BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
63SuperRocket
63SuperRocket
Portland, ME
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
220 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,763 guests, and 545 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews
9958 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 190
koan58 100
Stuart 86
NickL 72
Popular Topics(Views)
437,841 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,282
Posts632,304
Members9,958
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 38 of 42 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 41 42
#699097 - 06/20/17 2:26 am Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
Jerry Roy Online content
BritBike Forum member
Jerry Roy  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Denver CO

#699132 - 06/20/17 12:26 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
Hillbilly bike Online content
BritBike Forum member
Hillbilly bike  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Running from demons in WNY
Kevin, Summit Racing has more than a few 1-5/8 mandrel bends in radius greater than 2-1/2 inch.. Just search their online catalog for exhaust tubing ,then go to 1-5/8 and then to mandel bends...They have very fast delivery and a huge warehouse in Ohio.....
But...maybe just run what you have at this point in time?

650 Triumph modified production LSR record holder 133.1 MPH... Twin 650 engine Triumph LSR that goes sorta fast...
#699152 - 06/20/17 5:14 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
Blown Income Online content
BritBike Forum member
Blown Income  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Edgewater, Md
Kevin,

The exhaust doesnt look too bad for using a 120v MIG Welder. I recently just finished up my new stepped pipes with s.s material from Cone. I agree their radius are a little on the tight side but at least you are not limited on space like I am with a fairing.

[Linked Image]

1955 BSA Bantam D1 Plunger
1956 BSA A10RR Street and LSR Bike
1961 BSA C15S
1966 BSA spitfire
1969 Triumph T100C
1970 Triumph TR6R
1972 BSA Lightning LSR Bike
1974 Triumph T150V
#699154 - 06/20/17 5:33 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
DMadigan Offline
BritBike Forum member
DMadigan  Offline
BritBike Forum member

ca, us
Woolfaircraft.com has 1-5/8" tubes in 1-5/8" to 8" centreline radius. I made this with their tube and Cone's mufflers.
[Linked Image]
A set of saddle clamps hold the tubes and allow access all around the tube for welding.
[Linked Image]

#699157 - 06/20/17 5:41 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
Blown Income Online content
BritBike Forum member
Blown Income  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Edgewater, Md
^^^That looks Nice^^^ I like the alignment tool also.

1955 BSA Bantam D1 Plunger
1956 BSA A10RR Street and LSR Bike
1961 BSA C15S
1966 BSA spitfire
1969 Triumph T100C
1970 Triumph TR6R
1972 BSA Lightning LSR Bike
1974 Triumph T150V
#699189 - 06/20/17 8:50 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: DMadigan]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

[quote=DMadigan]Woolfaircraft.com has 1-5/8" tubes in 1-5/8" to 8" centreline radius. I made this with their tube and Cone's mufflers.
[Linked Image]
A set of saddle clamps hold the tubes and allow access all around the tube for welding.
[Linked Image][/quote

Looks like a 20 inch primary and about 16 collector/megaphone...I had a guy with a Pipemax exhaust design program come up with something very similar for my Triumph 650 LSR bike...

650 Triumph modified production LSR record holder 133.1 MPH... Twin 650 engine Triumph LSR that goes sorta fast...
#699193 - 06/20/17 10:05 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
Allan Gill Offline
Allan Gill  Offline

Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
I'm not sure why the big ooh ahh is for mandril bends on none tight corners. I used to make exhaust under the powerflow name, powerflow were the only ones who didn't use mandril bends (unless the bend was sharp) on book their brand exhausts were the best performing on the market.

The inside of the bend is dead space, think of a river and how it meanders, the outer bend is deeper as the river cuts into the side, it flows faster, the inner bend fills with silt because that is where the flow is slower, same principle here.

For my clubmans style copy pipe 2-1, I sent the short section off to a pipe bending company and asked them to make me two copies, just longer than my example. Not mandril bends but run very well.

beerchug
#699234 - 06/21/17 3:30 am Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
DMadigan Offline
BritBike Forum member
DMadigan  Offline
BritBike Forum member

ca, us
That bike was a special for Dan Macias' son-in-law. Dan had an 800cc cheater motor and Shell frame sitting around for years that he was always going to finish for himself but never got around to. Mike wanted it to look like the flat trackers of the day but still rideable on the street which is the reason for the modifications.
Sure, modern exhausts are better but so is everything else compared to these old bikes.

#699253 - 06/21/17 10:33 am Re: mail-order LSR [Re: Allan Gill]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Originally Posted by Allan Gill
I'm not sure why the big ooh ahh is for mandril bends on none tight corners. I used to make exhaust under the powerflow name, powerflow were the only ones who didn't use mandril bends (unless the bend was sharp) on book their brand exhausts were the best performing on the market.

The inside of the bend is dead space, think of a river and how it meanders, the outer bend is deeper as the river cuts into the side, it flows faster, the inner bend fills with silt because that is where the flow is slower, same principle here.

For my clubmans style copy pipe 2-1, I sent the short section off to a pipe bending company and asked them to make me two copies, just longer than my example. Not mandril bends but run very well.

I have never seen anything but mandrel bent exhaust on successful racing vehicles.If your statement was universally true, tuners looking for any advantage would not use mandrel bends.. And to be honest,mandrel bends just look better...That's why I'm suggesting grinding the welds for a smoother appearance where the exhaust is in plain sight..

#699258 - 06/21/17 11:55 am Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
Mark Parker Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mark Parker  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Bega NSW Australia
Dave's pipes look lovely. Practicality for me is non mandrel bends, does one type lose HP I don't know. Size and configuration I would think have more significance. Some race pipes are sometimes flattened or shaped up near the port to combat reversion. I would have thought a bit of reversion caused by big pipes would be livable with LSR bikes if they give more top end bias. I guess it depends what the engine's breathing will support.

I'm interested to know if 2 into 1s can be configured to give more top end than two single pipes? What have people found?

Triples seem best with 3 into1s.

With twins I remember Troy Corser racing an Aprilia twin in superbikes and it wasn't competitive till they replaced a 2into1 with a twin system. The twin system was connected though. Why I think an 'X' connector twin system would be advantageous.

mark
#699264 - 06/21/17 12:39 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: Mark Parker]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Originally Posted by Mark Parker
Dave's pipes look lovely. Practicality for me is non mandrel bends, does one type lose HP I don't know. Size and configuration I would think have more significance. Some race pipes are sometimes flattened or shaped up near the port to combat reversion. I would have thought a bit of reversion caused by big pipes would be livable with LSR bikes if they give more top end bias. I guess it depends what the engine's breathing will support.

I'm interested to know if 2 into 1s can be configured to give more top end than two single pipes? What have people found?

With twins I remember Troy Corser racing an Aprilia twin in superbikes and it wasn't competitive till they replaced a 2into1 with a twin system. The twin system was connected though. Why I think an 'X' connector twin system would be advantageous.

360 degree Brit LSR bikes have a variety of exhaust styles..But it appears that 1-1/2 -1-5/8 diameter individual pipes with or without megaphones is the most popular on the fastest bikes...
I tried a two into one on my 650 LSR Triumph....I fabricated it to the Pipemax computer design...1-1/2 x 19 inch primaries into a 2-1/2 x 17 inch collector....On the Superflow dyno it made slight more midrange but a bit less on top end than the individual 1-1/2 x 38 inch straight pipes...I didn't have the resources to carry on more testing on the two into one....I believe a lot of the benefits are lost to the 360 degree firing order...
1-3/4 pipes for a cylinder making less than 40 HP is larger than auto tuners use on engines making a lot more power...I don't know if it's a fair comparison however..Generally, most exhaust "experts" claim a larger than necessary diameter pipe will add about 1% on top end for a loss of 10% in the midrange.. Of course some engines are more tolerant of pipe size than others

X pipes for auto tuning are used primarily on V8 engines to improve lower speed power. on vehicles with full exhaust systems..In drag racing that's all about top end and they use anything to gain an advantage, X pipes aren't used on collector type headers...
My 96 Ducati 900 daily rider makes about 68 HP at the rear wheel and the stock exhaust has 42 MM head pies with an X pipe. I believe the X pipe is to increase mid range and offer better flow with "restrictive" stock mufflers......Ducati racing exhausts use a modifed X pipe ..Seems to be what's used on most V twin racers...

#699283 - 06/21/17 6:58 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: Hillbilly bike]  
Allan Gill Offline
Allan Gill  Offline

Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike

I have never seen anything but mandrel bent exhaust on successful racing vehicles.If your statement was universally true, tuners looking for any advantage would not use mandrel bends.. And to be honest,mandrel bends just look better...That's why I'm suggesting grinding the welds for a smoother appearance where the exhaust is in plain sight..

Have you ever seen a bike not using mandrel bends? Your right that mandrel bends look better but it doesn't mean it performs any better, a lot of the time things are done because no one ever challenges what's happened before. All I'm saying is what I know from when I made pipes in my last job. The effect with the air flow is identical to that with the inlet.

I can't remember the website now, but when I started doing my headwork Mark P directed me to a website giving the how it's done, he also did some work on exhaust ports too, the bearing on that matter would be similar... if mark still knows the link?

beerchug
#699310 - 06/22/17 12:20 am Re: mail-order LSR [Re: Allan Gill]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Have you ever seen a bike not using mandrel bends? Your right that mandrel bends look better but it doesn't mean it performs any better, a lot of the time things are done because no one ever challenges what's happened before. All I'm saying is what I know from when I made pipes in my last job. The effect with the air flow is identical to that with the inlet.

I can't remember the website now, but when I started doing my headwork Mark P directed me to a website giving the how it's done, he also did some work on exhaust ports too, the bearing on that matter would be similar... if mark still knows the link?

You may find this of interest, some drama but worth the 14 minutes......Just smash the headers to make more power............

Header bashing

#699472 - 06/24/17 1:21 am Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
kevin roberts Online content
BritBike Forum member
kevin roberts  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
no more time for the pipes . . . i'm going to run what i brung, and any changes will be in version 2.

tach issues. my pretty eurotrash veglia-replica speedo won't fit down in front of the triple clamps without a longer cable. can't do a longer cable ASAP because it needs to be italian on top and british on the bottom. but Steadfast to the rescue! he sells a 37-inch cable to go to a T140 speedo, and both are on the way. if they don't get here, i can steal the late instrument bracket from my long-suffering T120 and mount the repro veglia on it, up on the triple tree. won't be able to see it during a run, but that's life.

my firesleeve from pegasus is too tight to let the fuel flow through the lines. i bought 11/16-inch to cover 5/16-inch fuel injection hose, but it won't bend without kinking--should have bought 1-inch. i won't spend more money at $0.88 per inch just to look good, so i'll save that nicety for next time as well.

dyno scheduled for thursday next. will be cranking it up on first day, day after tomorrow, if the pipe brackets arrive on time. or even if they don't.

time enough to finish, not so if something goes wrong.

Into the distance a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a windswept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
A fatal attraction is holding me fast how
How can I escape this irresistible grasp?
#699492 - 06/24/17 12:11 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

With the Rob Hall head and the cams, your engine should be good for 55 RWHP (depending on the dyno) and that should be good for near 130 MPH with the right gearing and if you can coax your old body into an effective tuck...

#699493 - 06/24/17 12:56 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
with the low tanks i can jam my head down and look out from under the top triple clamp. i'm stretching so i don't go into rigor mortis at the half-mile mark.

i'm coming with 18, 19, 20, 21, 43, and 46-tooth sprocketing. i should find something in there with several days to look.

#699509 - 06/24/17 4:52 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

I used 4.47 overall gearing with a 27.5 inch tall rear tire to run 128 plus MPH at Loring...About 7050 RPM.... , more or less the peak power on the dynamometer...

#699536 - 06/25/17 1:28 am Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
koncretekid Offline
BritBike Forum member
koncretekid  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Nova Scotia, Canada
At Loring, no firesleeve required except on un-valved portions of fuel line such as crossovers, if that helps. Instruments must be mounted no lower than 2" below top of upper triple clamps in M class.

Good luck with the Dyno runs. Get the Air Fuel ratio at wide open throttle correct first, then play with the timing to get maximum hp. Gear for maximum hp rpm at the lights.

Tom

Life's uncertain - go fast now!
#699579 - 06/25/17 6:11 pm Re: mail-order LSR [Re: Mark Parker]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
Originally Posted by Mark Parker

i'd like to find an answer to this as well. to me, the big thing about separate pipes is that they're simply easier for me to think about. you can disconnect each cylinder's positive and negative pressure pulses from each other, and not try to also understand the interactions. with a 2-into-1, you have to consider the pulses from the right side that affect the cylinder filling on the other side . . . even so, car people deal with this routinely, as do tuners of most machines with more than two cylinders.

rob hall uses a 2-into-1 on some of his machines, he says. and last september, a nice fellow from australia ran a 650cc triumph to 116 with a 2-into-1 leading to a short collector right under the motor.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#699605 - 06/26/17 12:07 am Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
it runs.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

briefly, anyway. started right up with a few kicks, kept dying because the idle was too low. cranked up the idle, and it switched to single kick start. ran it for a minute or two then it shut off suddenly. now it kicks back viciously, so i'm assuming the timing has slipped. will fix it tomorrow.

i've got some awful video, but my telephone won't upload anything at the moment. tach even works, stuck up there on top of the forks.

pipes are cut off at 34 inches, measuring around the outside. with the extensions i can change to to 36, 38, 40, and 42. that's all i can do as i ran out of tube. lol.

#699632 - 06/26/17 6:41 am Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
Allan Gill Offline
Allan Gill  Offline

Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
I would say your slides are too high and mixture not correct for it to be kicking back like that.

beerchug
#699642 - 06/26/17 10:10 am Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
i'm sure that could contribute, allan. i havdnt done anything to the carbs except balance them briefly with a unisyn.

the timing on the ARD is set aporoximatelt by positioning the lower pulley wheel. then you loosen two grubscrews and rotating the separete outer rim of the pulley to position tbe breaker cam correctlty. my wheelwas formerly frozen up, and now that it is free i'm pretty sure the pulley rim just slipped back on the hub. the machine shut off suddenly and then wouln't restart.

damn telephone self editing

anyway i'll look it over tonight. i hhave the magneto itself set in the middle ofits 10 degree adjustment range, so i can fine tune with that and not mess with yhe grubscrews, once i'm close

#699738 - 06/27/17 12:26 am Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
got it going again. the exhaust camshaft drives the lower wheel through a steel hub that centers the aluminum pulley wheel. i had made the mistake of tightening the grub screws before tightening the center fixing bolt (the one that normally holds the AAU cam), so the wheel was never fully secured, and slipped backwards around the steel hub after a few minutes.

this time i tapped the aluminum wheel into place, tightedned the fixing bolt, and then did the grubscrews . . .

runs okay, oil returns, even idles, sort of lumpy, though. haven't messed with the idle mixture screws at all, that's tomorrow, maybe.

brandon moore came through three days early from Steadfast with the smiths-style tach, and the longer drive cable fits perfectly, so i have the peek-a-boo tach view from under the top triple clamp after all.

video sooner or later. my number one son pulled out his camera, but we have slow-fi here so it's still uploading to youtube.

yo here it is

#699740 - 06/27/17 1:05 am Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts]  
shel Online content
BritBike Forum member
shel  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

ohio
You're a big guy, Kev. putting #1 son on that thing might good for a couple free MPH, lol. Was that the unisyn you put on there at the end of the vid? I bought one used but haven't used it yet, I don't have any instructions with it but I think I know it works.

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
#699744 - 06/27/17 1:39 am Re: mail-order LSR [Re: shel]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
i'm way big. i started out at 210, but i'm down to 188 now so i can fold up tighter. maybe 185 by 09 july? lol

big is a problem. you can't fake the wind resistance.

actually, my number one daughter might be better than the boy, at 107, and skinny like a hot teenager, to my eternal concern. she's got her learner's permit but just dirt bikes until i get the pazon on the 65 BSA to make it reliable enough for her to kickstart. she's small enough to go fast and young enough to want to.

yes, that was the unisyn. took just that long to check the balance on the carbs. they were both spot on, but if they hadn't been, i'd just have turned the idle screws in or out until the little orange bobble-thingie was at the same height on both carbs.

the unisyn and 30 seconds of attention makes the motor go bonk bonk bonk bonk as low as you think your oil pressure will tolerate. i never knew my motors could idle so well until i got one.

Page 38 of 42 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

Moderated by  Allan Gill 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.260s Queries: 16 (0.098s) Memory: 1.0203 MB (Peak: 1.3899 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-22 11:23:16 UTC