BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Trelawney b44
Trelawney b44
UK Staffordshire
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
200 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,624 guests, and 584 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery
9959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 184
koan58 99
Stuart 86
NickL 73
Popular Topics(Views)
439,468 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,296
Posts632,516
Members9,959
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#282185 - 11/03/09 4:28 am Crazy November Road Trip  
kiwiinusa Offline
BritBike Forum member
kiwiinusa  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Colorado
This Thursday there are 3 of us heading out of Colorado towards the West Coast we will be staying on secondary roads and exploring as we go.
Route to be decided as we go and time frame will be dictated by breakdowns and weather.

If you would like to follow along there will be a ride report on ADV Rider, i will post a link .

So tell me what you think of the setup??

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516157

Last edited by kiwiinusa; 11/03/09 4:58 am.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#282229 - 11/03/09 3:01 pm Re: Crazy November Road Trip [Re: kiwiinusa]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
That "advrider" looks like a pretty good site.

But a man's only got so much KBRA time - the one thread on this trip was 20 pages long!

Sounds like it's going to be fun. I'll be following along to see how it goes, and see how the old Norton does!

Lannis

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#282243 - 11/03/09 4:05 pm Re: Crazy November Road Trip [Re: kiwiinusa]  
Alan Prudhomme Offline
BritBike Forum member
Alan Prudhomme  Offline
BritBike Forum member

FLORIDA
VERY NICE......MY KIND OF RIDING!!!! Only thing missing is a rear fender rack so you can cary more beer.

#282305 - 11/03/09 9:56 pm Re: Crazy November Road Trip [Re: Alan Prudhomme]  
kiwiinusa Offline
BritBike Forum member
kiwiinusa  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Colorado
Alan we will be moteling it so there will be plenty of time for beer however there might be a wee bottle of Scotch stashed somewhere.
Went on a shakedown down today with luggage ,Wolfman bags are really the greatest,everything stayed pretty much as it should except the replacement side panel i got for the Battery side , i lost mine off the bike a week or so ago and when i found it it had been run over , ordered another from Baxters but it turned out to be fiberglass and a shitty fit , it tries to fall off all the time so i'm go to have to bolt it down. I am going to have to find a good old school panel beater for my original one.

The screen i have up front is off an 01 BMW Dakar and mounted really easy , not a great look but with the weather we are bound to hit i think it will serve a purpose.

I have Gerbing gloves jacket and a GPS so will be testing the electrics to the max.Still have the original stupid High Rider headlight with a candle in brown bottle wattage so that will be fun.

#282323 - 11/04/09 12:22 am Re: Crazy November Road Trip [Re: kiwiinusa]  
Alan Prudhomme Offline
BritBike Forum member
Alan Prudhomme  Offline
BritBike Forum member

FLORIDA
Moteling it...CANDY ASS...Hell if the beer rack is big enough you could get wasted to the point that the snakes and spiders crawling across your face wouldn't bother you at all. HE HE HE. Wonder if the campfire kept those critters away in the old days?
I have a screen and throw over bags on my MK3 they go on or off in just a few minutes, nice for the road. I like your tank bag, might get one that matches my bags (after I pay my property taxes so they don't take my house away). Put a can of chain lube in your bag and lube your cables, what else could go wong....NORTON'S don't break down do they??? wish I could go but...thats another story. GOOD LUCK!

#282404 - 11/04/09 5:57 pm Re: Crazy November Road Trip [Re: Alan Prudhomme]  
gahi Offline
BritBike Forum member
gahi  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Moab, UT
Coming through Moab?

1957 BSA A7 - gone.
1968 BSA A65 Hardtail
1971 Commando
1977 XS650
#282474 - 11/05/09 12:18 am Re: Crazy November Road Trip [Re: gahi]  
kiwiinusa Offline
BritBike Forum member
kiwiinusa  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Colorado
I go to Moab to ride dirt as much as possible but I'm not sure we are doing it on this trip , basically going to take HYW 50 across and hit Lake Topaz then head North from there but you never can tell on an unplanned trip where the hell we will end up, if the weather turns to crap i'm all for heading to Mexico.

#282480 - 11/05/09 12:45 am Re: Crazy November Road Trip [Re: Lannis]  
kiwiinusa Offline
BritBike Forum member
kiwiinusa  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Colorado
Originally Posted By: Lannis
That "advrider" looks like a pretty good site.

But a man's only got so much KBRA time - the one thread on this trip was 20 pages long!

Sounds like it's going to be fun. I'll be following along to see how it goes, and see how the old Norton does!

Lannis

ADV Rider is a fantastic site , it's very busy with close to 100,000 members and some of the ride reports are just stunning from all over the world, mainly geared towards off-road but there is plenty there for everyone including Nortons from time to time.

I'm sure tonight there will be a proper Ride Report started for our ride and i will post it here as soon as it appears , we generally do a slideshow that we can post to while on the road.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522163
Be great to have some of you along, thanks for looking.

Last edited by kiwiinusa; 11/05/09 3:11 am.
#284429 - 11/18/09 6:47 am Re: Crazy November Road Trip [Re: kiwiinusa]  
kiwiinusa Offline
BritBike Forum member
kiwiinusa  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Colorado
Some pics from the trip , funny most of them are Norton pics but it does show a distinct variety of backdrops.

3250 miles and she started first kick every morning , the electric start works well but i like to kick it in the morning.

Best upgrades noticed on the ride , Progressive Rear Shocks were brilliant .Upgraded electrics kept up with heated jacket and gloves.

Worst item , pisspoor highrider headlight , like a candle in a brown bottle and actually very dangerous!!!I really need to find a 7" light for an upgrade and perhaps HID.

[img]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/kiwiinusa/DSC02431.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/kiwiinusa/DSC02434.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/kiwiinusa/DSC02435.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/kiwiinusa/DSC02440-1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/kiwiinusa/DSC02441.jpg[/img]

Last edited by kiwiinusa; 11/18/09 8:10 am.
#284460 - 11/18/09 1:27 pm Re: Crazy November Road Trip [Re: kiwiinusa]  
MexicoMike Offline
BritBike Forum member
MexicoMike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Mexico City, Mexico
Odd...despite what looks like a fair number of miles (per the various pics) it appears that all of the parts are still attached to the bike! smile

Seriously though - do you have a lot of stuff safety wired? I've been advised by a good friend that it is not really necessary to safety wire all of the Norton's parts, only the ones you want to keep!

#284468 - 11/18/09 2:12 pm Re: Crazy November Road Trip [Re: MexicoMike]  
Alan Prudhomme Offline
BritBike Forum member
Alan Prudhomme  Offline
BritBike Forum member

FLORIDA
NICE RIDE....I ENVY YOU ! I see the OLD GIRL took you out and brought you back, My MK3 is also a very dependable bike. There aren't too many 35 year old bikes around that can still make a long haul like that. Must have been fun kicking her over with the cold thick oil, snow & all.

#284480 - 11/18/09 4:32 pm Re: Crazy November Road Trip [Re: MexicoMike]  
kiwiinusa Offline
BritBike Forum member
kiwiinusa  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Colorado
Mike i haven't got anything safety wired not even any locktight .

I did have the nut inside one indicator come loose plus the cap on the oil tank came undone one day and scared the crap out of me by leaking oil everywhere.The one that i perhaps should have secured better was one of the header pipe head screw ins came undone in the desert and i was very lucky not to lose the 2 internal metal gaskets , but just waited for her to cool down and did it up and it was fine.

Alan this has always been an extremely easy bike to start ever since i got rid of the Boyer and went to Pazon ignition, i really only have to prod it through to get her to fire.

One of the very cold mornings i started her in the usual way, gas on wait a minute, choke and one kick then i just move off and let it warm on the road rather than sitting around having her splutter while the Mikunie choke does it's bit.
I got moving and a mile down the road turned the choke off with the lever on the bars, she was running ok but soon started to splutter and finally stalled on me at a set of lights , i pushed her to the side of the road and began the search for the problem ,the carb was completely iced up and did not allow the choke to turn off.
It didn't take too long for engine heat to thaw it enough for things to go back to normal.
Further up the road on the same day i was running over high country in CO at about 70mph and came up behind a car i pulled out to pass and gave her a good handful , the throttle pull was really hard but i was committed so kept going . After getting past the car i rolled off the throttle and it just stayed wide open [frozen again] luckily a couple of quick twists back and forward freed it up and i continued up the pass.

Last edited by kiwiinusa; 11/18/09 4:34 pm.
#284483 - 11/18/09 4:40 pm Re: Crazy November Road Trip [Re: kiwiinusa]  
kiwiinusa Offline
BritBike Forum member
kiwiinusa  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Colorado
I really need to upgrade the lighting on her so does anyone here have any great ideas about the route i should take with that?
I have leds in the taillight and my sparks stator seems to be putting out plenty of juice as i can run heated jacket and gloves and GPS without a problem .

#284551 - 11/19/09 1:44 am Re: Crazy November Road Trip [Re: kiwiinusa]  
Alan Prudhomme Offline
BritBike Forum member
Alan Prudhomme  Offline
BritBike Forum member

FLORIDA
I switched My exhaust nuts to the brass ones, once they are tightened they don't come loose. In fact they take a good deal of force to remove, they expand at the same rate as the alloy head. Theres no need for the tab washers and you will not ever have one come loose and destroy the threads. I too have the Bulbs that last forever LED tail light and the LED turn signals with running lights. I also converted the dash lights to LED's all but the alt light(LED would not turn off) I have to spend some time to find the right resistor to make it work. There isn't much left to draw amps....I had a Boyer ignition on My 750 "S" which drew 3.5 amps, I thought that was a bit much, still running points on the MK3.

#284558 - 11/19/09 3:43 am Re: Crazy November Road Trip [Re: Alan Prudhomme]  
MexicoMike Offline
BritBike Forum member
MexicoMike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Mexico City, Mexico
I asked about safety wire in general but the only thing on my Commando that is safety wired are the exhaust nuts which are wired to the nuts/studs holding the rocker covers in place. The bike has virtually every important bolt drilled for safety wire by some previous owner but none of them are wired at the moment.

After some cajoling at the Motoclassico meeting last week, I have agreed to ride it next year on the La Carrera Pan America so I'm thinking that I may utilize those drilled fittings... wink

Moderated by  Dave Comeau 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.815s Queries: 15 (0.072s) Memory: 0.9096 MB (Peak: 1.1547 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-24 03:50:27 UTC