BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
dommie90
dommie90
bac o burk qld
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
197 registered members (21inGoldie), 1,634 guests, and 515 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Berni, johnguppy, michael morgan, Xavier, J. Grant
9953 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 180
koan58 95
Stuart 82
Popular Topics(Views)
435,061 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,247
Posts631,778
Members9,953
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#264207 - 07/12/09 1:16 am fiberglass tank problem  
Steve in Ohio Offline
BritBike Forum member
Steve in Ohio  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Central Ohio
Well all good things end. I had my hornet tank refurbished, sealed with Caswells, repainted and ready to go. I was putting the roll pin back through the fuel cap and the neck of the tank when I noticed that the neck was a little askewed. Stopped working and saw that the neck had broken away from the main part of the tank, not too much, but enough to make me think I had ruined a big investment. I got the roll pin backed out and the neck was able to be pushed down until it was in about the correct spot. Now I have to repair this. I was thinking JB Weld around the neck where it had come loose or what. The paint job is perfection (done by a Corvette restoration guy) and don't want to ruin the tank. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Steve in Ohio

'68 A65 Bitsa
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#264233 - 07/12/09 6:31 am Re: fiberglass tank problem [Re: Steve in Ohio]  
pokie Offline
BritBike Forum member
pokie  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Missoury
Bummer, Steve,...Had the identical problem some time ago with a Spit tank. Agonized over it and decided to use the universal cure, J.B... Has worked for 12 years - - no leak, no break. Just take pains to apply it rapidly to avoid sagging and drips, and as soon as possible flip the tank upside down and balance it on the filler neck on waxed paper. Better to have the glop where you can sculpture the excess in about an hour or two ( before it vitrifies). You will be pleased, and it is no harder than transplanting a kidney. Bon chance, Pokie

The fewer there are, the greater the value of each......particularly human beings.
#264259 - 07/12/09 11:46 am Re: fiberglass tank problem [Re: pokie]  
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Carteret, NC
Steve,
Sorry for your troubles, especially after painting. I have used a marine epoxy called Marinetex (like JB Weld) to repair leaking steel tanks on a couple of bikes. One tank had many leaks due to pin holes from rust. Neither tank leaks to this day after the repairs. Fortunately I discovered the leaks before painting and I was able to lightly sandblast the affected areas to promote good adhesion and file and sand rough spots. I then treated the inside of the tank with a tank sealer recommended by Ed V. You can probably stuff a rag inside the tank to keep sand out and tape off areas that might get scuffed in the sand blasting process. I used a little $20 sand blaster i bought from Harbor Freight or one of those tool supply catalog houses.

Good Luck.

Mr Mike

#264299 - 07/12/09 3:20 pm Re: fiberglass tank problem [Re: Mr Mike]  
Alex Online content
BritBike Forum member
Alex  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Seattle
Steve, JB weld works quite well on fiberglass IME. So, do you think it was just structural or did the resin get soft. I found that my fiberglass tanks needed twice the recommended amount of caswell since the interior surface is much rougher than a steel tank, although all three tanks I've done now were a bit larger than the hornet tank.

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
#264306 - 07/12/09 3:53 pm Re: fiberglass tank problem [Re: Alex]  
goldstarfreddie Online content
BritBike Forum member
goldstarfreddie  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

new jersey USA
I would try to get the neck out completely and seal back in with marinetex i have used it on fiberglass&alloy with 100% results doing it partway may result in leaks later on

#264381 - 07/12/09 11:29 pm Re: fiberglass tank problem [Re: goldstarfreddie]  
Steve in Ohio Offline
BritBike Forum member
Steve in Ohio  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Central Ohio
I think it would be best if I could get the entire neck out of the tank, but don't know what would be the best approach since one side is still firmly attached. Anyone have any experience in removing a neck and cap without serious damage to the tank?
thanks,
Steve in Ohio

'68 A65 Bitsa
#265427 - 07/17/09 11:56 pm Re: fiberglass tank problem [Re: Steve in Ohio]  
Steve in Ohio Offline
BritBike Forum member
Steve in Ohio  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Central Ohio
Well after a few days of thinking I was able to manipulate the tank neck so that I was able to get it all the way off the tank and now am in the process of getting it all cleaned up to reinstall. Very little damage to the paint, only effected the neck so the main tank was in tact. Now to reinstall and get things going again.
Steve in Ohio

'68 A65 Bitsa

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.304s Queries: 15 (0.051s) Memory: 0.8353 MB (Peak: 1.0017 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-18 19:21:19 UTC