Britbike forum

Image Size & Number VS File Size?

Posted By: ricochetrider

Image Size & Number VS File Size? - 09/04/18 1:36 am

Hi Morgan

So here's yet another question about photo posting here on BB.com:

The general "rule" whether it is written or unwritten, is that each post is limited to 10 images. Yet I sometimes can get as many as 13 or so images per post- not always but sometimes. This has led me to believe that there is a limit on file sizes that, based on rough calculation, equals 10 images.
If image file sizes vary, one may get more than 10, as I often do.

Am I on point here, brother? Or is this simply a random occurrence?

Thanks!
Posted By: GrandPaul

Re: Image Size & Number VS File Size? - 09/12/18 1:06 pm

I typically crop out excess background, then resize my photos to 800 pixels wide by whatever size it relates to in the vertical, so that the photo fits right across the screen on my laptop on post viewing. Not everyone has a large screen, so this helps a greater percentage of viewers to be able to appreciate the photo without zooming (if too small) or scrolling (if too large)

1200 pixels wide:

[Linked Image]

800 pixels wide:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Morgan aka Admin

Re: Image Size & Number VS File Size? - 09/12/18 1:10 pm

Tom

do you mean that you attach photos with your post by the attach manager or
do you mean that you use an image link? [img]http://[/img]

Posted By: GrandPaul

Re: Image Size & Number VS File Size? - 09/12/18 1:11 pm

Hmmmmm.....

Is BB.Com now shrinking oversize photos automatically?
Posted By: Morgan aka Admin

Re: Image Size & Number VS File Size? - 09/12/18 1:32 pm

Grandpaul, yes in earlier versions the photo was fixed and too large photos in width destroyed the layout for all posts within that thread.
No the software expose it to the size of your screen.. so it fits large / small computer screens and phones etc.
This applies to [IMG] bbcode tags only. Any images past the limit 1920 will not be parsed.

Tom
How many images are allowed to be inserted in a post. This applies to [IMG] bbcode tags only. Any images past the limit will not be parsed. The limit is set to 15 images.

For attachments the limit is set to 5 only with ea post. the max size in MB is 8MBx5=40MB, the software will reduce all attachments to 800px each automatically. This will reduce the MB size into KB's and voila the page is loadable..

hope I made it sort of clear.
Posted By: ricochetrider

Re: Image Size & Number VS File Size? - 09/19/18 5:09 pm

Morgan, sorry I forgot to check back on this. Thanks for clarifying. I'm talking about using the img link function. We've come a long way since the Olde Days!
© 2019 Britbike forum