BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
dogge
dogge
sweden
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
222 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,723 guests, and 567 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews
9958 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 189
koan58 100
Stuart 85
NickL 72
Popular Topics(Views)
438,173 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,286
Posts632,360
Members9,958
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#524144 - 01/22/14 1:39 am BSA (and other) gear cluster IDs needed  
Nark Offline
BritBike Forum member
Nark  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Boston
Hi all,

I'm cleaning out my shop and have come up with a melange of gearbox parts that don't go with any bikes I have. Some are leftovers from projects that are lost in the mists of time, some came with lots of parts and I never knew what it was. I was hoping to get some help IDing the various bits.

The first batch is BSA A50/A65 or similar, but I'm not sure what else was similiar:

There are four groups of gears, a number next to a gear denotes the number of teeth. I'm pretty sure there are standard, wide, and close ratio here.

The second batch, I don't know what they are:

The third batch, this is totally random stuff. Could be anything from Harley to Honda Minibike in here:

And the fourth batch, this is real crap, but some is distinctive and may be related to some of the other stuff:

Can anyone ID this stuff? I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#524313 - 01/23/14 9:25 am Re: BSA (and other) gear cluster IDs needed [Re: Nark]  
Mark Parker Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mark Parker  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Bega NSW Australia
In #1 the 24t and 16t are C/Ratio 1st gear pairs. In #3 is a 23t C/R second it should pair with a 25t partner which might be there hard to tell without counting teeth. If those gears are good and you don't want to use them, I have a friend looking for some. 5/10 is an A65 camgear.

mark
#527479 - 02/11/14 8:38 am Re: BSA (and other) gear cluster IDs needed [Re: Mark Parker]  
Nark Offline
BritBike Forum member
Nark  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Boston
Thanks for the info. The close ratio gears are not prime material, a little bit of pitting, but not so much that I wouldn't race on them. I don't have the mainshaft 2nd though, and the dogs on the layshaft 2nd are a bit too rounded, I suspect it'll have problems popping out of gear. I'll grind them to a bit of an undercut and see what they look like. PM me with your contact info, I'll try taking better pictures to show what condition the teeth are in, but I've had trouble getting good photos of the partially dark and partially reflective gears.

#527480 - 02/11/14 8:47 am Re: BSA (and other) gear cluster IDs needed [Re: Nark]  
Nark Offline
BritBike Forum member
Nark  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Boston
I've figured out what most of the stuff is - most of the ones in the 2nd photo are Triumph 350/500, plus some Triumph 5 speed and a 650 4 speed or two. I also found a handful of Norton and a couple from CB350.

This is what I've got left that I can't identify - the top row reminds me of Royal Enfield, that's the only thing I know of that has the four large dogs, but don't think they are. The pressure angle of the ones in the top middle makes me think something with a lot of torque, but I don't know what and I have no idea where they came from. It's tough to get good pictures of these things.

#527496 - 02/11/14 10:43 am Re: BSA (and other) gear cluster IDs needed [Re: Nark]  
Allan Gill Offline
Allan Gill  Offline

Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
Nark, If you are after selling the C/R gears, I will take them off you. I will have to do some checking, but I might (that's a big might) be able to get copies made, using these as a pattern.

beerchug
#527550 - 02/11/14 4:52 pm Re: BSA (and other) gear cluster IDs needed [Re: Nark]  
Ed V Offline
Sponsor Member
Ed V  Offline

Sponsor Member

Howard City, MI
At one point in time you were playing with a 4 speed Sportster as I see a male and female gear from one in your list there

#527616 - 02/11/14 9:07 pm Re: BSA (and other) gear cluster IDs needed [Re: Allan Gill]  
NickL Online content
BritBike Forum member
NickL  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Aus
Originally Posted By: Allan Gill
Nark, If you are after selling the C/R gears, I will take them off you. I will have to do some checking, but I might (that's a big might) be able to get copies made, using these as a pattern.

You only want 1st and 2nd close gears 3rd is too close to top.
I have a couple of close boxes and went to get some copies made for spares 10 years ago, the guy wanted $400 each for the moving gears as they are a pig to make. You would be better off getting a 5 speed triumph cluster and getting a layshaft top gear with one extra tooth made, that closes up the box nicely and means that you then just have to get a camplate machined to suit. This was another of the projects i never got around to finishing. the extension on the box is easy and you can mod the quadrant from a triumph etc. You need the camplate to sort it out.

You can give the gear maker standard ratio gears if you need to get pricing arranged for the close bsa box, just tell him tooth counts. The dog arrangement in this box is pretty crap though, the quaife/ triumph arrangement is much better.

Nick

#527703 - 02/12/14 11:57 am Re: BSA (and other) gear cluster IDs needed [Re: Ed V]  
Nark Offline
BritBike Forum member
Nark  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Boston
Which ones are the Sportster? I've never been inside one, but I've got a lot of weird parts that came in lots with stuff that I wanted. For some reason I'd wondered about Harley, it might have just been the size of the gears and the odd pressure angle of the teeth, but I wasn't able to match them to pictures I could find online.

#527727 - 02/12/14 1:28 pm Re: BSA (and other) gear cluster IDs needed [Re: Nark]  
Ed V Offline
Sponsor Member
Ed V  Offline

Sponsor Member

Howard City, MI
The center two gears at the top of the last photo are 4 speed Sportster gears, I am not sure if they are layshaft or mainshaft though.

#527739 - 02/12/14 1:44 pm Re: BSA (and other) gear cluster IDs needed [Re: Ed V]  
Elijah Offline
BritBike Forum member
Elijah  Offline
BritBike Forum member

South Africa.
Top row , fourth gear along is 45" HD flattie.
Second row , second along is HD big twin K/S ratchet, fifth along is 45" K/S ratchet.
Bottom row fourth item is 45" HD " shifter clutch"

#527848 - 02/12/14 10:14 pm Re: BSA (and other) gear cluster IDs needed [Re: Elijah]  
Nark Offline
BritBike Forum member
Nark  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Boston
Ok, so youse guys recognized the Harley gears, do you have any use for them? I'm guessing they're not high value items, please correct me if I'm wrong, but you can have them for the price of postage if you want. Otherwise I'll take them to the local Harley shop (who tolerate me when I come in looking for weird parts left over from the chopper days for my Triumph hack) and see if they want the stuff.

Anything I can't identify, or can identify but don't care about, and isn't worth selling, within a week is going to a welder/artist friend. Anything British or Italian is stuff I care about.

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.436s Queries: 15 (0.078s) Memory: 0.8691 MB (Peak: 1.0697 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-22 18:31:52 UTC