Britbike forum

T120 Pistons

Posted By: Peter Gascoigne

T120 Pistons - 03/13/19 10:04 pm

I've got a T150 which is out to 830cc and uses T120 pistons. I need three, but which make to go for? I've been looking at Nural, JCC and LF Harris (JCC in a Harris box?). Has anyone got anything good or bad to say about there makes, or alternative suggestions please?
Posted By: HawaiianTiger

Re: T120 Pistons - 03/13/19 11:56 pm

A subject talked about a lot around here. You could search....
However, JCC pistons are ubiquitous, cheap, weigh out and measure out better than you might expect.
I never had an issue with them in dozens of rebuilds over the last 25 years.
Rings.....that's another story altogether.....

Cheers,
Bill

Re: T120 Pistons - 03/14/19 10:23 am

Bill,

I did try searching, but I'm obviously not asking the right question!
Posted By: kommando

Re: T120 Pistons - 03/14/19 10:37 am

The JCC come in at least 3 flavours of box, the piston is common to all, rings can be either not supplied or supplied and one of several options depending on seller. They come as Craft Cycle which is the JCC own brand, LFH and the current Wassell Hepolites. Nural look to be part of Federal Mogul who bought the Hepolite factory but cannot use the Hepolite brand as they have licensed it to Wassell for motorcycle pistons, believe the factory is based in South Africa, the wonders of global suppliers.

Posted By: John Healy

Re: T120 Pistons - 03/14/19 1:08 pm

JCC is JCC's own brand. They come in JCC boxes when we get them direct. CyclePro is an outgrowth of the old Beck Arnley and is located in North Carolina. They organize and market CycleCraft brand JCC pistons. Also Emgo import, and distribute, JCC pistons in Emgo labeled boxes.

Trident .020" JCC pistons are getting harder to get. Because of the quantity required to get a production run organized, Emgo has chosen not to carry them any more. Because a lot of companies tie their purchases with Emgo, in order to reach the quantities required, I don' think we will be seeing any .020" JCC pistons any time soon. The World wide demand just isn't there. Over the past 40 years JCC pistons have supplied a quality product at a fair price.
Posted By: TripleTown

Re: T120 Pistons - 03/14/19 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by kommando
The JCC come in at least 3 flavours of box, the piston is common to all, rings can be either not supplied or supplied and one of several options depending on seller. They come as Craft Cycle which is the JCC own brand, LFH and the current Wassell Hepolites. Nural look to be part of Federal Mogul who bought the Hepolite factory but cannot use the Hepolite brand as they have licensed it to Wassell for motorcycle pistons, believe the factory is based in South Africa, the wonders of global suppliers.

Wassell own the Hepolite brand, trademarks and associated goodwill etc, purchased from Federal Mogul. As John states, JCC supply in their own brand, and to other re-sellers, including CycleCraft, Emgo, Harris etc.
The Nural pistons are still available via Federal Mogul, and have historically been reliable.
As Hawaiian Tiger suggests, rings is another subject altogether, although there are actually very few manufacturers out there.

Re: T120 Pistons - 03/14/19 4:54 pm

Thank you very much gents for your input. So it would seem JCC and Nural are a safe bet......... but which rings to use, Goetze?
Posted By: TripleTown

Re: T120 Pistons - 03/15/19 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Peter Gascoigne
Thank you very much gents for your input. So it would seem JCC and Nural are a safe bet......... but which rings to use, Goetze?

Goetze are as good as any, and they are usually available from most stockists, if the wholesalers have them.
© 2019 Britbike forum