BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auction JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auction
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Steve m
Steve m
Billings,Mt
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
196 registered members (1xfatboy), 1,886 guests, and 557 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ashley, HerbertG, WilliamLangton, Dubdoc, Tom Mullin
10070 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
koan58 86
Lannis 82
NickL 75
Stuart 67
Popular Topics(Views)
501,277 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics65,995
Posts638,657
Members10,070
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
The Rod and Tappet
9 minutes ago
Thursday was 78 degrees out so I rode to work but of course I didnt see any daylight to enjoy the day but it was still warm when I left work at 8 PM. Being only 2.5 miles from work I felt like I needed to just keep going when I saw my turn coming up to go home. I only rode for a couple extra mile but on the way back I notice a place I hadnt seen before. (cause I dont go past it normally) But it looked interesting and there were bikes in the parking lot so I went in. There were more people then there were teeth in the joint. The bartender , while she may have been a looker back in the day, was a bit worn thin. Looks and brains .... I ordered a local beer that she had never heard of but it was on tap. She said that she knew the budlight tap was beer but thats as far as it went.... Bud light = beer .... Ah !!!! You see where Im going with this. The old guy beside me at the bar starts telling me stories including the one how he got arrest for DUI while he was walking.... Then the bartender and the old guy and I hve a discusion about the gun laws in Texas and it seems that pretty much everything they told me would get me arrested. Like if I bring my gun to a bar I hd better give it to the bartender to hold because its a felony if I dont.... Well !! Thats not true cause its a felony as soom as I step through the door with a gun. And so many more untruths .... But it gets better.... The bartender asks if Ive seen the back garden. I did see that there were blue christmas light back there when I pulled in but I said no. So she shows me the dilapidated back garden... and tell me that the bar itself is pretty old . Been there since the 50's !! And that Bonney and Clyde were known to have frequented the place in their hayday ..... shocked Well with that info I must go back to this place for sure. Cheep entertainment of this caliber is hard to come by . You'll find me at the River Bottom Pub.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Skip forward to Saturday (today) and I find myself back at Big D cycles. Alway something to see and talk about there
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
62 1,677 Read More
GARAGE SALE- The FREE Private Buy-Sell BOARD
59 minutes ago
Thanks all. I have had a time looking through boxes and boxes and memorizing parts fisches. Not the easiest build for a bike I have had so far, but it is coming along. Thanks again.
6 478 Read More
Triumph Bulletin Board
1 hour ago
Any takers? I know I have a reputation as being argumentative, yet I'm looking forward to a good night's kip.
I look forward to debating another day.
56 1,253 Read More
HOT LINKS Forum
1 hour ago
lot of thought went into that.

but unevenly.

the front forks/triple trees are very well made and really interesting.

fuel intake, not so much.

what's up with the rocker boxes? i'm unfamiliar with it.
11 273 Read More
BSA Gold Star Forum
1 hour ago
Getting close! Pulse rate will be getting higher!

Very nice..
14 704 Read More
BSA Gold Star Forum
1 hour ago
I spent a lot of time fiddling about with the valve lifter arm...as MM says, not getting the optimum angle at full 'pull' on the cable is not an issue (unlike the same scenario with front brake arms) - all you need to do is pull is lift the valve off its seat a few thou, and the available leverage is ample to achieve that - initially the pull is harder, though improves as the arm travels. The arm will never pass the fin, and not does it need to, though the setup needs to be in the right place to achieve the aim...

...warning here too, as an aside..don't use the lifter at high rpm: as the books alude to, it is possible for the inner lever (that acts against the rocker) to travel past the rocker arm, rendering the lifter useless. Short of somehow lifting the pushrod from the bottom (to move the rocker out of the way) the only way to get the inner lifter arm back to the correct position is to lift the rocker box off...which if you have rocker box studs means lifting the head...don't ask me how I know this.
22 576 Read More
Members Bike Projects
1 hour ago
Been working on this one for a couple of months now

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
0 6 Read More
AJS Matchless Forum
1 hour ago
I have never known any Plumstead product to make 32K, I am sure someone has though.
14 148 Read More
Triumph Bulletin Board
1 hour ago
A long shot . . . but, if you are using the original points and condenser ignition; a condenser that is failing can generate the symptoms you describe. This is particularly true if you are getting reverse pulses in the intake as well as often seemingly random backfiring in the exhaust.
16 395 Read More
The Competition Forum
1 hour ago
Originally Posted by Mike Baker
Yea, K he gave me a printout. I just don't have a lot of patience to learn photo posting. PM me your phone # and I'll send you a picture of it.

you need to get off your ass and put up pictures of your whole machine

don't you have a teenager around somewhere? they're very useful shortcuts for ephemeral technology.

i have lots of teenagers so when you send me something we can put it up
78 12,859 Read More
Triumph Bulletin Board
1 hour ago
I would be very interested in anyone's relatively recent experience with these tanks as well.
1 95 Read More
BSA Bulletin Board
1 hour ago
I got that the timing bush is shorter and recessed into the case. So the outer thrust washer is running on the aluminum case (and maybe the end of the timing bush)? That was what I objected to. If two flanged bushes were used for the crank (with the outer flange in the case recess), all the shimming would be on the outer thrust washer and it would run against a proper bearing (meaning replaceable if needed).
I am not clear on why the drive side shimming is needed. That controls the crank movement to the left and the thrust flange of the timing bush controls the right.
53 3,408 Read More
BSA Bulletin Board
1 hour ago
Took it out for another 20 minutes and the smoking has subsided quite a bit so I'll keep doing that and hopefully all will be well. One quick off-topic question....is there anything to know about shifting? Mine shifts well up and down through the gears but I did have one grinding incident when I stopped with the clutch in and the bike in third. When I downshifted at a stop from 2nd to first it crunched. Still seems to be running a bit rich and my ammeter is now generally in the negative range so will have to check that and the ignition. Still original condensers that are at least 40 years old but I will probably change to EI rather than replace stock ignition parts. I had so much fun riding it today so thank you top everyone for all the advice and help to get me going again.
42 1,029 Read More
Triumph Bulletin Board
2 hours ago
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike
[Linked Image]

why is your oil green?

are you running brad penn in this motor?

i used brad penn 30W to break in mine, and i'm still using it.
15 290 Read More
Triumph Bulletin Board
2 hours ago
It could not fit any sensible motorcycle wheel, except in a circus maybe.
I doubt that there is any realistic way of adapting it either, apart from cut and shut maybe?
6 147 Read More
Triumph Bulletin Board
3 hours ago
Hi Brett 'tis me again,

I fully concur with what has been said so far.

Yet to absolutely eliminate the possibility of head gasket leak, or indeed some other possible leakage paths, are you able to apply pressure via a plug hole?

It seems that this ongoing doubt persists, this would be a way to either identify it, or eliminate it.

Just a thought mate
12 534 Read More
British Modified/Specials
3 hours ago
Rick

ISDT ?!?!!?! and a BSA?
Now you're talking my language - DIRT and British iron !
Does not get any better than that

POST A Pic - Please see if you can post a shot of the tank you are thinking about

Charlie
14 2,512 Read More
British Motorcycles in General
3 hours ago
Hi All,
I have a 61 Matchless with a Smiths Gauge reading 32545. Since I have not ridden this bike yet, I can't know if the last digit reads in tenths or not. So does it have 3,254.5 miles, or 32,545??
Thanks in advance!!!

Wilbur
0 20 Read More
Triumph Bulletin Board
3 hours ago
What type of float needles are you using? Plastic, brass or alloy? It can make a difference.
If brass, I'd recommend either of the others.
It will raise your fuel level by about 5mm, to where it was meant to be.
8 149 Read More
The Rod and Tappet
4 hours ago
I've long since quit using paper or composition gaskets on flanged surfaces like valve covers, timing cover, primary covers, etc.

I use Loctite 515 anaerobic gasket maker and nary a leak. Only thing I don't use it for is head gaskets.

This Loctite 515 or 518 is the ONLY thing that proper heavy diesel mechanics will use on these kinds of covers on big equipment ....

Lannis
20 642 Read More
Members Bike Projects
4 hours ago
Lining up for two hours of shop work, and a tornado hit … consisting of my three grandchildren and their parents. We had a great day together, and when Mom and Grandma were putting the 5,4, and 2-year-old to bed, I said “Come on son, I’ve got a commitment to meet” and we went out to the shop.
Sat down and had a very social time with brushes, rags, Qtips, solvent, 80’s music on the radio, talking of old times, and scrubbing up the Guzzi clutch cavity. We discussed how best to remove the rear main crank seal, and I also realized I’m going to need to replace the front transmission mainshaft seal. These dry clutches are a bugger to deal with …. !
But at the end, we got all the horrible black grunge (see past pictures) off and ready to do some actual engine and transmission work …
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
So that feels good, and I promise you I never would have done it if I didn’t know I had to account to the thread here. But my son and I had a great time talking old days over, and progress has been made ….
Lannis
38 801 Read More
British Motorcycles in General
4 hours ago
Well Rohan, it looks to be the same fibre glass as the Norton side cover I have but near all the parts (except generic) looked to be Triumph so thought it might be off the same being put in with the rest.

It came with many Lucas switch blocks, perches, levers, a lot of Amal parts, maybe 20 lbs of mostly Triumph fasteners so not sure it would be off a Honda.
There was so much good stuff (on closer inspection) I sent the 'older gentleman I purchased it off another payment.

The top picture is the mold side and the resin and pin holes are visible in places, I don't recall seeing anything of that construction on a Brit car either.
2 48 Read More
BSA Gold Star Forum
5 hours ago
I've had the same trouble with aftermarket parts. The inner lip is not quite long enough to get a good grip. Originals all have a good grip and are sometimes difficult to remove. That's why most are damaged due to prying with a screwdriver.
4 110 Read More
Ariel Forum
6 hours ago
The honing oil was delivered late afternoon so tomorrow is going to be a messy day. Today I decided to mount the route sheet holder. It has to be mounted at some point, and doing so now gets it out of the way.

It turned out to be easier than I expected thanks to the Ariel having a bracket for routing cables that I repurposed. Still, it took time since I had to machine a 3/4"-wide slot drill and tap four holes, and drill and countersink a fifth hole.

The cable bracket is shown in the photograph at the left, below. As can be seen it's made of fairly thin metal and is held against the top link of the forks by the bolt that holds the spring.

The Al bracket I made for the route sheet holder is shown in the other photograph. The piece with the black ball came with the holder and is what allows the position of the holder to be adjusted. What isn't apparent is that the thickness of the Al makes it a slip fit between the fork bracket and the handlebars so the weight of the holder actually will be supported by the handlebars, with the fork bracket just keeping it from slipping out of position. Because of other constraints the two 1/4-20 bolts only can have four threads in the Al bracket so I drilled and tapped the "black ball" for a 1/4-20 cap screw that is countersunk in the Al bracket.

I don't have a photograph of the complete assembly yet because I painted the Al black to match the bike and it has to dry overnight.
738 59,026 Read More
Members Bike Projects
6 hours ago
Yes on a non unit motor they seem to work quite well, with the opened to primary setup
the pulse is damped by the extra volume of air and the effect is not as good. I tried several
ways of siting the valve and changing the reed spring in it but did away with it in the end.
Although it means drilling the timing cover, the top of that we found to be the best place for
the breather when we raced a 650/750 before going to opened primary. The timing plug will
probably spit loads of oil out. A couple of blokes drilled the front of the cases and the void
into the crankcase area to help with the separation of oil from the gas. The classic drilling
the rocker cover also spits loads of oil.

Those threads are bsc they didn't change on a65's.
780 436,846 Read More
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership