BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Gunk
Gunk
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
rudi, Derek, Psychorider, Shedengineering, Shayne Brown
10860 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 172
reverb 64
DavidP 63
NickL 59
Popular Topics(Views)
1,005,864 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,747
Posts679,979
Members10,860
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
38 registered members (Andrew Dunham), 285 guests, and 508 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: T140 Left Hand side engine (?) noise [Re: DaveG] #786473 10/07/19 3:54 pm
D
DMadigan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
D
Why not run the engine without the chain to see if the noise is still there?

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: T140 Left Hand side engine (?) noise [Re: DaveG] #786503 10/07/19 9:15 pm
T
Tigernuts Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
T
Hmmm, I'm scraping the barrel for ideas now, but I have got one. Your use of the word 'whirring' is interesting. I;d been thinking it was more of a clacking sound, which is what mine was making. But whirring is a bit different.

A friend has a 3TA. He had hassles with oil spewing out everywhere, including the gearbox. He fitted a gasket behind the inner cover, which helped reduce the leakage, but since then, it has made whirring noise. He demonstrated it when he rode it over to mine the other day. My thought was that by fitting the gasket, the mainshaft has been moved several thou to the right, making the primary chain sufficiently mis-aligned to cause the whirring sound. The only problem with applying this theory to your bike is that his whirring occurs with the gearbox in neural whereas yours only occurs when in gear and the clutch engaged (therefore, when underway).

I suppose there's more tension on the upper run of the primary chain when in gear and pulling, which might make the noise a little bit louder, ie: enough to be heard? Could it be something like this, do you think?

If anything other than a blank space is visible here, something's wrong.
Re: T140 Left Hand side engine (?) noise [Re: DaveG] #786632 10/09/19 10:56 am
D
DaveG Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
D
Ok I am moving forward, I can't get the whirring back on jack with the bike running in gear - nothing AND I identified the clacking noise as the secondary drive chain hitting the engine mounting bolt that I had installed with the head of the bolt out instead of inside! All is back together awaiting next dry spell for another road test. BTW I also loosened the clutch spring nuts a little as they were farther in than just level with the plate as the manual suggested. Will update tomorrow.

Thanks all for comments

Re: T140 Left Hand side engine (?) noise [Re: DaveG] #786723 10/10/19 7:03 pm
D
DaveG Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
D
Ok today's update, after having reversed the bolt and readjusted the pressure plate, and both banging and whirring noises have gone! There is still something banging around but I am really happy to get to the bottom of all this! I now have a nearly new primary chain case (innards) and gearbox!

Thanks to all for your help and if anyone is looking for a bike oriented vote near Grenoble don't hesitate to look up Gite entre 2 temps on the web or airbnb

Re: T140 Left Hand side engine (?) noise [Re: DaveG] #786732 10/10/19 9:49 pm
T
Tigernuts Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
T
Really glad you got it sorted Dave - these things can drive a man mad! Like the website & F'book page by the way. I may ride over there next year some time.

If anything other than a blank space is visible here, something's wrong.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership