BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
dogge
dogge
sweden
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
222 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,721 guests, and 567 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews
9958 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 189
koan58 100
Stuart 85
NickL 72
Popular Topics(Views)
438,173 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,286
Posts632,360
Members9,958
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#482947 - 03/25/13 5:44 pm Re: Missing Threads [Re: Gary E]  
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Gnashville
So, can we just get rid of the posts I made when I came home drunk? laughing

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#482949 - 03/25/13 5:50 pm Re: Missing Threads [Re: DavidP]  
Gary E Offline
BritBike Forum member
Gary E  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Medford, Oregon
Originally Posted By: Alex
Oh, and Swan: If you want to resurrect your thread: google it, click on the arrows to the right of the search result that will appear when you hover your mouse over it and click on "cached". And you will go to google' archive of the thread. You van then copy and repost this thread, though you will have to create new links to the images.

For me it only brought up the first page of the thread. The Hornet/Wasp et al thread has 64 pages.

Originally Posted By: DavidP
So, can we just get rid of the posts I made when I came home drunk? laughing

Apparently so.

1967 BSA Wasp
1967 BSA Hornet (West Coast Model)
1967 BSA Hornet (East Coast Model)
1968 BSA Firebird Scrambler
1968 BSA Spitfire Mark IV
#482950 - 03/25/13 5:51 pm Re: Missing Threads [Re: Gary E]  
Irish Swede Online content
BritBike Forum member
Irish Swede  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Elburn, Ill. USA
I have given some thought to this since my last entry.

I have always freely given my knowledge and experience to this site for the good of all, as has Magnetoman, KADUTZ, and so may others, in the belief that shared information benefits all of us in our efforts.
Once "out there," it is for the free, and future, use of everyone
interested in rebuilding, restoring and operating British bikes.

How anyone can now "reclaim" what he has put onto this site and demand its withdrawal from the site is beyond my understanding, ESPECIALLY as this act has removed many bits of information that were NOT of his creation to begin with. Deletion of this additional information ("IMHO") amounts to theft.

Morgan, I suggest that it become BRITBIKE'S policy that what ever is submitted to this site becomes the PROPERTY of this site, and that this policy be listed, understood and agreed to by all contributors to this site.

#482954 - 03/25/13 6:15 pm Re: Missing Threads [Re: Gary E]  
kommando Online content
kommando  Online Content

Scotland
This is the first time Morgan has deleted threads from a power user, in the past he has deleted accounts and posts but only users with post counts in the 200's at most. These worked so he had no idea that size counts and Allan Gills deletion would cause the problem it has.

#482977 - 03/25/13 7:35 pm Re: Missing Threads [Re: Gary E]  
gavin eisler Online content
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
It seems a bit rich that one poster can cause so much chaos. I will particularly miss the Goldstar thread.
It seems unfair that so many should suffer for one persons excessive verbosity.
I wonder what caused Mr Gill to throw his teddy out of the pram.?

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
#482994 - 03/25/13 8:46 pm Re: Missing Threads [Re: gavin eisler]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
kommando was trying to set it straight.

gavin, I'm replying to your post but not really talking to just you.

Allan didn't ask Morgan to do anything Morgan hadn't done before for other people.

Morgan didn't do anything different than he had done before for other people.

It looks like the site's SOFTWARE is what might have done something different this time around.

From what we're hearing it deleted Allan's replies to posts, it deleted threads started by Allan and ended up deleting some threads for unknown reasons. (maybe Allan had replied to them but he didn't start them????) Not all the threads Allan replied to were deleted.

It is a shame that "maybe" some important information is lost....BUT if a thread is so important to you that you are going to go through a LOT OF GRIEF over losing it, maybe you should have printed out a hard copy for yourself so you weren't relying on software to keep it for you. Don't we all backup our data on our computers at home from time to time????

I'm sorry some of you are having a hard time with all of this. But IMO blaming Allan is just wrong.

Gordon Gray

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 03/25/13 8:47 pm.
#482999 - 03/25/13 9:04 pm Re: Missing Threads [Re: Gary E]  
Gary E Offline
BritBike Forum member
Gary E  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Medford, Oregon
So back to old technology, paper, eh Gordon. The LOT OF GRIEF is not about 'should have printed to paper everything we post'. It's about the hours and hours spent developing and contributing to a thread or threads, such as the Hornet/Wasp et al thread (over 300,000 hits), or some of the builder threads, or the Gold Star thread, and many others, something I don't know if you have experienced or not.

Yes, I do think it is Gills fault. The event wouldn't have occurred otherwise. It is probably burning a ton of Morgans time trying to rectify the situation. Time better spent doing something more fun.

1967 BSA Wasp
#483008 - 03/25/13 9:19 pm Re: Missing Threads [Re: Gary E]  
Gary E Offline
BritBike Forum member
Gary E  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Medford, Oregon
I don't know that I'm smarter than you, probably not. All's well that ends well. Hopefully, the missing thread situation will end well.

Update: This post was in response to a previous post by Gordon, of which is now gone.

Last edited by Gary E; 03/27/13 8:43 pm.

1967 BSA Wasp
#483011 - 03/25/13 9:23 pm Re: Missing Threads [Re: Gary E]  
Tridentman Online content
BritBike Forum member
Tridentman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

New Jersey USA
Beats me why Gill wanted all his postings removed.
If I were to fall out with this site I would just walk away---leaving past postings where they are and not posting any more.
But perhaps I am just a strange old bugger!

#483024 - 03/25/13 10:17 pm Re: Missing Threads [Re: Gary E]  
Wilfred Offline
BritBike Forum member
Wilfred  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
And, like Irish Swede, I will continue to print postings that are of particular interest to me as I am usually not sure that I can find them should the need arise. Much of the info is very interesting and useful and I like to print a lot regarding unit T100 bikes, especially after JH has posted his most valuable insights. Cheers, Wilf

Last edited by Wilfred; 03/25/13 10:22 pm.

"It's about the ride..."
#483025 - 03/25/13 10:22 pm Re: Missing Threads [Re: Wilfred]  
JBMorris Offline
BritBike Forum member
JBMorris  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Farmington,Connecticut,USA
Sour grapes, fragile egos, ho-hum nothing new. . .
If Morgan the Magnanimous has the inclination, he can relegate the missing thread to the 'Old' forum. . ?

1978 Bonneville T140V PX
#483037 - 03/25/13 10:51 pm Re: Missing Threads [Re: Gary E]  
Rohan Online content
BritBike Forum member
Rohan  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Oztralia
Everything posted up until about a year ago (the most recent backup, it seems) is still available in The Wayback Machine - internet archive of EVERYTHING on the web.

http://web.archive.org/web/20120316055939/http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=1&page=1

Non-deletable, non-erasable, permanent record of everything.
However, it may not have saved all the thread contents....

Hopethishelps.

#483047 - 03/25/13 11:36 pm Re: Missing Threads [Re: Gary E]  
Atlanta Bonnie Offline
BritBike Forum member
Atlanta Bonnie  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Atlanta, Georgia
Shame to have lost some real good info, hope it can be restored.

Bruce

#483050 - 03/25/13 11:43 pm Re: Missing Threads [Re: Gary E]  
Kevin (NZ). Offline
BritBike Forum member
Kevin (NZ).  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch, NZ
http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=236279&page=36

Link to cache copy of Hornet thread.

I am managing to retrieve pages of Gary's thread by using the cache copy as mentioned earlier.

By changing the page number (in this case 36) I can step through the entire thread. It is not easy and I am afraid that not every page may be accessible.

I am saving the retrieved page as a jpg imagine. Not ideal again as each page is about 9MB in size but at least we have the article in including pics.

I am really hoping that Morgan can save the day here.
Is there a chance the deleted files have gone into the equivalent of the 'Garbage Bin' which can be restored.

Why, Y, Dash Y..

#483051 - 03/25/13 11:55 pm Re: Missing Threads [Re: Gary E]  
wadeschields Online content
BritBike Forum member
wadeschields  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

NYC and York PA
I just checked the "tuning AMAL Carb" thread.... Still there! Allan's replies are gone. The plan to delete his posts seem to have worked properly in that thread.... Looking at that thread got me thinking that maybe Allan didnt want us to benefit from his experiences for some reason. My feeling is - if you are putting yourself out there by being the top poster continuously then you had better have tough skin cause someone is going to upset you somewhere somehow. This current situation already seems to be causing friction between fellow forum members. Silly since we all know that Morgan and everyone else on this site in general are doing there best to help everyone in the hobby. Sure egos get in the way sometimes but get over it if your upset cause no one is trying to upset you. I too hope that all of the threads come back. If they dont then we will just build them back up again. We still have our bikes /experiences/questions so we can most likely have massive threads again. Lets hope Morgan can actually restore them but I certainly wont hold anyone responsable. Lessons have been learned I am sure and I also agree that no one should be able to request that all of their posts be deleted - ever - for any reason! EVER ! Put it in the user agreement and I'll agree to it ....

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image]
#483061 - 03/26/13 12:41 am Re: Missing Threads [Re: wadeschields]  
BrizzoBrit Offline
Life member
BrizzoBrit  Offline

Life member

Brisbane, Australia
Yes Wadeschields, seems to have worked for some threads not others. Stupid thing is I dont recall AG posting very often in the Hornet thread. I checked some threads I've posted on and they are still there despite input from AG, his posts are missing from those threads. E.g. the "plug chop pic.." thread. Sounds like a bit of a glitch in the process. Lets hope the content is recoverable.

I have managed to get about 20% of the Hornet thread saved as web archive files (bit more useable than JPEG I think), but having trouble finding all the pages. I'm happy to share these with anyone.

Trev, if you have access to the pages can you 'save as' web files rather than JPEG. Was there any problem with the 'why dash Y' thread?

If anyone knows how to save more than a single webpage at a time I'd love to know.

The stuff that is has been inadvertantly removed far exceeded the value of a certain individual's posts. To be fair he may not have conceived this as a consequence, but still if you post you are responsible. If you want to leave, just leave without being petty.

I'd vote for changing the right for bulk removal. Obviously, if you feel strongly about it you could still go and delete each of your posts with the edit function.

Hoping for a good outcome.
Ray

BSA 1969 A65F
BSA 1966 A65H
Triumph 1968 T120
Kawasaki A1R
& too many projects!
#483066 - 03/26/13 1:21 am Re: Missing Threads [Re: Gary E]  
Mark Z Online content
BritBike Forum member
Mark Z  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Owego, NY, USA
I'm just curious as to why Allan requested to have his posts deleted. If there was some conflict or animosity, I didn't see evidence of it on the board. If anyone has some insight into this, I'd appreciate hearing it.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
#483067 - 03/26/13 1:28 am Re: Missing Threads [Re: Gary E]  
Gary E Offline
BritBike Forum member
Gary E  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Medford, Oregon
In the shout box, something about not wanting to be distracted by the forum in his school studies.

1967 BSA Wasp
#483072 - 03/26/13 1:49 am Re: Missing Threads [Re: Gary E]  
No Name Man Online content
Life member
No Name Man  Online Content

Life member

SE Ohio
Wade, that was well said.
Gary E, I completely understand your frustration, for what that is worth...
Gordon, I see where you're coming from but suggest we all try to not take comments personally that aren't intended to be personal. In my humble opinion personal comments are best left to private communications. I, for one, have a revulsion for hurting anyone's feelings. Quite aware everyone doesn't feel that way.
Mark Z, I am also curious about what happened with Mr. Gill. I agree that what is aggravating us all is likely due to a software error. Knowing Morgan as I do, I suspect he feels as upset as anyone, if not more so.
With any luck, some of us that are way smarter than I am will help to resurrect the missing threads.
I hope to never upset anyone with a mistake or thoughtless comment, but if I do, I hope they can get over it and forgive me.

Bill

69 A65T
71 B50T
85 K100RS
54/59 A10SR
69 B44VS
71 A65FS
Too much moderation is bad for you.

#483086 - 03/26/13 3:16 am Re: Missing Threads [Re: Gary E]  
Alex Offline
BritBike Forum member
Alex  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Seattle
Originally Posted By: Gary E

For me it only brought up the first page of the thread. The Hornet/Wasp et al thread has 64 pages.

You have to be very specific in your search. For the Hornet thread, put exactly this in the search box:

site:britbike.com "Re: Hornet, Wasp, Spitfire Hornet, Cyclone" "Page 1 of 64"

If you change only the page number, you will get that page and only that page. You can then even save as a web archive on your PC or just copy the text to preserve it and paste in the pictuers separately (right click "copy image location" will even get you the correct image link).

Hope that helps.

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
#483093 - 03/26/13 4:33 am Re: Missing Threads [Re: Alex]  
Steve Erickson Offline
Steve Erickson  Offline

The Northwoods... Michigan
But you can't (apparently?) link it back to BBF. I just tried with a newly deleted thread, and it didn't highlight the link to click on to.

Interestingly enough, the thread was one that Mr. Gill did not post to... yet it went away with the others.

But hell, youse guys on the Group W Bench just continue on blaming Gill, while you try to figure out what the W stands for...

#483097 - 03/26/13 5:33 am Re: Missing Threads [Re: Gary E]  
Boomer Online content
BritBike Forum member
Boomer  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Orygone
Curious, about the same time Morgan was working on revamping the site to make it more compatible to smart phones. Do you suppose that was just a coincidence?

Bill

Boomer
#483109 - 03/26/13 9:37 am Re: Missing Threads [Re: Gary E]  
LarryLebel Offline
BritBike Forum member
LarryLebel  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Canada
I put the calling all dash y and y bike owners in my favourites list and it appears to be intact with the last post 02/11 2013 by TwoAlpha

#483111 - 03/26/13 10:44 am Re: Missing Threads [Re: Gary E]  
markoz Offline
BritBike Forum member
markoz  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Au
I've seen this happen on a watch forum I am involved in. It is very sad and disruptive to the involved forums, both cases seem similar, well above average posters who became who became intolerant to some opposing opinion. The action of demanding deleting of posts and threads is selfish and done with the complete understanding of the consequences and disruption it has on the entire population, the shame is by doing this it has closed the door for them on something they obviously enjoyed.
I for one didnt mind Allen's posts he could have just slowed or disappeared for a while and returned fresh.
Shame, Shame, Shame!
Mark.

#483115 - 03/26/13 12:52 pm Re: Missing Threads [Re: No Name Man]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
Originally Posted By: No Name Man
...<snip>..Gordon, I see where you're coming from but suggest we all try to not take comments personally that aren't intended to be personal. In my humble opinion personal comments are best left to private communications......<snip>...Bill

Done....

Allan and I weren't friends...but I can't/won't sit still and let him be blamed in public for something that wasn't his fault. Bill....I'd do the same for you or anybody else on this board.

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 03/26/13 12:53 pm.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.408s Queries: 16 (0.007s) Memory: 1.0062 MB (Peak: 1.3624 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-22 18:34:39 UTC