributor-type magneto to a dual fire waste-spark type, like they use in harleys. the modification gets rid of the rotor, the old single-tower coil, and the 180-degree distributor cap, and removes the complexity of the single fire system.

i'm all for removing anything that might break from this chain of catastrophes, so this will be an improvement in both spark (i hope) and engineering elegance.

the down side is that the lexan cap is transparent, so you can watch the sparks at night. lexan is functionally less brittle than the bakelite equivalent, but my aesthetic sense is offended by gimmicks like clear magneto caps. but it works better, so the tackiness will have to stay . . .

#700245 - 06/30/17 10:35 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
Andy Higham Online content
BritBike Forum member
Andy Higham  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Bolton Lancs UK
Just a thought, were the ends of your push rod hardened?
I always use a two piece pushrod, each hardened both ends with a hard ball between them

1955 BSA B31 400cc "Stargazer"
1962 Greeves 200cc "Blue Meanie"
1962/67 Greeves 350cc
1967 Greeves 360cc Challenger
1984 Suzuki GSX1100 EFE "Sorcerers Apprentice"
Modified Nu-Trak GM500cc sprint/LSR bike "Deofol"
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille "Lo Stregone"
#700246 - 06/30/17 10:53 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
no, andy, not to my knowledge. these are triumphs, after all, so i imagine the pushrod was just a piece of cheap steel, straight out of the factory. MAP used to sell pushrods made from hardened drill rod, but i don't know whether they still do.

i don't know what the pushrod is made of, so i don't know whether flaming it up and quenching in something like water would harden it or not. probably wouldn't hurt. i agree that a ball bearing would probably go a long way to solving the problem. maybe more than one, for that matter.

#700247 - 06/30/17 10:58 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: gavin eisler]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
Originally Posted by gavin eisler
That looks like the cover has been spot faced where the actuator centre has touched, , deepening the spot face is a simple move.My 3 spring beds in a lot in the first couple of hundred miles, it may pay off to give a new stack a bit more end play, say 3/4 of a turn at the centre adjuster to allow for initial bed down.

i will take that advice. i did it a normal half-turn, i think, which was fine before . . .

#700265 - 07/01/17 12:58 am Re: mail-order LSR [Re: Andy Higham]  
David Dunfey Offline
BritBike Forum member
David Dunfey  Offline
BritBike Forum member

New Hampshire, USA
Originally Posted by Andy Higham
Just a thought, were the ends of your push rod hardened?
I always use a two piece pushrod, each hardened both ends with a hard ball between them

Kevin,

I am with Andy on this one. I use the Newby clutch. The tranny requires a 6 mm diameter clutch push rod. I used oil hardening drill rod, making a segmented push rod (two piece) while using a small bearing (round with two flat ends, but a ball should work) to separate the two pieces. I get the bearing from Coventry.

I made the push rod segment that touches the clutch adjuster quite short with the idea that if it spins with the clutch adjuster it has little or no momentum. If the short segment spins, it should lose that spin at the bearing separator so that the long segment, with luck, will rarely spin. Both ends of each of the push rods are hardened.

This is a road racer has done lots of dyno time on a dyno with no brake. It has always been raced using 7,000 as a shift point. It has rarely run under 6000 and has 10 years service. I did not know that any maker used an unhardened clutch push rod, but that is tough duty for mild steel. I got the drill rod from McMaster. That alone may solve your problem, but I no nothing about the Triumph mechanism.

Good Luck!

David

#700267 - 07/01/17 1:03 am Re: mail-order LSR [Re: David Dunfey]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
Originally Posted by David Dunfey

Good Luck!

lol

i'll see what i can do.

no time left, you know . . .

Last edited by kevin roberts; 07/01/17 1:05 am.

#700268 - 07/01/17 1:07 am Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Correct me if I'm wrong but on the dyno you pull in the clutch at high speeds and let the dyno roller spin the rear wheel...If the engine was at an idle with the rear wheel spinning down, it's no different to the clutch pushrod, than sitting at a stop with the clutch pulled in..Yes?
I'm pretty sure I hardened the pushrod ends on several bikes...heat the end to red and plunge in oil..Then heat to about 400 degrees (metal gets a straw color) and let it cool at room temperature...This will anneal the metal so it's still hard but not brittle...

#700276 - 07/01/17 1:53 am Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike
Correct me if I'm wrong but on the dyno you pull in the clutch at high speeds and let the dyno roller spin the rear wheel...If the engine was at an idle with the rear wheel spinning down, it's no different to the clutch pushrod, than sitting at a stop with the clutch pulled in..Yes?

yes, you're right-- just like sitting at a light with the lever pulled in . . . except i don't do that at 6000 rpm for 30 seconds or so.

even so, it has to be me. i can't believe doing that one time would melt the pushrod. it must have been too tight, and therefore already over-heated . . .

I'm pretty sure I hardened the pushrod ends on several bikes...heat the end to red and plunge in oil..Then heat to about 400 degrees (metal gets a straw color) and let it cool at room temperature...This will anneal the metal so it's still hard but not brittle...

i quench my knife blades in motor oil, from a cherry red. works okay so far. you're suggesting a second heating and slow air-cool?

#700304 - 07/01/17 10:10 am Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Originally Posted by kevin roberts
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike

yes, you're right-- just like sitting at a light with the lever pulled in . . . except i don't do that at 6000 rpm for 30 seconds or so.

even so, it has to be me. i can't believe doing that one time would melt the pushrod. it must have been too tight, and therefore already over-heated . . .

I was thinking that when you pull in the clutch and the rear wheel is spinning down, you are not holding the throttle open...And I'm assuming the rod is not being spun by the gearbox main shaft.....

#700312 - 07/01/17 11:38 am Re: mail-order LSR [Re: Hillbilly bike]  
koncretekid Offline
BritBike Forum member
koncretekid  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Nova Scotia, Canada
I made new correct length pushrods from oil hardening drill rod, heated to red hot on ends, plunged into oil, then polished the ends in a lathe with progressively finer sandpaper down to 2,000 grit with oil. The ends were then mirror finish. The B50 has a 3/16" clutch rod, but runs in small bushings at each end of the mainshaft. So cutting the rod in half (I have seen this done) requires removing one of the small bushings to insert a 1/4" ball bearing and then replacing the end bushing. Problem then is that the pushrod ends are now floating in a 1/4" bore so will not center on the internal ball bearing, so I did not do this.

BUT, for insurance, I no longer pull the clutch back in after each pull, but simply let the engine braking help slow the dyno wheel while depressing the rear brake (no brake on dyno). I've made dozens of dyno pulls on this motor with no ill consequences of doing so, from 7500 rpm to idle, with a 90mm stroke Carrillo rod and JE piston. I would think your Triumph could do that safely, with no clutch push rod issues.

"I was thinking that when you pull in the clutch and the rear wheel is spinning down, you are not holding the throttle open...And I'm assuming the rod is not being spun by the gearbox main shaft....."

The difference is that the dyno wheel is still spinning driving the rear wheel at over 100 mph and hence the mainshaft, clutch rod, and clutch center as well as the the pressure plate are still spinning until the dyno wheel slows down.

Tom

#700322 - 07/01/17 1:11 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

new jersey usa
KK has explained it well. If you pull in the clutch with the wheel going 100+ and the engine at idle you will melt the actuating mechanism quickly, hardened or not. Trying to find neutral in that situation could be fatal for engine and/or rider also. I would love to do a 'plug chop' after a run but it's just not worth the risk!
It has been a while since I have done any real road testing. There were several incidents, both mechanical and law enforcement generated, that convinced me to abandon that method!!
If I may ramble a bit. Before the boss got the dyno he used to send me out on the Pakway to test the results of our repairs etc. This included ZX=11's, GSXR's, Busa's etc. A couple of them had nitrous and I was required to 'push the button'. My Goodness, what a rush!! Well over 100. Foolhardy. The speed differential was more than the speed limit of 65. And, yes, HB, I rode to the shore a few times on the old road and also had to make my way to the NY Thruway on pre parkway roads. The shore route was tedious. Thruway connection not too bad. Ahh, memories. PRT

#700326 - 07/01/17 1:39 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
so.

given these primitive and unlubed clutch release mechanisms, what's the least risky technique to decel?

tony, you have had no difficulty with a stock 3-spring set up. perhaps you have the magic touch.

tom and tom, you've both experienced otherwise with a decel with tbe clutch disengaged.

the newby has six springs and a pretty hard pull at the lever. maybe back the springs off? i've been running thd buttons down flush. certainly increase the freeplay, as gavin suggested

dave and andy suggest intermediate bearings.

maybe the answer is to stay away from the dyno?

#700335 - 07/01/17 2:51 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Kevin . Never any clutch problems despite declutching at high rpm on the dyno a few times . At the track the clutch has been faultless . Its a stock three spring assembly with cheap Tiawan plates and T140 springs But the bike does require a new primary chain about six runs

Page 39 of 42 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 42

Moderated by  Allan Gill 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.573s Queries: 16 (0.153s) Memory: 1.0176 MB (Peak: 1.3817 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-25 05:50:51 UTC