BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
John Michl
John Michl
Keokuk, Ia
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
212 registered members (68 royalstar tony), 1,745 guests, and 507 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
johnguppy, michael morgan, Xavier, J. Grant, Jerry
9952 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 177
koan58 91
Stuart 86
Popular Topics(Views)
434,442 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,243
Posts631,726
Members9,952
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#347103 - 12/08/10 4:03 pm Superglue mishaps - Spider takes a swipe!  
Grandad Offline
BritBike Forum member
Grandad  Offline

BritBike Forum member

The Crypt - South East England

Spider has been chuckling to himself about the time last summer when Howie accidently glued his eyelids together whilst attempting a roadside repair with superglue, much to the amusement of the Kentites. Spider now wonders how many other members of this site have experienced superglue disasters. Letís hear them lads. Donít be ashamed - we promise not to laugh (some hope!).

--------------------------------

Don't nail that lid down - I'm still bloomin' breathing !!
Click here to see SPIDER cartoons!
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#347115 - 12/08/10 5:18 pm Re: Superglue mishaps - Spider takes a swipe! [Re: Grandad]  
Roadwarrior Offline
Private Sponsor
Roadwarrior  Offline

Private Sponsor

El Dorado, California
I wonder if anyone has superglued their fingers to their zipper.

Bob

73 Triumph T140 Main Ride
70 Bonnie
67 BSA West Coast Hornet

56 Chevy

Who are the brain police?

#347123 - 12/08/10 5:54 pm Re: Superglue mishaps - Spider takes a swipe! [Re: Roadwarrior]  
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ger B  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NL
Quote:
I wonder if anyone has superglued their fingers to their zipper

No, but there was a movie here, where the main character got a flap of skin of his 'you know what' between his zipper.

Maybe an idea for Grandad: Spider got his 'what do you call it' in the chain of the bike...

Ger B

#347137 - 12/08/10 6:37 pm Re: Superglue mishaps - Spider takes a swipe! [Re: Grandad]  
MikeG Online content
BritBike Forum member
MikeG  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

New Hampshier USA
Well I did manage to stick a finger to a car windscreen while glueing a mirror lug back on. Only lost a little skin during the seperation process blush

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
#347141 - 12/08/10 6:55 pm Re: Superglue mishaps - Spider takes a swipe! [Re: Grandad]  
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ger B  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NL
My wife reminded me, it's about 35 years ago...

She sailed with me on a cargo ship.
One of the fitters in the engine room, Wong Yuk, a chinese man from Hong Kong also had his wife on board.
The wifes were often together, though the chinese lady spoke mainly Kantonese plus only three words of English,
and my wife (born and raised in Brazil) spoke mainly Portuguese an just a few words in Dutch.

Wong and I did a major overhaul on one of the generator diesels but were short of o-rings for the cylinder liners.
So we made them ourselves out of larger diameter rings, and... super glue (Aron Alpha, store in fridge).

All of a sudden Wong was gone and when he came back I thought he had made a sanitary visit.
But when we lowered a liner into the engine frame he burst out laughing when we saw my wife in the generator room,
steam coming out of her ears. Very unusual, wifes are not supposed to come to technical spaces by themselves.
She knew that and obeyed the ships rules.

"What did you do," she shouted to Wong. "Come to our cabin, both of you."

In my cabin we found mrs Wong, in tears, looking desperately at her left hand.
Mr Wong was not allowed to touch her, neither was I...

The chief mate cut her fingers loose again with a Chicks rasor blade.

Ger B

#347170 - 12/08/10 10:01 pm Re: Superglue mishaps - Spider takes a swipe! [Re: Grandad]  
Roadwarrior Offline
Private Sponsor
Roadwarrior  Offline

Private Sponsor

El Dorado, California
I used to work in an electronics factory where we used superglue to hold a few parts in place. I glued a few parts to my hand by accident. We always talked about the zipper possiblilty.

Bob

70 Bonnie
67 BSA West Coast Hornet

56 Chevy

#347172 - 12/08/10 10:32 pm Re: Superglue mishaps - Spider takes a swipe! [Re: Grandad]  
KarlB Offline
BritBike Forum member
KarlB  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Kent
We had an obnoxious mechanic in our instrument workshop. At lunchtime we superglued all his little BA spanners, all the tiny nuts and bolts from his repair job, his notebook, six inch steel ruler, coffe mug etc... on to his bench top.
My how we laughed, the foreman didn't though. But it was worth it... laughing

KarlB
Big day has come and gone and still no idea what Project 50 will be!
#347233 - 12/09/10 7:42 am Re: Superglue mishaps - Spider takes a swipe! [Re: KarlB]  
40 Below! Offline
BritBike Forum member
40 Below!  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Goldendale, Washington
Had an obnoxious guy in a cat tractor shop worked in. He left early one day for the dentist and locked his tool chests. An enterprising fella took the air powered grease gun, that was connected to a 55 gal drum of grease, and a ujoint needle. Through the cracks and seams of the chests managed to fill his entire tool chests. Pretty speechless next morning when he opened up and was a couple days cleaning up the mess and actually a pretty OK guy after that.

"Growing old is obligatory - growing up is optional"
70 TR6C, daily ride
66 TR6SR(750 street tracker)
?? TR25 ice toy
71 TR6 project
#347239 - 12/09/10 8:44 am Re: Superglue mishaps - Spider takes a swipe! [Re: Grandad]  
441/R3cafeSteve Offline
BritBike Forum member
441/R3cafeSteve  Offline
BritBike Forum member

BC Canada
RoadWarrior I tried to get funds for teh BSA stash you posted but could not make an offer I'd be happy with so passed. Too bad it was/is a mini BSA store.
On super glue, cyanoacrylic will almost start cotton on fire. Be careful pinching together fabric like cotton even some leathers.
drips will come off without remover just let the skin oils get to surface over 24hrs, the remover is HIGHLY carcinogenic.
That is why medical type is different now.
Steve
Excellent for razor blade model cuts but use thread attached on both sides glued to close. Yes like fake sticthes but the poly thread will stick under tension. Works but iragate the cut well with water even salty water.

The 441, most versatile BSA of the 60's
#347259 - 12/09/10 1:52 pm Re: Superglue mishaps - Spider takes a swipe! [Re: Grandad]  
flgoff Offline
BritBike Forum member
flgoff  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Middle Tennessee
Years ago I had a ring that had cracked on the underside of the finger. I dediced to super glue the crack so it woudn't pinch my finger. While attempting to do that I glued 2 of my fingers together. I left the ring on the table and drove in to town to buy a bottle of nail polish remover. It took a while but I got my fingers apart. When I started to pick up the ring, I found it was glued to the formica table top. This was the last straw! I was livid! I grabbed a wooden spoon, stuck the handle through the ring, lifted up and the handle broke. By now I'm in a complete rage. I shoved the stub of the handle through the ring and gave a mighty heave. What I ended with was my ring, firmly attached to the 3" disk of formica that had ripped out of the table top. Spoon, ring, and piece of formica all went to the trash bin.

Floyd (Member: ThreeMustGetBeers)

There are no demons inside my helmet; only the magic of the Universe gliding past my every sense.
1951 BSA C11(Leaky Lena)
2010 BMW G650 GS(Scarlett)
#347277 - 12/09/10 3:50 pm Re: Superglue mishaps - Spider takes a swipe! [Re: Grandad]  
No Name Man Offline
Life member
No Name Man  Offline

Life member

SE Ohio
Still chuckling...

69 A65T
71 B50T
85 K100RS
54/59 A10SR
69 B44VS
71 A65FS
Too much moderation is bad for you.

#347290 - 12/09/10 5:23 pm Re: Superglue mishaps - Spider takes a swipe! [Re: flgoff]  
MikeG Online content
BritBike Forum member
MikeG  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

New Hampshier USA
Originally Posted By: flgoff
Years ago I had a ring that had cracked on the underside of the finger. I dediced to super glue the crack so it woudn't pinch my finger. While attempting to do that I glued 2 of my fingers together. I left the ring on the table and drove in to town to buy a bottle of nail polish remover. It took a while but I got my fingers apart. When I started to pick up the ring, I found it was glued to the formica table top. This was the last straw! I was livid! I grabbed a wooden spoon, stuck the handle through the ring, lifted up and the handle broke. By now I'm in a complete rage. I shoved the stub of the handle through the ring and gave a mighty heave. What I ended with was my ring, firmly attached to the 3" disk of formica that had ripped out of the table top. Spoon, ring, and piece of formica all went to the trash bin.

Oh to have been a fly on the wall laughing laughing laughing
You win the prize Floyd g

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
#347299 - 12/09/10 6:08 pm Re: Superglue mishaps - Spider takes a swipe! [Re: 441/R3cafeSteve]  
Roadwarrior Offline
Private Sponsor
Roadwarrior  Offline

Private Sponsor

El Dorado, California
Hey CafeSteve. I never asked Chris what he wanted for the stash. Steve the Flea also contacted him, but I have not talked with Chris to see if it worked out. Maybe I should buy the stuff even though I am a Triumph guy mostly.

Bob

70 Bonnie
67 BSA West Coast Hornet

56 Chevy

#347306 - 12/09/10 7:44 pm Re: Superglue mishaps - Spider takes a swipe! [Re: Ger B]  
ChazzyB Offline
BritBike Forum member
ChazzyB  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Surrey, Olde England
Originally Posted By: Ger
No, but there was a movie here, where the main character got a flap of skin of his 'you know what' between his zipper.

I did that as a 9-year old - foreskin in trouser zip. You don't do it twice in your life. cry

Then again, I did the chilli thing too when I was somewhat older. But only once. blush

#347378 - 12/10/10 10:07 am Re: Superglue mishaps - Spider takes a swipe! [Re: Grandad]  
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ger B  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NL
Quote:
did that as a 9-year old

In the movie the main character was not 9 but in his early twenties,
and a gorgious red hair tried to free him while he was driving a car...

Who freed you?
blush

Ger B

#347483 - 12/11/10 12:57 am Re: Superglue mishaps - Spider takes a swipe! [Re: Grandad]  
ricochetrider Online content
Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Online Content

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
OK back to super glue...
i worked for many years in a high-end wood shop. we made some REALLY nice stuff, architectural millwork, cabinets, furniture and the like. sometimes when a bit of wood would split or break we would use super glue, with an *accelerator* to speed the cure process.

well, the boss's son, who nobody liked, sometimes worked with us. he was alone in the finish department's spray booth when he somehow super-glued his fingers to a large-ish bit of work, a table top or something... one of our guys was walking by when he heard "Pssst! hey come here, i need some help." don't you think we left him there for a while as we all came by to poke fun and laugh at him!

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

#390674 - 08/20/11 8:04 pm Re: Superglue mishaps - Spider takes a swipe! [Re: Grandad]  
Trevor Stapp Offline
BritBike Forum member
Trevor Stapp  Offline
BritBike Forum member

New Zealand
2002 and a mate and I are making up some trophies for a 100 years of Triumph bike show.
Stretching leather lookalike over the wooden shields and a dab of super glue.
My wife came out to see why two grown men were ggling like a cople of school girls, yep heres the pair of us with our fingers glued to the bloody trophy bases.

Slightly off subject, just finished a restoration on a 1970 Daytona, lots of polish including some silicone based spray on the seat.
Hop on start up and take off in fron tof a bunch of beer drinking mates.
Silicone had of course turned the seat into a ice rink and yours truely ended up on teh pavement with egg on his face.

Cheers,
trev

66T100SR Cafe racer
59 T20 Cub
1938 - 53 5T Bitsa project, now a roller
Duplex frame under the bench
#390797 - 08/21/11 4:18 pm Re: Superglue mishaps - Spider takes a swipe! [Re: Grandad]  
shel Online content
BritBike Forum member
shel  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

ohio
A guy I work with decided to put a little tire shine on the sidewalls while cleaning his bike one day.
He comes to the first right hand turn and lost the front end and went down in a heap. Fortunately he was pulling away from a stop sign so wasn't going very fast. Nothing hurt but his pride.

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
#390882 - 08/21/11 11:55 pm Re: Superglue mishaps - Spider takes a swipe! [Re: MikeG]  
ricochetrider Online content
Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Online Content

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
Originally Posted By: MikeG
Originally Posted By: flgoff

Oh to have been a fly on the wall laughing laughing laughing
You win the prize Floyd g

laughing
+1
that is EPIC.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

#391039 - 08/22/11 8:16 pm Re: Superglue mishaps - Spider takes a swipe! [Re: Grandad]  
DPO Offline
BritBike Forum member
DPO  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Douglasville (Atlanta) Georgia
Sliced left index finger with an Exacto knife, all the way to the bone, and before the blood appeared, I injected a drop of super glue into the gash, band-aided, no sign of cut, not even a scar today...

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back, you've highsided!"

1971 Triumph T120
2005 Triumph "America"
1976 BMW R90/6
#391179 - 08/23/11 1:45 pm Re: Superglue mishaps - Spider takes a swipe! [Re: Grandad]  
craigw Offline
BritBike Forum member
craigw  Offline
BritBike Forum member

new mexico
I had a neighbor with a teenage daughter. He complained that she always left her sandals & slippers everywhere, stepped out of them and left. When she needed them she slid back into them and walked off. That is until he superglued one of them to the floor, solved that problem.

#391182 - 08/23/11 2:07 pm Re: Superglue mishaps - Spider takes a swipe! [Re: Grandad]  
JD Offline
Moto-Amish
JD  Offline

Moto-Amish

Maryland
I had a boss (another archaeologist) who excavated Port Royal, Jamaica back in the 80s. They were opening a big museum exhibit with a bunch of big-to-dos and he ended up repairing a piece of pottery quickly with some superglue. He touched his eyebrow and his fingers stuck. Fortunately, he was able to get it unglued just before Margaret Thatcher showed up.

Josh

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.171s Queries: 15 (0.028s) Memory: 0.9677 MB (Peak: 1.2889 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-18 00:53:16 UTC